"Unassisted Homebirth: An Act of Love" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-23-2001, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
by Lynn M. Griesemer. Has anyone read this? I've heard some wonderful recommendations for it. I am looking for a touching and spiritual book to read as I prepair for the birth of my second child. I did a lot of the more typical natural parenting reading when I was pregnant with my first and I am looking to take it a step further this time. The thing about books that are considered "fringe" is your not going to find them at the local library, you know? They are also usually things that I don't want to ask say my mother to get me for my birthday or something (can of worms-stress I don't need). Plus, they usually have to be specail ordered. I am trying to reduce my spending, so I want to be certain that I will benifit from a book before I purchase it. Does anyone have any thoughts on this particular book or any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2001, 08:05 PM

Hi mamamel,
I havent read the one you mentioned but have you read Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin? Its SO inspiring and beautiful!
Old 12-14-2001, 09:54 PM

I know what you mean about the books you want to read not being at the library. Frustrating when you have a limited budget.

I did buy Lynn Griesemer's book and was not all that impressed, although I know other people recommend it highly. I got a bit more out of Marilyn Moran's Pleasurable Husband/Wife Childbirth.

I found Jeannine Parvati Baker's Prenatal Yoga and Natural Childbirth inspiring in a way that suits my personality (though I have to admit I don't do yoga!) I also find Leilah McCracken's writing (birthlove.com) inspiring, though I have not read her book. I have sort of a love/hate relationship with Spiritual Midwifery; though I love the stories, I don't agree with some of the midwifery advice. Nontheless, it was one of the few books that I continued to read during the last few weeks of my pregnancy.

I would really recommend the video A Clear Road to Birth, too!

User Tag List