attention Harry Potter freaks...attention.... - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 215 Old 10-13-2006, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Kreacher is in, but Dobby and Winky are out.

Hold on, they don't call me the link queen for nothing.
http://www.canmag.com/news/4/3/5329

How are they going to manage this?

I wonder if they are going to put him in the movie for book 6? There was so much with doby being loyal and Kreacher being unloyal.

I know there is no way to fit all the books into a movie, but sometimes I get so bothered with what they take out. :
#122 of 215 Old 10-13-2006, 04:47 PM

they should just make the movies longer to include more....

do they really think all us harry potter freaks would complain they were too long?

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#123 of 215 Old 10-13-2006, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyhaugh View Post
they should just make the movies longer to include more....

do they really think all us harry potter freaks would complain they were too long?
NO WAY!! If they made the movies to be THE BOOK. I'd be thrilled ! :

Yes, I'd sit there for 4 hours. No need for intermission...wait, my kids would probably like it if they had one....

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#124 of 215 Old 10-13-2006, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnBreeze View Post
NO WAY!! If they made the movies to be THE BOOK. I'd be thrilled ! :

Yes, I'd sit there for 4 hours. No need for intermission...wait, my kids would probably like it if they had one....

Or at least flim it all like Lord of the rings and sell them as extended DVD's later.

My only guess why they don't is it would take too long and they are trying to get these movies done before the kids get married and have kids of their own!
#125 of 215 Old 10-13-2006, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous4_20 View Post
Um, no offense to anybody who likes lots of pink and cat china, of course. But that's just really over the top.
*snort*

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#126 of 215 Old 10-16-2006, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Kreacher is in, but Dobby and Winky are out.

Hold on, they don't call me the link queen for nothing.
http://www.canmag.com/news/4/3/5329
OOOO.... nice DDDDC AM!!
#127 of 215 Old 10-16-2006, 04:46 PM

Thanks! I have no idea where it came from, LOL!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#128 of 215 Old 10-19-2006, 12:07 PM

and where did IT go? pm me
:
mamarana~how'd you do the cool siggy?

I'm a big re-reader too. How are they leaving out dobby? :
I'm not familiar with the Umbridge actress?(too lazy to scroll back for her name) what else is she in?
#129 of 215 Old 10-19-2006, 01:03 PM

Imelda Staunton

She was in "Peter's Friends" with Professor Trelawney and Professor Lockhart. (Emma Thompson and Kenneth Branaugh.)

She was in "Much Ado About Nothing" with Professor Lockhart and Professor Trelawney.

She was Charlotte Palmer in "Sense and Sensibility" with Professor Trelawney, Professor Snape and Minister Fudge.

She was in "Shakespeare In Love" with Arthur Weasley.

She was in "David Copperfield" with an adorable and very impressive Daniel Radcliffe in the title part, and also Maggie Smith (Prof. McGonagall) and Zoe Wanamaker (Madame Hooch).

She was Bunty in "Chicken Run". (Though I'll be darned if I can remember which biddy is which.)

She was the cook, Mrs Blatherwick, in "Nanny McPhee" with Prof. Trelawney.

She was nominated for an Oscar for Vera Drake in "Vera Drake".

Anyway, except for Vera Drake, those are the films I've seen her in. She's been in a lot more.

#130 of 215 Old 10-27-2006, 02:54 PM

wow a harry potter thread made it all the way to page 4, and 8 days with no posts.....

thats totally weird

#131 of 215 Old 11-01-2006, 07:38 PM

Has anyone seen this?

http://www.alivans.com/custom/cart/edit.asp?p=96324

It looks really interesting!! I'll probably buy it just to bide my time until the 7th book comes out!!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#132 of 215 Old 11-02-2006, 08:02 PM

hmmmm... i'll be interested to hear what you think of it, stacey. no money to order it myself, right now.
#133 of 215 Old 11-16-2006, 02:45 AM

At last! A OotP movie poster! And it's cooooool! (I'm such a grown-up.)

Lord Voldemort

#134 of 215 Old 11-16-2006, 12:15 PM

I keep telling dh that I feel like a 15 yr old with these books. I'm so thrilled by them,and can't wait for the last one.

I'm even considering starting all over, and seeing if I can finish the series again before the 7th book comes out.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#135 of 215 Old 11-16-2006, 06:52 PM

Sooooo, will I get this thread in trouble if I ask for some good sites for fan fic? I was just starting to get into it when the other thread shut down... I'm not looking for anything risque or whatever, just some general recommendations. Can I ask that without getting this thread in trouble?

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#136 of 215 Old 11-16-2006, 07:11 PM

I still haven't seen the other thread, so, if your worried about the links having this thread shut down, you can ask for them to be PM'd to you!

#137 of 215 Old 11-17-2006, 01:44 AM

I can't see how it would be a problem to make suggestions here. Just so long as the conversation doesn't decompose into smutty talk!

Sycophant Hex

Online Wizarding Library

My two favorites. Brisen, you might already be aware of these two.

Obscurus Books

This one has many of the same authors that are already at the other two sites. But it includes "Heart Over Mind" by Regann that I haven't seen anywhere else. (Of course I haven't looked very far.)

There's one more that's epic that I'll direct you to when I can remember what it is called. Wonderful, long, complex, with the world's most frustrating ending. Great reading!

ETA, found it!
Chaos Is Come Again

#138 of 215 Old 11-17-2006, 10:38 AM

Thanks, journeymom! I have found myself reading more Hermione/Snape stuff

#139 of 215 Old 11-18-2006, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post
BAH! Curse you! 2:30am and I'm only on Ch 14!

#140 of 215 Old 11-18-2006, 06:10 PM

Mwahahahahaaa!

Probably best not to attempt to read it all in one go. It's novel length, and a big novel at that. Staying up till the wee hours reading fanfic is how I got into trouble around here!

#141 of 215 Old 11-18-2006, 10:26 PM

subbing...

i just found this thread so please forgive me if someone has already posted this link, but i find this site incredible http://www.hp-lexicon.org/index-2.html.

i wish i could attend hogwarts. *sigh*
#142 of 215 Old 11-22-2006, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post
I can't see how it would be a problem to make suggestions here. Just so long as the conversation doesn't decompose into smutty talk!

Sycophant Hex

Online Wizarding Library

My two favorites. Brisen, you might already be aware of these two.

Obscurus Books

This one has many of the same authors that are already at the other two sites. But it includes "Heart Over Mind" by Regann that I haven't seen anywhere else. (Of course I haven't looked very far.)

There's one more that's epic that I'll direct you to when I can remember what it is called. Wonderful, long, complex, with the world's most frustrating ending. Great reading!

ETA, found it!
Chaos Is Come Again

wow.... i just spent the past 3 days reading chaos, and it was really really good. the ending was definatly frustrating though

#143 of 215 Old 11-22-2006, 12:08 PM

I did end up trying to read it all in one go that night... at about 9 in the morning I hit the wall with two chapters left. At that point, I remembered the ending was supposed to be frustrating and could see where it was going, so I didn't mind delaying the inevitable. In a way, it couldn't have ended any other way.

#144 of 215 Old 11-22-2006, 11:55 PM

Back to the limits of the movies topic...I have seen a preview photo for OOtP of Harry's hand after detention w/Umbridge, and it says, "I will not break rules." (found it on leaky cauldron) Does he EVER write that? I thought the scar on his hand ended up reading "I will not tell lies" Kinda central to the overall plot of the Ministry denying the truth...

This does NOT make me feel confident that they will do a good job. That's my big problem with the movies, the relationships that anyone who has read the books knows are distorted by the films...as someone else said, adding all this Harry/Hermoine stuff and downplaying Ron/Hermoine...Poor Rupert, who's my fav actor among the young ones, really is getting the short end. I heard that they won't have his quidditch stuff in OOtP. Which means I won't get to see Luna in the hat!! Major bummer, that...

Still, I will be in line in July to see it...
#145 of 215 Old 11-22-2006, 11:57 PM

The movies never do a good job. I'm going to the premiere to check out Daniel Radcliffe, but I have no great expectations for the movie.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#146 of 215 Old 11-23-2006, 12:18 AM

None of the movies have done the books justice, there is just too much stuff to cram in a movie.

But of course, I will be going to see the movie after having re-read the series for a third time.

And J.K.Rowling better not kill off Harry too in her next book! Dumbledore was enough for me (I still think Snape is not evil, but that may be because I find Alan Rickman-snape hot).

I also wish I could attend hogwarts, I think I'd be in Gryffindor or Ravenclaw.
#147 of 215 Old 11-23-2006, 11:31 AM

PinkPixie:
Quote:
And J.K.Rowling better not kill off Harry too in her next book! Dumbledore was enough for me (I still think Snape is not evil, but that may be because I find Alan Rickman-snape hot).
I have read Book 6 once looking for evidence that he is the baddie and another time for evidence that he's "Dumbledore's man" as much or moreso than Harry. I'm pulling for the second. Seems to me that JK put too much effort into this character to just turn him into a stereotypical villain.

But that's also probably just the snarry speaking...

DD and I keep finding legends and stories that JK must have known...we have a book of lives of the saints, and the past week we have been cracking up...someone up there was getting us ready for the trailer and more HP talk...first there was St. Germain, whose childhood made HArry's life with Dursley's appear a picnic, but who, at early adolescence, is revealed to be a holy child. Then there was St. Kentigern, known as St. Mungo, who is a foster child living with monks, bullied by the boys who come to school because the other boys think he is beloved of the monks, who brings a pet robin back to life with his tears...and St. Hubert, who experiences conversion by encountering Jesus in the form of a stag...

The Middle Ages were an interesting time; people believed this stuff as truth; they would have read Rowling's books as documentary. tho' they may have been firing up the bonfires...)

Enough rambling from me...
#148 of 215 Old 11-23-2006, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPixie View Post
None of the movies have done the books justice, there is just too much stuff to cram in a movie.
Quote:
The movies never do a good job.
: Goblet of Fire was a disappointment in that area - except for the graveyard scene where Moldywart returns. Then the movie really took off IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlindeliasmom View Post
DD and I keep finding legends and stories that JK must have known...we have a book of lives of the saints, and the past week we have been cracking up...someone up there was getting us ready for the trailer and more HP talk...first there was St. Germain, whose childhood made HArry's life with Dursley's appear a picnic, but who, at early adolescence, is revealed to be a holy child. Then there was St. Kentigern, known as St. Mungo, who is a foster child living with monks, bullied by the boys who come to school because the other boys think he is beloved of the monks, who brings a pet robin back to life with his tears...and St. Hubert, who experiences conversion by encountering Jesus in the form of a stag...
If you like that kind of stuff, may I recommend the following podcast (you don't need an iPod to listen, just a conmputer): The Secrets of Harry Potter. Yes, it takes a decidely Catholic bent, it is put out by a catholic priest (Father Roderick), but it doesn't distract. I'm not Catholic - Christian, but not Catholic - and I absolutely this podcast. They delve deep into the mythology and legends and stories (especially from Britain) that JKR might have drawn on for inspiration. For example, one of the most fascinating things I have learned from this podcast is that - traditionally - the stag (i.e. Harry's patronus and "Prongs") the lion and the eagle (combine to get a Griffin - i.e. Gryffindor (which, BTW means Golden Griffin and was the symbol of King Arthur) were the enemies of the serpent (i.e. Slytherin). Just the sort of interesting thing that Fr. Roderick brings up in his podcasts.

So, again, darlindeliasmom, if you like that kind of stuff, I recommend The Secrets of Harry Potter.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#149 of 215 Old 11-23-2006, 11:18 PM

thanks for the rec, NewCrunchyDaddy. I realize I talk about this stuff too much when the 9-yr-old starts seeing connections to the books everywhere!!

Oh, I found a really old-fashioned Catholic family book online that listed the meanings of different symbols, and definitely say the griffin as a Christ image, as it's two parts reflect Christ's dual nature of mortal and divine. Maybe people with a minor in theology should keep their hands off...
#150 of 215 Old 11-24-2006, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlindeliasmom View Post
Maybe people with a minor in theology should keep their hands off...
Yeah ... there is a point where you start to read too much into things. Believe me, I know. English Lit Major with an emphasis in Gothic Lit here. I just did a junior thesis on Dracula by Bram Stoker outlining feminism and the female vampire as symbolic of the Victorian fears of the "new woman," the rejection of motherhood, and infanticide. So, believe me when I say I know about reading too much into a piece. :

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page