"We need to talk about Kevin" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 12-23-2006, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just finished listening to this on CD, and I feel like I need to process through it. Anyone up for a discussion?
#2 of 21 Old 12-25-2006, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Because on a site full of mamas, surely someone else has read a work of fiction all about a mother.
#3 of 21 Old 12-26-2006, 02:37 PM

I'm sorry, I haven't read it. It is now on my library list though. If I get out today, I will pick it up.
#4 of 21 Old 12-26-2006, 03:41 PM

I had requested it from my library. I will check back to chat about it!
#5 of 21 Old 12-27-2006, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
I had requested it from my library. I will check back to chat about it!
Cool. It's a very interesting book in terms of how it portrays motherhood, children, the United States, etc.
#6 of 21 Old 12-27-2006, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainLaurel View Post
I just finished listening to this on CD, and I feel like I need to process through it. Anyone up for a discussion?
Yikes, no kidding! I read it about 6 months ago and it wouldn't get out of my head for weeks! One of the most incredibly sad books I've ever read.

computergeek2.gif

#7 of 21 Old 12-27-2006, 09:28 PM

Are you guys talking about Kevin Trudeau CD?
#8 of 21 Old 12-27-2006, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanSun4 View Post
Are you guys talking about Kevin Trudeau CD?
Don't think so...I think they are talking about this book
We Need To Talk About Kevin Sounds like a good read, but I don't think I'm up for something that heavy at this point in my life. I've never heard of it before.
#9 of 21 Old 12-28-2006, 03:29 PM

I read this a couple of months ago. WOW was all I could say. It was disturbing. Extremely well written though. The author is not a parent...I was sort of surprised at that, as I thought she got some descriptions of being a mom spot on.

I am not sure I could listen to it on CD...I can only do "light and fluffy" audiobooks, LOL.

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#10 of 21 Old 02-26-2007, 12:36 AM

I was just thinking about this book this morning and wondering if anyone at MDC had discussed it already. This thread came up when I searched...

This was one of the most terrifying and haunting books I have ever read. The whole nature vs. nurture aspect is so interesting. I was pregnant at the time and it gave me nightmares for weeks.
#11 of 21 Old 03-10-2007, 11:45 PM

It was an interesting book. I couldn't help thinking through the whole thing what an awful mother she was. I understand that some people have a harder time adjusting, but there were so many times when she could have handled things better. I can't believe a baby could really be born with an antisocial personality disorder.

Shannon, mama to Jack :
: : : : : :
#12 of 21 Old 03-23-2007, 09:05 PM

I read it too, about a year ago. It was very disturbing. I don't quite know what to think! On one hand I agree, I don't think a baby could be born like this. Or at least I don't like to believe it! Then again, I have a hard time understanding how anyone can/does get to be like this - especially knowing people who were raised in truly horrible situations but still turned out to be compassionate, caring people. It's a lot to think about. And really difficult to think about now that i'm a mom.
#13 of 21 Old 03-24-2007, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sntm View Post
I can't believe a baby could really be born with an antisocial personality disorder.
I can- but I think intense intervention can make a huge difference. Problem is, not everyone has it in them to give all to a kid who's truly unpleasant to be around....
#14 of 21 Old 03-25-2007, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sntm View Post
It was an interesting book. I couldn't help thinking through the whole thing what an awful mother she was. I understand that some people have a harder time adjusting, but there were so many times when she could have handled things better. I can't believe a baby could really be born with an antisocial personality disorder.
I have to wonder what role the way she was parented, with a mother who had to be taken care of by her children and a dead but glorified father, had to do with her lack of parenting ability.
#15 of 21 Old 03-29-2007, 12:35 AM

I, unfortunately, read this book while I was pregnant with my first son. Scared the living heck out of me. I was really disturbed and unsettled by this story...the writing was amazing and the character development was impecable. I didn't like any of the characters, but understood their motivations throughout. I still think about it from time to time, but I don't know if I would recommend it to another mother. This was a tough read.
#16 of 21 Old 04-23-2007, 05:52 PM

I just finished this book. I really enjoyed it. I just wondered why she never took Kevin to therapy and also why she stayed with her husband. She kept saying how much she loved him, but I thought he was really awful to her and a pretty bad parent. I didn't think she was a terrible mother, though. Not a good one, but her circumstances were difficult. I actually had a lot of sympathy for the mother.

Stephanie
#17 of 21 Old 04-24-2007, 02:01 PM

Oh yes, what a great book. I too foud it highly thought provoking, and could not put it down. SHe has a new book out now too, that I have at home, yet to start.

I dunno, I just thought it was important, what she was doing. I love thought provoking, analytical looks at motherhood. I thought this author really did it brilliantly.

WIsh I remembered more of the particulars though, so I could join in more efficiently but I read it over a year ago.

I think I heard it's turning into a movie?
#18 of 21 Old 05-10-2007, 04:04 AM

I just finished this book yesterday and was hoping there was a thread on it.

I felt exhausted when I finished it, like it sucked the life out of me. While I was reading it there were moments I could not bear to read on and I couldn't bear not to.
I would rate it as one of the best books I have ever read.
I though Shriver did an excellent job of not giving anything away and continually maintaining suspense.
The husband being the 'all American boy' and she the more bohemian,
the state of society in general, nature Vs nurture, etc, so much woven into one book.
Outstanding, I am now nervous of reading her other stuff as I fear I started with her best.
#19 of 21 Old 05-10-2007, 08:59 PM

I also agree that this is a great book. Chilling. I think I may have read it a little too soon after the VA shootings though. It was so well written and believable that I was unsure whether this was a true story or not. I was going to type in the sons name online to see if this one actually happened.
#20 of 21 Old 05-14-2007, 01:24 PM

[QUOTE=sunset; I am now nervous of reading her other stuff as I fear I started with her best.[/QUOTE]

Sunset-Her newest book "The Post Birthday World" is also excellent. She is an amazing writer.

Stephanie
#21 of 21 Old 05-14-2007, 04:46 PM

The review states:

"This (the letter-writing narrative) seems a gimmicky way to tell the story, but is in fact surprisingly effective in its picture of an affectionate couple who are poles apart, and enables Shriver to pull off a huge and crushing shock far into her tale."

Could someone spoiler this for me? If it is what I think it is, only after reading the review, I don't want to read the book.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page