January 2007 Book Challenge - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#211 of 237 Old 01-29-2007, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Girl in Hyacinth Blue by Susan Vreeland

Very enjoyable and a quick read. It traces the history of a painting from owner to owner. I really enjoyed the impact the painting has on each owner, and how each of them interpret it differently. Very beautifully and thoughtfully written.

#1 The Hours #2 Girl in Hyacinth Blue

~Beth, mama to two amazing girls, ages 12 and 6~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#212 of 237 Old 01-29-2007, 10:58 PM

2007 reads so far[/QUOTE]

Hi Chanale,

I clicked on your link and saw that you have over 5,000 books posted- WOW!
I am just wondering, have you always recorded each book you read. I recently started a book journal and have pieced together several hundred books I remember reading. I found a few lists from past journals and went through my book shelf of course. I am just curious how long it took you to compile such an awesome list. I wish the library had a lifetime history, except I have moved so much I don't know how much help that would be.

I am going to peruse your list and see if I jog my memory, fun!

Blessings,

~Traci, wife to DH 4-88. Mom to 3 homebirthed sons, 22,20&17

The Blue Door Farmhouse & traci.mymomentis.biz

#213 of 237 Old 01-29-2007, 11:18 PM

Traci -

No, but I wish I had! The only year I have record for is 2006; I only kept track of adult (and YA) fiction and non-fiction (I don't keep track of partial reads, cookbooks, craft books, reference books, or DD's read-alouds). I used to read annually several hundred books cover-to-cover in years past, so I really wish I had kept records before 2006.

My catalog includes wish lists and library books, so I don't own 5,000 books (maybe 4,000 though).

If you're interested in LT (up to 200 books is free), we have a very small group there: http://www.librarything.com/groups/motheringcom. So far, the top shared books (unweighted) are The Baby Book and Our Babies Ourselves, although Natural Family Living: The Mothering Magazine Guide to Parenting is the top weighted book - go figure.

chanale ✡, ❖bibliophile❖ ❇vegan❇ mom to diva (5½)
madly in with spiritwolf, dad to (9) & (5½)
#214 of 237 Old 01-30-2007, 01:01 AM

Suzanne, I just joined the mdc group on library thing -- thanks for letting me know about it. you and i share 36 books so far.

so am i understanding correctly that you yourself put all books you've read on there, not just books you own? we've just recently joined, so still figuring out exactly how we're going to use it... i just hit the 200 book limit tonight, but we have christmas money from my grandma that i think we will use for a membership when dh gets home with the credit card....

(i'd feel worse about being off topic in this thread if the month weren't almost over: )
#215 of 237 Old 01-30-2007, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufomander View Post
so am i understanding correctly that you yourself put all books you've read on there, not just books you own? we've just recently joined, so still figuring out exactly how we're going to use it... i just hit the 200 book limit tonight, but we have christmas money from my grandma that i think we will use for a membership when dh gets home with the credit card....
Yep, you can put everything you've read on there. I use a tag "owned" to indicate what I actually own. But now that I've discovered the library (duh) I'm not buying as many books and what I own isn't a lot anymore. (well, not as much)

Glad to have another MDCer on LibraryThing!

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#216 of 237 Old 01-30-2007, 01:18 AM

When I first joined LT about a year ago, I cataloged all the books on our shelves (many of them I haven't read - either because they're DH's or because I haven't gotten around to them yet). At that time, I started cataloging books borrowed from the library, too (tagged: @library) so that I could keep track of those. My library doesn't keep records of anything other than what you currently have out, unfortunately, so I have no record before February 2006. I find it very useful because most of the books I check out are for DD, and I tag them and rate them so I'll know what's worthwhile in the future (I have a memory like swiss cheese) - if I were more on the ball, I'd write reviews, too.

chanale ✡, ❖bibliophile❖ ❇vegan❇ mom to diva (5½)
madly in with spiritwolf, dad to (9) & (5½)
#217 of 237 Old 01-30-2007, 12:50 PM

Good to hear all the extra input about LibraryThing... DH isn't quite convinced that he wants to put all books we've read on (instead of just ones we own) but considering how many more we still have to post from our own shelves, I probably won't push it til that's done! We decided to wait til we can deposit the holiday money before paying for the account, but hopefully soon!

#20 The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas

I've been wokring through this one for about three weeks now. I made it my bathroom book (I can't decide if I should feel embarrassed about revealing that on a thread like this or not.) Classic, etc... Next bathroom book -- Man in the Iron Mask.
#218 of 237 Old 01-30-2007, 12:51 PM

oh, and snozzberry, I think you and I have 20 books in common so far.

Still haven't done much with dd's books, so that should up the ratings!
#219 of 237 Old 01-30-2007, 02:10 PM

5. Cursor's Fury by Jim Butcher
6. Found Guilty by Jim Butcher

re-read
7. HP and the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling
8. HP and the Chamber of Secrets by JKR
9. HP and the Prizoner of Azkaban by JKR
10. HP and the Goblet of Fire by JKR
11. HP and the Order of the Phoenix by JKR
12. HP and the Half Blood Prince by JKR
13. The Glass Slipper by Eleanor Farjeon

Read with ds:
14. Scooby Do and the Mummy's Curse
15. Scooby Do and the Weird Water Park
16. Scooby Do and the Alien Invaders
17. Scooby Do and the Cat Creatures
(catching a theme here? )

and
18. My big Fat Supernatural Wedding ed. PN Elrod

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#220 of 237 Old 01-30-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
#20 The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas

I've been wokring through this one for about three weeks now. I made it my bathroom book (I can't decide if I should feel embarrassed about revealing that on a thread like this or not.) Classic, etc... Next bathroom book -- Man in the Iron Mask.
Musketeers is one of my all time favorites. (The Lady de Winter is one of the all-time greatest villainesses in literature; she and Professor Umbridge would get along quite well, me thinks.) Musketeers is up there with Moby-Dick and The Scarlet Letter. Man in the Iron Mask is a nother good'un, but the one I really want to read is Twenty Years After which is about the intervening years between Musketeer and Iron Mask, but it's difficult to get a copy of.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#221 of 237 Old 01-30-2007, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
Musketeers is one of my all time favorites. (The Lady de Winter is one of the all-time greatest villainesses in literature; she and Professor Umbridge would get along quite well, me thinks.) Musketeers is up there with Moby-Dick and The Scarlet Letter. Man in the Iron Mask is a nother good'un, but the one I really want to read is Twenty Years After which is about the intervening years between Musketeer and Iron Mask, but it's difficult to get a copy of.
ooh, that's a really interesting parallel to draw between umbridge and Milady....

yeah, i'm still reading the intro to The Man in the Iron Mask (I read an abridged version when I was in grade school) and I feel uncomfortable about reading it before Twenty Years After, simply because I'm afraid I'll miss out on stuff... but the person writing the intro says that Dumas -- writing it as a serial -- was so aware of newcomers that he does a lot of reintroducing plotline/characters, etc. so that makes me feel better....

#21 The Teahouse Fire by Ellis Avery

late 19th century Japan, American little girl who is orphaned and (from the book flap): "takes shelter in Kyoto's beautiful and mysterious Baishan teahouse, a place that will open entirely new worlds to her -- and bring her a new family."

interesting story.
#222 of 237 Old 01-30-2007, 10:53 PM

Quote:
oh, and snozzberry, I think you and I have 20 books in common so far.
I had thought we seemed to like the same sorts of books, so that makes sense!

Quote:
I made it my bathroom book (I can't decide if I should feel embarrassed about revealing that on a thread like this or not.) Classic, etc... Next bathroom book -- Man in the Iron Mask.
Hehe. I've shared things far more embarrassing on MDC so no worries!

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#223 of 237 Old 01-30-2007, 10:54 PM

My first books for 2007:

1) The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night- By Elizabeth Pantley

I am sure lots of people have read this, but I did find the suggestions useful

2) Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats - By Sally Fallon

Even though this is a cookbook, I included it because it is full of information and I read all of it.....really interesting and some good recipes too!
#224 of 237 Old 01-30-2007, 11:58 PM

Quote:
I made it my bathroom book (I can't decide if I should feel embarrassed about revealing that on a thread like this or not.)
Hey, in this household every book is a bathroom book. We've even got a special book for DS that he only gets when he's on the potty as we work on potty training him.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#225 of 237 Old 01-31-2007, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Hey, in this household every book is a bathroom book. We've even got a special book for DS that he only gets when he's on the potty as we work on potty training him.
Hey, great idea! I'm going to have to try that.

~Beth, mama to two amazing girls, ages 12 and 6~

#226 of 237 Old 01-31-2007, 02:19 PM

[QUOTE=NewCrunchyDaddy;7165527]Hey, in this household every book is a bathroom book. [QUOTE]

yeah, i'd say that's pretty much the way it is around here, too. and dd sure sits on the toilet a lot longer if she has a book in her hands.... but i know it grosses some people out to even consider taking a book to the bathroom -- of course, i'm not friends with those people....

#22 Attack of the Giant Octopus by Dan Greenburg

This is the 6th in the series -- Secrets of Dripping Fang. They are fairly short chapter books for younger readers. I started reading them when I was working in the children's room of a public library. They are fun. From the back cover: "Have you ever wondered what a human kid looks like when genetically crossed with evil giant ant larvae? (Hint: It ain't pretty.) Or perhaps you've pondered how a four-hundred-pound killer octopus might best attack its prey? If you've answered yes to either of these questions, you're in luck."

My favorite part in this one was listening to the twins' (who are the main characters) dad (who was dead, then a zombie, and now a vampire) trying to explain to the social worker why his children *were* orphans but no longer are.....
#227 of 237 Old 01-31-2007, 04:37 PM

A few to add for the rest of January...

The Lifeguard by James Patterson -- really love his books : )

Birth: The Surprising History of How We Are Born by Tina Cassidy -- I found this really interesting but I agree with alot of the reviewers on Amazon that this author had a definite bias towards birth and it was evident in a few places (I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed : )) but I still would recommend it to anyone who enjoys reading about childbirth

An Innocent, A Broad by Ann Leary -- true story about how Dennis Leary and his wife are overseas and her water breaks prematurely (she is 26 weeks pg) and she continues to stay in London for many many months -- I liked the book and Ann's writing is good and truthful -- some parts are funny, scary and sad -- she is someone I would be friends with --

Monique and the Mango Rains:Two Years with a Midwife in Mali by Kris Holloway -- true story written by the peace corp worker who spends two years with Monique and lives side by side with her as she cares for the pregnant, birthing, and women with children in Mali -- read this book! I picked it up because the author is from MA and she is speaking at our library in February!!

with my girls I have read:
Ramona the Pest
Ramona and Beezus
Ramona Quimby, Age 8
Ramona and Her Father
#228 of 237 Old 01-31-2007, 04:46 PM

I'm not sure it would be a good idea for me to have a goal this year, since we'll be experiencing some major changes, including a brand new baby, but my goal will be to write down every book I read, so I'll start with January, since today is the last day of the month.

1. Ina May's Guide To Childbirth Ina May Gaskin
How could you not love it, if you're expecting and a member of MDC?

2. Brother Odd Dean Koontz
Always plow through his books. Great escapist reading and I just love Odd Thomas. He's such a likeable guy and I find myself chuckling as I read.

3. We Are All Welcome Here Elizabeth Berg
Touching story. Ms. Berg wrote it after a fan sent her a letter describing life with her mother, who was paralyzed from the neck down. Read it in one day, because it was easy and I couldn't put it down.

4. Brave New World Aldous Huxley
Interesting read. Disturbing in how the book was written so long ago, but so many of his projections are still under consideration and have even been partially realized. I felt let down by the ending, though.

5. Dune Frank Herbert
This is a re-read for me. I read it six years ago when pregnant with my 1st, so it's a comfortable book to go back to and always an interesting story. I just finished it today, except for the Appendices, which I'll read at lunch. I wanted to re-read it so I could read the other Dune books. I'll read House Atreides next, I think.

There are a couple of other books that I've dipped into here and there this month, mostly childbirth or baby name related.

I've also started 3 or 4 books and then stopped and moved on to something else because they were either depressing or I'm just not in the right frame of mind to read them right now. Here's the list of those ones.

The Crimson Portrait Jody Shields
I couldn't connect with any of the characters and it seemed disjointed to me. Set during WW......I can't even remember. I got halfway through and then it was too depressing, so I gave up.

The Secret Life of Bees Sue Monk Kidd
I've heard good things about this book but it was just too emotional and painful, so I stopped about 1/4 of the way through. Maybe someday.

The Lost Girls Laurie Fox
Again, too depressing. Probably because the men are all just not worth a dime and that's the premise of the entire book. It's kind of a Peter Pan story.

The Innkeeper's Song Peter S. Beagle
I kept thinking to myself, "come on, get with the story!" I couldn't get in to it and it was a little disjointed also. Couldn't identify with any of the characters, nor care much about their plight.

Ta-dah!
#229 of 237 Old 02-01-2007, 01:19 AM

Okay, time to wrap up my January reads!

#5 Phillip Pullman's The Subtle Knife

#6 Philip Pullman's The Amber Spyglass

These are the second two books in the His Dark Materials trilogy. I did enjoy all of them, it was fascinating reading something with such an atheistic agenda. I felt surprisingly uncomfortable with some of his assertions but it was still a good read.

#7 Secret of NIMH (I'll have to edit in the author, sorry!). I'm reading this with dd. It's the story of a mouse mother who is searching for help to save her youngest son from being plowed under when the tractor comes to dig up the field they live in.

Hm, I guess I'm actually off to an okay start to my goal for the year!

#1 My Sister's Keeper, #2 Sex Drugs and Cocoa Puffs, #3 The Golden Compass, #4 The Year of Magical Thinking, #5 The Subtle Knife, #6 The Amber Spyglass, #7 The Secret of NIMH

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#230 of 237 Old 02-01-2007, 03:30 AM

#4: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Audio)
by J.K. Rowling
read by Jim Dale

My review of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban can be found here.

#1 Beowulf: A New Verse Translation, #2 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Audio), #3 Pudd'nhead Wilson and Those Extraordinary Twins: Authoritative Texts, Textual Introduction and Tables of Variant Criticism, #4 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Audio)

ETA: I've got Thunderstruck by Erik Larson, The Coquette, or, the History of Eliza Wharton by Hannah W. Foster, I'm an English Major — Now What?: How English Majors Can Find Happiness, Success, and a Real Job by Tim Lemire, Billy Budd and Other Tales by Herman Melville, White Noise by Don DeLillo, The Marrow of Tradition by Charles W. Chesnutt and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Audio) by J.K. Rowling, read by Jim Dale in the queue ... the life of a Literary Studies major is one of reading, reading and more reading

#231 of 237 Old 02-01-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
so i started the man in the iron mask and just couldn't make myself read it before Twenty Years After.... so, I put it back in my stack and put TYA on hold at the library.... now Ishmael is my bathroom book.
#232 of 237 Old 02-01-2007, 01:31 PM

Last book for January:

3) Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination - By: Helen Fielding

This is by the author of Bridget Jones' Diary....nice fluffy quick read.
#233 of 237 Old 02-01-2007, 01:55 PM

Do we have a new thread for February yet?

#234 of 237 Old 02-02-2007, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Do we have a new thread for February yet?

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=608094
#235 of 237 Old 12-30-2007, 04:33 PM

Bump!

#236 of 237 Old 01-01-2008, 02:11 PM
Mab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Heather*** View Post
Bump!

#237 of 237 Old 01-01-2008, 03:46 PM

I'm going to aim for 50 books this year too.

On the agenda:

To finish reading Once Upon a Country, A Palestinian Life by Sari Nussiebeh &

The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein

To Start:

The Mighty Heart by Mariane Pearl

The White Family by Maggie Gee

Purple Hibiscus by Adichie

The Earth has a Soul: The Nature Writings of C.G Jung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page