January 2007 Book Challenge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 237 Old 01-01-2007, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well can you believe the year is new and we are starting fresh with our lists? Once again I didn't make my goal, but that is ok, I will keep trying. I am starting fresh this year instead of upping my total like I did last year. So I want to reach 50 books 2008 and if I get more then great, so hopefully even though we are having a new little one I can make it to at lesat 50 this year.

So the rules are the same, keep a tally, set a goal or just come and let us know what your reading and if you liked it, a synopsis is nice as well.

Here is my latest which I finished a little after midnight last night

#1 Life Laughs: The Naked Truth about Motherhood, Marriage, and Moving On by Jenny Mc Carthy

I didn't really like this book too much, an occassional laugh but I feel that she is very crude. It was a quick light read though which is why I picked it

amazon: McCarthy’s honesty is disarming, funny, and so boundless that you’ll feel as if you’re at her side every step of the way. (Arizona Republic)
McCarthy’s comic tell-all will have fellow moms nodding. . . . It’s everything about new motherhood your polite girlfriends won’t tell you. (The Philadelphia Inquirer on Belly Laughs)
Hilarious . . . A no-holds-barred look at the joys, challenges, and humiliations of the first year of mommyhood.

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 237 Old 01-01-2007, 03:53 PM

I just came to look if the new post was started! Happy New Year all! I'm going to try and read 50 books this year, though I've said that the past 2 years and haven't made it yet!

#1 - Tiger in the Well, Pullman

http://www.amazon.com/Tiger-Well-Sal...e=UTF8&s=books

Okay, I had been disappointed by the first 2 books in this series - thought they didn't stack up to His Dark Materials. But I really enjoyed this one a LOT - enough to make reading the others totally worth it.

#2 - Laptop Lunch User's Guide

http://www.laptoplunches.com/

I recently got this bento-style lunchbox and am reading everything I can about filling it with nutritious lunches when I begin my counseling internship next week!

#1 - Tiger in the Well, #2 - Laptop Lunch User's Guide
#3 of 237 Old 01-01-2007, 07:51 PM

I've gotten so many good reads off this thread!
I'm going to set an easy goal for myself at 52 books, that way I wont feel pressured to let projects slide for the sake of making my reading quota for the month
#4 of 237 Old 01-01-2007, 09:40 PM

Hello my fellow bibliophiles!

Since I'll be back at work full time as of Wednesday, I'll need all the motivation I can get to read in the evening when DD is asleep, so I've decided to join in. I'm going to aim for 52 books too as I have no idea what usually get read in a year and there won't be the daily naptime/reading time anymore .

My first priority will be to read the parenting books I ordered (Gentle Discipline, Unconditional Parenting, Playful Parenting, Mothering your Nursing Toddler). And as DD was pulling books off the shelves in the hallway, I realized that I had a yen for some good history books - both scholarly and more personal, so they will hopefully also figure in my future. And then, I'd like to read some of the novels I have bought and never read.

Can't wait to get started!
#5 of 237 Old 01-01-2007, 09:47 PM

I would like to join. My realistic goal is to read on book a month. BUT I would be really happy to get through one a week!!!! I don't read fiction so sometimes it takes a little longer to read some of the book I pick up, LOL.

Right now I am reading

1. Raising your Spirited Child

which will be immediately followed by

2. Raising Your Spirited Child Workbook

I am also reading

3. Circle Round (which is an on going read)
4. Pagan Homeschooling

and I just finished skimming a friends copy of

5. Family Wicca

AM
#6 of 237 Old 01-01-2007, 09:57 PM

I'm joining. I was not too happy w/myself this passed week. I ended up taking three books back to the library and did not read any of them. So I need to get myself back on track. I'm going for 1/week.
#7 of 237 Old 01-01-2007, 10:03 PM

I'm going to shoot for 50 books this year.
I set a goal of 15 books for the second half of 2006 and beat it soundly.
Pretty proud of that, I must say.

Happy New Year!
#8 of 237 Old 01-01-2007, 10:21 PM

I'm joining too. I think a good goal for me would be 10 books a month. Right now I am reading 3 books. I made a nice cozy reading corner in my room with my chaise, small side table and a lamp.

1. Exit to Eden by Anne Rampling
2. School Starts at Home by Cheri Fuller
3. Green Clean by Linda Mason Hunter & Mikki Halpin

My selections for this month are:

1.Making Kind Choices by Ingrid Newkirk
2.Bring out the Genius in your child by Ken Adams
3. No Time to Lose by Pema Chodron
4. Diaper Free by Ingrid Bauer
5. The Plug-in Drug by Marie Winn
6. Organizing Plain and Simple by Donna Smallin
7. Cleaning Plain and Simple by Donna Smallin
8. Put you house on a Diet by Ed Morrow
9. The Secret of Natural Readers by Ada Anbar
10.The Between the Lions book for parents by Linda Rath

I : the library!!

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#9 of 237 Old 01-01-2007, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renaissanceed View Post
My first priority will be to read the parenting books I ordered (Gentle Discipline, Unconditional Parenting, Playful Parenting, Mothering your Nursing Toddler).
Cool! I just bought those exact 2 titles today. btw, did y'all notice the LibraryThing thread? It's a great way to share reviews of books and see recommendations based on what books you've enjoyed. Plus, there's an MDC group so you can see what other MDCers have in their library/recommend. I am in love with this site. :

I thought about not setting a # goal this year but I'm going to try again. Last year, my goal was 52 and I only got to 37. I will try for 52 this year again, but with a twist. I am going to try to read at least one middle-grade/YA novel a month. I've been trying to write one myself so I need to read more that are out there.

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#10 of 237 Old 01-02-2007, 12:03 AM

#3 An Inconvenient Truth, Gore

Quote:
Our climate crisis may at times appear to be happening slowly, but in fact it is happening very quickly-and has become a true planetary emergency. The Chinese expression for crisis consists of two characters. The first is a symbol for danger; the second is a symbol for opportunity. In order to face down the danger that is stalking us and move through it, we first have to recognize that we are facing a crisis. So why is it that our leaders seem not to hear such clarion warnings? ]re they resisting the truth because they know that the moment they acknowledge it, they will face a moral imperative to act? Is it simply more convenient to ignore the warnings? Perhaps, but inconvenient truths do not go away just because they are not seen. Indeed, when they are responded to, their significance doesnt diminish; it grows. -- Al Gore
fabulous.

#1 - Tiger in the Well, #2 - Laptop Lunch User's Guide, #3 An Inconvenient Truth[/
#11 of 237 Old 01-02-2007, 01:12 AM

subbing
#12 of 237 Old 01-02-2007, 02:30 AM

Subbing...

My goal for this year is 40 books...

Book 1: Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera) by Jim Butcher
Dh got me this book, and three others for Christmas. I liked it... Required me to do some thinking to figure out the "world" that it is set in. Pace was good and I had a really hard time putting it down to make meals.

http://www.amazon.com/Furies-Caldero...e=UTF8&s=books

Tomorrow, I'm tackling the 2nd book in the series Academ's Fury... Now, how to keep dd and ds distracted so I can read. :

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#13 of 237 Old 01-02-2007, 09:34 AM

This year, my goal is to read 65 books. And, it's also my goal to actually keep track of them!

#1 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
I've been rereading the series (again!x3)
One of my all time favourites.
#14 of 237 Old 01-02-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Heather*** View Post
I love re-reading Harry Potter! : It's so comforting. The next book is supposed to come out in summer sometime right? I think I heard she's still writing it though...

#15 of 237 Old 01-02-2007, 12:11 PM

I would like to join! I'm going to set a goal of 36 books for 2007. I'd like to get through more, but it generally seems that I only have time to read about two books a month, so I will push it up to three per month for a challenge. I just finished reading a few books that were recommended here on MDC, but I won't count them towards my goal. They are:

The Out-of-Sync Child
The Sensory Sensitive Child
What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Childhood Vaccinations

I've been itching to re-read the Harry Potter series too, and dh got me Reading Lolita in Tehran for Christmas! I'll get started on it within a few days.

~Beth, mama to two amazing girls, ages 12 and 6~

#16 of 237 Old 01-02-2007, 03:18 PM

Happy New Year everyone!

I am so excited to get started again this year on a big reading goal. I am proud to say that I read 84 books last year! Holy moly, I never expected to read that many! I am setting a goal of 100 books this year to see if I can make it

I have 3 books that I reading at the moment, so off to get 'em finished.
#17 of 237 Old 01-02-2007, 03:49 PM

I got through 87 this year ... not bad for being in school full time since May. I think I'll set the same goal as fremontmama and shoot for 100 in 2007. Guess I better get started...

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#18 of 237 Old 01-02-2007, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My goal is to get two books WRITTEN this year - one fiction and one non-fiction but I can't stay away from this thread as I get all my best book recommendations here.

Here's my first book for the year:

"The Whistling Season" by Ivan Doig

I almost stopped reading this book because the first chapter wasn't really doing it for me - but I am really glad I stuck with it because shortly after it got really good.

A farming family with no mom on 1909 hires a housekeeper from an funny ad in the paper. Their lives change in many ways when she comes into their lives.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#19 of 237 Old 01-02-2007, 06:12 PM

I'm in. I'll set my goal at 35 books since I really only get to read in bed & I usually end up falling asleep.

Right now I'm reading The Hurried Child & I just Finished Waiting for Birdy by Catherine Newman--very funny book. I'm also re-reading the Mutant Message Down Under.

Lola , loving my DH, Mama to & we &
#20 of 237 Old 01-02-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kofduke View Post
I just came to look if the new post was started! Happy New Year all! I'm going to try and read 50 books this year, though I've said that the past 2 years and haven't made it yet!

#1 - Tiger in the Well, Pullman

okay, I had been disappointed by the first 2 books in this series - thought they didn't stack up to His Dark Materials. But I really enjoyed this one a LOT - enough to make reading the others totally worth it.
dh will be interested in this series -- we both like hdm, and dh is getting ready to take a class (starts on saturday!) on pullman, neil gaiman, and john milton....wow~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Heather*** View Post
This year, my goal is to read 65 books. And, it's also my goal to actually keep track of them!

i've been saying and saying that i want to reread them and then keep reading others instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe View Post
My goal is to get two books WRITTEN this year - one fiction and one non-fiction but I can't stay away from this thread as I get all my best book recommendations here.

Here's my first book for the year:

"The Whistling Season" by Ivan Doig

I almost stopped reading this book because the first chapter wasn't really doing it for me - but I am really glad I stuck with it because shortly after it got really good.
glad you liked it after all, cathe. this is one i read sometime fairly recently too, so if you didn't like it i would have thought we'd lost our vibe. :
#21 of 237 Old 01-02-2007, 08:32 PM

Can I join

I've never tracked what I read, but I read a lot, so guess I'll aim high, and go for 100.

I just finished one yesterday (guess I can't count it, was mostly in last year ) but it was great. Very controversial, but also very thought provoking. "The Passion of Mary Magdelen" by Elizabeth Cunningham. I was up way to late finishing it, and ended up crying more than once. It is a very different take on Mary's life and role in the over all story.

Right now I'm reading "Helen of Troy" by Margeret George. Not very far into it yet, so don't know how good it will be, but her other books I've read have all been very good (Cleopatra and Mary Queen of Scots)

Can't wait to see what everyone reads, and to see how much I actually do read.
#22 of 237 Old 01-02-2007, 09:38 PM

Subbing
#23 of 237 Old 01-03-2007, 02:49 AM

"The Man of My Dreams" by Curtis Sittenfeld

Well, I never would have picked this book up by the title but I saw that it was by the author of "Prep" which I liked.

It was really good - about a young woman trying to get over her dysfunctional parents and get a life.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#24 of 237 Old 01-03-2007, 02:50 AM

And YEAH Bufomander! You haven't steered me wrong yet

#25 of 237 Old 01-03-2007, 04:36 AM

Subbing.

I wanted my goal for this year to be 52 but since I spend most of my nights on the interent instead of reading I don't think it's realistic.
since I'll turn 39 this summer my goal will also be 39

I love to read books about women in my situation (thirty something mamas trying to do it all...) but can't find that many. I think most authors are still stuck in the "dating" or "first baby" phase.

I just finished Paul Auster's The Brooklin Follies last week (doesn't count for 2007, I know ) and loved it. It's such a sweet, heart warming book and Auster really knows how to tell a story.
#26 of 237 Old 01-03-2007, 04:50 AM

My goal this year is to actually finish the books I start. :

I'm bad at that.
#27 of 237 Old 01-03-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbi View Post
I just finished Paul Auster's The Brooklin Follies last week (doesn't count for 2007, I know ) and loved it. It's such a sweet, heart warming book and Auster really knows how to tell a story.
I'll have to check that one out! Have you read Timbuktu by Auster? I thought it was a really great story. It's written from the point of view of a dog called Mr. Bones.

#28 of 237 Old 01-03-2007, 12:17 PM

I am not going to set a goal number since I blew 300 away last year. So I am going to just go with the flow. I won't prattle about the bodice busters that I devour unless I find a gem.

Here are my first mentionable books of the year.

Mistral's Kiss by Laurell K. Hamilton
Quote:
Removed review
(I was very disappointed with the length, but it was a quick, enjoyable read that tied up a few loose ends from previous books. I can see why the reviews are so mixed.)

Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder
Quote:
Removed review
(This was an amazing first novel. I am counting my pennies for the sequel, I think I can pull it off this weekend. I couldn't put it down. If you like fantasy grab this one.)

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#29 of 237 Old 01-03-2007, 09:43 PM

I read 83 last year - so I am setting my goal at 90. Can I count the chapter books I read with DD? Reading some Nora Roberts trash right now!
#30 of 237 Old 01-03-2007, 10:22 PM

thinking about setting a goal # - just can't do it, feel like it takes some of the fun out of reading for me and would guide me in which books i might pick, shorter ones to gain ground, rather just on interest :-))

so my goal is to just read more, read what i like, and read a lot about homeschooling :-)

and i want to write more, i would love to one day write a children's book and maybe something else...

will return soon with some reviews of what i have finished in 2007.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page