Two more cases for our MDC sleuths - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 183 Old 01-14-2007, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avonlea View Post
Ok detectives, I have something that I would like to find for my kids..if posible. When I was a little girl we had these plastic blocks. They were sort of large, about the size of my palm as an 8 year old. They came in colors such as pink, yellow, orange/peach, a light blue, and I think red. They had two prongs on top that were rounded . We used them to build my little pony and strawberry shortcake houses. I have No Idea who even made these, but they were Great blocks. If I could find someon ebay I would love to buy them..

Does anyone know what I am talking about ?
I'm pretty sure this is it.
#62 of 183 Old 01-14-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyme View Post
Could it be Z for Zachariah by Robert C O'Brien? The only thing is, the main character is a girl.
This is what I was thinking... there is a guy that shows up in the plot line, though.. jerk that he is..

Here's another one.. My dad bought me when I was a preteen a book that was a collection of spooky stories.. a couple of the stories that I remember from it..

there was a couple where the man was mean to his wife. The postman drove an old wooden wagon. He was delivering mail, and heard the woman screaming. He went to help and was killed (I think a bullet ricocheted off a frying pan?). He obviously came back to avenge his death..

Another story I sort of remember from the book was about a gold miner. Turns out the gold miner was digging for gold under his own house.. He dies and comes back to protect his claim..

an actor dies during a scene in a play??

kinda gruesome now that I think about it, but I remember reading and rereading them over and over... I had it in hardback when I was about 12, and I was born in 76.
#63 of 183 Old 01-14-2007, 08:51 PM

my ggogle add is about permanenet hair removel thats a great add since were discussing books

cold.gifme + headscratch.gif him and one littlecat.gifPaco the Taco hoping for one of these  makebabe.gifin the near future

#64 of 183 Old 01-14-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrayn View Post
This is a fun one!
I will love whoever could figure out this song,
it is an r&b song from the 80s, a man singing in a higher type voice, "don't stop ever loving me" "with your love" (something like that) it seems like that keeps going over and over for the chorus that is all I remember for it,

there is another I guess slow rock song from the 80s, a man sings "she's only 17 (some teen age) it has some chimey sounding music and a guitar. Not much info but worth a shot.

Could it be: "Don't Stop Ever Loving Me" by the group One Way?
http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/stor...438672,00.html
#65 of 183 Old 01-14-2007, 09:43 PM

Does anyone remember a film (actual film, not VHS or DVD) about some kids who visit a witch in her big old house? I think she'd make pancakes for them, and then these funky graphics would fly across the screen (with silly audio as well). We'd watch it on rainy days in elementary school (very early 80s). I don't know the title, the actors, or anything really. Just wondering if anyone else ever watched it and if you remember the title.
#66 of 183 Old 01-14-2007, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodWillHunter View Post
, entirely possible.

I've got one...

It's about a kid who eventually realizes he has telekinetic powers as well as telepathy. He has a mentor who teaches him how to use it and all sorts of weird and mysterious ways. He had a dog he loved. One of the "sessions" had the boy get into a 98.6 degree room with water at exactly 98.6 degrees. I loved it as a 12 year old and I can't remember the darn book. I want to get it for my son.
Ok, was there a part ~one of the "sessions" that involved a game of ping-pong. and the mentor got the kid worked up so that he would telekineticly move the ball?
Was there some part about someone missing near a river?
Were there more than one ESP gifted children that hung out at a house where the mentor was?

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#67 of 183 Old 01-14-2007, 09:46 PM

Hey, can someone link to the wee-sing thread : Pleeeeese?

~laura
#68 of 183 Old 01-14-2007, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitMama View Post
Does anyone remember a film (actual film, not VHS or DVD) about some kids who visit a witch in her big old house? I think she'd make pancakes for them, and then these funky graphics would fly across the screen (with silly audio as well). We'd watch it on rainy days in elementary school (very early 80s). I don't know the title, the actors, or anything really. Just wondering if anyone else ever watched it and if you remember the title.
Did we go to the same elementary school? (I was watching in the late 70s)

Yeah, can someone figure this out?? I was thinking about it earlier today as I was reading through the postings, but all I could remember was pancakes and witches.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#69 of 183 Old 01-14-2007, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanteach View Post
Here's another one.. My dad bought me when I was a preteen a book that was a collection of spooky stories.. a couple of the stories that I remember from it..

there was a couple where the man was mean to his wife. The postman drove an old wooden wagon. He was delivering mail, and heard the woman screaming. He went to help and was killed (I think a bullet ricocheted off a frying pan?). He obviously came back to avenge his death..

Another story I sort of remember from the book was about a gold miner. Turns out the gold miner was digging for gold under his own house.. He dies and comes back to protect his claim..

an actor dies during a scene in a play??

kinda gruesome now that I think about it, but I remember reading and rereading them over and over... I had it in hardback when I was about 12, and I was born in 76.
Ok, I have to ask.. Did I ask a really hard question, or is everyone taking a nap? I was looking for the help icon, but I can't find it...
#70 of 183 Old 01-14-2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitMama View Post
Google took 2 clicks:

search: witch pancake film

Is this it?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0277442/

The Winter of the Witch

The only comment on the website is another person who remembers seeing on rainy days in elementary school.

This website lists it as a pagan film:

http://www.sandmartyn.freeserve.co.uk/pagfilm.htm

(It also lists The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe as pagan, but it's not.)

If the public today knew their children were watching a "pagan" film - !! the horror!!

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#71 of 183 Old 01-14-2007, 10:17 PM

Maybe someone can help me with one!!! It's been bugging me for months now.

I read a book when I was a young girl... it was about magic, and it had a really long title with lots of words in it (lots of adjectives I believe). Basically, the girl dabbles in magic and it all goes horribly wrong (but with a happy ending of course).

It's not by Ruth Chew, or Madelaine L'Engle (probably butchered that spelling).

Does anyone know what it was??? I just loved that book. There were others in that series, by the same author and with the same protagonist, and they weren't about magic but they all had really long titles.
#72 of 183 Old 01-14-2007, 10:52 PM

Okay, I have to jump on the bandwagon and add my In search of.....

I"ve asked so many people and all children's librarians I know.

The book I"m looking for is about two or three children who are brothers and sisters and they are looking for a new mother. They go someplace and get the choose a mom (like a Mother Store). The first few they pick they don't like and return each one until they finally get the "perfect" mother.

I don't remember more than that. Also, I don't believe that it is a picture book. I think it is more of an easy chapter book.

I've told my kids about it for years but could never come up with the actual book.

Thanks.

Kim , mom to Amanda (16):, William (13), and Annie (5)
#73 of 183 Old 01-14-2007, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiMetz View Post
Maybe someone can help me with one!!! It's been bugging me for months now.

I read a book when I was a young girl... it was about magic, and it had a really long title with lots of words in it (lots of adjectives I believe). Basically, the girl dabbles in magic and it all goes horribly wrong (but with a happy ending of course).

It's not by Ruth Chew, or Madelaine L'Engle (probably butchered that spelling).

Does anyone know what it was??? I just loved that book. There were others in that series, by the same author and with the same protagonist, and they weren't about magic but they all had really long titles.
Do you remember anything at all about what she was doing?
#74 of 183 Old 01-14-2007, 11:36 PM

Okay, adding to the list:

TV show, 80's about a department store after hours and the main characters are the store mannequins and a mouse? Nevermind, found it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Today's_Special
#75 of 183 Old 01-14-2007, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
TV show, 80's about a department store after hours and the main characters are the store mannequins and a mouse? Nevermind, found it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Today's_Special
I loved that show! http://www.retrojunk.com/details_tvs...odays-special/
#76 of 183 Old 01-14-2007, 11:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayayenay View Post
I've been curious to find one I read in an English class 15 years ago. It was a short young adult novel (I think) and the cover art was outdated & looked to be from the 70s. It was about a community where all the adults died from some disease but the children all survived. There was looting and kid gangs formed; a group of kids all lived together.....
Could it be the classic Lord of the Flies? Or the classic Star Trek episode Miri?
#77 of 183 Old 01-14-2007, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Okay, adding to the list:

I LOVED Today's Special!!!!!

Anyone ever see Mr.Dressup?

~laura
#78 of 183 Old 01-15-2007, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg Murry. View Post
Could it be the classic Lord of the Flies? Or the classic Star Trek episode Miri?
Hmm, definitely not either one (although I love Lord of the Flies!). It started out with the disease thing...I don't remember whether the adults were already dead at the beginning or if they were sick. It was set in a city - I think in suburbia, and one of the kids had to learn how to drive a car? I remember some story line about having to drive to the store to get supplies, and how the kids were all worried about the rival gang(s?) and all the looting. The kids the story follows all lived together in a house or a school or something; I don't remember if any of them were related or not.

It sounds a bit like The Kindling, but that's too new.
#79 of 183 Old 01-15-2007, 12:46 AM

O.k. I have three. I read these in the late 70's/ early 1980s.

A sort novel about a little boy (?) from another world who falls through a door in space and comes to earth. He is found by a family who tries to help him. He eventually finds a portal back to his world.

The second is about a little witch who get stuck in a tree on earth on Halloween night and is rescued by a family that basically adopt her. Over the next year, with care and love she becomes a little girl, unregonizable to her witch family the following Halloween.. The part that sticks out in the story is that the grandparents come to visit and stay from Thanksgiving to New Years (which seemed absurd to me as a child).

The third is a book about a little girl who sneaks through her grandmother's things and finds some witches items. She finds a clock that makes her disappear, something that allows her to fly and something else I think. One thing that happens is that she doesn't know the cloak makes her disappear, and she wears in a Thanksgiving play. So, she basically has a floating head on stage. I think it is a Ruth Chew book, but I did not recognize any of the titles on a fan site I found.

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
#80 of 183 Old 01-15-2007, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadean View Post
O.k. I have three. I read these in the late 70's/ early 1980s.

A sort novel about a little boy (?) from another world who falls through a door in space and comes to earth. He is found by a family who tries to help him. He eventually finds a portal back to his world.
I know that one!!! It's The Forgotten Door, by Alexander Key, that same man who wrote Escape to Witch Mountain. I'll get a link in a sec...
#81 of 183 Old 01-15-2007, 01:12 AM

Okay, I read this book in middle school, but can't remember the title or the author, and no one I've asked seems to remember either.

It's about a young teen boy who is somehow in the woods, and finds a hole in a tree. He ends up digging the hole bigger and living in it and off the wilderness. I think it was a chapter book. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!!
#82 of 183 Old 01-15-2007, 01:13 AM

#83 of 183 Old 01-15-2007, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg Murry. View Post
The Stand?
#84 of 183 Old 01-15-2007, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedy444 View Post
Okay, I have to jump on the bandwagon and add my In search of.....

I"ve asked so many people and all children's librarians I know.

The book I"m looking for is about tow or three children who are brothers and sisters and they are looking for a new mother. They go someplace and get the choose a mom (like a Mother Store). The first few they pick they don't like and return each one until they finally get the "perfect" mother.

I don't remember more than that. Also, I don't believe that it is a picture book. I think it is more of an easy chapter book.

I've told my kids about it for years but could never come up with the actual book.

Thanks.
A neighbor of mine when I was a kid had a movie with a similar plot line called the electric grandmother.
#85 of 183 Old 01-15-2007, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliviasmom View Post
Okay, I read this book in middle school, but can't remember the title or the author, and no one I've asked seems to remember either.

It's about a young teen boy who is somehow in the woods, and finds a hole in a tree. He ends up digging the hole bigger and living in it and off the wilderness. I think it was a chapter book. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!!
My side of the mountain by jean craighead George

AWEDOME book
#86 of 183 Old 01-15-2007, 01:29 AM

Argh, I don't know ANY of these, I feel so dumb. No one still recognizes mine? I'm really, really dying to know, and I've googled out the wazoo...

Quote:
A young girl (I think her parents died?) is sent to live with a relative (old aunt or uncle) in an old country manor. The house has portraits of some young children (four, I think) and over the course of the novel, the children's ghosts are manifested to her and they become friends...I remember reading it as a young girl, and even though I was super scared of supernatural stories, this book actually gave me the warm fuzzies.

Mama to H (6) B (3) : A (1)
#87 of 183 Old 01-15-2007, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanteach View Post
The Stand?
Waaaaayyyyy shorter than The Stand, and it was just adults who were affected by the disease - only kids were left.

*sigh* This has been driving me nuts for years!
#88 of 183 Old 01-15-2007, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadean View Post
).

The third is a book about a little girl who sneaks through her grandmother's things and finds some witches items. She finds a clock that makes her disappear, something that allows her to fly and something else I think. One thing that happens is that she doesn't know the cloak makes her disappear, and she wears in a Thanksgiving play. So, she basically has a floating head on stage. I think it is a Ruth Chew book, but I did not recognize any of the titles on a fan site I found.
There's a Ruth Chew FAN SITE?!? I am there!

I loved, loved, loved her books.

Why are so many of the posts on this thread about witch stories? Is it because witch stories are being triggered by other witch stories? Or, is it because so many of us liked these types of books (in the 70s & early 80s, by the looks of it).

#89 of 183 Old 01-15-2007, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniedb View Post
Argh, I don't know ANY of these, I feel so dumb. No one still recognizes mine? I'm really, really dying to know, and I've googled out the wazoo...
I was thinking that it sort of sounded like a Richard Peck type of storyline.. (he wrote Ghost Belonged to Me and many others) but I haven't run into that specific one I don't think...

and no one has found my ghost story collection either, sigh.
#90 of 183 Old 01-15-2007, 02:16 AM

got another one for y'all -

I remember watching on TV when I was about 10 {late 90's} a movie about an asteroid hitting earth. It was presented in such a manner as to make you believe it was happening - with cnn studio and reporters being the main characters I think. The whole thing was just as if it were actually happening and being reported on cnn.

Anyone?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page