Two more cases for our MDC sleuths - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 183 Old 01-16-2007, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotamidnight View Post
No - I don't think it was any of those. This was earlier - mid 90's I think. The part that I remember vividly is the end opf the movie the screen goes to grey static because the earth has been destroyed.
It was also a sort of "War of the Worlds" parody. I remember because we were doing War of the Worlds in highschool at the time. So it would have been 1995, when I was in freshman english. We were all laughing because there were newspaper articles about people who actually believed it was real news reports, but after some discussion we decided they were lying to try to sue people.
#122 of 183 Old 01-16-2007, 12:59 PM

Alaskanteach, no ideas here. I read very few spooky tales type books as a kid.
#123 of 183 Old 01-16-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
My side of the mountain by jean craighead George

AWEDOME book
Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!! I am SOOOOO excited to get this and re-read it!!!
#124 of 183 Old 01-16-2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
It was also a sort of "War of the Worlds" parody. I remember because we were doing War of the Worlds in highschool at the time. So it would have been 1995, when I was in freshman english. We were all laughing because there were newspaper articles about people who actually believed it was real news reports, but after some discussion we decided they were lying to try to sue people.
: It totally freaked me out as a child to watch it - I thought it was really happening:
#125 of 183 Old 01-16-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk de jour View Post
Annie On My Mind is about a teenage lesbian relationship, but it is from the mid- to late-80s and it is not the book you describe.
That scene isn't in the book? Back to the drawing board, then. I figured that was it because I recalled the title having a girl's name and it starting with an A. The time sounds right, though; I was guessing but I would have read it anywhere from 86-89. I'll have to read this book.
#126 of 183 Old 01-16-2007, 11:49 PM

Here are the only scary stories I read as a kid. Off to Google...

http://www.amazon.com/Thing-at-Foot-Bed/dp/0440487730

It's astonishing how little "gold miner" narrows a search on "ghost stories".
#127 of 183 Old 01-17-2007, 12:44 AM

HEY GOOD WILL HUNTER!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post
Ok, was there a part ~one of the "sessions" that involved a game of ping-pong. and the mentor got the kid worked up so that he would telekineticly move the ball?
Was there some part about someone missing near a river?
Were there more than one ESP gifted children that hung out at a house where the mentor was?
huh huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post
Hey, can someone link to the wee-sing thread : Pleeeeese?
Pretty please?

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#128 of 183 Old 01-17-2007, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellemarie View Post
I think I know exactly what you're talking about. They were rough in texture and not bright light legos?

I can't find them online. I'm searching!
Yes ! they were rough on the outside, not smooth. YAY ! Someone else knows what I am talking baout !
#129 of 183 Old 01-17-2007, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellemarie View Post
I'm pretty sure this is it.

YESS! Thats it. We had a Lot of them. I think my Mom got us a huge set for Christmas, or two large sets to share. We had the blue ,yellow and green, and also orange and pinks as well. They were great, you couldn't break them , and no sharp edges to cut your feet up. I loved those blocks !
#130 of 183 Old 01-17-2007, 01:06 AM

OMG Matel Tuff Stuff!!! I had their play food. It ROCKED!!!

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#131 of 183 Old 01-17-2007, 05:27 PM

Okay, here's another.

There was this chapter book about a little girl (or boy) who smelled funny and got made fun of by everyone at school, including the teacher. There was a dollhouse in the back of the classroom that had Goldilocks and the Three Bears in it. To her, they were real, and they became her friends. Sound familiar?
#132 of 183 Old 01-17-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliviasmom View Post
Okay, here's another.

There was this chapter book about a little girl (or boy) who smelled funny and got made fun of by everyone at school, including the teacher. There was a dollhouse in the back of the classroom that had Goldilocks and the Three Bears in it. To her, they were real, and they became her friends. Sound familiar?
Smelling funny and being teased by everyone reminds me of the Wayside school story where the dead rat tries to sneak into the class as "Sammy".

The Goldilocks and the Three bears being real in a dollhouse reminds me of C.S. Adler's books.

The combination is feeling familiar, but isn't jogging any sort of useful information.
#133 of 183 Old 01-17-2007, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliviasmom View Post
Okay, here's another.

Found it! The Bears' House, by Marilyn Sachs.
#134 of 183 Old 01-17-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post
Yep. That's the one I always get confused with C.S. Adler's "Good-bye Pink Pig"
#135 of 183 Old 01-18-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Here are the only scary stories I read as a kid. Off to Google...

http://www.amazon.com/Thing-at-Foot-Bed/dp/0440487730

It's astonishing how little "gold miner" narrows a search on "ghost stories".
Nope. those do not look familiar..

And I understand that many people did not read scary stories as kids.. at least from an AP standpoint, I don't think it would be supported much..

BUT, my father is a novelist (in fact, he won the Bram Stoker award- which only goes to the BEST horror novel of the year) so I was greatly influenced as a young avid reader, as you can imagine..
#136 of 183 Old 01-18-2007, 12:53 PM

Well, if you remember another story, I'll be glad to look again.

Unfortunately, Google is less than helpful for "actor dies during play" since a lot of real actors have died during plays.
#137 of 183 Old 01-18-2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post
Thank you!!
#138 of 183 Old 01-18-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Well, if you remember another story, I'll be glad to look again.

Unfortunately, Google is less than helpful for "actor dies during play" since a lot of real actors have died during plays.
Nothing about the delivery guy that interrupts the couple's spat and is killed with a ricocheted bullet of a frying pan, and then his ghostly wagon goes and haunts the guy? That was the one that I probably knew the most details about..

In the actors one..

it was two main characters that were freinds, and during a swordfighting scene, the one guy gets stabbed for real.. and dies.. I don't remember any more than that, though, like what about that made it a spooky story..
#139 of 183 Old 01-18-2007, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanteach View Post
Nothing about the delivery guy that interrupts the couple's spat and is killed with a ricocheted bullet of a frying pan, and then his ghostly wagon goes and haunts the guy? That was the one that I probably knew the most details about..
Sorry, forgot to check that one...

Bother, I just do not have the Google skills for this...
#140 of 183 Old 01-20-2007, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Nope. those do not look familiar..

And I understand that many people did not read scary stories as kids.. at least from an AP standpoint, I don't think it would be supported much..

BUT, my father is a novelist (in fact, he won the Bram Stoker award- which only goes to the BEST horror novel of the year) so I was greatly influenced as a young avid reader, as you can imagine..
Not suggesting you are saying this, but in general I don't know if I can corrolate being allowed to read scary stuff with my parents being anti-AP. My mother was pretty crunchy and AP, as well as being really well educated (if not college-learned at the time). She also is in the "take kids seriously" camp. She allowed us to read whatever we wanted and did not restrict our library. I was an excellerated and vorocious reader. I read stuff that probably wasn't really appropriate, and often dreamed about the things I read (still do actually). And it wasn't all "literature". I was reading V.C. Andrew's Flowers in the Attic series by the time I was 10 years old, which had a lot of mature material and really disturbing imagery. I don't remember asking permission, but she probably would not have said no anyway.

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
#141 of 183 Old 01-20-2007, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Yes, I remember that one! They take away her black dress and give her a white one, right?? They sort of "civilize" her, as it were (no offense to Pagans).
Yes, I believe that was a plot point, which obviously went over my head t the time .

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
#142 of 183 Old 01-20-2007, 09:25 PM

To the OP:
I will be of no help except to say that I REMEMBER THAT BOOK... (the bunny book) and the illustrations were gorgeous. Didn't it show what was happening in the roots of the trees (where the bunnies lived) simultaneously with what was going on in the lives of the children who lived above? I was 3 in 1977 and I have very clear memories of the pictures, but no words. Maybe the "story" didn't even have words?

Driving me crazy now! What a powerful memory this thread brought back!
#143 of 183 Old 01-20-2007, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniedb View Post
Okay, I have been trying to remember this book title for EVER...I really hope someone can help. A young girl (I think her parents died?) is sent to live with a relative (old aunt or uncle) in an old country manor. The house has portraits of some young children (four, I think) and over the course of the novel, the children's ghosts are manifested to her and they become friends...I remember reading it as a young girl, and even though I was super scared of supernatural stories, this book actually gave me the warm fuzzies. I remember it being just beautiful, and I would LOVE to read it again.
Hey Danielle,

You never came back to say whether *The Children of Green Knowe* was your book. Just curious...

Blessings,

~Traci, wife to DH 4-88. Mom to 3 homebirthed sons, 22,20&17

The Blue Door Farmhouse & traci.mymomentis.biz

#144 of 183 Old 01-21-2007, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Anyone?
I remember this or something very like it. I don't remember a title but I loved the book. I think there may have been more than one.

Not helpful at all, sorry.
#145 of 183 Old 01-21-2007, 01:24 AM

Alaskanteach-

Do any of these look familiar to you?
http://teenspace.cincinnatilibrary.o...d=urbanlegends

I'm pretty sure I read two or three of those at least. (I loved that stuff)

For some reason the description of one "Give me back my guts" sounds familiar.
#146 of 183 Old 01-21-2007, 01:26 AM

I don't think this is it but I loved this book!
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...0905&pwb=1&z=y
#147 of 183 Old 01-21-2007, 01:29 AM

Here's one for the super sleuths. I'm pretty sure I read this in elementary school.

It's about a girl (maybe with a sibling?) who goes to stay/live (??) with, I think, an uncle. I know the house is far out and by a moor or body of water. There's a girl ghost at the house. Something happens with both the body of water and a bookcase in the library. I think I remember her having a sense of foreboding on the ride down the road to the house. Maybe even they have an accident of some sort. My memories of this are fuzzy but I remember it being really good.
#148 of 183 Old 01-21-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnhmama View Post
Here's one for the super sleuths. I'm pretty sure I read this in elementary school.

It's about a girl (maybe with a sibling?) who goes to stay/live (??) with, I think, an uncle. I know the house is far out and by a moor or body of water. There's a girl ghost at the house. Something happens with both the body of water and a bookcase in the library. I think I remember her having a sense of foreboding on the ride down the road to the house. Maybe even they have an accident of some sort. My memories of this are fuzzy but I remember it being really good.
girl, uncle, moor sounds like the Secret Garden. There wasn't a girl ghost, but there was the ghostly sounds of the little boy before she found him.
#149 of 183 Old 01-21-2007, 03:25 PM
Banned

Okay, here's another one --

Anyone remember a story about a boy who gets ahold of some white, pearlescent liniment or ointment of some kind and when he rubs it into his back, he grows angel wings?
#150 of 183 Old 01-21-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg Murry. View Post
Anyone remember a story about a boy who gets ahold of some white, pearlescent liniment or ointment of some kind and when he rubs it into his back, he grows angel wings?
I remember reading that one! It's Black and Blue Magic by Zilpha Keatley Snyder.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page