Two more cases for our MDC sleuths - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 183 Old 01-13-2007, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so impressed with the success on the Wee Sing case! Anybody wanna take a crack at these?

1. When I was about 3 years old (in the late '70s), my favorite book to check out of the library was about a bunch of bunnies who lived in the roots of a tree. They dyed Easter eggs. I think maybe there was a woman who lived in a house near the tree. That's all I can remember. I loved the pictures of them painting the eggs. I've been on the hunt for this book forever but since I all know is Easter, eggs, bunnies...that doesn't narrow the field down much. Does it sound familiar to anybody?

2. I would LOVE a copy of this song, or even just lyrics for it so I can sing the whole thing. I believe it was on Sesame Street, probably in the late '70s or early '80s. It was set in a disco and was intended to illustrate the concepts of "in" and "out". A line of muppets danced in and out (naturally) doors labeled for those purposes, singing "ouuuuuuut the dooooor, out out out out the dooooor" and "iiiiiin for moooooore, in in in in for more". I think there was a part that went "out, boogie, boogie, all out...in, boogie, boogie, all in". I think there was one muppet who was having difficulty catching up to the rest - he was always getting confused as to which door they were using. I can't remember if there was more to it. My kids love it when I sing the parts I remember. I'm a google queen but can't turn up anything on this song!

Anybody remember either of these?

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#2 of 183 Old 01-13-2007, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I don't have answers to your question but I hope you don't mind my adding a question of my own .

I've been wonderering what the name/author of a children's book. It was about a boy who bought a goldfish and was cautioned to feed it only a pinch of food and no more. The boy overfed the fish which grew to an enormous size. It had to be transferred to bigger containers, then the bathtub and eventually the swimming pool. Finally, they called the fish doctor who made a house call. He entered the pool with snorkling equipment and emerged with the fish returned to his original size. The boy was again cautioned to only feed the fish a pinch. I had this book in the 70's.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#3 of 183 Old 01-13-2007, 12:27 PM

No answer for you either... but... as long as I'm here...

I'm looking for a book called "The Silver Slipper(s)" It's a Cinderella story. I read it when I was in elementary school (probably around 5th grade) in 1984. I know that it was an older book, even then. When she went to the ball, she was introduced as "The Princess of Nowhere"... I'd love to find a copy for my dd to have when she gets a little older. :

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#4 of 183 Old 01-13-2007, 12:36 PM

The Glass Slipper
Eleanor Farjeon
In 1955, Eleanor Farjeon extended Cinderella into a full-length novel. The wimpy father is a man unable to take action but loves his beautiful daughter. The stepmother is appropriately nasty as are her vapid daughters. Ella is sweet, talented and willing to make the best of an intolerable situation. At the Ball, the meeting between the Prince and the Princess of Nowhere, aka Ella, is filled with sweet awkwardness as they get acquainted. The characters are fleshed out and the story becomes fresh and original. Farjeon's use of language is choice! 1995 (orig. 1981), Harper Trophy/Harper Raine, Ages 8 to 12, $11.95 and $11.89. Reviewer: Jan Lieberman
ISBN: 0-397-32180-5
ISBN: 0-397-32181-3
#5 of 183 Old 01-13-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
The Glass Slipper
Eleanor Farjeon
In 1955, Eleanor Farjeon extended Cinderella into a full-length novel. The wimpy father is a man unable to take action but loves his beautiful daughter. The stepmother is appropriately nasty as are her vapid daughters. Ella is sweet, talented and willing to make the best of an intolerable situation. At the Ball, the meeting between the Prince and the Princess of Nowhere, aka Ella, is filled with sweet awkwardness as they get acquainted. The characters are fleshed out and the story becomes fresh and original. Farjeon's use of language is choice! 1995 (orig. 1981), Harper Trophy/Harper Raine, Ages 8 to 12, $11.95 and $11.89. Reviewer: Jan Lieberman
ISBN: 0-397-32180-5
ISBN: 0-397-32181-3
: I was just about to come post this
#6 of 183 Old 01-13-2007, 01:19 PM

WooHoo!!! You ladies rock! Thanks a kajillion! : : doing a happy dance (and dd is looking at me like I have gone completely bonkers).

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#7 of 183 Old 01-13-2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post
I don't have answers to your question but I hope you don't mind my adding a question of my own .

I've been wonderering what the name/author of a children's book. It was about a boy who bought a goldfish and was cautioned to feed it only a pinch of food and no more. The boy overfed the fish which grew to an enormous size. It had to be transferred to bigger containers, then the bathtub and eventually the swimming pool. Finally, they called the fish doctor who made a house call. He entered the pool with snorkling equipment and emerged with the fish returned to his original size. The boy was again cautioned to only feed the fish a pinch. I had this book in the 70's.
I google! I typed in "kids book goldfish grows too big" and up came:

A Fish Out of Water

I loved that book!!
#8 of 183 Old 01-13-2007, 02:38 PM

Here's another one for you:

In the late 70's/early 80's I watched a TV show about a bear named Jeremy. He had this suitcase that could turn into all sorts of different things -- a car, a bike, a windsurfer, etc.

I distinctly remember that he fell through a hole in the ice and spent several TV weeks swimming around under water trying to get out so he could go home.

I can't remember what the show was called, have never been able to find information about it and no one else I talk to ever seems to remember it. I know it was real, though!
#9 of 183 Old 01-13-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:

I read a book called the 2000 pound Goldfish, but I think it was a chapter book.
http://www.betsybyars.com/goldfish.html
#10 of 183 Old 01-13-2007, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreac View Post
I google! I typed in "kids book goldfish grows too big" and up came:

A Fish Out of Water

I loved that book!!
Thanks! I remembered the illustrations were a familiar style and I see they were done by P.D. Eastman, one of my favorite young children's author/illustrator. I can't wait to get it and read it to ds .

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#11 of 183 Old 01-13-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyswenn View Post

In the late 70's/early 80's I watched a TV show about a bear named Jeremy. He had this suitcase that could turn into all sorts of different things -- a car, a bike, a windsurfer, etc.

I distinctly remember that he fell through a hole in the ice and spent several TV weeks swimming around under water trying to get out so he could go home.

I can't remember what the show was called, have never been able to find information about it and no one else I talk to ever seems to remember it. I know it was real, though!
This is fun, googled "TV Show bear named jeremy" and game up with this blog entry...is that what you were looking for?
#12 of 183 Old 01-13-2007, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Yup, A Fish Out of Water. We have it.

I want to find a couple of young adult fantasy series I red as a preteen. One was set in a post-nuclear holocaust England about the return of King Arthur. The other was about a girl who switches places with her bookish brother and goes to court disguised as a boy and becomes a big hero.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#13 of 183 Old 01-13-2007, 03:20 PM
Dar

Quote:
Originally Posted by funshine View Post
2. I would LOVE a copy of this song, or even just lyrics for it so I can sing the whole thing. I believe it was on Sesame Street, probably in the late '70s or early '80s. It was set in a disco and was intended to illustrate the concepts of "in" and "out". A line of muppets danced in and out (naturally) doors labeled for those purposes, singing "ouuuuuuut the dooooor, out out out out the dooooor" and "iiiiiin for moooooore, in in in in for more". I think there was a part that went "out, boogie, boogie, all out...in, boogie, boogie, all in". I think there was one muppet who was having difficulty catching up to the rest - he was always getting confused as to which door they were using. I can't remember if there was more to it. My kids love it when I sing the parts I remember. I'm a google queen but can't turn up anything on this song!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd-MWlCQvH8

Do I rock, or do I rock? Actually, I disco...

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#14 of 183 Old 01-13-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I'm so impressed with the success on the Wee Sing case! Anybody wanna take a crack at these?

1. When I was about 3 years old (in the late '70s), my favorite book to check out of the library was about a bunch of bunnies who lived in the roots of a tree. They dyed Easter eggs. I think maybe there was a woman who lived in a house near the tree. That's all I can remember. I loved the pictures of them painting the eggs. I've been on the hunt for this book forever but since I all know is Easter, eggs, bunnies...that doesn't narrow the field down much. Does it sound familiar to anybody?

Anybody remember either of these?
This is the best I could come up with: http://www.amazon.com/Easter-Egg-Art.../dp/0689714815

I'm looking for the Sesame street thing now. I'm having fun!!
#15 of 183 Old 01-13-2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post

Dar
Nice!
#16 of 183 Old 01-13-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravin View Post

I want to find a couple of young adult fantasy series I red as a preteen. One was set in a post-nuclear holocaust England about the return of King Arthur. The other was about a girl who switches places with her bookish brother and goes to court disguised as a boy and becomes a big hero.
Is this the king arthur one?
#17 of 183 Old 01-13-2007, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post

Dar
OMG!!!! You rock, you disco...and you made me cry! THANK YOU!!!!

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#18 of 183 Old 01-13-2007, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreac View Post
This is the best I could come up with: http://www.amazon.com/Easter-Egg-Art.../dp/0689714815
Same palette for the illustrations, but I don't think it's the same story. I wish I remembered more of it! All I have are these three-year-old's mental snapshots!

#19 of 183 Old 01-13-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:

This book is called "A Fish Out of Water" by Helen Palmer, illustrations by PD Eastman. One of our faves too.

Kim , mom to Amanda (16):, William (13), and Annie (5)
#20 of 183 Old 01-13-2007, 05:02 PM

Quote:

Tamora Pierce wrote a series about that scenario Alanna (Alana) the First Adventure, The Woman Who Rides Like a Man and another one...is that what you were remembering?

::::: Married for ten years to my good man :. Mama to my sweet and funny boy and my lovely little girl

#21 of 183 Old 01-13-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyswenn View Post

this maybe?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colargol
#22 of 183 Old 01-13-2007, 05:23 PM

I have one!

It's a children's book about a little girl who was a witch. I loved the book but all I remember is the name of the girl in the book: Weenie Witch. I've looked for it but can't find it anywhere. I think this was the title of the book too, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

ETA: Weenie Witch was a child witch and I remember there were some cobwebs or something that she (?) got caught in. There were lots of other witches in the book too. I don't remember the story much but it was my favorite book when I was very little.
#23 of 183 Old 01-13-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
I have one!

It's a children's book about a little girl who was a witch. I loved the book but all I remember is the name of the girl in the book: Weenie Witch. I've looked for it but can't find it anywhere. I think this was the title of the book too, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

ETA: Weenie Witch was a child witch and I remember there were some cobwebs or something that she (?) got caught in. There were lots of other witches in the book too. I don't remember the story much but it was my favorite book when I was very little.
Is this it? The Witch Family

, , , mama to Ross , Reagan (8/29/05), Joshua (from Haiti...here NOW due to the earthquake!), and Elijah , born safely 9-8-09.
#24 of 183 Old 01-13-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Same palette for the illustrations, but I don't think it's the same story. I wish I remembered more of it! All I have are these three-year-old's mental snapshots!
Ok so I did a search for the illustrator, since that seemed familiar and came up with Two Hundred Rabbits. Does that sound more familiar?
#25 of 183 Old 01-13-2007, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDiaperinMama View Post
Sadly, no. I'm sure the book I'm looking for was published a long time ago... I was reading it early 70's so the latest publishing date is probably like 1974.

Thanks for trying though!
#26 of 183 Old 01-13-2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDiaperinMama View Post
That's the one I was thinking of for the OP about the bunnies painting easter eggs.

Also, Periwinkle, that's a reprint, the original date was 1960.

ETA: I mean, the Amazon link is to a reprint.
#27 of 183 Old 01-13-2007, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
I have one!

I LOVED witch stories in 4th grade. I read every witch book I could get my hands on, and I had a little stuffed witch that I'd carry around in my back pocket.

I'll think about this one; Weenie Witch sounds familiar.

In the meantime, I have my own case:

There was a record album that I used to take out of the library all the time. It was the 70s, early 80s. I *think* the album was a double-album. It was dark blue, with a yellow submarine on the cover. It may have been a special-issue Beatles album, but I haven't been able to find it. It had, of course, Yellow Submarine, John Jacob Jingle-heimer Smith, Puff the Magic Dragon...It's not a typical BEatles album that I've ever seen in used record shops.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#28 of 183 Old 01-14-2007, 12:08 AM

Here are some from puberty:

I read a book (I'm sure it was pubbed in the 70s or early 80s) about a girl who has a crush on another girl. The scene that stuck with me is when they're at the park watching fireworks, and are both lying on a blanket, and hook fingers together. I could have thought it was about a character named Al, but I have since looked at that briefly and don't think that's it. (I Googled and found a paper about a book called Annie on My Mind. Perhaps that was it? I recall only that one scene.)

I read a book (surely pubbed in the early- to mid 80s) about the nuclear holocaust in the US. The story centers on a young boy who was (if I recall correctly) in a bomb shelter coincidentally when the bomb goes off. Various things happen, but I recall he was looking for his father/parents.
#29 of 183 Old 01-14-2007, 12:19 AM

Ok detectives, I have something that I would like to find for my kids..if posible. When I was a little girl we had these plastic blocks. They were sort of large, about the size of my palm as an 8 year old. They came in colors such as pink, yellow, orange/peach, a light blue, and I think red. They had two prongs on top that were rounded . We used them to build my little pony and strawberry shortcake houses. I have No Idea who even made these, but they were Great blocks. If I could find someon ebay I would love to buy them..

Does anyone know what I am talking about ?
#30 of 183 Old 01-14-2007, 01:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
The first is The Winter Of Magic's Return by Pamela Service (OMG I can't believe I remembered that!).

And I agree that the second one is probably Alanna: The First Adventure.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page