how many books do you read with your child per day? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How much do you read to your toddler each day?
I don't read to him/her 1 1.49%
1 book 0 0%
2-5 books 34 50.75%
6-10 books 17 25.37%
11-15 books 10 14.93%
16-20 books 3 4.48%
21-25 books 0 0%
more than 25 books 2 2.99%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-30-2007, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reading is a very big part of our day, I am just curious how it is for others. When I say 'book' I am talking about preschool type picture books, or Dr. Seuse (like green eggs and ham.) If you read a book more than once on average, just count the number of times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2007, 07:17 PM

Sometimes we read a stack, but usually they get to pick out one or two a piece.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:40 PM

:

i voted 2 - 5.
we almost always do bedtime stories which range from 1 to 5 depending on how late it is and how still they can sit and such..often durring the day we read books too..especially on rainy indoor days.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 01-30-2007, 11:37 PM

About six or seven, unless they are sick (in which case, stacks). This includes books dh reads. I do read to my 6 and 4 year-olds together, except at bedtime, when they get their own books (often a couple chapters). Our biggest problem with reading right now is that 19 month-old gets jealous, wants to be a part of it, and crawls all over us, grabbing the book etc.

People make fun of me for checking out so many library books (about 35 a week). I love finding books--looking through picture book guides, reading reviews etc.

We do read less in the spring/summer when we can be outside a lot.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:47 PM

umm...somewhere between zero and 20...really depends on the day. I haven't read anything to them today, and probably won't, as I'm picking up something for dinner, then going to choir rehearsal, and they'll be in bed when I get back. Yesterday, I read about 10. The day before that, I read the same book 4 times, and that was it.

It varies - a lot.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 01-31-2007, 12:30 AM

We usually read 5 or so, but considering that DS is in daycare most of the day, not bad for us. On weekends when I'm off, probably closer to 10.

Shannon, mama to Jack :
: : : : : :
Old 01-31-2007, 12:33 AM

On a typical day, at least 12. And then some...repeats.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:35 AM

Every evening we read three books. Kailey reads two to s and we read one to her.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:26 AM

At least two before bedtime. One before naptime and one or two sprinkled in during the day.

I read to my older kids ALOT when they were younger, I wish I had that kind of time now to spend with my little ones!
Old 01-31-2007, 03:56 AM

I want to add that my kids get something read to them everyday - but dh often does the bedtime reading. My bedtime "thing" tends to be singing.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 01-31-2007, 04:43 AM

On a typical day, we read at least a couple dozen (across multiple sessions). She's the one pushing that, and occasionally I'll have to cut her off by suggesting something else enticing to save my sanity. About six months ago, she had an obsession with Miss Spider's ABC and would beg me to read it more than 20 times a day, every day for a month. :

chanale ✡, ❖bibliophile❖ ❇vegan❇ mom to diva (5½)
madly in with spiritwolf, dad to (9) & (5½)
Old 01-31-2007, 05:30 AM

DS is finally to the point where he will let me read a book. He will bring me one to read from time to time. Right now they are simple board books with names of colors and animals. He really likes Water Water Everywhere it is a baby einstein and I almost know it with out reading it. I read that one many times a day. It is so cute watching him walk up to me at 11months with a book in hand. DD will want me to read to her many times a day and before bed. The Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly is her fav.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I read about 4-5 books to DD in the evening after I've picked her up from my mother. If I stay at home with DD, I read about 6-10 books to her during the day. In a typical day, DD might have about 15 books read to her, if you include the books my mother and DH read to DD. DD loves to have books read to her. Often, we read the same book over and over again because she just doesn't want the story to end

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:38 AM

We always read 3 at bed time (some times he works it up to 4) and they are rather long often (and he likes to chat) so this takes 30 min to an hour. We also read other books during the day alot (today he read with dh for 3 hours in the monring and then 1 hour at bed time with me).

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:01 AM

I put 11-15 books per day. I wasn't quite sure how to answer but that's probably the average. DH usually reads at least 3-5 at bedtime - and often times they're longer, more like the Dr. Seuss or sometimes just chapters in a science book or a novel. She's really into a children's collection of Farm Stories right now.

DD is 3-1/2 and we also just started really doing a lot of chapter books lately so I guess I would count each chapter as one book in this case. We started with Winnie-the-Pooh books a few months ago. Last week, we read "Charlotte's Web" and DD wanted me to read the entire book to her in one sitting. I couldn't do it - I kept falling asleep.

Now we're doing "Stuart Little" and trying to keep it to a few chapters at a time but kind of interspersed throughout the day/bedtime. It seems a little intense at times for her even though she loves it so we added some more familiar picture type books with rhyming and all right before falling asleep.

So I guess a more accurate picture of our reading quantity would be anything from 3 to over 25 depending upon the day and what else we're doing. :

We also let her watch TV. I try to keep it to a minimum but she'll often choose books over TV. I just wish she didn't want to read and nurse at the same time because my arm gets too tired.

I seriously think DD would let us read to her all day long if we were willing. We read until our voices are tired. She's a book fanatic. (So is her Daddy. He's into sci-fi and I usually prefer non-fiction.) What I think is weird is that DD's perfectly thrilled to read a book about rock collecting at bedtime. Or read about planets and constellations. She likes stories too - especially if they're about animals, but she also wanted to read about how apples grow every night for a week. I know I shouldn't worry, but sometimes I wonder if she's kind of weird or something.

Of course, the best part of the reading for us is that DD is really snuggly and it means she'll be sitting on our laps.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
I want to add that my kids get something read to them everyday - but dh often does the bedtime reading. My bedtime "thing" tends to be singing.

That's sweet. My DD doesn't like me to sing to her at bedtime anymore.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:53 AM

I don't really know how to count this! We read a ton. And we read the same book over and over and over sometimes....am I supposed to count that as one book?

My son brings me books all day long, in addition to the times we always read together (morning, before nap, before bed with dad usually). We have a lot of books and we visit the library weekly.

I love to encourage literacy and love of books, but there have been times I'll admit to have hidden a book or two for a week just to get a break from it! (Oh, I don't know where "Where Are You Baby Kangaroo" went! We'll have to find it later!)
Old 01-31-2007, 12:06 PM

When dd was a toddler, all we did, all day long, was read (well, it seemed that way, anyway). My son, however, if he sits still for a 4 word book, we're doing good. I still read "at" him, but not as often as I should... it just gets frustrating when he runs off to do other things while I'm trying to read to him.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starflower View Post
That's sweet. My DD doesn't like me to sing to her at bedtime anymore.
It's the only time I am allowed to sing! DD has the habit of yelling, "mommy, I didn't want you to sing that" whenever I try to sing during the day. *sigh*

It makes it really tricky to practice for my choir...

Old 01-31-2007, 06:46 PM

depends on the day and everyones' moods. some days she can't sit still for it, some days i can't (m almost never can, but he's just 13 months). we've done 2 thus far today.

User Tag List