#31 of 59 Old 02-15-2007, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taterbug1999 View Post
We like Jim Gill he has a site you can visit: jimgill.com

and we like Ralphs world: ralphsworld.com
Thanks taterbug. Just a quickie to say your kids are beeeeutitul! Man, what kind of didgi camera do you have? Your pics turned out sooooo clear!
#32 of 59 Old 02-15-2007, 09:57 AM

My daughter loves Carole King and the Bear Naked LAdies. In the "children's" genre, Philadelphia Chickens by Sandra Boyton is great and Sopngs From the Neighborhood - a medley of MR' Roger's Songs. Both are done by adult artists in a varity of adult type styles - swing, romantic, hip-hop, etc. I happily sing along to these songs.
#33 of 59 Old 02-15-2007, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
dh has an extensive collection of MP3s and an extensive collection of children's tunes. i'll list some of ours here. for kid-friendly, but non kid intended songs try these:

Beatles -- Yellow Submarine
Beatles -- Blackbird
Beatles -- All You Need is Love
Beatles -- Twist and Shout (or the Isley Bros version)
i'm sure there are tons more Beatles tunes you can go through

John Prine -- Big Old Goofy World (this comes to mind, but i haven't checked the lyrical content)

the "Hairspray" soundtrack, specifically, "Shake a Tailfeather"

Stray Cats -- Stray Cat Strut

Kitty Cat -- Los Straitjackets

lots of those oldies dance songs like "The Locomotion", "Dancin' in the Streets", etc, etc.

for kids music aimed at kids, i'll second some already mentioned:
Elizabeth Mitchell
Lisa Loeb and Elizabeth Mitchell
Justin Roberts
Dan Zanes
Ralph's World
and add a few more
Laurie Berkner
Billy Jonas
Jimmy Magoo
Baron Von Rumblebus
Farmer Jason/Jason Ringenberg
Wee Hairy Beasties
Doc Watson
Woody Guthrie

and then there are some gems i've scored at thrift stores over the years like The Yeaworth Family Singers and their rendition of "Amos The Famous Mosquito".

hth

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#34 of 59 Old 02-15-2007, 01:57 PM

Oh, the Woody Guthrie stuff for kids is absolutely wonderful. And my kid went through a long infatuation with the "Woody's Roundup" album (not Guthrie) -- it's not the soundtrack to Toy Story 2; it's old-fashioned "cowboy" music by Western music traditionalists Riders in the Sky. The conceit is that it's from a '50s cowboy-themed puppet show. Some classics, and some songs about Woody and Jessie from the movie. There's yodeling and everything!

Also, in "not made for kids" genre, ABBA and the Jackson Five. Poi Dog Pondering is worth a listen, too -- they're very quirky and fun. And you might try some zydeco; it's really upbeat and danceable. Maybe Buckwheat Zydeco or Queen Ida?

And finally, the Lilo and Stitch soundtrack! I could listen to Hawaiian Rollercoaster Ride all day.
#35 of 59 Old 02-15-2007, 03:09 PM

Pretty much anything by Trout Fishing In America.

Personal favorites:

"My Hair Had A Party Last Night"
"Five Little Ducks"
"Pico de Gallo"
"Baby's Got The Car Keys" <---Story of my life.
"I Got A Cheese Log"

Waldorf mama to 5yo b/g twins
#36 of 59 Old 02-16-2007, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter

Oh these are great suggestions. Coleslaw, Carole King is wonderful! I'm so glad you reminded me of her.

Beanma, This music list is very helpful. Im looking forward to checking out the more obscure music you listed at the end of your post. I like to find those great surprise bands at the thrift shop as well. Doc Watson and Woody or both my inspiration for wanting to even start this kids radio. I can't for the life of me find the lyrics to It's a Big Ol' Goofy World". I love that song so I'll have to dig up the album and listen as John Prine has a way of sneaking in some pretty interesting lines. Here is a fun sight on his misheard lyrics. Check it out. http://www.jpshrine.org/misheardconf3.htm Thanks for your list.

Thalia....I never even thought of Poi Dog Pondering. I used to listen to their stuff ages ago and loved it! I look forward to seeing what might be appropriate. Looking forward to checking out Woody's Roundup.

Medenj, thanks for the Trout suggestions. I haven't heard all of these but Pic de Gallo is one of my favorites too. I saw them up at the Lyons Folk Fest and thought they were wonderful.
#37 of 59 Old 02-16-2007, 04:29 AM

We love Greg Brown's Bathtub Blues.
He has great songs on there. Couple of good quotes from the songs are
"I'm gonna take care of my children if I can....payday....payday.....I'm gonna take care of my children payday."
And there's a song called Everything I've got is in the pawn.
Good adult/kid music.
Plus he's from Iowa (where I live) and he's hot.
#38 of 59 Old 02-16-2007, 12:24 PM

there are a buncha john prine lyrics here -- http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/p...rld-10879.html . "big old goofy world" has "d@mn" in it once so not sure how you feel about that...

do you have "daddy-o daddy" -- the woody guthrie comp?

jillkuster, the "everything i've got is in the pawn" is an old blues song called "shake sugaree" written by elizabeth "libba" cotten. lots of people have covered it -- including dylan i think. taj mahal also does a great version. he has a buncha kids songs, too.

etta james has some kids stuff -- i think on smithsonian/folkways.

hth

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

#39 of 59 Old 02-16-2007, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks taterbug. Just a quickie to say your kids are beeeeutitul! Man, what kind of didgi camera do you have? Your pics turned out sooooo clear!
Simple living mama,
Thanks so much for the kind compliment- I think they're cute, but I'm partial!
As for the camera it's a Kodak easyshare Z760- they're pretty reasonable and ours came bundled with a charging dock so no batteries needed,plus it takes pretty decent video clips. It really has been a good camera. HTH!
#40 of 59 Old 02-16-2007, 10:54 PM

My ds likes Buddy Holly (I have a "best of" CD). It's upbeat but not frantic.
He also likes the Ramones for "dancing" music.
#41 of 59 Old 02-17-2007, 01:12 AM

Lately, Dd and I have been listening to The Sound of Music soundtrack. She laughs hysterically and claps when I sing along. I'm not sure if she is just excited or if she is laughing at my singing voice.

coolshine.gif

#42 of 59 Old 02-17-2007, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillkuster View Post
Plus he's from Iowa (where I live) and he's hot.
I plan on opening the show with Greg Brown. He's the best. We saw him in Lyon's Colorado and he waders out from fishing in his waiters, get's on the stage, grabs his guitars and starts playing. Waders and all.

Thanks for the link Bean mama. No, I think kids can handle the word damn. If it's too much for the parents, they can turn it off I suppose: .

I have woody's other cd but so looking forward to checking daddy o daddy out. I wonder if itunes has it?

I just found out about the smithsonian fokways. What a treasure of music. I look forward to hearing ettas's kids music.

Thanks riverscout and OakBerry for the good suggestions.: That cracked me up about your baby laughing at your singing. You probably just made her so happy, that's all!
#43 of 59 Old 02-17-2007, 11:55 AM

yeah, i wouldn't exactly purposefully expose my kids to "d@mn", but i wouldn't turn off the song if it came on the radio either. it's sort of an incidental word in the song anyway --"don't give a d@mn" as the end of a line. it doesn't sound as bad as "d@mn you" or something, y'know?

talking about kids and parents singing, mine are ALWAYS asking me to STOP! i almost get offended at times : . the only time they seem to like it is when i sing them "Hush Little Baby" at night so they can go to sleep.

"daddy-o, daddy" is great. it is on itunes, but be sure to spell it right. i googled it "daddy, oh daddy" at first and that wasn't returning it so i finally figured out it's "Daddy-o, Daddy".

i can probably find more tunes. i didn't bring the iPod in from the car so most of that is from memory. right now my kids have been on a cat kick so that's why there were a lot of cat songs in my first list.

Billy Jonas has a website here -- http://www.billyjonas.com/

can't find Jimmy Magoo's website, but i will see what i can find out for you.

Baron Von Rumblebus kind of a kiddy cheap trick vibe. they do a cover of "surrender", which could be a good one to add to your list of "kid appropriate songs not aimed at kids".

wee hairy beasties are on bloodshot records.

bloodshot also had a great kids compiliation a few years ago called "the bottle let me down". looks like they have a few other kids tunes, too -- http://www.bloodshotrecords.com/artists/forthekids/ . i haven't checked them all out.

my kids love laurie berkner. she's getting tons of exposure these days with "Jack's Big Music Show" on Noggin on cable.

woody has several kids cds, too.

hope you have a great time doing your show!

#44 of 59 Old 02-26-2007, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post
yeah, i wouldn't exactly purposefully expose my kids to "d@mn", but i wouldn't turn off the song if it came on the radio either. it's sort of an incidental word in the song anyway --"don't give a d@mn" as the end of a line. it doesn't sound as bad as "d@mn you" or something, y'know?

talking about kids and parents singing, mine are ALWAYS asking me to STOP! i almost get offended at times : . the only time they seem to like it is when i sing them "Hush Little Baby" at night so they can go to sleep.

"daddy-o, daddy" is great. it is on itunes, but be sure to spell it right. i googled it "daddy, oh daddy" at first and that wasn't returning it so i finally figured out it's "Daddy-o, Daddy".

i can probably find more tunes. i didn't bring the iPod in from the car so most of that is from memory. right now my kids have been on a cat kick so that's why there were a lot of cat songs in my first list.

Billy Jonas has a website here -- http://www.billyjonas.com/

can't find Jimmy Magoo's website, but i will see what i can find out for you.

Baron Von Rumblebus kind of a kiddy cheap trick vibe. they do a cover of "surrender", which could be a good one to add to your list of "kid appropriate songs not aimed at kids".

wee hairy beasties are on bloodshot records.

bloodshot also had a great kids compiliation a few years ago called "the bottle let me down". looks like they have a few other kids tunes, too -- http://www.bloodshotrecords.com/artists/forthekids/ . i haven't checked them all out.

my kids love laurie berkner. she's getting tons of exposure these days with "Jack's Big Music Show" on Noggin on cable.

woody has several kids cds, too.

hope you have a great time doing your show!
Thanks Beanma. I can't wait to check out your suggestions. Cheap Trick. The first album I ever was allowed to buy. Yes, I had parents that were anti-music. I think that's why I like it so much.

Don't let your kids ever stop you from singing mama! They will appreciate it someday and miss it when they move out. Keep using your pipes despite what they say! Thanks for the good words.
#45 of 59 Old 02-26-2007, 09:56 PM

"everything i've got is in the pawn" is an old blues song called "shake sugaree" written by elizabeth "libba" cotten. lots of people have covered it -- including dylan i think.

Oh wow....I didn't know that. I'm off to check it out. I LOVE that song.
#46 of 59 Old 02-26-2007, 10:09 PM

My (almost) SIL gave me Putumayo Reggae Playground for Christmas and I love it. Most of the songs are not even children songs... It is great music for the entire family. I always have it playing in my car.
#47 of 59 Old 02-27-2007, 02:49 AM

I know it's not exactly Childrens music per se, but DS (4/04) was rocking out to track 4 of the new Shins album. Sadly, he wasn't as into The Decemberists, to my chagrin.
#48 of 59 Old 02-28-2007, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

I think I will purchase all the putumayo's having to do with children's songs and some that don't. I especially love their French Cafe c.d.

emptymug, thanks for the Shins recommendation. Im all about good music that's appropriate for kids that's not necessarily kids music. Thanks again.
#49 of 59 Old 02-28-2007, 04:23 PM

Hi
I'm in a kid's band and we play original music for kids that rocks!! We are called Tunebuggy. Check out our myspace at http://www.myspace.com/tunebuggy
We are mixing our full length CD right now and it will be available on CD baby soon! Hope you like our stuff!

Sarah, unschooling musician mama to Ella (12/24/00) , Aurora (1/31/04) and Hazel (1/30/07) (agenesis of the corpus colosum, large interhemispheric cyst, macrocephaly, shunt). homeschool.gif bfolderchild.gif familybed1.gifguitar.gif
#50 of 59 Old 02-28-2007, 05:29 PM

Calypso is great for kids, too. Does Putomayo have a calypso album?
#51 of 59 Old 02-28-2007, 11:37 PM

Not sure if anybody has mentioned them, but Justin Roberts has some AWESOME kids CD's that I Looooooove listening to. And ditto goes for Billy Jonas. Seriously, check them out.
#52 of 59 Old 03-01-2007, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypants View Post
Hi
I'm in a kid's band and we play original music for kids that rocks !! We are called Tunebuggy. Check out our myspace at http://www.myspace.com/tunebuggy
We are mixing our full length CD right now and it will be available on CD baby soon! Hope you like our stuff!

Sweet music monkeypants! Are you the main vocals? Send me a burned c.d. and I'll play it. We don't have to wait for your formal c.d to come out. If you do this, make sure you send me a good long blurb about you guys so I can talk about you and some contact info incase anyone wants to order your c.d. when it comes out. Pm me for address.

Thalia the Muse, Nice suggestion. Calypso music is good happy dancing music.

dancingmama, Ok, I'll check these guys out. Thanks.
#53 of 59 Old 03-01-2007, 03:34 PM

Tom Chapin! We just saw him in concert a few weeks ago and both dd's loved it! I am humming "Walk the world now children."

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#54 of 59 Old 03-03-2007, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks brendon. Tom Chapin sounds really fun!
#55 of 59 Old 03-04-2007, 12:10 AM

The band "The New Amsterdams" just put out a kids album under the band name "The Terrible Twos." The album is called If You Ever See an Owl. They are on tour with a couple of terrible twos dates planned, you can see their tour schedule on their myspace page.

Their myspace addy is:

http://www.myspace.com/theterribletwosband

I'll second (or third) the Dan Zanes recommendation.

Larry Kirwan from Black 47 put out a kids album a couple of years ago called Keltic Kids. I think I'm the one who likes it the best, but my family listens to it quite a lot.

And finally, one of my favorites, a multiartist album, sort of rockabilly style, called The Bottle Let Me Down.

All of these recommendations are real musicians, real music, stuff that parents can listen to and enjoy, with or without the kids around.
Enjoy!

Lori
#56 of 59 Old 03-04-2007, 09:46 PM

oh yeah, "the bottle let me down" is hilarious. it's on bloodshot records. that crazy robbie fulks!

#57 of 59 Old 09-07-2013, 12:30 AM

Hello Beanma,

The Yeaworth Family Singers were my favorite when I was a kid!! I've been looking for that album for my kids! Any chance you could record it for me? I will gladly reimburse you!!

THANKS!

#58 of 59 Old 09-07-2013, 01:54 AM

I love this album! Sing Me To Sleep - Indie Lullabies

http://www.amazon.com/Sing-Me-To-Sleep-Lullabies/dp/B003DG5OGI

#59 of 59 Old 09-07-2013, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

This came up in new posts.  When DS was little (and still now at a whopping 13) he loves Kenny Loggins - Return to Pooh Corner

http://www.amazon.com/Return-Pooh-Corner-Kenny-Loggins/dp/B0000029FW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378572544&sr=8-1&keywords=kenny+loggins+return+to+pooh+corner

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page