Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is slash?
#122 of 278 Old 07-17-2003, 01:37 AM

Fics depicting same sex relationships. I don't know why it is called that but it has quite a following.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#123 of 278 Old 07-18-2003, 02:42 AM
pie

hi everyone! I haven't read this whole thread yet but I finally finished. It took forever as I left my book behind just when I got to somewhere around occlumency classes. It was just getting really intriguing. Isleta here let me borrow her copy and I finally finished.

I do think Umbridge was my favorite character and wow what a great caricature she is. She is every rule loving authority figure ever disdained by a rebel with or without a cause. I didn't like her, and it's hard to see how anyone but a slytherin really could, as I suspect she's a death eater at LEAST, but she was a good bad guy. Considering Harry's rebellious and angry state of mind, and where he was in his journey, I think it was time for a disagreeable headmaster. Dumbledore is really complacent with Harry and by removing him and taking away everyone Harry loved and making him Nobody's Child yet again, she really set the stage for an interesting next book.

well regarding slash, I have sort of looked at it a little, thanks to abimommy, and of course I was thinking about how Sirius was the fairy godfather after reading some of it. That stuff can be so disturbing but some of it is actually REALLY well written. Well I didn't see any greatly written slash except for that it seemed in one that abi linked me to that was not slash but had slash in it, where Draco Malfoy seemed to be having some kind of relation with some form of Voldemort.

*shivers*
#124 of 278 Old 07-18-2003, 03:58 AM
pie

I really did think Harry showed forgiveness for Snape. He was rocked at realizing that his father was not all silver thread and golden needles. He is still, however, afraid of him, and when you are afraid of someone, and they have repeatedly demonstrated a certain disregard for you, you don't just run up and give them a hug because all of a sudden you see that they are not pure evil themselves.

I do think it was weak of Snape to discontinue teaching Harry, BUT I think if Harry had gone back, he would have continued the lessons.
#125 of 278 Old 07-18-2003, 04:00 AM
pie

Quote:
Originally posted by isleta
This thread is so cool! It was so interesting to hear all the insights to the book. For I have none. I am just so angry about Sirius death. Really. And I need to get over it I guess. The obit. got me too.
Isleta
Okay I haven't made it so far but you did point out tonight over the butterbeer (oh yeah she HORKED it all so her little boy didn't get but a drop) that Harry needs this in his Journey, that this is classic adventure fodder, etc. That was a deep thought, even if it wasn't yours originally or whatever, you did point it out to me.
#126 of 278 Old 07-18-2003, 04:13 AM
pie

Quote:
Originally posted by mamajulie
T Does the depiction of the house-elves bother anyone else?

It seems to me rather racist.....for lack of a better word. They seem more like slaves than servants, and it seems to me that their language (syntax) is supposed to be depicting slaves.
I think the depiction of the elves was intended to disturb, really. They are indeed an enslaved race, more or less.

The whole thing with the other races of magical creatures being thought less, even muggles being thought less, the centaurs thinking they were more... it's pretty much an allegory.
#127 of 278 Old 07-18-2003, 05:11 AM
pie

Quote:
Originally posted by abimommy
I agree Harry should apologize. He completely violated Severus' trust, Snape was truly trying to help him this time and Harry really screwed up.
hey abi let's grab Harry when he's not suspecting it and take him to the dungeons bwahaha
#128 of 278 Old 07-18-2003, 05:19 AM
pie

Quote:
Originally posted by madrone
Mickey is to tease or ridicule.

Patronus means patron saint. There is a catholic Saint Godric that has something to do with a stag. Rowling knows her stuff. Someone pointed out that Flamel was a real person. I think the stag and Saint Godric is not a coincidence. I also think that Voldermort's connection to Harry has to be about something more than him being almost killed when the spell struck back on him.
flamel is a real person and the sorcerer's stone is 'real' as well, depending on whether or not you believe in whats it called, it's one am, I better go to bed.

Um what is that CALLED where they tried to turn stuff into gold. Shoot. Anyway if you google Flamel I think you get something about the philosopher's stone. Or else it's someone else.

Okay I am going to BED.
#129 of 278 Old 07-18-2003, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Well I didn't see any greatly written slash except for that it seemed in one that abi linked me to that was not slash but had slash in it, where Draco Malfoy seemed to be having some kind of relation with some form of Voldemort.
LOL!! I didn't know what you were talking about at first..I was like "Huh, what slash?"

It was an icky being that came in from some other plane, I think it was supposed to be Snape's fetch(???).

I am sure there is some actual romantic type slash that is well written but that particular thing was supposed to be scary..*shivers*

Quote:
hey abi let's grab Harry when he's not suspecting it and take him to the dungeons bwahaha
we would probably have to smack him around a little first to make him apologize...muwhahahahaha

Quote:
I do think it was weak of Snape to discontinue teaching Harry, BUT I think if Harry had gone back, he would have continued the lessons
He should have just poisoned (and given him the antidote later) him or hexed him or something. Harry did actually need the lessons but he was being a little craphead. He looked in Dumbledore's penseive too..the little sneak...didn't get in trouble then but he should have known Snape wouldn't have let him off so easily.

Do you mean alchemy??

#130 of 278 Old 07-18-2003, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Pie: Alchemy.
#131 of 278 Old 07-18-2003, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mamapie

The whole thing with the other races of magical creatures being thought less, even muggles being thought less, the centaurs thinking they were more... it's pretty much an allegory.
Maybe she is leading up to some finale with those two "races"... I mean, she can't just have Hermione obsessing about house elves and then not have it wrap up, maybe they will work together to do something.... and the centaur that works at Hogwarts, maybe he and Dumbledore can convince the others to help against Voldemort... Hmmm, dunno....

...Not gonna read the slash....
..... don't need any more ideas for Sirius..........

.......... imagination already too overactive on that front...........

#132 of 278 Old 07-18-2003, 01:06 PM
pie

Quote:
Originally posted by MamaMichele
Does anyone else see JKR writing another potter book after the first seven. I'd like to see what the famous trio are up to 5 or 10 years after school. Or, maybe, just maybe, I need a life?
Michele (who is still all freaked out and (spoiler) thinking that maybe its Neville and not Harry.
I always say I hope she sells out and becomes like the Flowers in the Attic person with other people writing books even after she's dead. Like when I am eighty I want to read about sixty year old harry dodging magical shuffleboard pucks or whatever on the Good Ship Dumbledore or something.
#133 of 278 Old 07-18-2003, 01:08 PM
pie

Quote:
Originally posted by kama'aina mama
I just have trouble believing THAT was Snapes worst memory. I mean, yes, things that happened during our adolescence are magnified by hormones and now by time, etc.... but come on! The guy was an inner circle Death Eater! And then he walked away from it! The WORST thing EVER in his life was THAT? I dunno. I think more to the point it was the memory he MOST wanted Harry not to see. Perhaps even to allow Harry to keep his ideas of James happy ones. OR.... he knew Potter would snoop and made a point of dropping it in the Pensieve right in front of him night after night to tempt him to look at it because he wanted Harry to see the REAL James. (He could easily have done the little chore with the pensieve a few minutes before Harry arrived... right?)
I think perhaps it was his worst memory in regards to it being the WORST memory Harry could have seen.
#134 of 278 Old 07-18-2003, 07:09 PM

I think it was his worst memory from Harry's point of view. It really caused him to question his father and godfather.

I am sure Snape probably has much worse memories from his time as a Death Eater.

Maybe it is "Snape's -worst -memory -that -we -could- get published- in -a -children's- book -without -an -explicit -content for -violence- sticker"

#135 of 278 Old 07-18-2003, 08:01 PM
pie

Well abi we know Snape's worst memory is the day I left him and he had to settle for you.
#136 of 278 Old 07-18-2003, 09:02 PM

Ok, just how many times is it not insane to read this book so far? I know the grammer in that sentance was sucky, but yk what I mean. I have already read it twice and want to read it again!!! \

btw, mamapie, love love love your sig line.!

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#137 of 278 Old 07-18-2003, 11:34 PM

Thanks Mamapie for the deep thought recall I was talking about the heros journey in literature and how this is the "dark" novel. I think the example given to me was Star Wars when Luke finds his father-the real one. OT-Saw a shirt that had Darth Vader on it says-"Whos your daddy".
I think Snape and Harry are responsible for the lessons, but kinda have to say Snape is the one who really knew what was going on-more than Harry and put Harry in some trouble. However, just listening to POAzk and at the part where Snape makes the potion for Lupin-what a guy!! Might just dye my hair black!
Some slash is romantic-well the one I found. Draco relly digs Harry and he suffers so

Isleta
#138 of 278 Old 07-19-2003, 04:40 AM

hey pie,

#139 of 278 Old 07-21-2003, 08:57 PM

Quote:
I keep wondering, though, how Snape is going to be able to spy for the OOP -- after all Voldie in Quirrell heard him threaten Quirrell and knows that S is pro Dumbledore. Also, V even refers to S as the one who thinks he has left us forever (I'm certain I'm paraphrasing, but you get the gist) in Goblet.
Oh yeah, forgot about that...although good points from later posters in regard to it too.

Does anyone else think that Crookshanks is also an animagus? I firmly believe he is...that he might even be a she, maybe Lily. After all, others have shown up alive. I'm re-reading Azkaban right now, and Crookshanks responds to Scabbers so quickly and angrily, and also responds to Ron talking about Scabbers, i.e., when he talks about Scabbers sleeping in his bookbag and Crookshanks immediately attacks the bag. Anyway, that's my newest guess at clue searches.
#140 of 278 Old 07-21-2003, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LiamnEmma
[
Does anyone else think that Crookshanks is also an animagus? I firmly believe he is...that he might even be a she, maybe Lily. After all, others have shown up alive. I'm re-reading Azkaban right now, and Crookshanks responds to Scabbers so quickly and angrily, and also responds to Ron talking about Scabbers, i.e., when he talks about Scabbers sleeping in his bookbag and Crookshanks immediately attacks the bag. Anyway, that's my newest guess at clue searches. [/B]

If you've seen "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find them" It seems like Crookshanks is at least part Kneazle:
"A small catlike creature with flecked, speckled or spotted fur, outsize ears, and a tail like a lion's the Kneazle is intellgient, independent and occasionaly aggresive, though if it takes a liking to a witch or wizard, it makes an excellant pet. Th eKneazle has the uncanny ability to detect unsavory or suspicious characters . . .can interbreed with cats."
#141 of 278 Old 07-22-2003, 12:52 AM

I have been wondering if we might see more of Crookshanks. Interesting about the kneazle.

Mamapie, what was your butterbeer made of? We were drinking rootbeer the other night and pretending it was butterbeer, but it wasn't close enough.
#142 of 278 Old 07-22-2003, 01:46 AM

I always imagine butterbeer as akin to a Hot Buttered Rum. yum!
#143 of 278 Old 07-22-2003, 04:26 PM

http://www.mugglenet.com has a butterbeer recipe. I don't know how similar it is to the real butterbeer, but they do have one.
#144 of 278 Old 07-22-2003, 06:38 PM

So I was wondering, how do the muggle parents of children tell other parents where their kids go to school?

I mean, the wizarding world goes through a lot of effort to keep themselves hidden from muggles. So do Hermione's parents lie about where she goes to school and never ever mention to anyone that there are wizards and witches about? Do squibs just join the muggle world and never mention to anyone that there are wizards?
#145 of 278 Old 07-22-2003, 06:50 PM

Mugglenet isn't turning up anything when I search for butterbeer, but I found some other recipes.

This cold version looks best to me. But it's alcoholic. For kids I guess you could use butterscotch syrup, and maybe one could add some seltzer to tone down the sweetness. Take a look around the rest of this site. This woman created an amazing HP party!

Other recipes call for various things such as butter and half and half.

Apparently JK Rowling said it tastes something like butterscotch. And one can get it both hot and cold.
#146 of 278 Old 07-22-2003, 06:57 PM

I always wondered that about Hermione and family. I mean, a letter of acceptance to Hogwarts comes (a school they've never heard of and world they never knew existed) and the parents just say, "Ok" and pack off their 11 yr old? Plus, how did they know how to get to Diagon Alley to buy supplies?
#147 of 278 Old 07-22-2003, 07:31 PM

I've also wondered what muggle parents tell their friends and how "mugbloods" find out they are wizards.

I doubt the diagon alley thing is so difficult though. I wouldn't be surprised if a wizard is sent to the family to help them work things out, as Hagrid was sent to Harry's. Otherwise, there could be specific instructions in the letter.

Some things I've been wondering are how much does it cost to send a child to Hogwarts? And do all wizard children in England go to Hogwarts or do some not make it in? If they don't go to Hogwarts, where do they go?

And we know about Beauxbatons (sp? I haven't read this in a while) and Durmstrang, but I have to assume that other countries have their own wizard schools. Why is the tri-wizard tournament exclusively with those two schools?
#148 of 278 Old 07-22-2003, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
These are the two places that I feel JK really drops the ball.. but they are tough places and they are slightly related. The first is when the muggle world and the wizarding world come together. Too much of it simply makes no sense. How muggles agree to send their kids, how they manage it, etc... and how someone like Arthur Weasely whose whole job revolves around muggles, whose is passionately fascinated with them is still so dumb about them while other Wizards/Witches are apparently able to pass in the muggle world quite well. ("Me Mum's a witch, me Da's a muggle. Bit of a surprise for him!" -Seamus) The other is a question of scope... just how many magical folk are there? How many in England? In the rest of the world? Because to say things like Hogwarts is the finest school for witches and wizards in the world... implies a field of comparison. So is it Hogwarts=Oxford and Buex..= Sorbonne, etc with numerous lesser schools here and there? And the grads of those fine schools pretty much run things while the grads of the Yorkshire School for Magic and Sheep Shearing end up working on the Knight Bus and pushing the trolley on the train?
#149 of 278 Old 07-22-2003, 09:46 PM

"the Yorkshire School for Magic and Sheep Shearing "

Good Lord that cracked me up.....
#150 of 278 Old 07-23-2003, 03:59 PM

lol, i am rolling.

I am also toooo addicted. I want to read it a third time. Is that bad?:

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page