Knocked Up - the movie - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 66 Old 06-03-2007, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Saw it this afternoon - thought it was very cute

MDCers will like some of it (the family with mattresses on the bedroom floor - although the mom does tell the pregnant character that she needs a crib), mention of not vaccinating, desire for no pain meds).

While homebirth advocates may be yelling at the hospital scene, I thought the labor & delivery scene was very realistic for a comedy!

Breastfeeding (or not) did not appear to arise, since the baby isn't born until the end of the movie.

Curious to see what other MDCers think.

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 66 Old 06-03-2007, 09:31 PM

I really want to see it!
#3 of 66 Old 06-03-2007, 10:11 PM

I can't wait to see this!
#4 of 66 Old 06-03-2007, 10:15 PM

even the previews make me want to vomit.

i'm really sick of pregnancy/labor and delivery comedies. i guess i have a chip on my shoulder because my pregnancies and L&Ds sucked. worse part of my life all three were. why don't we tackle that? the challenges? the mamas who have it very rough? but instead we mock the whole thing which gives the medical industry an inch to take advantage of misconceptions and, of course, they run with it.

/rant

sorry, like i said i have a bee up my bum over the whole thing. i am now exiting the thread.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#5 of 66 Old 06-03-2007, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Huh? Are you saying comic movies shouldn't include story lines that include pregnancies? This movie was mostly about the relationship that had to develop between two people that had a drunken one-night stand that resulted in an unintended pregnacy, but still . . .

If you watch this one, you might be pleasantly surprised at the way the OBs are portrayed - not very well.

But I am confused by what you dislike - it's a movie that supposed to make you laugh - not a documentary or catalyst for social change.

Tanya
#6 of 66 Old 06-03-2007, 10:28 PM

I LOVED this. I really loved it. When I go to a movie, I go expecting a movie and to enjoy myself...not to judge and hope it's like my life/experiences or whatever.
And the birth scene....I don't want to spoil anything, but they show something I was surprised they showed and found that very cool.
I laughed so hard I peed myself and cried at parts too.
I want to go back!!!!
#7 of 66 Old 06-03-2007, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah - the something you are talking about was pretty cool! And surprising to see! Wonder if it will appear on the website?

Tanya
#8 of 66 Old 06-03-2007, 10:33 PM

I saw it on Saturday, and I was really pleasantly surprised! It was definitely a comedy, but very realistic. The relationships were realistic, and it was totally sweet. I had braced myself to be horrified at the pregnancy/labor/birth stuff, but I was so surprised- **SPOILERS AHEAD** there was only one major "error" in the portrayal of the hospital birth that bothered me- the doctor wanted to break her water when the baby seemed to be in distress due to the cord around the neck Um, no that would take away the cushion and make cord compression more likely! But she continued to labor drug-free and had a vaginal birth- no emergency cesarean!

Like a PP said, the sister's family had a family-bed set up, didn't vaccinate, etc. They weren't portrayed as particularly NFL/AP or anything, but it was nice. The main character labored at home in the tub before going to the hospital and talked about how there needed to be no stress in the room when the baby was born- that she needed to be born into a gentle environment. She had a drug-free birth, and the pushing etc. was fairly realistic- at least she LOOKED like someone who was in labor- sweaty hair and no makeup. The doctor was an idiot/jerk, but was portrayed that way on purpose. One of the books they bought at the bookstore before the baby came was "The Birth Partner" by Penny Simkin (although the other one was "What to Expect..." : ) They showed the main character at childbirth class breathing/relaxing on the floor, and it wasn't set up as a big joke or anything, it was just part of a montage about preparing for the birth.

Overall I loved this movie!! I was expecting it to be funny, but I was also dreading the labor/birth portrayal. I'm so glad I was wrong. A lot of the humor was really crude if that bothers you, but I thought it was hilarious and very realistic. I loved that they didn't portray any of the NFL aspects as the butts of jokes. I'm definitely going to see it again!
#9 of 66 Old 06-03-2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teensy View Post
Huh? Are you saying comic movies shouldn't include story lines that include pregnancies? This movie was mostly about the relationship that had to develop between two people that had a drunken one-night stand that resulted in an unintended pregnacy, but still . . .

If you watch this one, you might be pleasantly surprised at the way the OBs are portrayed - not very well.

But I am confused by what you dislike - it's a movie that supposed to make you laugh - not a documentary or catalyst for social change.
nope. i'm just saying i'm tired of that being all that's pushed. "oh look at the ignorant young couple about to 'accidently' have a baby. hey, lets go laugh at them!" it's unsettling to me. i could stomach it if this wasn't a typical basic plot line for movies about pregnancy/L&D. i just want to see a bit more and also a bit more reverence and respect for women and birth. movies like these don't offer that. and we wonder why the general society has the attitude it does on pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding, and motherhood that it does.
this is all my personal opinion. i don't care if people want to make these movies and go see them. i don't and i don't want my daughter's to see them and get the idea that that's what birth/motherhood is/should be. movies like these further the sterotype, IMO.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#10 of 66 Old 06-03-2007, 10:38 PM

I loved it, but all through the hospital scene I was thinking poor girl, you should have just stayed at home in that nice big bath tub. We aren't even pregnant yet, but we have talked about birth options. I thought this scene was an excellent example of how hospital procedures set you up for complications and more pain.
#11 of 66 Old 06-04-2007, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teensy View Post
Huh? Are you saying comic movies shouldn't include story lines that include pregnancies? This movie was mostly about the relationship that had to develop between two people that had a drunken one-night stand that resulted in an unintended pregnacy

Hmm, I haven't seen the movie or even a preview for it, but I would think it would be quite a stretch to make the story of a girl's unplanned pregnancy from a one night stand into a comedy.
#12 of 66 Old 06-04-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mz_libbie22 View Post
but I would think it would be quite a stretch to make the story of a girl's unplanned pregnancy from a one night stand into a comedy.
My friend knew the guy before but had not dated him and their first night together resulted in her becoming pregnant and a wedding and 11 years later and it's (still) funny, when it's not anymore sad or frustrating or hard than any other relationship with kids. If she had not become pregnant who knows if they would have tried at a relationship. They laugh about it and am pretty sure they're going to see the movie.

ETA: I think you can find the humour in just about any situation and a crisis is so ripe with material. I think it's good to laugh at a lot of things. My friends agree.
#13 of 66 Old 06-04-2007, 10:41 AM

I sooo want to go see it. lol.
#14 of 66 Old 06-04-2007, 02:56 PM

As a (formerly young and ignorant) mama who "accidentally had a baby" at 19, I think this movie looks like a sweet funny breath of fresh air I will enjoy. I can't wait to see it!

Mom to 3 Married to geek.gif for 10 wonderful years luxlove.gif
13 af.gif 9 goodvibes.gifand 6coolshine.gif

#15 of 66 Old 06-04-2007, 02:57 PM

DH and I went to see and laughed the whole time. I'm hoping my mom will want to see it so I can go again...
#16 of 66 Old 06-04-2007, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
would think it would be quite a stretch to make the story of a girl's unplanned pregnancy from a one night stand into a comedy.
Wow. So if a pregnancy is unintended (though not necessarily unwanted), then nothing funny can happen to the couple over the next seven months? They can't have any akward-but-funny dates, or friends and co-workers who make stupid comments, or nieces who make funny comments. Their families and friends can't do anything funny that might make an audience laugh?

This movie isn't about a 12 year old rape victim. It's about a grown woman with a home and a job who wants her baby and wants the father to be a part of the baby's life, but isn't sure about her relationship with the man.

I can't imagine thinking that there is no way a comic movie could be made about a pregnant woman's life, simply becaue the pregancy was not planned.

Tanya
#17 of 66 Old 06-04-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole lisa View Post
My friend knew the guy before but had not dated him and their first night together resulted in her becoming pregnant and a wedding and 11 years later and it's (still) funny, when it's not anymore sad or frustrating or hard than any other relationship with kids. If she had not become pregnant who knows if they would have tried at a relationship. They laugh about it and am pretty sure they're going to see the movie.

ETA: I think you can find the humour in just about any situation and a crisis is so ripe with material. I think it's good to laugh at a lot of things. My friends agree.

:raises hand: Yeah they are telling my story too and DH and I can't wait to see it. We got pregnant the first night he touched me....fast forward two years later we are sooo happy *still*, have a gorgeous son we adore...and oooh...my....goodness...do we laugh about everything

We can't wait to see this!!!
#18 of 66 Old 06-04-2007, 05:39 PM

Ordinarily I would avoid a "dumb comedy" movie like this like the plague. But knowing that the director also created Freaks and Geeks has me considering it.
#19 of 66 Old 06-04-2007, 05:45 PM

I watched the Ellen show with Katherine Hiegl, who stars in the movie. Ellen went on and on about how it was the funniest thing she'd seen in a long time. I loved The 40 Year Old Virgin, and I see everything with Paul Rudd in it (isn't he in this?). Anyway, I just can't wait.
#20 of 66 Old 06-04-2007, 05:57 PM

Honestly I thought it was one of the funniest movies I have seen in a long time, since first American Pie : . It was better than the 40 year old virgin. I was worried they were showing all the good parts in the previews but really some of the funniest parts aren't even previewd out.
#21 of 66 Old 06-04-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starr View Post
Honestly I thought it was one of the funniest movies I have seen in a long time, since first American Pie : . It was better than the 40 year old virgin. I was worried they were showing all the good parts in the previews but really some of the funniest parts aren't even previewd out.
Ok, now I *really* have to see it!
#22 of 66 Old 06-04-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post
Ordinarily I would avoid a "dumb comedy" movie like this like the plague. But knowing that the director also created Freaks and Geeks has me considering it.
Me too. I can't resist the opportunity to see Martin Starr again. Though what role could be better for him than Bill Haverchuck (sp)?
#23 of 66 Old 06-04-2007, 06:43 PM

i can not wait to see this movie!
#24 of 66 Old 06-04-2007, 08:17 PM

I really want to see this movie!!! Fingers crossed for this weekend...

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#25 of 66 Old 06-06-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie76 View Post

Like a PP said, the sister's family had a family-bed set up, didn't vaccinate, etc.

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...???
#26 of 66 Old 06-06-2007, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mika85 View Post

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...???
here you go

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...splay.php?f=47
#27 of 66 Old 06-06-2007, 10:09 PM

We saw this movie last weekend and thought it was great! We're still quoting lines to each other.
#28 of 66 Old 06-06-2007, 11:00 PM

I want to see this and so do my kids...they are 15 and almost 14 and we have no problems usually with R rated movies..although I do prefer the kids don't see super-graphic violence, but I'm pretty sure this movie isn't about that...

what gives it the R rating, if anyone could tell me?

I think Katherine Heigl is gorgeous...I remember seeing her in a Disney movie a few years back...
#29 of 66 Old 06-06-2007, 11:19 PM

I was supposed to go on a date tonight with my DP to see this.... the babysitter got in a car accident on the way to my house. She's fine!
I'll have to raincheck my plans so we definitely get to see it.
#30 of 66 Old 06-06-2007, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susana View Post
what gives it the R rating, if anyone could tell me?

Sex, jokes about sex, lots of weed, and the f word about a million times.

It was cute and funny.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page