Harry Potter: time to put your money on the table... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 269 Old 06-21-2007, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Amanda, that's interesting. I noticed on a re-read that Dumbledore didn't make a sound like a loud crack! there on Privet Drive, but I just figured it was an inconsistency on JKR's part. But you're right, there's probably something to it. She doesn't have many trivial details.

I predict there's something about Dumbledore's Put-Outer thingy that put the street lights out. It has the most banal name, not JKR's usual creative, magical names. Mad-Eye Moody used it when they brought Harry to 12 Grimmauld Place. I read an essay that suggested it is part of the magical protection Dumbledore set up to protect Harry.

Though that doesn't explain why it isn't utilized at the Burrow when Harry stays there.

==================

Victorian- yes, indeed, that's from the opening credits of Holy Grail. I added Grail-related stuff to my previous posts on this thread, after Annette [cough]purposefully[cough] accidentally posted her predictions over my origional post.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#62 of 269 Old 06-21-2007, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseMomme View Post
Boy those really ring familiar in regards to Tarot cards.
It is believed that, that is where the suits for tarot cards first came from.

Waite replaced coins with pentacles.

But, I don't actually follow that path so I am not really familiar with it other than random history trivia.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#63 of 269 Old 06-21-2007, 05:11 PM

I've pondered the apparition sound issue, too. Another point related to that which I've noticed: the decibel level seems to vary greatly. When Mundungus Dissaparates at the beginning of OOtP, the noise is so loud that all the neighbors run to their windows to see if a car backfired. That seems to indicate that it's a seriously loud noise. But, the twins apparate around 12 Grimmauld without making so much noise that it wakes the portrait of Mrs. Black, or garners their mother's attention. If the sound was a loud as a car backfiring, when the twins Apparate onto Ron and Harry's knees in the dark, the noise would have been downright painful. Is it possible that the intensity of the sound is proportional to the skill of the person performing the apparition?

As for the invisibility thing, I find that entirely possible. Even Fred and George are skilled enough to charm a hat to make the wearer's head invisible. Surely Dumbledore is skilled enough to strengthen and apply such a charm to his entire body.

I doubt Lockhart memory charmed Neville. Why would he have had cause to be in contact with Neville so long ago? I could fully believe that he was memory charmed, but a long time ago - long enough that his entire growing up years were affected by it.

Ok, I have questions about Apparition. We know that you can't Apparate or Disapparate inside Hogworts. But, Voldemort is able to Apparate inside the MoM. And the members of the Order had to place an Anti-Apparition charm on the captured DEs who were being held within the DoM. Why wouldn't the MoM be protected with an Anti-Apparition field just like Hogwarts? At the very least, you'd think the DoM would be thus protected. If a member of the Order is able to place a temporary Anti-Apparition charm, and Dumbledore is able to manipulate the field in Hogwarts to allow for Apparition practice, surely the skills to build and manipulate Anti-Apparition charms are well known. It seems like there's a heck of a lot of sensitive stuff happening there, just to allow people to Apparate in at will. Heck, Voldemort could have Apparated straight into the DoM and stolen the prophecy, without risking a round dozen of his best Death Eaters. How about St. Mungo's? Molly talks about traveling there. Why wouldn't she just Apparate there if she was traveling alone? Is it protected against Apparition? You'd think it would be, to prevent protected patients or those who've had their brains addled from Apparating out of their wards. If it is... again, why would they protect the hospital, but not the MoM, or at least the DoM? Side-Along Apparition: why wasn't this used more? Arthur could have used it to transport Harry to the MoM for his trial (or used Floo powder for that matter). The members of the Order could have Apparated Harry to the park outside 12 Grimmauld rather than that arduous broom ride (if they couldn't Apparate his stuff, they could have had someone else take it by broom.)
#64 of 269 Old 06-21-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboroson View Post
Is it possible that the intensity of the sound is proportional to the skill of the person performing the apparition?

AWe know that you can't Apparate or Disapparate inside Hogworts. But, Voldemort is able to Apparate inside the MoM.
maybe its the size of the person? DD and the Twins are all slim and Mud is not.

I think that Hogworts is protected because the headmasters were paranoid about secrets being leaked to other schools...same reason they give that it is impossible to find.

:
#65 of 269 Old 06-21-2007, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Huh. Of those 13 Hallows of Britain, one is a chess set that plays itself. Kind of like Ron's set that he inherited from his grandfather. And that invisibility Mantle of Arthur. Pretty cool.

There was a wand showcased in the window of Ollivanders that some speculate might be Rowena Ravenclaw's. Ollivander's is closed now, so maybe Dumbledore put him in the Protection Progam or Voldemort has the wand now. Maybe he made it into a horcrux with Emmaline *****'s death (or Mrs Bones-whose-first-name-I-can't-remember-now).

#66 of 269 Old 06-21-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post
Huh. Of those 13 Hallows of Britain, one is a chess set that plays itself. Kind of like Ron's set that he inherited from his grandfather. And that invisibility Mantle of Arthur. Pretty cool.

There was a wand showcased in the window of Ollivanders that some speculate might be Rowena Ravenclaw's. Ollivander's is closed now, so maybe Dumbledore put him in the Protection Progam or Voldemort has the wand now. Maybe he made it into a horcrux with Emmaline *****'s death (or Mrs Bones-whose-first-name-I-can't-remember-now).
But all wizard chess sets play themselves. That's what makes wizard chess different from Muggle chess. I think we saw the magic chess set in Book One, as one of the protections of the Sorcerer's Stone.

The wand could be a horcrux. (Whatever the horcruxes are, we've seen them already.)

(P.S. Madame Bones' first name is Amelia.)

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#67 of 269 Old 06-21-2007, 11:58 PM

Quote:

I doubt Lockhart memory charmed Neville. Why would he have had cause to be in contact with Neville so long ago? I could fully believe that he was memory charmed, but a long time ago - long enough that his entire growing up years were affected by it.
I was half-joking. I just always thought it would be funny if we found out that a young Lockhart was trying to make his name working for the department that does memory charms. They sent him out to help the young kid sleep at night after his parents were murdered, and he messed it up, creating the spacey Neville we all know and love.

Of course, he's supposed to be good at memory charms, so I guess that blows that theory out of the water. Well, whoever did the charm messed it up bad, that's for sure!

I like the theory that apparation noise depends on the skill of the wizard. Makes sense.
#68 of 269 Old 06-22-2007, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Side-Along Apparition: why wasn't this used more? Arthur could have used it to transport Harry to the MoM for his trial (or used Floo powder for that matter). The members of the Order could have Apparated Harry to the park outside 12 Grimmauld rather than that arduous broom ride (if they couldn't Apparate his stuff, they could have had someone else take it by broom.)
I've wondered this too. Maybe it's very difficult to do and Dumbledore is one of the only wizards who knows how to do it?

I really wonder if all these questions will be answered in the 7th book or if we all just read too far into everything

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

#69 of 269 Old 06-22-2007, 01:01 AM

:
#70 of 269 Old 06-22-2007, 05:19 AM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathirynne View Post
(And if JKR kills off Harry, I'll have to redo my thesis! : )

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#71 of 269 Old 06-22-2007, 11:24 AM

Quote:
...Side-Along Apparition: why wasn't this used more? Arthur could have used it to transport Harry to the MoM for his trial (or used Floo powder for that matter)....
Arthur tells Harry that he (Arthur) usually apparates to work, but that he thinks it better that the two of them arrive at Harry's hearing "in a thoroughly non-magical way. Especially given what [Harry's] being diciplined for."

Arthur also tells Harry that some wizards don't bother with apparition. "They prefer brooms. Slower, but safer."

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#72 of 269 Old 06-22-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous4_20 View Post
I was half-joking. I just always thought it would be funny if we found out that a young Lockhart was trying to make his name working for the department that does memory charms. They sent him out to help the young kid sleep at night after his parents were murdered, and he messed it up, creating the spacey Neville we all know and love.
I thought Neville's parents were at the Wizard hospital, where they would stay for the rest of their days as they had been tortured into insanity.

Cute theory though Both Harry and Neville were babies at the time everything went down so I really don't think anything was done as far as memory alteration or really needed to be...though Harry remembers snatches of his mother's death, especially when he encountered a dementor.
#73 of 269 Old 06-22-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseMomme View Post
I thought Neville's parents were at the Wizard hospital, where they would stay for the rest of their days as they had been tortured into insanity.
Of course. I keep thinking they were murdered because they were, in a way. You know? Murdering them would have been kinder.
#74 of 269 Old 06-22-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous4_20 View Post
Of course. I keep thinking they were murdered because they were, in a way. You know? Murdering them would have been kinder.
#75 of 269 Old 06-22-2007, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
But all wizard chess sets play themselves. That's what makes wizard chess different from Muggle chess. I think we saw the magic chess set in Book One, as one of the protections of the Sorcerer's Stone.

The wand could be a horcrux. (Whatever the horcruxes are, we've seen them already.)

(P.S. Madame Bones' first name is Amelia.)
That's right, there's the big chess set, too.

Amelia Bones, that's her.

Quote:
As for the invisibility thing, I find that entirely possible. Even Fred and George are skilled enough to charm a hat to make the wearer's head invisible. Surely Dumbledore is skilled enough to strengthen and apply such a charm to his entire body.
Remember the OWLS transfiguration examiner said Dumbledore did amazing things with a wand, that she'd never seen before, or words to that effect.

#76 of 269 Old 06-22-2007, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm in the middle of re-reading the series, and I don't want to put down my predictions for everything just yet.

Snape: He's going to die, and we're still not going to be sure who's side he's on.

LV wanted to make 6 Horcruxes, with himself being "soul piece # 7." But he only made 5 of them, since he was planning to make another right after killing Harry. The Ring and the Diary have been destroyed, the Locket will be destroyed early in the next book, and then there will be something of Hufflepuff's (cup maybe?) and something of Ravenclaw's.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#77 of 269 Old 06-22-2007, 02:08 PM

Harry: Will he live or die? i really think he is going to die:

Ron: Will he live or die? live

Hermione: Will she live or die? die

Lord Voldemort: Will he live or die? die

Snape: Is he good or bad? Will he live or die? he is good, live

Dumbledore: Why did he trust Snape? we will find out but i think it has something to do w/harry or the potters

Hogwarts: Will it be open or closed? open this was stated in the last book! harry and gang won't be there

Horcruxes: What objects do you think are horcruxes? snake, cup, locket, diary, ring, something of dumbledores

Deaths: Who else do you think will die? fleur and bill at the wedding, dobby, and maybe aunt pentuia

Please add any other predictions. The more, the merrier!
i think i am going to be very sad after this book! i do think old dumby is going to be back! :
#78 of 269 Old 06-22-2007, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Snape: He's going to die, and we're still not going to be sure who's side he's on.
I hated this possibility the first time it occurred to me! Now I love it! I can totally imagine that at the end of Deathly Hallows Snape will have 'helped' Harry to defeat Voldemort, but it won't be clear whether he did it purposefully or accidentally. Even his fate will be ambiguous. Is he alive or dead??? The End.

A gift to JKR's legions of fan fiction writers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraNicole View Post
Hogwarts: Will it be open or closed? open this was stated in the last book! harry and gang won't be there

Deaths: Who else do you think will die? fleur and bill at the wedding, dobby, and maybe aunt pentuia
I love your color scheme! I feel so...happy just looking at it! At the end of HBP McGonagall said they'd leave it up to the Governors whether or not Hogwarts should remain open. The majority of those at the meeting said it should remain open. It wasn't conclusive, though. Harry said he'd be horcrux hunting, but I just think he's going to finish his education there. He still needs to take his NEWTS!

Fleur and Bill??! That's horrible! Their wedding will be a moment of happiness and humor. And they'll find out something important about a horcrux there. There's Molly's Aunt Muriel's goblin-made tiara, for one thing.

#79 of 269 Old 06-22-2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post
I love your color scheme! I feel so...happy just looking at it!

why thank you, that just made my day!
#80 of 269 Old 06-22-2007, 03:45 PM

Harry: Will he live or die?
Live, but I'm not even close to 100% about this.

Ron: Will he live or die?
Die. I think someone major will die and Ron seems like the most logical choice.

Hermione: Will she live or die?
Live. And (eventually) become headmistress.

Lord Voldemort: Will he live or die?
Die, at Harry's hand.

Snape: Is he good or bad? Will he live or die?
"Good", meaning "more or less for himself but leaning toward the light and very loyal to Dumbledore". I see him dieing.

Dumbledore: Why did he trust Snape?
Because that's what Dumbledore does.

Hogwarts: Will it be open or closed?
Open and stay open.

Horcruxes: What objects do you think are horcruxes?
Locket, cup, nagini, (Riddle's Diary), (ring), and beyond that I'm really not sure. I could honestly see Harry, but I highly doubt it. Whatever he was going to use originally as his last horcrux was likely left in the rubble of Godric's Hollow--perhaps it's still there and will give us a clue.

Deaths: Who else do you think will die?
One of the Weasley parents and one of the children (if I'm right about Ron, then probably not another one). Hagrid. Slughorn. Moody. Lupin. Tonks. Neville. Wormtail. LeStrange. My own dignity when I take off from work to read a children's book.

Ron and Hermione will finally "seal the deal" at the wedding.

Fawkes will help Harry in some way, possibly bringing him the sword again.

Harry will find some way to become an order of magnitude more powerful than he currently is. I don't know how this will happen, but it must if he's to accomplish the monumental task set before him. I think he will find something at Godric's Hollow, at the wreckage of his old house, that will help him. Basically a Libram of Gainful Conjuration. He needs to master non-verbal casting and legilimency in order to have any hope.

I don't think that Aunt Petunia has any magical ability, but I do think that she will do something important.

There will be a "last message from Dumbledore to Harry." I don't know what form this will take, but it could easily be his picture in the Headmaster's office talking to Harry (not sure why he'd be there, mind you). This could help with the previous point about Harry becoming more powerful.
#81 of 269 Old 06-22-2007, 04:50 PM

Okay, so I'm sitting here thinking (obsessing : ) about what the horcruxes are, and the thought occurred to me that Harry cannot be one.

Here's why:

To make a horcrux, one must commit a murder. Voldemort was trying to murder Harry, therefore, he wasn't trying to make a horcrux of him. (A corpse wouldn't be a very good horcrux, iykwim.)

#82 of 269 Old 06-22-2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:
To make a horcrux, one must commit a murder. Voldemort was trying to murder Harry, therefore, he wasn't trying to make a horcrux of him. (A corpse wouldn't be a very good horcrux, iykwim.)
Totally, but we are in a totally unknown realm. Voldemort was clearly intending to do the horcrux magic next (or simultaneous--I'm unclear on exactly how that works). And no-one has ever survived that spell before, so we can't for sure say "these are the rules" you know?
#83 of 269 Old 06-22-2007, 05:25 PM

Harry: Will he live or die? Live

Ron: Will he live or die? Live

Hermione: Will she live or die?
Live
[B]
Lord Voldemort: Will he live or die?
DIE DIE DIE!

Snape: Is he good or bad? Will he live or die?
he is really good. but will die in helping HP vanquish LV

Dumbledore: Why did he trust Snape? cause DD rocks and can see all.

Hogwarts: Will it be open or closed?
open but they wont be there

Horcruxes: What objects do you think are horcruxes?
must post more about this later. too many theories

Deaths: Who else do you think will die?
Hagrid, maybe Molly. maybe another Weasley, and *sniff sniff* i think maybe McGonagal.

my prediction... reading this will send me into a fit of tears that triggers labor and the baby will HAVE to have the middle name Minerva or Hermione.

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
#84 of 269 Old 06-22-2007, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPentor View Post
Totally, but we are in a totally unknown realm. Voldemort was clearly intending to do the horcrux magic next (or simultaneous--I'm unclear on exactly how that works). And no-one has ever survived that spell before, so we can't for sure say "these are the rules" you know?
I disagree that it's a totally unknown realm. Book six describes how horcruxes are made.

And Harry survived the Avada Cadavra curse because his mother died to protect him.

#85 of 269 Old 06-22-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I disagree that it's a totally unknown realm. Book six describes how horcruxes are made.

And Harry survived the Avada Cadavra curse because his mother died to protect him.
That's true enough.
#86 of 269 Old 06-22-2007, 11:20 PM

Here's a theory from a coworker of mine--we talked about HP for about an hour today

Dumbledore died out of love for Harry, just as Harry's mother did, which is that special kind of magic DD has told Harry about so much. This in turn will kill Voldemort at the end when he tries to kill Harry, as so much love is in Harry.

I thought this was a very interesting theory and haven't really heard anyone else mention it anywhere. Thoughts?

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

#87 of 269 Old 06-23-2007, 01:45 PM

One thing I noticed: Dumbledore says the only artifact he knows of of Godric Gryffindor's is the sword. However the sorting hat, in one of its songs, says GG "whipped me off his head" so the sorting hat is GG's, too, just not the sword.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#88 of 269 Old 06-23-2007, 04:21 PM

Harry Will die killing LV.
Snape will die for the good.
Every one else will live, and Ron and Hermione will name their first son Harry.
#89 of 269 Old 06-23-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcmommy2003 View Post
Here's a theory from a coworker of mine--we talked about HP for about an hour today

Dumbledore died out of love for Harry, just as Harry's mother did, which is that special kind of magic DD has told Harry about so much. This in turn will kill Voldemort at the end when he tries to kill Harry, as so much love is in Harry.

I thought this was a very interesting theory and haven't really heard anyone else mention it anywhere. Thoughts?

that makes perfect sense!!! but um didn't dumbledore say something about that spell protecting him until he comes of age?? i might be thinking of the protection spell(for the durnsleys house)...

back to what i was thinking, if the above is true then harry got "new protection" that old voldy doesn't have and it's love
this could of been what snape and dumbledore were fighting about in the garden, he was telling snape he had to kill him! now my brain is all foggy and i can't rember where i was going w/this...darn you J.K. Rowling
#90 of 269 Old 06-23-2007, 07:17 PM

[QUOTE=journeymom;8413333]Harry: Will he live or die?
Live. I highly doubt Harry would die and Voldemort live. The prophecy prevents the two of them from both living, but not both from dying...

Ron: Will he live or die? Live

Hermione: Will she live or die? Live

Lord Voldemort: Will he live or die? DIE, Voldy, DIE... but I find the argument that he might in some fashion be redeemed as Tom Riddle intriguing. I still can't see that Harry will kill him and mean to do so, but I suppose that's what's being set up with Draco trying to kill Dumbledore and being unable versus Harry trying to kill Voldemort and having the courage to do so. Harry's just not a murderer. Maybe Voldy will pull a Darth Vader-Anakin Skywalker (but I know he is NOT related to Harry), be redeemed as his former not-purely-evil self, and then die as a result of his transformation?

My biggest question with Voldy is: Why does he want to live, or be immortal? He hasn't enjoyed his live for as long as Harry's been alive, it's not like he lives well, and I can't find anything in his life that he might want to live for.

Snape: Is he good or bad? Will he live or die? I think he's mostly good, and I think we'll learn that, but I don't think he'll live.

He reminds me of Brian Kinney in Queer as Folk somehow (maybe b/c I have weird friends who find both of them attractive) whereas I dislike both characters. On QAF, a character listed Brian on a medical directive as the person to decide whether to keep him on life support. In later explaining why he chose Brian, he said essentially "You're the only one who'd have the guts to pull the plug. And you'd do it even though everyone would hate you for it."

Dumbledore: Why did he trust Snape? Something to do with Lily. And possibly he was not completely right too. Snape might be "good," but he's not "great."

Hogwarts: Will it be open or closed? I wonder if it might be closed for general populace but Harry and OOtP members might use it as a base.

Horcruxes: What objects do you think are horcruxes? The locket they found at Grimmauld Place. I don't know what else. Has JKRowling actually debunked the Harry as Horcrux theory? I think it's possible, if she hasn't.

Deaths: Who else do you think will die? I think Draco's a goner. I couldn't guess who else though, honestly.

R.A.B I firmly believe is Regulus Black. I think he discovered the horcruxes (at least some of the death eaters seem to know about them, I think Malfoy does, for example), destroyed or tried to destroy at least the one, and was killed for something else. In other words, I don't think Voldemort knew Regulus was destroying the horcruxes, or he'd have remedied that locket already. In other languages, when the Black family name is translated into the word for "Black," the initials in the locket also change to match. So I'm pretty sure this is correct.

Dumbledore's goat-loving brother, Abeford, is the barkeep at the Hog's Head. He smells of goats, and Harry thinks he looks very familiar but can't figure out why.

I also really like the idea that Neville has been under Memory charms and is not naturally as bumbling as he seems. I would pin that on his overbearing, overprotective grandmother, personally. Is he less spacey just before he goes home on breaks and more so at the beginning of the school year? He's always bumbling on the train to Hogwarts. But that's without looking up anything in the books, so I could be wrong there.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page