Harry Potter: time to put your money on the table... - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 269 Old 06-28-2007, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraNicole View Post
yeah i just re-read HBP and i *think* he was performing occumency sp? i know your supposed to have eye contact but old snape was the best yk?

i think i also found a horocrux...
in OOTP when they are cleaning the find a locket (that won't open) and umm maybe old r.a.b. is sirius' brother reugulas black (i've read all the books over and over not one mention of his middle name: )

so here is another bet for me!

If you do have problems finding something in a book I like using

http://www.hp-lexicon.org/

It is basically an encyclopedia and quite handy!

Not all those who wander are lost 
#122 of 269 Old 06-28-2007, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cate View Post
I suspect she has intentionally avoided writing much about them for some reason. I'm thinking that maybe Harry is the heir of Griffindor, in the same way that Voldemort is the heir of Slythrin. I suspect that this is the story of how the Hogwarts split comes to be healed. I may be way off base though.
That doesn't seem so off-base to me. It makes a lot of sense. There are connections between Harry and Voldemort (both are orphans, one muggle parent each, etc.) that I could see another connection between them as heirs to two of the founders of Hogwarts.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#123 of 269 Old 06-29-2007, 08:18 AM

#124 of 269 Old 06-29-2007, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookGoddess View Post
That doesn't seem so off-base to me. It makes a lot of sense. There are connections between Harry and Voldemort (both are orphans, one muggle parent each, etc.) that I could see another connection between them as heirs to two of the founders of Hogwarts.
This just clicked for me. First, it totally makes sense. Second, that could be how Harry becomes like 10 times more powerful--he finds an artifact that has been passed down to the heirs of Griffindor.
#125 of 269 Old 07-02-2007, 03:20 PM

I just finished book 1, and noticed that Harry saw his extended family in the Mirror of Erised. Some of them had his eyes; some had his nose...so it sounded like he was seeing both the Potter side and the Evans side.

Don't know what that means...just something I noticed this time and not the 7 or 8 other times I've read the book!

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#126 of 269 Old 07-02-2007, 04:02 PM

The story might not even talk about Hogwarts. Harry, Ron, and Hermione arn't going back. They are going to go to Bill and Fleur's wedding, to visit Harry's babyhood town, and then are going to hunt down the last of the Horcrux's and Voldermort himself. The story does not really call for the death of Harry. It simply states that either Voldermort or Harry MUST die.

And interesting theory about Snape's character that I don't remember where it's from. He might have been the one that made the potion that helped destroy Voldermort, but who is the famous one? Harry.

"Horcruxes: What objects do you think are horcruxes? Well, there are 7, so:

* Maybe the Sorcerer's Stone (Stone of Destiny in Authurian legend), but it's admittedly a bit of a stretch. I don't think so. He didn't have one and he couldn't have used the one at Hogwarts because he had already made his Horcrux's.
* Riddle's diary Which is destroyed.
* Marvolo's ring " "
*Slytherin's locket (which RAB - Regulus Black - stole, but did not destroy. It was the "heavy gold locket that none of them could open" when they were cleaning up Number 12 Grimmald Place in OotP) Interesting theory there.
* Nagini Probably.
* I'm leaning toward Harry's Invisibility Cloak, because such a cloak is also one of the Hallows of Britain. I don't think so because Voldremort had no chance to make a Horcrux. He killed James and Lillie then went after Harry and was defeated.

If any of the above are not horcruxes, there are other possibilities:

~ The other "Hogwarts Four" artifacts.
Dumbledore was unable to locate any Ravenclaw artifacts and only one Gryfinndor artifact. I don't think that Voldermort could have done any better but you never know.

~ The Mirror of Erised (a real stretch)
Theres no evidence that Voldermort ever interacted with the mirror

~ The cauldren Voldemort used at his "rebirth". (A cauldron is another of the Hallows of Britian.)"

He didn't make any at his rebirth unless he killed one of his Death Eaters after Harry escaped.

There is nothing to confirm that Voldermort has made any more Horcruxes since he probably doesn't even know any of them are destroyed. It would truly suck if he made more cause he could undo all the work Harry has done so far.
#127 of 269 Old 07-03-2007, 07:04 PM

I'm just about finished rereading HBP, and I realized something. RAB (who I'm assuming is Serius' brother) would have had to have an accomplice to get the locket. It takes two people to get through all of the tasks to get to it... so who helped him?
#128 of 269 Old 07-03-2007, 07:21 PM

There've been theories that it was Kreacher who helped Regulus. That explains Kreacher's insanity.
#129 of 269 Old 07-03-2007, 07:26 PM

Harry: Will he live or die? Harry will live

Ron: Will he live or die? Ron will die

Hermione: Will she live or die? Hermione will live

Lord Voldemort: Will he live or die? Die

Snape: Is he good or bad? Will he live or die? He's bad. Hope he dies.

Dumbledore: Why did he trust Snape? Because he wanted to believe there is a little bit of good even in the most evil person.

Hogwarts: Will it be open or closed? It will reopen after V dies

Horcruxes: What objects do you think are horcruxes? Not sure.

Deaths: Who else do you think will die?
[/B]
Please add any other predictions. The more, the merrier!

I think RAB was Regulus Black.

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#130 of 269 Old 07-03-2007, 10:50 PM

Another question for you all:

What's the deal with Crookshanks?? I know JKR said he's not an animagus, but he's not just a normal cat. Have you guys ever noticed that the descriptions of Crookshanks and Mundungus Fletcher are very similar (ginger hair, bandy legs, etc.) Anyone have any opinions on this point?

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

#131 of 269 Old 07-04-2007, 12:32 AM

Quote:
I'm just about finished rereading HBP, and I realized something. RAB (who I'm assuming is Serius' brother) would have had to have an accomplice to get the locket. It takes two people to get through all of the tasks to get to it... so who helped him?
Does DD tell Harry he probably wouldn't measure in "magic" being underaged to get in the boat? Then isn't there something about a house elf not registering either? Am I making it up?

The above fits nicely with the thought below...hmm...I just reread HBP a couple of months ago, maybe I should rerereread it.

Quote:
There've been theories that it was Kreacher who helped Regulus. That explains Kreacher's insanity.
#132 of 269 Old 07-04-2007, 12:43 AM

I think this has been touched on in The Mythical Beasts book. That Crookshanks is a cross breed between a cat and... well... a mythical beast that's in one of those supplementary books.

Ah yes... A kneazle.
http://www.mugglenet.com/infosection...eatures4.shtml
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugglenet.com
Kneazle XXX

This is a cat-like creature, although it has unusually large ears and a lion's tail. It is intelligent and can be aggressive, although if it is attracted to a witch or wizard it can be domesticated and kept as a pet. They are highly attuned to deception and can detect suspicious characters with some ease [FB]. Kneazles are known to interbreed with Muggle cats, and Hermione Granger's pet Crookshanks is such a crossbreed [JKR Website].

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#133 of 269 Old 07-04-2007, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandar View Post
Does DD tell Harry he probably wouldn't measure in "magic" being underaged to get in the boat? Then isn't there something about a house elf not registering either? Am I making it up?

The above fits nicely with the thought below...hmm...I just reread HBP a couple of months ago, maybe I should rerereread it.
That makes a whole lot of sense... hmmm... I'm thinking I should go and dig through OTP to look up the scene where Hermiony gives Kreacher his Christmas present... see what other things he had squirreled away...
#134 of 269 Old 07-04-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pynki View Post
I think this has been touched on in The Mythical Beasts book. That Crookshanks is a cross breed between a cat and... well... a mythical beast that's in one of those supplementary books.

Ah yes... A kneazle.
http://www.mugglenet.com/infosection...eatures4.shtml
Thank you! Looks like I should read that Mythical Beasts book

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

#135 of 269 Old 07-04-2007, 03:06 PM

Harry Potter: time to put your money on the table...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harry: Will he live or die? live

Ron: Will he live or die? live

Hermione: Will she live or die? live

Lord Voldemort: Will he live or die? die

Snape: Is he good or bad? Will he live or die? snape is good, him and dumbledore planned the whole thing out to get snape to spy again for the other side

Dumbledore: Why did he trust Snape? if dumbledore trusted him, then he's good imo

Hogwarts: Will it be open or closed? closed

Horcruxes: What objects do you think are horcruxes? i dunno

Deaths: Who else do you think will die? neville

Sahm mom to three lovely girls, and happily married to a great, sweet guy
#136 of 269 Old 07-05-2007, 05:03 AM

If Crookshanks is a kneazle, why isn't this mentioned in the books? I think that's a little unfair of Rowlings to put this information someplace else...
#137 of 269 Old 07-05-2007, 12:01 PM

I think Sirius mentions that Crookshanks isn't an ordinary cat to Hermione doesn't he?

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#138 of 269 Old 07-05-2007, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
She gives tons of info out from her interviews. Usually she responds to rumors or gives out hints. I don't think that Crookshanks being part Kneazle is a huge part of the plot.

I think Ms. Figg's cats are also part Kneazle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBoo View Post
If Crookshanks is a kneazle, why isn't this mentioned in the books? I think that's a little unfair of Rowlings to put this information someplace else...

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#139 of 269 Old 07-05-2007, 02:16 PM

Harry: Will he live or die? LIVE (as tempting as the idea of death must be to JKR to stop talk of a sequel, it is still a children's series and I can not imagine him dying)

Ron: Will he live or die? DIE (sorry, but he's kind of pointless anyway)

Hermione: Will she live or die? LIVE (She's way too talented a witch)

Lord Voldemort: Will he live or die? DIE (duh!)

Snape: Is he good or bad? Will he live or die? GOOD (as much as I want him to be bad) and I guess he'll LIVE (booo!)

Dumbledore: Why did he trust Snape? LOVE it's his greatest strength and his greatest weakness

Hogwarts: Will it be open or closed? OPEN, but the main characters won't be there, but Hagrid will be head of Gryffindor

Horcruxes: What objects do you think are horcruxes? LOCKET, CUP, SOMETHING AT POTTER'S PARENTS HOUSE, THEN SOMETHING OF RAVENCLAWS AND GRYFFINDORS. PERHAPS SOMETHING IN THE SCHOOL

Deaths: Who else do you think will die? RON AND VOLDEMORT AND SNAPE

Regulus Black has already found some of the Horcruxes and destroyed them, so Harry will hunt for them, find most of them destroyed, then face V and kill him.
I am so sorry. I think these were the original questions.[/QUOTE]
#140 of 269 Old 07-05-2007, 02:33 PM

So where do people think the horcruxes are hidden?
I'm thinking that there must be one at the Riddle house, possible one at Godrick's Hollow... Not sure where else... possibly Hogwarts? Any other ideas?
#141 of 269 Old 07-05-2007, 03:10 PM

I havent posted in this thread but I was at one time I was really active in the old HP threads. Anyhow Im looking for a couple snarky avatars. My computer crashed and I lost all of my bookmarks. Im looking for an avatar that has Snape standing there looking totally unimpressed clapping, another was draco it says 'Come to the dark side we have cookies' and the last one Im looking for is the dark mark in green 'stars' that says something like come to the dark side we are sparkley. Do those ring a bell to anyone? I found them all on a small site, there were some other hilarious ones that had me rolling. Id love to find that site again!
#142 of 269 Old 07-05-2007, 05:02 PM

Harry: Will he live or die?
Live, although for literary effect, I really wish he would die. It would so totally go along with Campbell's hero myth theme, of the hero who has to sacrifice himself so that his people can live.

Ron: Will he live or die?
Live.

Hermione: Will she live or die?
Live.

Lord Voldemort: Will he live or die?
Die. They're building a multimillion-dollar HP area in a theme park in Orlando. They're not going to do that if the evil guy wins.

Snape: Is he good or bad? Will he live or die?
He is neither good nor bad. Almost no one in JKR's universe is completely either, which is one reason so many people want to censor the books: They can't handle the ambiguity of real life. He is not a nice man, but I think he was loyal to Dumbledore. Prediction-wise, I think he will sacrifice himself for Harry in the end, so that Harry can defeat Voldie. This will make up for him not being able to save the Potters in Godric's Hollow.

Dumbledore: Why did he trust Snape?
I think he knew that Snape felt genuine remorse over joining the Death Eaters. He was able to reach out to Snape and mentor him in a way that he was not able to do to Tom Riddle.

Hogwarts: Will it be open or closed?
Closed, although I am sure that some of the book, probably the climactic battle scene, will take place there. It, after all, is home to Harry.

Horcruxes: What objects do you think are horcruxes?
Lessee, we already know a few of them: Diary, locket, and Voldie himself. Also, I think that one item from each of the founders will be a horcrux, so add in Hufflepuff's cup. I think Nagini is a horcrux.

Deaths: Who else do you think will die?
At least a couple Weasleys have to die, statistically speaking. I'm guessing one of the older boys, though now that Bill is in this weird, semi-werewolf state I'd hate to see him go. Percy will come around at the end and die to save one of his family members. For dramatic effect, it would be heartbreaking but interesting to have only one of the twins croak. Some members of the Order will die: perhaps Mundungus, Kingsley Shacklebolt, or one of the lesser known folks. At least some of the students will die; I'm thinking of the DA members: maybe Seamus, Dean, or Cho.

I read once that JKR said the series will end with a wedding. Since I don't think all of the action can take place in the month or so before Bill and Fleur's nuptials, it's got to be someone else. Perhaps Remus and Tonks. I don't think it will be anyone from the Golden Trio, just because it would be too weird to see these 17-year-olds getting hitched. The uproar would be too great.

I think Neville will kill Bellatrix.

We haven't seen the end of Umbridge.

Draco will be redeemed, but his father will die.
#143 of 269 Old 07-05-2007, 06:10 PM

Harry: lives

Ron: lives and marries Hermione

Hermione: lives and marries Ron. (He's not really worthy of her intellect, imo, but this has been coming for years.)

Lord Voldemort: dies

Snape: He will die, and I agree with pps who say he is neither good nor bad—just self serving. Either way, he will resent Harry to the bitter end, unless that prediction about Harry losing his wizarding powers in order to defeat Voldy comes true. In that case, Snape will just smirk (yet again) in self-righteousness. But I don't think he'll make it. He has no future as a character.

Dumbledore: I don't think we have the details in order to understand why he trusted Snape...

Hogwarts: Both. Book 7 will end with Ron & Hermione's wedding on the grounds of Hogwarts, reopened

Horcruxes: unsure...

Deaths: Arthur Weasley, Percy Weasley, Remus Lupin, Tonks.

More predictions: Petunia is a squib. Hence her jealousy of Lily. Something happens early on in Book Seven (Death Eater's come calling at 4 Privet Drive? or maybe the DE's go after Mrs. Figg, knowing that someone with rescuitis will come to Figg's defense). Harry valiantly tries to step in, but he has not finished his training and becomes incapacitated and loses his wand. Petunia uses Harry's wand to rescue him.

The giants play an important role in the final battle of good vs. evil.

DD is definitely dead. But he continues to play a significant role via his portraits.

Hermione is the new transfiguration professor. MacGonagol (sp?) is headmistress. Harry and Ron start their auror (sp? sorry— I'm doing these all on audiobook so the spellings lose me...)

Luna and Neville
#144 of 269 Old 07-06-2007, 04:11 PM

I just read this WHOLE thread while I am supposed to be working and now I need to add my predictions!

The trio: all live!
Voldie: dies!
Snape: wow. I am just amazed at how many people think he is good. I think he is working for Snape, and Snape alone. Which will be his demise, which is good, since I don't much like him!
I have NO idea why DD trusted Snape. No clue. I hope this is answered.
The Horcruxes: y'all have already outlined what they are.
Hogwarts will stay open, I think.
I don't know who else is going to die, but I SO want to give a lecture right now. What is this nonsense about statistically speaking, at least one of the Weasleys will die because there are so many of them? : How would you like it if someone said that about YOUR family?? Grr. (I have a MAJOR soft spot for the Weasleys) And Ron, now WORTHY of Hermione?? WTH? They totally balance each other. In case you hadn't noticed, she is WAY too celebral. He brings her out of her head, she teaches him. They are balanced. And Hagrid better not die. I will be thinking seriously mean thoughts towards JKR if that happens.

My other predictions:
-Ron and Hermione marry and have lots of red haired kiddos
-Ginny and Harry marry and have lots of red haired kiddos
-Luna and Neville hook up
-Grawp starts teaching Care of Magical Creatures, following his apprenticeship with Hagrid

I love the ideas the Petunia is a squib and will play a role in the next book. I had never heard the theory of Draco and Dudley being switched at birth, but I kind of like it. I mean, what would Dudders look like without his girth? But don't they say that Draco looks just like Narcissa? And the RAB....I'm so excited that I had that idea, too!!

Oh, and that site someone posted about the kneazles....is that supposed to be Tonks? Because I SOOO didn't picture her looking like that.
-We won't get to know if Snape is good or evil (which is going to piss me off)
#145 of 269 Old 07-06-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xochimama View Post
Harry: lives

Ron: lives and marries Hermione

Hermione: lives and marries Ron. (He's not really worthy of her intellect, imo, but this has been coming for years.)

Lord Voldemort: dies

Snape: He will die, and I agree with pps who say he is neither good nor bad—just self serving. Either way, he will resent Harry to the bitter end, unless that prediction about Harry losing his wizarding powers in order to defeat Voldy comes true. In that case, Snape will just smirk (yet again) in self-righteousness. But I don't think he'll make it. He has no future as a character.

Dumbledore: I don't think we have the details in order to understand why he trusted Snape...

Hogwarts: Both. Book 7 will end with Ron & Hermione's wedding on the grounds of Hogwarts, reopened

Horcruxes: unsure...

Deaths: Arthur Weasley, Percy Weasley, Remus Lupin, Tonks.

More predictions: Petunia is a squib. Hence her jealousy of Lily. Something happens early on in Book Seven (Death Eater's come calling at 4 Privet Drive? or maybe the DE's go after Mrs. Figg, knowing that someone with rescuitis will come to Figg's defense). Harry valiantly tries to step in, but he has not finished his training and becomes incapacitated and loses his wand. Petunia uses Harry's wand to rescue him.

The giants play an important role in the final battle of good vs. evil.

DD is definitely dead. But he continues to play a significant role via his portraits.

Hermione is the new transfiguration professor. MacGonagol (sp?) is headmistress. Harry and Ron start their auror (sp? sorry— I'm doing these all on audiobook so the spellings lose me...)

Luna and Neville
See? We're thinking along the ssame lines, here! But I hope NONE of the Weasleys die. Seriously. Whenever I read about the Weasley family, I want a bunch of kids. Then I remember how much a handful my toddler is and how small my house is (but if I had magic, I would just add some more space....like a wizard tent!)
#146 of 269 Old 07-07-2007, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersmamma View Post
Oh, and that site someone posted about the kneazles....is that supposed to be Tonks? Because I SOOO didn't picture her looking like that.
I know! When I saw her picture I was thinking WTF, that doesn't look anything like JKR described her in the books. I may have to go back and read book 5 to see the discriptions (after I see the movie of course, the movies are never as good right after reading the book )
#147 of 269 Old 07-07-2007, 01:57 AM

I think I remember reading that JKR said Pertunia was not a squib.
#148 of 269 Old 07-07-2007, 02:16 AM

Haven't read the whole thread, but my predictions- go ahead, laugh.

Hermione- becomes an unwed mother to Ron's kid. Yes, even smart girls get pregnant.

Ron- claims "I am not the one" and comes out with an 80s style music video. Hermione then of course, files for magical support and gets 75%. (I did mention she was smarter, right?)

Harry: lives but becomes infatuated late in life with blimp shaped women and opens a chain of floating cake stores- where he meets said blimp shaped women

Of course, this is all after he kills Voldemort and saves the day.

Snape: eventually confesses that the whole back and forth evil/good thing was just to get the attention of Hermione- whom he follows around the world professing to be the "baby daddy" but then he has to go to that magical prison for magical stalking.

Hogwarts: reopens with a wing for magical students with children (Hermione donates some funds for that). Symbol to be announced. Seahorse maybe?

I think the chick in the tub knows much more about the horcruxes (and their locations) than we ever thought.. (moaning myrtle)

Dumbledore is the posthumus godfather to Hermione's baby. He visits said baby through the candy cards. (Chocolate frogs)
#149 of 269 Old 07-07-2007, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
There are more though and they are really interesting

There are the The 13 Hallows of Britain, which, it seems like she might have gotten a few ideas from them.

http://www.answers.com/topic/thirtee...res-of-britain

And Four Hallows of Ireland

http://www.answers.com/topic/four-treasures
Sorry, I am just cracking up over the idea of a magical hamper! :
#150 of 269 Old 07-07-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.14_Opal View Post
I know! When I saw her picture I was thinking WTF, that doesn't look anything like JKR described her in the books. I may have to go back and read book 5 to see the discriptions (after I see the movie of course, the movies are never as good right after reading the book )
There are pictures of her in the books, and she has SHORT, SPIKY hair. Not long hair. : I picture her like a cute, kinda innocent looking punk rocker, ya know? Not some pink haired model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanteach View Post
Haven't read the whole thread, but my predictions- go ahead, laugh.

Hermione- becomes an unwed mother to Ron's kid. Yes, even smart girls get pregnant.

Ron- claims "I am not the one" and comes out with an 80s style music video. Hermione then of course, files for magical support and gets 75%. (I did mention she was smarter, right?)

Harry: lives but becomes infatuated late in life with blimp shaped women and opens a chain of floating cake stores- where he meets said blimp shaped women

Of course, this is all after he kills Voldemort and saves the day.

Snape: eventually confesses that the whole back and forth evil/good thing was just to get the attention of Hermione- whom he follows around the world professing to be the "baby daddy" but then he has to go to that magical prison for magical stalking.

Hogwarts: reopens with a wing for magical students with children (Hermione donates some funds for that). Symbol to be announced. Seahorse maybe?

I think the chick in the tub knows much more about the horcruxes (and their locations) than we ever thought.. (moaning myrtle)

Dumbledore is the posthumus godfather to Hermione's baby. He visits said baby through the candy cards. (Chocolate frogs)

But seahorse MALES get pg, not the females. Although seahorses ARE cute. Remember, Hermione's patronus was a sea otter, so maybe that's the symbol. Since she donates the money and all that.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page