Harry Potter: time to put your money on the table... - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 269 Old 07-13-2007, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Harry: Will he live or die?
Die. But I think there will be a happy twist to his death. He will be reunited with his parents, godfather, and probably other relatives, such as paternal grandparents. In Book 1, Dumbledore says something to the effect that, to the well-organized mind, death is the next adventure.

Ron: Will he live or die?
Live.

Hermione: Will she live or die?
Live.

Lord Voldemort: Will he live or die?
Die.

Snape: Is he good or bad? Will he live or die?
Good. Die.

Dumbledore: Why did he trust Snape?
Snape turned against the Deatheaters and joined the OoP 12 years ago. I think he has been loyal to Dumbledore ever since. His killing of Dumbledore was necessary to bring down Voldemort.

Hogwarts: Will it be open or closed?
Open. Minerva will be headmistress.

Horcruxes: What objects do you think are horcruxes?
I don't think we've seen them all. I think several will be revealed for the first time in Book 7.

Deaths: Who else do you think will die?
Percy and Mr. Wesley.

Please add any other predictions. The more, the merrier!

Mother love will continue to be an important theme. Percy will realize the error of his ways when one of his parents dies to save him. He will then die to save the other parent. Narcissa will die to save Malfoy, maybe killed by Voldemort, causing Malfoy to turn against the Deatheaters.

The various magical creatures (goblins, giants, house elves, centuars, etc.) will at first be divided but will eventually unite to fight against the deatheaters. Hermonione and Victor Crum will be the ones to lead the non-human rebellion forces.

I would like to see the Longbottoms become sane again. I am not sure what could do this. Some of the old magic I suppose.

Neville will become an important and strong wizard. Perhaps an auror. Hermonione will either end up as an auror, head of some magical cooperation office, or perhaps the Transfiguration professor at Hogwarts.

I don't think JKR will write any weddings in for the younger crowd - Lupin and Tonks I could see though. If I had to pair up the students, it would be Neville & Ginny, Hermoine & Victor, Ron & Luna. Fred and George will be single for a long time. They may end up franchising their joke shops though.

Nearly Headless Nick will be completely decapitated and at last get to join the headless hunt.

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 of 269 Old 07-13-2007, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
I agree, it's just...we don't know HOW the horcruxes are created. Are words necessary? Intent?

If people created horcruxes from every evil act, the DE would have horcruxes all over the place.
This brings up something else I'm pondering. Does the DE even know about the horcruxes? LV isn't interested in sharing power and I don't think he would really want to share that secret. Obviously Lucious Malfoy didn't know the diary was a horcrux or he wouldn't have given it to ginny (and dumbledore says as much at the end of COS) Lucious was pretty high up before LV's fall, so if he didn't know, its a good chance he didn't intentionally let any of them know.

That reminds me that Harry doesn't know how to destroy a horcrux either - Dumbledore only told him that the ring was no longer a horcrux and his hand was burned, but he didn't say how he destroyed it. All he has to go on is that he destroyed the diary with a basilisk fang.

Hopefully Harry will find that R.A.B. has done some of his work for him and not all the horcruxes are in existence anymore already.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#243 of 269 Old 07-13-2007, 08:55 PM

ooh, I have a grand thought.

I think the new book will OPEN with the characters living a few years ahead of where they were when book 6 ended. I don't otherwise see how JKR could possibly include everything that she needs to finish up.

Is book 7 going to be the biggest one yet?
#244 of 269 Old 07-13-2007, 09:04 PM

No, at 748 pages it's not the longest book by far
#245 of 269 Old 07-13-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymoo View Post
This brings up something else I'm pondering. Does the DE even know about the horcruxes? LV isn't interested in sharing power and I don't think he would really want to share that secret. Obviously Lucious Malfoy didn't know the diary was a horcrux or he wouldn't have given it to ginny (and dumbledore says as much at the end of COS) Lucious was pretty high up before LV's fall, so if he didn't know, its a good chance he didn't intentionally let any of them know.

That reminds me that Harry doesn't know how to destroy a horcrux either - Dumbledore only told him that the ring was no longer a horcrux and his hand was burned, but he didn't say how he destroyed it. All he has to go on is that he destroyed the diary with a basilisk fang.

Hopefully Harry will find that R.A.B. has done some of his work for him and not all the horcruxes are in existence anymore already.
I just read GoF and so Voldemort has the DEs all standing in a circle and he is chewing them out..

On page 648 of GoF (paperback version) He says..

"And then I ask myself, but how could they have believed I would not rise again? They, who knew the steps I took, long ago, to guard myself against mortal death? They, who had seen proofs of the immensity of my power in the times when I was mightier than any wizard living?"

But if they knew...wouldn't Snape had told Dumbledore that? Dumbledore wasn't SURE Voldemort had created a Horcrux until Harry got Slughorn's memory.

So either Voldemort didn't actually tell the DEs what he was doing and made something up...or Snape knew and didn't tell Dumbledore..or Dumbledore didn't believe Snape or thought Voldemort lied so was double-checking the info.

Very concerning.

I don't know. Lucius didn't know the diary was a Horcrux..so it is possible Voldemort didn't actually tell them about those. But if RAB knew and was at the bottom of the totem pole/but not Lucius who was near the top then who else knew?

Not all those who wander are lost 
#246 of 269 Old 07-13-2007, 10:06 PM

Quote:
"And then I ask myself, but how could they have believed I would not rise again? They, who knew the steps I took, long ago, to guard myself against mortal death? They, who had seen proofs of the immensity of my power in the times when I was mightier than any wizard living?"

Uh oh...they knew.

But if they knew...wouldn't Snape had told Dumbledore that? Dumbledore wasn't SURE Voldemort had created a Horcrux until Harry got Slughorn's memory.
That is interesting. It's possible though that paragraph doesn't mean they know about the horcruxes but rather about something else he did or that he was working on something secret or something. But it does sound like they should have and you are right if they knew then snape knew.

It seems in direct contrast - this paragraph versus the diary / malfoy & Snape not acting like they know thing.

#247 of 269 Old 07-13-2007, 10:23 PM

Quote:
That is interesting. It's possible though that paragraph doesn't mean they know about the horcruxes but rather about something else he did or that he was working on something secret or something. But it does sound like they should have and you are right if they knew then snape knew.

It seems in direct contrast - this paragraph versus the diary / malfoy & Snape not acting like they know thing.
Yeah, that paragraph combined with the actions of others doesn't really compute.

#248 of 269 Old 07-14-2007, 03:44 AM

One more thing after finishing rereading HBP:

Assuming Harry lives, I don't think he'll ever be an auror. In the end of the book Scrimgeour refers to them as "his aurors" almost like posessions, and Harry so completely mistrusts the Ministry. No matter what staff changes might occur, it will always be the same political (I can't figure how to spell beurocratic) institution and Harry would not work for them.

He might just fight on independently as 'evil always sprouts more heads,' or he might be the DADA teacher (from year 8 onwards) or something, but I think if he lives he will want to disappear at least for a while and live a simpler life.

and JKR, he had BETTER live! (Talk about throwing away books, that would make me sob so hard I would have to shred them.)
#249 of 269 Old 07-14-2007, 02:51 PM

What are you all doing sitting around here?

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story...-9047645c.html
#250 of 269 Old 07-15-2007, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboroson View Post
Purportedly, nobody except Dumbledore knew that Voldemort used to be Tom Riddle. So how did Ollivander know that Tom Riddle's wand eventually wound up being Voldemort's wand?

But, Ollivander didn't show up at the graveyard in book 4. Voldemort said then that there were three DEs missing: one who was on the run, one whom he feared would never come back to him, and one who was his true servant doing his work. By the end of that book, you presume the first is Karkaroff, the second Snape, the third Crouch. I cannot help but think that JKR purposely planted that there to confuse us. Perhaps he wasn't mentioning Crouch at all because he knew all the other DEs assumed him to be dead? In that case, was Ollivander one of the three missing DEs he mentioned? If so, which one? If we continue to assume that Karkaroff is the one on the run, is Ollivander the faithful servant? Or is Snape? I think Voldemort thinks Snape is his faithful servant, and Ollivander is the one who will not come back.
LV doesn't name all the DEs in the graveyard- only some of them. Olivander might have been there, or he might not have.

As for 'nobody but Dumbledore knew Tom Riddle became LV"-no, that's not what Dumbledore said. He said that many people don't realize the connection, not that "nobody" does. Olivander seems the type to keep track of these things- who did I sell my wand to, what did they do with them, etc. He's got an unusually strong memory for things like this- do you think Fred and George can remember everybody they ever sold something to, after only a year in business?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboroson View Post
Oh, one more prediction:

Luna Lovegood's father will finally find his Crumple Horned Snorkack.
It might even come into play in the final battle. Could it be a Crumple Horned Snorksack, and not a dragon, on the cover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseMomme View Post
My Dh agrees with the fact that it will be Filch who unexpectedly does magic...second guess is Arabella Figg, but she hasn't been as prominent a character as Filch.
I think it will be Figg. She's a member of the Order. Filch is more likely to be around "fully capable" wizards and have less need to perform magic.

Quote:
I agree. My dd watches that show sometimes and a younger version of her would be perfect for Tonks. Her nose looks exactly how the artist draws it in the books
Great. Now I'll never be able to watch that show again without wondering if Zach and Cody are wizards or squibbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
Nope, I don't think so... I'm pretty sure it's established (in OOTP I think) that James "saves" Snape's life by stopping him from coming into contact with Lupin when he's in werewolf mode at the shrieking shack... of course, since it was Sirius (with, I thought, James' tacit understanding) who cooked up the plot to get Snape to go into the tunnel that leads from the Whomping Willow to the shrieking shack (where Lupin hid while a werewolf) it didn't seem so much like "saving" to me as getting cold feet about a really BAD idea for a prank.
But, but OOTP is the book where Dumbledore isn't talking to Harry. It's Siruis or Lupin who explain the comment that Dumbledore made in an earlier book. So maybe Lupin THINKS Dumbledore is referring to one incident, but Dumbledore was really referring to something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoyingreader View Post
i started reading in 2 grade!!!!
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo[/QUOTE]I think you may have been reading on a 4th grade reading level in 2nd grade. It's also quite possible that you didn't fully understand the books the first few times you read them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanteach View Post
I think it would be a lot of fun to have dudlikins marry a major witch though. And have Petunia swoon over how lovely and lucky she is, how much better she is than anyone Harry could have gotten, etc.
Dudley and Luna!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanteach View Post
ooh, I have a grand thought.

I think the new book will OPEN with the characters living a few years ahead of where they were when book 6 ended. I don't otherwise see how JKR could possibly include everything that she needs to finish up.
No. I think the book is going to open up less than an hour after the last one ends, before leaving for Hogsmeade Station to take the Hogwart's Express back to Privet Drive. Something important is going to happen before they leave- collecting the Potions book from the RoR, talking to Dumbledore's portrait, or getting some other kind of information. There must be a reason HBP didn't end on the train going home, as the other 5 have.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#251 of 269 Old 07-15-2007, 04:50 PM

Oh no, don't pair Dudley with Luna. Don't wish that on her! LOL I like her character too much to wish Dudley on her!
#252 of 269 Old 07-15-2007, 05:07 PM

Should we pair up Dudley with Draco then? Or maybe Crabbe or Goyle?

Statistically speaking, it would be unusual for ALL the HP characters to be heterosexual.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#253 of 269 Old 07-15-2007, 08:47 PM

What about Luna and Ginny
#254 of 269 Old 07-15-2007, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBoo View Post
What about Luna and Ginny
They do seem to be good friends. Are they more than that?

#255 of 269 Old 07-16-2007, 05:46 PM

I've been re-listening to the Order of the Phoenix and have found proof indeed, that Harry will die. After his interview is published in the Quibbler, Prof. Trelawney (sp?) predicts in class that Harry won't die an early death after all; that he will be Minister of Magic and have 12 children. Sinc we know how reliable her predictions are, it seems proof that Harry will die soon.

I noticed one more thing - as Mad-eye Moody is pointing out people in a photograph to Harry, he mentions that one of them was killed by Voldemort himself. Could be that some item belonging to that person will turn out to be one of the horcruxes. [Argh, one problem with audiobooks is it is too difficult to go back and rehear something later on.]

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
#256 of 269 Old 07-17-2007, 03:38 AM

Curious if the movie changed anyone's mind about the ending. In the OOTP book, the tag on the prophecy said Harry Potter? with a question mark. I always thought that somehow it was going to wind up being Neville surprises everyone and kills Voldemort (thus the hero avoids being a "killer" but the bad guy dies). After seeing the way they portrayed the prophecy in the movie, I'm thinking not.
#257 of 269 Old 07-17-2007, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gendenwitha View Post
Curious if the movie changed anyone's mind about the ending. In the OOTP book, the tag on the prophecy said Harry Potter? with a question mark. I always thought that somehow it was going to wind up being Neville surprises everyone and kills Voldemort (thus the hero avoids being a "killer" but the bad guy dies). After seeing the way they portrayed the prophecy in the movie, I'm thinking not.
You know, I used to look to the movies for clues, thinking that JKR was watching them very carefully and wouldn't let things in or out that didn't support the ending she had envisioned. But after watching how they butchered the last few movies, I honestly don't think she cares all that much or is giving a whole lot of oversight. If something is that important, they'll find a way to add it back in.

nak

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#258 of 269 Old 07-17-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gendenwitha View Post
According to mugglenet JKR has said in interviews that the prophecy refers to Harry and not in any way to Neville. Yes they didn't know which before, but once Voldemort chose, it referred to Harry only.

#259 of 269 Old 07-17-2007, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
I thought on JKR's site she said that someone unexpected will "do magic late in life"?? That's why my money is on either Filch or Mrs. Figg (but I'm pretty certain it will be Filch)... either that or maybe Hagrid will do some MAJOR magic (i.e. not pig tails or fires LOLOL)?? I still think it will be Filch
I vote Ms. Figg. I just finished reading OotP and at the hearing they can't believe a Squib can give such an accurate description of a demontor attach. I'm betting there is a spectrum from "true Squib totally no magical ability" to "greatest wizard who ever lived" and Ms. Figg is a squib, but not 100%. Maybe she's like 95% squib and 5% magic and the magic will come out when it's needed.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#260 of 269 Old 07-19-2007, 10:44 PM

Couple things I noticed rereading order of the phoenix - regulas black is listed as having died 15 years earlier (so around the time of voldemorts downfall) on the tapestry at 12 grimauld place. They also find there a heavy locket no one can open, but from reading it it sounds like they are taking everything out and throwing it away, so if that's the horcrux they'll have to fish it out of the trash... )

#261 of 269 Old 07-19-2007, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Couple things I noticed rereading order of the phoenix - regulas black is listed as having died 15 years earlier (so around the time of voldemorts downfall) on the tapestry at 12 grimauld place. They also find there a heavy locket no one can open, but from reading it it sounds like they are taking everything out and throwing it away, so if that's the horcrux they'll have to fish it out of the trash... )
Which is where Kreacher will come in.

I think Kreacher went along for the ride with Regalus to the lake to retrieve the real Horcrux, so he knows darn well that this particular locket isn't just a family heirloom. It's either in Kreacher's "den" or in the attic- but it's somewhere at 12 Grimmauld Place and Kreacher can locate it in a nanosecond.

#262 of 269 Old 07-19-2007, 11:24 PM

Quote:
regulas black is listed as having died 15 years earlier (so around the time of voldemorts downfall) on the tapestry at 12 grimauld place. They also find there a heavy locket no one can open, but from reading it it sounds like they are taking everything out and throwing it away, so if that's the horcrux they'll have to fish it out of the trash... )
Perhaps Regalus took care of the locket horcrux back in those early years after Voldemort's fall. Once he destroyed the power of the locket, it would be harmless, just as Dumbledore wore the ring after it was no longer a horcrux. Thus it would have no significance, and having it tossed out with the trash wouldn't be a problem. ??? I dunno, just a thought.

Anyway, something struck me at the end of the HBP about that scene on the tower when Dumbledore dies... When Dumbledore is talking to Draco he keeps insisting that Draco is not a killer, that he still has a choice. I think that AD knew that he didn't have much longer left, and that he had an agreement with Snape to kill him in order to protect Draco, who he knew was under preasure from Voldomort. Also, I think that Snape is loyal to AD because AD has harbored Snape's mom, Eileen Prince / Irma Pince for all these years.

I'll admit, I haven't read ALL 250+ posts on this thread, so if I'm saying something totally redundant, pardon me... It just got me all excited thinking about this stuff!
#263 of 269 Old 07-19-2007, 11:48 PM

Quote:
kreacher might be able to get it that fast, but he will take his time getting it for harry.as much time as he can.
Not if he's given a direct order to get the locket and bring it to Harry.

#264 of 269 Old 07-20-2007, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Which is where Kreacher will come in.

I think Kreacher went along for the ride with Regalus to the lake to retrieve the real Horcrux, so he knows darn well that this particular locket isn't just a family heirloom. It's either in Kreacher's "den" or in the attic- but it's somewhere at 12 Grimmauld Place and Kreacher can locate it in a nanosecond.
Yup, that's a good point. I hadn't thought about Kreacher sneaking off with it. I just pointed out the part about Regulus because a lot of talk about him sounded like the assumption was he was still alive. Rereading that regulus was an unhappy deatheater makes the whole thing make more sense.

#265 of 269 Old 07-20-2007, 12:59 AM

Right:

Harry: Will he live or die? Will live

Ron: Will he live or die? Ditto

Hermione: Will she live or die? Ditto

Lord Voldemort: Will he live or die? Will die

Snape: Is he good or bad? Will he live or die? Good, will die

Dumbledore: Why did he trust Snape? because he knew that he was in love with Lily Potter and truly understood that he hated LV for killing her

Hogwarts: Will it be open or closed? Temp.closed but then reopened

Horcruxes: What objects do you think are horcruxes?

Deaths: Who else do you think will die? Ginny Weasely

Please add any other predictions. The more, the merrier!

I think that Ginny will die saving Harry, a complete circle from the Lilly and harry at the start. I think true love will out wit Voldermort in the end and once all the Horcruxes are destroyed he will this time truly be killed by the Adava Kedavra reflecting back off Ginny who will stand in front of Harry. harry will be left with a new scar - hence the last word possibly being scar.\

But what do I know..........
#266 of 269 Old 07-20-2007, 01:13 AM

Quote:
but ginny can't die!! then harry can't become a member of the weasly family!
There's always Charlie.

#267 of 269 Old 07-20-2007, 11:37 AM

The Trio: I HOPE they all live, but am feeling like one of them will die.

Lord Voldemort: Will he live or die? He'll definitely die

Snape: Is he good or bad? Will he live or die? He's on the right side (but still a cranky man), and will die.

Dumbledore: Why did he trust Snape? I'm not entirely sure... but I do think he was in love with Lilly... I also am intrigued by the idea of Irma Pince being his mom in hiding.

Hogwarts: Will it be open or closed? it will be closed for part of the book, but open for another part

Horcruxes: What objects do you think are horcruxes? For some reason I don't speculate much about this... but you've got the diary, ring, and locket already. I like the idea of one being something he'll find clues about at Godric's Hollow, maybe Rowena Ravenclaw's wand... I don't know

Deaths: Who else do you think will die? I too have a feeling Ginny will die. Harry wants so much to protect her, that it seems quite likely. I really hope not, because I like Harry and Ginny together, so I really hope JKR surprises me on this one. If she doesn't, I do believe another Weasley family member will die -- I'm thinking probably Mr. Weasley. I think Hagrid will probably die.
#268 of 269 Old 07-20-2007, 11:54 AM

I wanted to post here and make sure everyone saw AnnetteMarie's sticky in Books, Music and other Media. It is the only HP and the deathly hallows thread, no spoilers are to be posted, even with spoiler tags on any other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteMarie on the official HP7 Spoiler thread
This is the only place on MDC for Deathly Hallows spoilers. We'll open this thread sometime after the book is released on 7/21/07 (details forthcoming) for discussions on the new book. Please wait until the thread is open to discuss Book 7. Please do not start threads elsewhere that divulge details of Book 7. Anybody placing spoilers anywhere other than in this thread will be sent to the Dungeon, with Snape. (Book Snape, not Alan Rickman Snape)

So, hang on tight and get ready...
I won't link to the thread from here because I don't want someone to accidentally click on it and end up accidentally finding spoilers. If you are looking for the official Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows spoiler thread its in the sticky section.

#269 of 269 Old 07-20-2007, 02:05 PM

Betting is closed as books are starting to be released in some countries.

Thank you everyone for participating in what was a really fun thread.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page