#1 of 62 Old 06-24-2007, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's both a movie and a book. Movie site:

http://www.goldencompassmovie.com/

Book on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Compass...802660-1982208

I saw a preview for the movie the other night, and it looks like it will help to quell my Harry Potter withdrawal once I'm finished with the 7th book. Anyone read it? It's book one of a trilogy.

:
#2 of 62 Old 06-24-2007, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My son LOVED the book and the rest of the HDM series. He definitely recommends it. He is intrigued but nervous about the movie. He fears they've might have tweaked the story too much...

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#3 of 62 Old 06-24-2007, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post
My son LOVED the book and the rest of the HDM series. He definitely recommends it. He is intrigued but nervous about the movie. He fears they've might have tweaked the story too much...
LOL, ah, spoken like a true bibliophile. When I saw the preview, I said to dh, "Oooh, that looks good....wonder if there's a book I can read first?"
#4 of 62 Old 06-24-2007, 10:43 PM

I've read the His Dark Materials trilogy and it is excellent. I highly recommend it! I won't see the movie though, I've been burned too thoroughly on the HP movies.
#5 of 62 Old 06-25-2007, 12:09 AM

Love love LOVE the books. I am excited about the movie too. Of course they won't come close to doing justice to the books, but it will still be decent I think.
#6 of 62 Old 06-25-2007, 12:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Just recently read the trilogy and loved it.
#7 of 62 Old 06-25-2007, 01:49 AM

I haven't read the books yet but they look interesting.

I can live with the HP movies but if the movie is as bad as Eragon I think I'll skip it. That was traumatizing it was so bad.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#8 of 62 Old 06-25-2007, 03:03 AM

I adore these books (although I liked the third less than the first two). They are ones I will definitely re-read. Great for adults and kids alike. I'm nervous about the movie not coming near the brilliance of the books...but since it has Daniel Craig in it, I'll be there!
#9 of 62 Old 06-25-2007, 03:16 AM

I loved the trilogy. My dh is reading The Golden Compass as I write and is totally hooked on it. I don't know if I'd see the movie though. I almost always find movies made from books to be irritating because of how they need to be changed in order to work on film or because the characters/environment doesn't look the way it looked in my mind while reading the book.
#10 of 62 Old 06-25-2007, 03:44 AM

I thought this trilogy was well written and engaging. I passed it on to my 11 year old who is an avid reader and he felt they were a little esoteric and that there was something deeper to them that he was missing. I understand how he got that. They were pretty intense and had some huge symbolic stuff going on that I think were just more mature than he was ready for.

I think I'll skip the movie. I am a little worried that they'll butcher it like Eragon. I went to see Eragon with my older son (he and I had both read the books) and my roommate and younger son. When we left the theatre, my older son and I both said, man that was disappointing. my roommate and younger son both liked it. It was funny....

Adrienne, ManyMom, Lover of Magical Moments

3x Gestational Surrogate, Currently carrying babies for A&T and due in March!joy.gif

#11 of 62 Old 06-25-2007, 08:17 AM

I think it looks great--but I am really curious about how they will handle all the book's view of faith and organized religion--also, Mrs. Coulter and Lord Asriel are such dark & passionate characters, how will that play out? It is really such a cool book--if any of you haven't read, it's a total recommend. You can read it on one level as a great children's adventure book, and then there are whole other levels and questions to ponder.

From what I've seen though, the cinematography looks amazing, and the polar bears look great!
#12 of 62 Old 06-25-2007, 08:52 AM

I really liked the trilogy but it was sort of depressing at the same time. Part of me liked the way the books addressed orginized religion, but the complete negative spirituality was just sad. I would recommend it for older kids and adults.

PS, I'm with abimommy wrt the Eragon movie, it was painful to watch, we've been spoiled with LOTR, Harry Potter, and even Star Wars to be subjected to the half rate acting and special effects in Eragon. The books are supurb, I'll stay with the books.
#13 of 62 Old 06-25-2007, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Loved the books, and I think the movie looks like it will be excellent. I'm really looking forward to it! Dd and I are both excited!

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#14 of 62 Old 06-25-2007, 11:16 AM

Just one thing, I seriously doubt anything is going to quell my Harry Potter withdraw symptoms after I read book 7.
#15 of 62 Old 06-25-2007, 12:28 PM
Banned

the books are absolutely fantastic.

i will see the movies, but i don't know if they're giong to do a good job with them or not.

the books are for 'more mature' young readers. you have to know your child's reading level well--there are a lot of 'new words' introduced, particularly in the first book, and they're not explained. you get the idea from context, but it's not quite as 'easy-to-grasp' as harry's world. it's much more complex.

i would say 9 and up for really good readers, 11 and up for more average. i think the average age or the focus for the book is the 12-14 set.
#16 of 62 Old 06-25-2007, 12:29 PM
Banned

oh, and i do look forward to seeing the panserbjorn. oh man. but, nothing's is ever as great as i imagine it. though, the films of TLoR came close to meeting my own imaginings.
#17 of 62 Old 06-26-2007, 02:15 PM

dh read, recommends highly for 9 yos and up.
#18 of 62 Old 06-26-2007, 06:32 PM

Love the books. It's been awhile since I read them, but I still remember the part where

Warning :: Spoiler Ahead! Highlight to read message!

Lyra says to Will (is that his name? anyways her true love) that they will each go to their own world but when they pass on, she will find him and her particles will cling to his and become a tree or flower or whatever and live on together. Or something like that

Love the whole dust thing and the way they look at different people/cultures/worlds.

I just wish that the role of Ms Coulter wasn't played by Nicole Kidman. I find that when a famous/full of themselves actor is in a movie, it ends up being all about them instead of the actual movie.
#19 of 62 Old 06-26-2007, 06:47 PM

Heather,

I have a feeling Nichole Kidman will make a fine Ms. Coulter. And, it could be worse, it could be the self-absorbed ice-queen with the same name, *Anne* Coulter. :
#20 of 62 Old 06-26-2007, 06:48 PM

These books are terrific and hair-raisingly subversive, at least for anyone coming from a Western religous angle. It's a wonder to me that they flew under the book-burning radar of the folks who freaked out about "satanic" Harry P. (Imo, they'd have done better to freak out about the lameness of HP but that's another thread).

I would definitely NOT see a movie based on Pullman's trilogy, though. I simply don't think it can be done. Maybe I'm picky, but movies from books always disappoint me.

Anyone looking for another great read from Philip Pullman should check out his Victorian trilogy about Sally Lockhart. YA, but really for anyone. Total suspense, and totally different from Golden Compass (except in the strong heroine department).
#21 of 62 Old 06-26-2007, 06:58 PM

There is a lot more in the Pullman trilogy to get right-wing panties in a wad.

It would entail actually reading the books, however.
#22 of 62 Old 06-27-2007, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post
These books are terrific and hair-raisingly subversive, at least for anyone coming from a Western religous angle. It's a wonder to me that they flew under the book-burning radar of the folks who freaked out about "satanic" Harry P.
Ds said pretty much the same thing to me about the series. He wondered where all the drama was, but he was just as glad that there wasn't any. He's pretty sure some of those folks will hate the movie for that reason though.

I wonder if Pullman has ever made a banned book list.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#23 of 62 Old 06-27-2007, 08:53 AM

Why are the numbers off in the posts?
#24 of 62 Old 06-27-2007, 01:50 PM

Oh, "His Dark Materials" is a fantastic trilogy. I did read an article in some Catholic publication about how "anti-Catholic" the books are, which I consider debatable, though I agree that they are far more subversive toward organized religion in general than HP. Much more complex than HP, as well. Definitely worth a read, though I hesitate to see movies--as above posters have said, 1) it would be difficult to do a film version of these stories well, and 2) I tend not to like movies made from books anyway.
#25 of 62 Old 07-02-2007, 08:39 AM

I loved this book when I read it several years ago. My ds has to read it over the summer so I decided to re-read it. Loved it all over again. I think it is more complex and more adult than Harry Potter while still being a great adventure. My ds is almost 12, right on the cusp of puberty. I think 12 is a great age to read the book during that time right between innocence and experience.

There is an interesting article on the books on Wikipedia. Catholics did have some problems with it. Pullman claims that he could have picked any highly organized religion for that role.

I think Daniel Craig will be great as Lord Asriel and that Nicole Kidman is almost perfect as Mrs. Coulter, though I don't know why they didn't dye her hair black. The little girl who plays Lyra has always wanted to play Lyra. Pullman is involved with the movie and seems to be pretty happy with the outcome. They have done a stage performance in Britain so I am sure some of the kinks from going from book to movie have been worked out.
#26 of 62 Old 07-02-2007, 08:49 AM

One of my favorite series! I love the characters. It is "youth literature" and it is very enjoyable for an adult.

I am dying to see the movie. I looks really well done. Nicole is perfectly caste in this role. And I am pretty sure Mrs. Coulter did have golden hair. I remember that is how Lyra identified on her several occasions in the story.
#27 of 62 Old 07-02-2007, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igraine View Post
One of my favorite series! I love the characters. It is "youth literature" and it is very enjoyable for an adult.

I am dying to see the movie. I looks really well done. Nicole is perfectly caste in this role. And I am pretty sure Mrs. Coulter did have golden hair. I remember that is how Lyra identified on her several occasions in the story.
Actually Mrs. Coulter is described as having dark hair. It is the golden haired monkey that Lyra use to identify Mrs. Coulter. The daemons and the humans are so much a part of each other that it is easy to see how the hair color could be confused.
#28 of 62 Old 07-02-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonwyn View Post
Actually Mrs. Coulter is described as having dark hair. It is the golden haired monkey that Lyra use to identify Mrs. Coulter. The daemons and the humans are so much a part of each other that it is easy to see how the hair color could be confused.
You are right! I guess I took the daemon thing a little too far.

Hollywood HAD to leave it's mark somehow. Let's hope that is the only serious deviation from the original story.
#29 of 62 Old 07-02-2007, 05:18 PM

My DH and I have been listening to the audio book - it's narrated by Phillip Pullman, and it rocks.
#30 of 62 Old 07-03-2007, 06:25 PM

I realy enjoyed this trilogy (though I started to lose interest by the end of the third). My dh is reading it now andhe's pretty hooked which says a lot because he is *not* a fantasy fan. Here's an article on Philip Pullman from The New Yorker a while back.
I agree with the PP who mentioned the stage play for getting out kinks. I missed it though I was in London while it was playing, it got great reviews so, despite Nicole Kidman I have high hopes.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page