Speculation on Hogwart's Teachers (Contains Half Blood Prince Spoilers) - Mothering Forums

#1 of 35 Old 07-09-2007, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
This post is going to contain spoilers from Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, and possibly from Order of the Phoenix as well. It's a fun speculation that also includes stuff from JKR's interviews.

JKR has said that, if Hogwarts re-opens in Book 7, there won't be any new characters as teachers. There's certainly the option of Hogwarts not opening up before the Epilogue, or never opening again at all, but I'd like to have some fun speculating on who the Hogwart's teachers might be if it does re-open this year.

Also keep in mine that, in the past, JKR has kept a careful balance of male and female teachers; an equal number of each. The year that we had a female DADA teacher, the Divination class went from being taught by a woman to being taught by a male.

I'm assuming McGonnagal will take Dumbledore's place as Head of the school. Does this mean that we've "lost" a female teacher, or does Dumbledore's loss count as the loss of a male staff member?

I doubt McGonnagal will be able to run the school, teach Transfigurartion, AND be active in the order simultaneously. I think we need a new Transfiguration teacher. Obviously, we also need a new DADA teacher.

Perhaps somebody from the Order will come to Hogwarts. Or maybe Grubbly-Planks will take over one of those classes. Maybe Grubbly-Planks will teach Transfiguration, and somebody from the order (male?) will teach DADA? Which one?

Ruth, single mommy to 3 quasi-adults
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 35 Old 07-09-2007, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read recently that JKR said we haven't seen the last of Dolores Umbridge. So maybe she'll come back?

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#3 of 35 Old 07-09-2007, 02:05 PM

I will throw the book in the garbage disposal if I have to read about Dolores Umbridge again. I hated her. With a mad passion.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 

#4 of 35 Old 07-09-2007, 03:20 PM

step away from the disposal!
#5 of 35 Old 07-09-2007, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

I think we'll "see" Umbridge again, but not in detail. I'd like to see her mentioned briefly, doing just fine at the Ministry. Maybe she'll shack up with Percy Weasley.

#6 of 35 Old 07-09-2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonAnne View Post
I will throw the book in the garbage disposal if I have to read about Dolores Umbridge again. I hated her. With a mad passion.
OMG I totally agree! I'm rereading OOTP and its painful!

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

#7 of 35 Old 07-09-2007, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Oooh, good point about the balance of male and female! Hogwarts, the Founders, their elemental symbolism (earth, air, fire, water) are all about regaining balance.

I think Hogwarts will be in transition this final year. Nothing will be permanently decided. Maybe there won't be a DADA teacher. Don't forget, Gryffindor needs a head of house. Could McGonagall handle being Transfiguration teacher, head of Gryffindor and Head, all at once? I don't think being a member of the Order has to make any more work for McGonagall.

Grubbly-Plank is a good thought, at least temporarily. She seems like a good teacher, regardless of the subject.

Ugh! I hope Umbridge doesn't try to come back! I still think justice hasn't been served in her case.

To my way of thinking, the Head of Hogwarts is supposed to embody all the best aspects of all four Houses. So, even though Dumbledore was from Gryffindor, he was not Head of Gryffindor while he was Head of Hogwarts. He was good at supporting the needs of all four houses. If McGonagall is Head of Gryffindor while also being Head of Hogwarts, the Houses are out of balance.

Hogwarts students would need a DADA teacher now more than ever, though. Perhaps all the teachers will take turns, teaching what's most helpful from their own subjects.

Maybe Gryffindor will do without a Head until things can be permanently sorted out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#8 of 35 Old 07-09-2007, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Hagrid could be Head of Griffindor. He was in Griffindor, right? Does it say anywhere?

#9 of 35 Old 07-09-2007, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Because there will be no new characters as teachers, hogwarts may not be reopened. Is there really, enough characters to do a decent arrangement of teachers?
#10 of 35 Old 07-09-2007, 10:25 PM

I'm with SharonAnne. If I have to endure reading about that Umbridge woman being ANYWHERE near Hogwarts in a position of power, I will positively scream. Reading OOTP was awful the first go-round, the second time I read it was less painful because I knew how it ended, but still painful nonetheless. If Umbridge is a teacher, I will hurl.

As for the speculation on who will teach what...hell, I don't know. : Maybe Moody will do DADA. Maybe Lupin.

We'll know in 12 days, thank goodness. The wait is about to kill me.
#11 of 35 Old 07-09-2007, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Moody never actually did any teaching, did he?

I don't think we need to do a lot of "rearranging" of teachers here. If Hagrid takes over as Head of Griffindor, Grubbly-Plank teaches Transfiguraration, and the somebody from the Order takes DADA.

Maybe Hogwart's WON'T be in balance this year- maybe there will be an excess of female teachers this year because the world is so imbalanced right now.

#12 of 35 Old 07-10-2007, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Moody never actually did any teaching, did he?
Oh, duh...forgot about that lil' technicality. :
#13 of 35 Old 07-10-2007, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthy Mama View Post
Because there will be no new characters as teachers, hogwarts may not be reopened. Is there really, enough characters to do a decent arrangement of teachers?

And isn't Harry planning on not returning to Hogwarts?

Michelle
#14 of 35 Old 07-10-2007, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post
Oh, duh...forgot about that lil' technicality. :
Well, since Moody never taught there yet, he could still do it "again"-and not violate the curse.

#15 of 35 Old 07-10-2007, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Well, since Moody never taught there yet, he could still do it "again"-and not violate the curse.
Curse?
#16 of 35 Old 07-10-2007, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

The position is cursed- since Dumbledore turned down Voldie for the job, nobody's lasted more than one year. I don't think anybody's tried working there a second time, after leaving once, but that might not be possible either. Since Moody never actually taught- it was Barty Crouch Jr, Moody might still be able to teach there before the curse is lifted (I suspect the curse will lift when Voldemort kicks the bucket.)

#17 of 35 Old 07-10-2007, 01:41 AM

Do you have the link to the interview where Jo said there wouldn't be any new teachers this year? This interview says there's going to be a new DADA teacher, but she said on her website here that it won't be Lupin.

My guess is Hagrid stays on as Care of Magical Creatures & is head of Gryffindor (HP Lexicon says he was in Gryffindor). Grubbly-Plank never taught transfiguration, she was always was of Magical Creatures sub for Hagrid.
#18 of 35 Old 07-10-2007, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post
As for the speculation on who will teach what...hell, I don't know. : Maybe Moody will do DADA. Maybe Lupin.

We'll know in 12 days, thank goodness. The wait is about to kill me.
Of course! Moody. Good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleS View Post
And isn't Harry planning on not returning to Hogwarts?
Harry says all kinds of things and finds himself doing the opposite. Harry swore he'd never use the two-way mirror Sirius gave him, never give Sirius a reason to leave Grimmauld Place. Well, that whole thing was tragically ironic.

OK, so the real Moody teaches DADA, Hagrid becomes Head of Griffyndor and McGonagall retains her Transfiguration position as well as being Headmistress. I can see it.

#19 of 35 Old 07-10-2007, 02:05 AM

I guess I've just presumed that if Hogwarts reopened, that Hagrid would head Gryffindor. It says he was in Gryffindor in COS. There is no way a headmaster could also head a house.
#20 of 35 Old 07-10-2007, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennnk View Post
Do you have the link to the interview where Jo said there wouldn't be any new teachers this year? This interview says there's going to be a new DADA teacher, but she said on her website here that it won't be Lupin.

My guess is Hagrid stays on as Care of Magical Creatures & is head of Gryffindor (HP Lexicon says he was in Gryffindor). Grubbly-Plank never taught transfiguration, she was always are of Magical Creatures sub for Hagrid.
Nope, I just remember somebody else posting about it after having read/heard the interview. Maybe whoever I heard it from was mistaken.

Ah, from that first link you gave:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Rowling
There will be some characters who you don't know particularly well, and there may be a couple of new characters, but nobody really major. You know pretty much the cast list by now.
So maybe I'm the one who remembered it wrong. She said there wouldn't be any new major characters, we know the cast list by now- but I forgot the qualification that there may be a couple of minor new characters.

The speculation can still be fun, right?

#21 of 35 Old 07-10-2007, 02:46 AM

Well..if Harry isn't going back to Hogwarts the new DADA teacher might still be a minor character.

There are several characters that have been mentioned that haven't shown up in the books yet...or have shown up but very little.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#22 of 35 Old 07-11-2007, 01:42 PM

Hi, Anoyingreader! It's great to meet you.

Good luck at Hogwarts this September!

#23 of 35 Old 07-11-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
The position is cursed- since Dumbledore turned down Voldie for the job, nobody's lasted more than one year. I don't think anybody's tried working there a second time, after leaving once, but that might not be possible either. Since Moody never actually taught- it was Barty Crouch Jr, Moody might still be able to teach there before the curse is lifted (I suspect the curse will lift when Voldemort kicks the bucket.)
Oh yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaahhhh.....forgot about that. Well then it makes sense. Moody can teach 'cause he technically hasn't yet, and when Voldemort bites it the curse will be broken, so if he wants to stay he can.
#24 of 35 Old 07-12-2007, 10:43 PM

Maybe Snape will finally get it.......before he gets killed defending Harry from Voldemort. :
#25 of 35 Old 07-12-2007, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

But Snape already taught DADA in Harry's 6th year. And there's no way he can possibly continue teaching at Hogwarts now!

#26 of 35 Old 07-12-2007, 11:20 PM

Quote:
But Snape already taught DADA in Harry's 6th year. And there's no way he can possibly continue teaching at Hogwarts now!

Gah! Do I need to re-read HBP again?
#27 of 35 Old 07-12-2007, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenkids View Post
Gah! Do I need to re-read HBP again?
Yes.

Jo said here that there will be a new DADA teacher, and said on her website that it won't be Lupin.
#28 of 35 Old 07-13-2007, 02:37 AM

I would guess that it will be either Moody or Tonks. Tonks is an auror after all, and I'm thinking that while Moody *could* do it in terms of the curse, he's more likely to have serious Order business to attend to than Tonks is, more experience, stronger at it, etc.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#29 of 35 Old 07-13-2007, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesMom View Post
I would guess that it will be either Moody or Tonks. Tonks is an auror after all, and I'm thinking that while Moody *could* do it in terms of the curse, he's more likely to have serious Order business to attend to than Tonks is, more experience, stronger at it, etc.
Didn't moody say at the end of Goblet of Fire that he'd had enough teaching for a lifetime?
#30 of 35 Old 07-13-2007, 09:02 AM

I am wondering if the centre of activity will even be at Hogwarts. Won't the school close? I thought Harry had to go look for the Horcruxes.

Roman Goddess, mom to J (August 2004) and J (April 2009).    h20homebirth.gif signcirc1.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page