Recent spoilers--Harry Potter DO NOT POST THEM - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 178 Old 07-18-2007, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
A third option would be to order another book from Amazon.com, to arrive on Saturday, and then refuse the order that comes in the middle of the week. Or is it too late for that?

As an alternative to joining the "midnight crazies" on Friday night, you could buy in Saturday morning- or afternoon, or evening. You could even buy it on Sunday.

Or you could keep the order as it is, get a copy sooner if possible, and send the book "return to sender" if you haven't yet gotten your copy, or keep it if life got too crazy and you didn't get the book yet.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 178 Old 07-18-2007, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Do you have a local bookstore? We're going to a smallish local bookstore's party, in the hopes that it will be less insane.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#123 of 178 Old 07-18-2007, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay. Here's what we're gonna do. My friend here in town wasn't sure she was going to buy the book b/c she didn't want to endure the hassle of pre-ordering or waiting in line and all that. SO....she's happily agreed to buy the amazon copy, and I'm giving it to her for $15. Then I'm driving to our nearest Wal-Mart (oh hush...) and getting it that night, hoping Wally fart won't be a zoo.

I REFUSE to go to barnes and noble, because I don't want to get trampled.
#124 of 178 Old 07-18-2007, 05:59 PM

I am so bitter. It cost me 38 dollars.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#125 of 178 Old 07-18-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
: I was wondering why, then I saw your location.....

: Please don't hurt me.
#126 of 178 Old 07-18-2007, 06:06 PM

It's okay.

It used to even out, but now that our dollar is reaching parity with the American dollar, it is a rip off.

It's going to take a while for prices to even ouit.

#127 of 178 Old 07-18-2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post
Then I'm driving to our nearest Wal-Mart (oh hush...) and getting it that night, hoping Wally fart won't be a zoo.

I REFUSE to go to barnes and noble, because I don't want to get trampled.
I've bought the last 3 books at WalMart : and the crowd wasn't bad at all. When GoF came out, we were the only people waiting on it when the manager rolled it out. But there was a minor skirmish when OotF came out- one girl was elbowed in the head.
#128 of 178 Old 07-19-2007, 12:33 AM

I've been wondering something, so I guess I should ask...
This question is for those of you who have unintentionally read the spoilers (back when you still thought they were real, or maybe you still do). I'm assuming after you read the spoilers you tried to come to grips with how the story ended as far as who died and who lived, etc... What if, after receiving and reading the book, you realize the spoilers were false? How would you feel? Happy that the story wasn't ruined or kinda upset because you came to terms with the person(s) who died, but the ending was shocking and not what you expected?
Just curious, and would love to hear your thoughts.
#129 of 178 Old 07-19-2007, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoyingreader View Post
ok,so that was clear,but that was 1 page not 7 hundred something.
I've seen much longer books scanned like that. Just yesterday I was perusing a bunch of vintage fiber arts books that had been scanned like that. Some of them were hundreds of pages. Unfortunately, I didn't save the link and now can't find it. But, they were all perfectly clear.
#130 of 178 Old 07-19-2007, 01:32 AM

Aside from feeling like I was "cheating"..I would actually be stealing by reading those pages scanned and online. I did not pay for that book and neither did that person who stole it and scanned it in the 1st place. I hope he gets busted, busted busted.
#131 of 178 Old 07-19-2007, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
Where did you buy it? I bought mine at Chapters.ca last night and it only cost $20.

Mom to K (06.23.06) & A (09.13.09)
#132 of 178 Old 07-19-2007, 02:45 AM

I dunno, if you're paying for the book in two days (or three or four), I don't think I'd consider reading it online to be stealing. It's having a sneak peek, like sitting in the cafe at B&N reading as much as you can before actually buying.

I wouldn't do it myself, I want to hold the book in my hands while I read it. I can't stand reading things that long on the computer.

Now, if you don't plan to buy the book, it might be stealing... then again, so far I haven't owned a single HP book, I've read them all from the library. Some people borrow copies from friends to read. There's a pretty well established tradition of legally reading material that does not physically belong to you. Would this be any different? I'm not sure, pondering that.

That said, I think it would be wrong because it's playing into a game that is inherently unethical, and is stealing. Even if the person who scanned it rightfully owned the book (albeit came by it accidentally, given the timing), legally he could not scan it and post it. That is against copyright, and is technically stealing even if no one reads it. The person who distributed it is the criminal, not the person who reads it. I don't think it's right to give such criminals a market or spotlight, even if it's not legally or morally stealing to read it.
#133 of 178 Old 07-19-2007, 03:19 AM

Ok, I only got to page 3 before posting, but I have a q. How will you mamas that stay up all night reading and crying (oh you know your gonna cry, even if it is happy, we will cry) deal with life the next day. I mean the kids and cleaning and stuff? Every book I have stayed up all night reading and re-reading, but I dont think I can parent with no sleep! lol.

Laura wife to Chris proud mommy to our lil monkey (c-section 6-10-06), our other lil monkey (HBAC 3-08-09) Our next and last son (due by HBAC mid July 2011) and our angel (10-03-04). My middle son has many severe food allergies.

#134 of 178 Old 07-19-2007, 03:45 AM

there's a review in the nyt today! michiko *bought* the book in nyc yesterday. no spoilers in the review, thankfully. i read it with one eye half shut, just in case. she does mention a couple of things but nothing major.
#135 of 178 Old 07-19-2007, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raeinparis View Post
there's a review in the nyt today! michiko *bought* the book in nyc yesterday. no spoilers in the review, thankfully. i read it with one eye half shut, just in case. she does mention a couple of things but nothing major.
Hmmm...Mugglenet said the NYT review did have some major spoilers in it. : I can wait I can wait I can wait. I can wait right?
#136 of 178 Old 07-19-2007, 04:45 AM

really? i read it a second time. there's a reference to the hallows...but not much else that a reader wouldn't expect from the last book.

maybe folks shouldn't read anything with the word "potter" in the title...
#137 of 178 Old 07-19-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.14_Opal View Post
I've been wondering something, so I guess I should ask...
This question is for those of you who have unintentionally read the spoilers (back when you still thought they were real, or maybe you still do). I'm assuming after you read the spoilers you tried to come to grips with how the story ended as far as who died and who lived, etc... What if, after receiving and reading the book, you realize the spoilers were false? How would you feel? Happy that the story wasn't ruined or kinda upset because you came to terms with the person(s) who died, but the ending was shocking and not what you expected?
Just curious, and would love to hear your thoughts.
I actually almost hope they're false because then I get two great reads for the price of one.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#138 of 178 Old 07-19-2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandar View Post
Hmmm...Mugglenet said the NYT review did have some major spoilers in it. : I can wait I can wait I can wait. I can wait right?
Maybe they confused it with the Boston Sun review? That one was Spoiler City.

#139 of 178 Old 07-19-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laralee16 View Post
Ok, I only got to page 3 before posting, but I have a q. How will you mamas that stay up all night reading and crying (oh you know your gonna cry, even if it is happy, we will cry) deal with life the next day. I mean the kids and cleaning and stuff? Every book I have stayed up all night reading and re-reading, but I dont think I can parent with no sleep! lol.
One of my children, the very soon to be 13 year old, will be on a canoe trip with his dad.

My other son is 19.

No worries about parenting without sleep the next day. I will be sleeping!

Don't be too jealous, I am having to deal with my older son leaving for college in a few weeks, and my younger son starts marching band and will be home very little this coming marching season.

Hope you can find time to read your book!

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#140 of 178 Old 07-19-2007, 12:10 PM

My Dh for the first time in 2 years will be solely responsible for the kids. Well, not solely responsible since Eleanor is still nursing, but he is in charge of occupying them so I can finish reading, etc. If I have already finished it, I am for whatever reason, usually not that tired- I think it might the adreneline rush of finishing it and trying to process of the plot in my mind. I know I flew through HBP and was ready to go the next day.
#141 of 178 Old 07-19-2007, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by laralee16 View Post
That's what dh is for. The one thing he totally understands.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#142 of 178 Old 07-19-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandar View Post
Yes, I read it and I think it has one BIG spoiler in it, that relates to the title (explaining the "Deathy Hallows") So, if you don't want to know that info, stay far away from the NYT review.
#143 of 178 Old 07-19-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
I'm in Ontario and I pre-ordered mine for delivery on Saturday (from Chapters) and there was a 48% discount - mine is like $20 and change.

Where are you getting it? Maybe you can do the same thing? Hopefully? :

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
#144 of 178 Old 07-19-2007, 02:18 PM

I got mine from Indigo, which is the same company! Now I am bitter. My auntw orks there, so I am going to call her to see what's up.

#145 of 178 Old 07-19-2007, 02:33 PM

JKR = Not a Happy Camper
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6905873.stm

#146 of 178 Old 07-19-2007, 02:35 PM

And another story
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070719/...tter_review_dc
Quote:
A Bloomsbury spokeswoman called the New York Times review "very sad," adding that there was only one day to wait until the official release in book stores around the world. Twelve million copies of the book have been printed for the U.S. market alone.

She likened the events in the United States to the Boston Tea Party, a 1773 protest by American colonists against Britain.

"But over here it is blockades as usual, with the embargo being enforced unflinchingly and without exception by all our customers," she said.
Erm... Ok, then. Didn't America ultimately win the Revolutionary War?

#147 of 178 Old 07-19-2007, 03:02 PM

I was just coming to to post about the Boston Tea Party thing- that is so funny and completely not even the the same situation at all.
#148 of 178 Old 07-19-2007, 03:04 PM

I just pre-ordered my copy on Amazon :

She has every right to get upset at people trying to spoil her book.
#149 of 178 Old 07-19-2007, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
And another story
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070719/...tter_review_dc

Erm... Ok, then. Didn't America ultimately win the Revolutionary War?
It really seems like the Bloomsbury spokesperson is implying that the Boston Tea party was unethical. :

Hah! *puts ice in her tea in protest*

Not all those who wander are lost 
#150 of 178 Old 07-19-2007, 03:55 PM

Ok, I'm a freakin' fast reader. When I have the time, I can readily go through a regular sized novel in a day, and an OOTP sized novel in a day and a half.

But I have to say, how on earth could a reviewer have bought this book on Wednesday, read it throughly and closely enough to actually *review* it, get the review written and to press in time for today's paper?

Either they're lying and they had it prior to Wednesday. Or they had the review half-written (they do say in that second article that they gave praise to the whole series) with the assumption that they would be reviewing it highly. Then they just filled in a few details from a quick skim of the book to make it look like an authentic review.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page