Has anyone ever published a book? How did you go about it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-09-2003, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've got a really great idea for a series of children's books. How do I go from idea to published book?
#2 of 8 Old 07-10-2003, 10:15 AM
Kim

Hi Bellee,

I have not published any books myself, but I may have a lot of resources for you.

We have a friend who ghost-wrote a book for a famous author, another friend who wrote and published a series of books through his own publishing company (which he has sold).

When I was in college I interviewed at a small publishing company in Mankato -- the company specializes in children's books. I'll have to do some digging around to see if the company is still around. They did some beautiful work!

There was a mama here (from St. Paul) who published her own novel. I think her name was Naomi and she announced her success in Books, Movies, Media...

Let me know if I can help any further. Maybe there are some mama's out here who can help more than I can.

Can't wait to hear your idea! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE buying books for my dd!
#3 of 8 Old 07-10-2003, 11:14 AM

Here is what I can tell you:
I hope this doesn't sound too cynical.

I am a writer and have penned three children's books.
None of them have ever been picked up by a publishing house.

There is a TREMENDOUSLY HUGE amount of writers and a tiny amount of demand. Most of the children's books that are in print have been for a LOOOOONG time. They don't like to add new books to the mix.

I had an idea for an AP series of toddler board books, but can't seem to find a publishing house whose writer's guidelines fit the criteria.

Also, most houses like for you to have your storyboards done by a professional illustrator. Unless you are an artist with this sort of experience, it is rather expensive.

Pick up a copy of the Children's Writers and Illustrators Market for this year - it's at any good bookstore.

Then, start reading the listings and find a house that works with your type of book. Follow their submission guidelines - some want storyboards, some want full manuscripts, some want queries.

Good luck!
#4 of 8 Old 07-10-2003, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies for the great info.

Sandra~your not too cynical...just telling me your experiance, which I appricate. I'll pick up a copy of that book and go from there.

Kim~I'll share my idea after it's sold

Peace
#5 of 8 Old 07-10-2003, 05:35 PM
Kim

Bellee,

The name of the Mankato publishing company was Creative Education. I wasn't able to find a website for them, but lots of books are referenced under their publishing company. So, if the book is education-based, this may be useful.

BTW, I am an artist -- graphic, watercolor, and digital if you need a resource for storyboarding.

Sandra Dee,

I was just at a local bookstore the other day and found a board book called "I'm Made of Mama's Milk" by Mary Olsen. The photographs, although beautiful, were grainy and pixelated. I loved the idea of AP-themed books...so sad not to see more of them!

Okay -- it looks like Mary Olsen self-published her book, but I found another AP-themed book called "The Biggest Bed in the World" published by Harpercollins Juvenile Books. You might try them???
#6 of 8 Old 07-10-2003, 08:39 PM

By the way there are lots of books with breastfeeding/AP, check out this link:

http://216.92.20.151/discussions/sho...827#post689827

But please, creative and loving Mamas, write more! Illustrate more!

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#7 of 8 Old 07-10-2003, 11:47 PM

Join www.scbwi.org, the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators. Get involved in one of their local critique groups. I've published eight books of historical fiction for 2nd-8th grade, but no longer work for that company (and the project is gone, gone, gone...sniff). But good luck to you!
#8 of 8 Old 07-11-2003, 01:30 AM

My FIL has been writing a novel for years....a fantasy trilogy....
and has been turned down numerous times by publishing
companies! He's almost got his foot in the door and he's going
to be famous one day!

point is....never give up NEVER!

(moving this to the books forum now)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page