'Valley of the Dolls' vs. Jane Green's 'Babyville' - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-15-2007, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
JnB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I picked up a copy of Jane Green's 'Babyville' (2003) at a library book sale (c'mon, it's summer! : ) There I also got a copy of 'Jaccueline Susann's Shadow of the Dolls'. Before I read 'Shadow' I wanted to reread 'Valley of the Dolls' (1966).
I started 'Valley' last night after I finished 'Babyville'. I was immediately struck by the similarity that both Susann and Green separated their novels into sections of the 3 main girl characters. Green does one big section for each of the 3 girls, Susann does many sections for her 3 girls.
At first I just figured Susann may be a huge influence for current "chick-lit" authors. She was rather revolutionary.
Then I read a single sentence in 'Valley' that sent me skimming 'Babyville'. Halfway through Anne's first section of the book ('Valley') she and Helen Lawson are at a club and go into the ladies room. They chat, reapply makeup and dish on their new men and Helen says, "We better be getting back. They'll think we fell in".
About 110 pgs into Maeve's section of "Babyville' Maeve and her mother Viv are in a ladies room at a restaurant. They chat, reapply makeup and dish on Maeve's new man and Meave says, "Come on, Mark will think we've fallen in the toilet".
Is Green simply paying homage to Sussan?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2007, 04:34 PM

I dunno. People around here say that phrase all the time. It is kind of in the vernacular. It is possible she is paying homage. It is possible that she doesn't know where the phrase originated. It is possible that it is an all out rip off. Hard to know...

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
Old 08-15-2007, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
JnB

I know, it's hard to say. That's why I was curious of others opinions. Phrases that are part of the everyday vernacular still seem questionable (and get questioned!) when paired also with previously similar settings...
If it was just one similarity, no prob! It just hit my radar with the style of the book and the setting for when the phrase was said (both times). So, for me it was the book layout, phrase and setting.

User Tag List