Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough but is there a mystery book club here? TIA
#2 of 31 Old 10-18-2007, 06:57 AM

The book club forum is still pretty new, you are more than welcome to start a mystery book club if you wish.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#3 of 31 Old 11-07-2007, 04:28 PM

I'm not very familiar with the mystery genre, so I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I really enjoyed The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
#4 of 31 Old 11-07-2007, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Kate Wilhelm has a great series of mysteries that I just loved.
#5 of 31 Old 12-28-2007, 10:56 PM

Anything by Karin Slaughter is great. Iris Johansen is good too but shes kind of a mystery romance.

Wife of a Coastie, Mom to Rylin, Alden, Carden and Thumper coming Octoberstork-suprise.gifbfinfant.gifdp_femalesling.GIFsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifhomebirth.jpgribbonpink.gifHelping my mom fight breast cancer.

#6 of 31 Old 01-04-2008, 12:56 AM

I've just recently started reading some mysteries. I've enjoyed the Booked to Die books (there are a few titles) by John Dunning.

Ugh- I can't recall the title and author of another group I've enjoyed. I'll post back if it comes to mind.
#7 of 31 Old 01-04-2008, 01:20 AM

Harlan Coben is my favorite mystery writer. I loved all of his stand alone novels, as well as his Myron Bolitar series (which are very witty). He has a passion for family and moral questions which are always the intertwining threads in his stories. Unfortunately, I have read all of his books (next one doesn't come out until April) - so I would appreciate knowing what mystery books/ authors anyone else can recommend.
#8 of 31 Old 01-04-2008, 04:19 PM

ooh, read the Amelia Peabody mysteries by Elizabeth Peters! The first one is Crocodile on the Sandbank. Her characters are so great that I find myself wishing they were real people.
#9 of 31 Old 01-12-2008, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes all the Elizabeth Peter's books- the Amelia Peabody series - Archaeologists about 1880's she is an independent woman who - has an intense husband Emmerson and outrageous master criminal admirer, Sethos, as well as a genus son Ramses that is home schooled (I might add) ---
--- she also has a Vicki Bliss series Vicki is more contemporary- Vicki works at a museum and has mystery, adventures that are about art theives and historic treasures-- again a bad boy love interest

as Barbara Michaels she writes gothic romance/often with mysteries...

-------------------
Dorothy Gillman - Mrs Pollifax series , a grandma with nothing interesting to do goes and offers her services to the CIA- many adventures in the middle east, far east, Africa,Mexico...

---------------
if you like adventure and mystery Clive Cussler - Dirk Pit novels a car collecting, sea-going American cross between James Bond and McGyver
------ --
Laurie R King has written a series Starting with the Beekeepers Apprentice - Mary Russell- a young woman who - meets up with Sherlock Holmes and forges a lasting relationship --- she also has a contemporary Kate Martinelli
-------
Charlaine Harris-- Grave Sight, Grave Surprise, Ice Cold Grave
#10 of 31 Old 01-13-2008, 11:16 AM

For mystery I don't think you can go wrong with Agatha Christie - she's a classic for a reason! I also like P.D. James and J.D. Robb.

Lisa ~ wife to Daniel ~ mama to Claire, born July 2009 (IVF baby!)
#11 of 31 Old 01-14-2008, 09:26 AM

I'm going to move this out to books since it's more about mystery book recs than about any particular book. If you'd like to start a mystery book club at some point, feel free!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#12 of 31 Old 01-14-2008, 09:31 AM

My favorite mystery writers are Sue Grafton alphabet series and Lillian Jackson Braun The Cat Who series.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#13 of 31 Old 01-14-2008, 03:11 PM

Just finished reading "A Free Man of Color" by Barbara Hambley. Fascinating look at 1830's New Orleans society as well as a mystery with a clever twist.
#14 of 31 Old 01-14-2008, 07:09 PM

JD Robb is actually Nora Roberts (romance novels) writing under a different name.

I love Sue Grafton, Iris Johanson, (now I'm drawing a blank)... I just finish "Gone Baby Gone" and loved it! I can't wait until it comes out to see the movie. I think it will be very interesting to see how they show things.

I also just finished one, will have to look up the name, but basically her family was murdered 20 years ago and now she is grown up and works as a CSI and one day gets a note that her mom called. That was very good. Again I can't remember the name..sorry
#15 of 31 Old 01-14-2008, 07:21 PM

I second "A Free Man of Color" The whole series is really good.

And if you like historical fiction (and even if you don't) run right to the library for "The Beekeeper's Apprentice" by Laurie King. In which a peacefully retired Sherlock Holmes meets up with a 15-yo girl who is his intellectual match. If you like it, there's a whole series featuring the two of them.
#16 of 31 Old 01-14-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e(Lisa)beth View Post
For mystery I don't think you can go wrong with Agatha Christie - she's a classic for a reason! I also like P.D. James and J.D. Robb.
Ten Little Indians, Agatha Christie.

The. Best.

I read it as a kid and was just thinking about it last night in a dream. I never read other's of hers...maybe you have some recommendations?

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#17 of 31 Old 01-14-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jul511riv View Post

The. Best.

I read it as a kid and was just thinking about it last night in a dream. I never read other's of hers...maybe you have some recommendations?
I particularly enjoy stories involving Miss Marple, Tommy and Tuppence, Mr. Prine, or Harley Quinn.
#18 of 31 Old 01-14-2008, 07:55 PM

Charlotte Macleod (aka Alisa Craig) nice cozy mysteries.
#19 of 31 Old 01-15-2008, 01:02 AM

Dennis Lehane's Patrick Kenzie series. (This is what the movie, GONE BABY GONE was based on) Lehane also wrote MYSTIC RIVER, but these are his first books. Book 1 is called A DRINK BEFORE THE WAR, and it's good, but book 2 (and you can start with 2 and not be lost) is DARKNESS, TAKE MY HAND and it is so good, in an incredibly scary way. Very, very, very dark. But great action and great repartee and tension with his best friend/female partner.
#20 of 31 Old 01-28-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jul511riv View Post

The. Best.

Sorry for the delay in responding!

I don't think I've ever read a Christie I didn't like, but two of my favorites are Sleeping Murder (a Miss Marple story) and The ABC Murders (a Poirot story).

Lisa ~ wife to Daniel ~ mama to Claire, born July 2009 (IVF baby!)
#21 of 31 Old 01-28-2008, 08:19 PM

I'm very picky when it comes to mysteries--don't like anything too postmodern.

I'm a devoted fan of George Simenon's Maigret series. They're deliciously French in the same sort of way that Agatha Christie is so English.

Also, all the Maigret novels are short, so a pretty quick read--which is good because once I get sucked in, I can't stop reading, so better that the book doesn't go on for too long! There's tons of them, but they're out of print, so easier to find in used bookstores (and cheap too usually).

I'm subscribing and I'll request a few of the books mentioned on this thread from my library!
#22 of 31 Old 01-28-2008, 10:31 PM

I'm surprised nobody has yet mentioned the Cadfael series by Ellis Peters.
#23 of 31 Old 01-30-2008, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
nevada barr's series is wonderful, about a national park ranger named anna pigeon
#24 of 31 Old 01-31-2008, 01:09 PM

I have enjoyed some mysteries by PD James. Not all...but some.
#25 of 31 Old 02-01-2008, 03:01 AM

I read "The Circular Staircase" today, it was great! Very suspenseful and complex. Thanks for recommending it!
#26 of 31 Old 02-01-2008, 04:29 AM

I'm actually taking a British Detective Fiction class this semester. We're reading:

A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare by G.K. Chesterton
Trent's Last Case by E.C. Bentley
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
Murder Must Advertise by Dorothy Sayers
A Taste for Death by P.D. James
The Falls by Ian Rankin
and
Case Histories by Kate Atkinson

I'd also recommend:
A Samba for Sherlock by Jô Soares

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#27 of 31 Old 02-01-2008, 08:17 AM

oooo forgot about Chesterton. Sounds like a fun class
#28 of 31 Old 02-01-2008, 02:05 PM

I started a thread trying to start a discussion of mysteries and got 0 replies. Or at least that's what I remember--maybe I got one or two.

My taste (in mysteries) runs to P.D. James, Ruth Rendell, and my current favorite Peter Lovesey.

A couple of years ago I decided to read all the Agatha Christies I could get my hands on. Most were very good but she did have her uneven moments.

I have enjoyed Janet Evanovich as she is good for a laugh, and also like the novels that are marginally mysteries like James Ellroy's and Daniel Woodrell's.

There is a writer who sets mysteries in contemporary Appalachia who sounds very interesting and I've been meaning to check her stuff out by haven't got around to it. Right now I can't think of her name.

I can't recommend Peter Lovesey enough. I just finished "Rough Cider" and it was a perfect quick-read mystery that really did surprise and was amusing too.
#29 of 31 Old 02-01-2008, 03:07 PM

Oh, I adore Murder Must Advertise by Dorothy Sayers.

Not that you have to fit this description to enjoy it, but if you are at all bookish, fond of things British and delighted by witty dialogue and literary allusions, this is the book for you.
#30 of 31 Old 02-05-2008, 03:34 PM

Adding to my previous post that the name of the writer who sets her mysteries in contemporary Appalachia is Sharyn McCrumb. And though I've never read anything by her I've heard only the best things about her and want to get one soon. I forgot to add that I read nearly everything Elizabeth George wrote and then suddenly burned out on her.

I am reading a Carl Hiaasen book right now that may be more aptly described as a "romp" that involves murder as they're not terribly mysterious. Reading one is basically enjoying the roundabout way the bad guys get their comeuppance which they invariably will.

I do like the medieval series too but haven't read one in a while.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page