juno - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 199 Old 01-15-2008, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzepplon View Post
It was like she went from being smart and savvy to being kind of jerky and unable to gauge the social setting.
So she was a teenager? Not being able to gauge the social setting is the teenager equivalent of not having an indoor voice or not realizing that this isn't the right time to describe what your poopy looks like.
#62 of 199 Old 01-16-2008, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Of course the birth moment was a little ruined for me by the immature audience members who "Eeeeewww"ed when the baby was born covered in vernix and blood.
I have not seen the movie but I've been told the baby is born, umm, circumcised. That seems a little amazing to me since all the births I've ever witnessed had the males born with intact foreskins.

Hollywood!
So since they went through all the trouble to cover the baby w/ fake verix you'd think they'd either get an intact baby or create a little prosthetic or something.

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

#63 of 199 Old 01-16-2008, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Nurse View Post
I have not seen the movie but I've been told the baby is born, umm, circumcised. That seems a little amazing to me since all the births I've ever witnessed had the males born with intact foreskins.

Hollywood!
omgosh heehee! and also
#64 of 199 Old 01-16-2008, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
So she was a teenager? Not being able to gauge the social setting is the teenager equivalent of not having an indoor voice or not realizing that this isn't the right time to describe what your poopy looks like.
I was 27 when I first went into a rich subdivision-type perfect looking house (my now inlaws!) It made me feel and act strange and uncomfortable. I smelled their fancy soaps and pondered their show-towels. That's what I was seeing there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Nurse View Post

Hollywood!
So since they went through all the trouble to cover the baby w/ fake verix you'd think they'd either get an intact baby or create a little prosthetic or something.
I'll just pretend he was born with hypospadias like my son--who totlly looks circ'ed.
#65 of 199 Old 01-16-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I felt that the scene with Juno meeting the prospective adoptive parents was a little off. It was like she went from being smart and savvy to being kind of jerky and unable to gauge the social setting. It didn't seem in keeping with her character.
That scene made me a little uncomfortable but I think that's what they were looking for. Over all, I loved the movie.

There are three things I learned about life. It goes on. -Longfellow

stillheart.gifRIP DH DJ Delicious but mucho gracias for our children and all I have learnedstillheart.gif

#66 of 199 Old 01-16-2008, 02:16 PM

Oh, I loved this movie. I can't believe Kimya is here! I have just spent an hour looking her up on myspace & youtube... the soundtrack to this movie was amaaaaazing, & even though I LOVED the movie so much, it would not have been nearly as good with different music.

I loved Juno. It is one of the few movies where I can say I would not change a thing. Although in some ways I would've liked her to make a different choice at the end, it would not have been true to her character. She was independent & certain of her choices from the beginning.

I loved how her dad & stepmom did not scream at her, or freak out. They were just like, well... & gave her her options. Her dad shook his head & you could tell that made her as sad as if he had yelled & screamed for hours.

I knew Jason Bateman was in this movie, & I still watched it for about 45 minutes before I realized, hey, THAT is him.
#67 of 199 Old 01-17-2008, 02:04 AM

Ohmygod... Not to gush or anything, but, well, hell, I will. I looooved Juno. My sisters and I went to see it on Christmas Day, but there was a bomb threat at the movie theater and we had to come back the next day (totally weird and random, I know). Then on the ride home we talked about the movie and the music and my little sister was talking all about The Moldy Peaches and Kimya Dawson and I felt so out of the scene...I'm not that old.

Then, just last week, my husband was making me watch post-coital campaign videos and I fell asleep during Hillary after Obama and Edwards. He woke me up awhile later all excited because he'd just downloaded "Anyone Else But You" for me. Sometimes he gets it soooo right.

Can't believe I didn't know Kimya is an MDC mama. You rock!

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#68 of 199 Old 01-17-2008, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
I don't know . . . I was a teenager once, and I don't remember anyone I knew acting quite like that. Of course she's a fictional character, and quite a unique one, but it just didn't jive quite right with me.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#69 of 199 Old 01-17-2008, 02:53 AM

Quote:
I don't know . . . I was a teenager once, and I don't remember anyone I knew acting quite like that. Of course she's a fictional character, and quite a unique one, but it just didn't jive quite right with me.
I thought it was totally right on. She's only really smart and savvy when talking to other teenagers. That's when she gets all her really good zingers in. But the film was a really honest portrayal, I think, of what it is to be both smart, savvy, and totally unprepared to wrestle with the real world.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#70 of 199 Old 01-17-2008, 04:03 PM

DH and I saw it last week and LOOVED it!! Awesome movie! I was laughing and crying throughout the whole movie!

Sarah. Wife to Pearry, mama to Pearry II and Isabella Rose, born Breech at home and Benjamin, our January 1st bebe intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpg

#71 of 199 Old 01-21-2008, 02:09 AM

I just saw this tonight and reallly enjoyed it. How Cool about hte soundtrack featuriing an MDC mom. My sister and I were loving the music. We were all "We have to get this" haha.
#72 of 199 Old 01-21-2008, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter

the soundtrack is truly fantastic. it has been in our cd player since it arrived.

you all can catch kimya on the view tomorrow performing the song "anyone else but you" with her band moldy peaches (adam green).

it will be so awesome to have a breastfeeding, cloth diapering, all around awesome mama doing her thing on that show! check her out if you get a chance!
:
#73 of 199 Old 01-21-2008, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isulari View Post
the soundtrack is truly fantastic. it has been in our cd player since it arrived.

you all can catch kimya on the view tomorrow performing the song "anyone else but you" with her band moldy peaches (adam green).

it will be so awesome to have a breastfeeding, cloth diapering, all around awesome mama doing her thing on that show! check her out if you get a chance!
:
oh I wish I had TV!
#74 of 199 Old 01-21-2008, 07:56 PM

Loved it! I'm a big Diablo Cody fan (not her real name, BTW...it's something wonderfully normal...Brooke) and her book about stripping is pretty interesting. She's my secret girl crush
#75 of 199 Old 01-21-2008, 08:26 PM

I saw it yesterday with a friend and I'm SOOO glad she invited me! It was a great movie! Yes, I agree that sometimes it didn't seem right that Juno was SO smart/wise-cracking but it made the movie so good! And it's not a documentary so I don't expect it to be a "real" portrayal of teens anyway. I LOVED the decision at the end. We still saw Juno wrestle with it while she was driving and crying BUT I liked that she decided to give the baby to Vanessa anyway because she realized how much Vanessa wanted to be a mom and would be a good mom and that her baby would still be loved and well cared for even if Jason Bateman's character wasn't there. I think I would have been really disappointed if she had decided not to give Vanessa the baby - but more because I'd be seeing it as a commentary on single mamas not being "good enough" to raise kids, even if they have the means and desire to.

I oooo loved the music and I cried when Juno and Bleeker were singing and playing guitar together. The lyrics to that song especially got to me.

One by one the days are slipping up behind you ~ One by one the sweetest days of life go by :
-Woodie Guthrie
#76 of 199 Old 01-21-2008, 08:34 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscuitBaby View Post
I think what made this movie so different was that Juno decided to put the baby up for adoption on her own.
Haven't seen the movie, but.......nothing happens in a vacuum. Any choices we make that we think are our "own" are still heavily influenced by the society and times in which we live.

Dh wanted to see this, but I can't watch a movie that ends with adoption, either.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#77 of 199 Old 01-21-2008, 10:08 PM

I thought it was a great & heartfelt movie. The twist @ the end really did surprise me.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#78 of 199 Old 01-21-2008, 10:14 PM

Saw it today for my "girls afternoon out" which I needed so very, very badly.

My first thought was "Is this how teenagers talk these days? I feel SO OLD!"

I loved the movie though, it was great.

It made me miss my homestate of Minnesota too.

And of course, loved Kimya's music.

The Jason Bateman character reminded me of my ex-boyfriend, the one I thought I was going to marry. It also reminded me why I am so glad I didn't marry him.

I cried and the birth scene was difficult for me (because of birth trauma related ptsd) and I think my friend who was sitting next to me (and has no children yet) thought I was weird for sobbing during it. Oh well.

All in all I loved the movie, a lot!!!
#79 of 199 Old 01-22-2008, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post
Haven't seen the movie, but.......nothing happens in a vacuum. Any choices we make that we think are our "own" are still heavily influenced by the society and times in which we live.

Dh wanted to see this, but I can't watch a movie that ends with adoption, either.
Yeah, that.
#80 of 199 Old 01-22-2008, 03:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amylizpat View Post
Loved it! I'm a big Diablo Cody fan (not her real name, BTW...it's something wonderfully normal...Brooke) and her book about stripping is pretty interesting. She's my secret girl crush
"Candy Girl"

I've read it, too...actually, it's sitting on my bookshelf and just caught my eye earlier today...I didn't realize she wrote this movie.

Now I want to see it even more (especially given that I was a young mom who chose to place my baby for adoption--gosh, that was 12 years ago now).
#81 of 199 Old 01-22-2008, 03:47 PM

I love this movie!!!!! I've seen it 4 times now and it just keeps getting better. I'm obsessed with the soundtrack! I can't believe Kimya is an MDC mama! My sister and I can't stop singing loose lips!
#82 of 199 Old 01-22-2008, 04:30 PM

Juno is nominated for several Oscars. Well done, it was a fantastic movie.
#83 of 199 Old 01-22-2008, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I saw it last night and it was awesome!

Quote:
It was awesome to hear what Juno's dad said to her after she had given birth to her baby.
Totally.

I was a teen mom who chose to keep the baby. This movie was still incredible. Juno was pregnant, didn't want a baby at this point in her life, so she found someone who did want one.

I don't get all this not supporting adoption stuff. People would probably have supported her if she'd had an abortion. It's her "choice," right? Juno chose adoption.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#84 of 199 Old 01-22-2008, 08:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
I don't get all this not supporting adoption stuff. People would probably have supported her if she'd had an abortion. It's her "choice," right? Juno chose adoption.
Me neither. Hypothetically speaking since this is a movie, what part of the adoption is unethical? The situation shifted and the characters did too. That is life. Where is the problem?
#85 of 199 Old 01-22-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthesmilingone View Post
Me neither. Hypothetically speaking since this is a movie, what part of the adoption is unethical? The situation shifted and the characters did too. That is life. Where is the problem?
I dont think many people have a problem wiht her choice to adopt - I think its more thats its a triggering subject for some of us for various reason.

I could be wrong and would like to hear from others on the matter too...
#86 of 199 Old 01-22-2008, 10:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by barose View Post
I dont think many people have a problem wiht her choice to adopt - I think its more thats its a triggering subject for some of us for various reason.

That makes sense then. I will admit to wondering how far from the days of sending an unwed teen (or older of fill in the blank!) to-be mom away and literally taking the baby from her we are. In the fictional case of Juno, the driving force behind the adoption was Juno herself. It would be tough to argue it was an uninformed adoption choice. And that is what is keeps coming down to- informed consent of the pregnant person based on whatever criteria she wants with no undue pressure from the outside.
#87 of 199 Old 01-22-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barose View Post

Well, this may be kind of controversial, but for me, I don't like the movie b/c I feel it glamourizes adoption. I feel like teens should be encouraged to keep their babies, not give them up-although I do definitely support the choice of a teen who knows all her options and gives up her baby because she wants to, not because she has to. I feel like there should be more programs out to help teens keep their babies, not programs encouraging adoption. I don't have a problem with adoption when it is necessary, but I think biological families should always be kept together whenever possible, even if it means they will have some help from social programs and welfare.

FWIW I am NOT anti-adoption, just so you know, and my opinions aren't meant to attack adoptive parents or adoptive mothers. Adoption is necessary in some cases.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#88 of 199 Old 01-22-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
I don't think that adoption should be a choice, personally. The ramifications for children and their natural parents are too great.

I also don't think that the way we in the United States practice adoption allows it to be a free and informed choice, so I think the movie is painting a dangerously unrealistic picture of adoption -- glamorizing it, if you will.

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#89 of 199 Old 01-22-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelpie545 View Post
Well, this may be kind of controversial, but for me, I don't like the movie b/c I feel it glamourizes adoption.
We must have been posting at the same time. :-)

Though I am anti-adoption and do not believe it is ever necessary.

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#90 of 199 Old 01-22-2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelpie545 View Post
Well, this may be kind of controversial, but for me, I don't like the movie b/c I feel it glamourizes adoption. I feel like teens should be encouraged to keep their babies, not give them up-although I do definitely support the choice of a teen who knows all her options and gives up her baby because she wants to, not because she has to. I feel like there should be more programs out to help teens keep their babies, not programs encouraging adoption. I don't have a problem with adoption when it is necessary, but I think biological families should always be kept together whenever possible, even if it means they will have some help from social programs and welfare.

FWIW I am NOT anti-adoption, just so you know, and my opinions aren't meant to attack adoptive parents or adoptive mothers. Adoption is necessary in some cases.
:

i have a problem with adoption in the case of teen/single parents being glamorized and deemed the "norm" and "responsible" thing to do. we can say all we want that it was all her but that just isn't the case- society pushes on teen/single moms that adoption is the reasonable and responsible thing to do if you really love your baby. we don't need more movies pushing that.

i respect anyone's choice to put their baby up for adoption. i'd just like to see moms who chose to keep their baby get as much positive light as the ones who chose the "right" path of adoption.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page