I Am Legend? (Will Smith) Warning spoilers have been added - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 111 Old 12-23-2007, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just posted about this in talk amongest ourselves until I heard there was this thread already. I just got back from the IMAX theater - my first time seeing a movie since ds was born - 18 months ago. I am extremely sensitive to movies like this - the kind that make you think of horrible and possible things happening to our human race and then drags you through all the emotions of it actually happening to people. I never felt so sad for a character. One blow after another, none of which I could ever imagine living through...I wanted to commit suicide for him at times and then other times I was like, "dude, you gotta stay alive, stay strong, don't lose it, come on..."

I liked two points about it. One being that WE are the test subjects for vaccines/cures/treatments and WE don't really know what the F*** we are putting into our bodies and our children's or what effects it may have short term or long term. This crap is so incredibly possible. I like the part in the news report he had on tivo that they mention the doctor/scientist who invented the "wonderful" cure for cancer and causing the whole damned thing. Viruses DO mutate obviously. When used in combination with all the crap they put into vaccines, they can also cause behavioral changes in people. This is not far off. We are not protected either. Our governments and scientists are ALSO not aware of the possibilities nor care enough to protect the public's well being.

Point two, I liked the idea that at the worst times, we can be reminded that there must be a God. And that sacrifice is a part of his gift to us when it seems he isn't real. I like that the movie included the idea of not losing faith completely. That is a struggle for so many people in different religions for different reasons and regardless of what you believe personally, many of us need to trust there is a greater being than ourselves and we are not without a good God.

I don't know what else to say. It was deep for me. And Dh. I think I even heard him crying a little, but I didn't ask...he'd deny it anyway. How sad and how brave and strong of Will Smith's character to live the way he did under the circumstances.

No spoilers. You gotta go see it.

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 111 Old 12-23-2007, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2tatum View Post
I just posted about this in talk amongest ourselves until I heard there was this thread already. I just got back from the IMAX theater - my first time seeing a movie since ds was born - 18 months ago. I am extremely sensitive to movies like this - the kind that make you think of horrible and possible things happening to our human race and then drags you through all the emotions of it actually happening to people. I never felt so sad for a character. One blow after another, none of which I could ever imagine living through...I wanted to commit suicide for him at times and then other times I was like, "dude, you gotta stay alive, stay strong, don't lose it, come on..."

I liked two points about it. One being that WE are the test subjects for vaccines/cures/treatments and WE don't really know what the F*** we are putting into our bodies and our children's or what effects it may have short term or long term. This crap is so incredibly possible. I like the part in the news report he had on tivo that they mention the doctor/scientist who invented the "wonderful" cure for cancer and causing the whole damned thing. Viruses DO mutate obviously. When used in combination with all the crap they put into vaccines, they can also cause behavioral changes in people. This is not far off. We are not protected either. Our governments and scientists are ALSO not aware of the possibilities nor care enough to protect the public's well being.

Point two, I liked the idea that at the worst times, we can be reminded that there must be a God. And that sacrifice is a part of his gift to us when it seems he isn't real. I like that the movie included the idea of not losing faith completely. That is a struggle for so many people in different religions for different reasons and regardless of what you believe personally, many of us need to trust there is a greater being than ourselves and we are not without a good God.

I don't know what else to say. It was deep for me. And Dh. I think I even heard him crying a little, but I didn't ask...he'd deny it anyway. How sad and how brave and strong of Will Smith's character to live the way he did under the circumstances.

No spoilers. You gotta go see it.
Thanks! Very interesting! Unfortunately, I will have to wait for the DVD, can't really take the kids to this one.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#33 of 111 Old 12-23-2007, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthesmilingone View Post
But what the heck, I enjoyed the entertainment and scare value of the movie

Funny, the water pressure thing didn't even occur to me. I loved the movie, but after the fact, of course, I could see all the flaws. Some of them were easy to overlook or not care about, but some made me wonder what the filmmakers were thinking.

Warning :: Spoiler Ahead! Highlight to read message!
One my husband brought up was how the man at the end was bashing against the safety glass, cracking through, and his head was not suffering any wear or tear. You'd think his skull would at least be a little bashed in or battered. I mean bone is still bone.

I thought all the generators and his use of electricity seemed excessive, but I was willing to overlook that.

If Anna was out waiting for him all day, why in the hell didn't she get out of there when it was dark. Or maybe she did, but then saw his car. I dunno.

My biggest issue was with the infected. They hated him and were driven to destroy him and get to him at all costs. They orchestrated traps and were working together, but they were still rage filled enough to just want to tear him to shreds without even trying to communicate with him, and without regard to their personal safety in some situations. Was it just some sort of feeding frenzy? Or did they see him as an enemy to be destroyed? I thought it might be because he kidnapped the woman, and it was just the one guy leading them all. Yet he didn't run through the one little band of setting sun to get to the wounded Neville, although at other times they went into the sun and then ran back. Eh, maybe I'm over thinking it, but it seemed to make more sense in the book and other movies based on the book.

What did they normally eat? They killed the deer, but they didn't seem to kill each other much, and they weren't just ripping through empty stores and houses, laying waste to them. The relatively intact stores and apartments they showed seem evidence of this. They just went and got the mannequin and moved it somewhere else to trick Neville, and they set a similar trap to one he had used. But then they basically just wanted to rip through his house and get him, like mindless killing machines. Was it because he was kidnapping them to experiment on them with his cure? It was hard to tell. I kind of felt that whole last scene where they were swarming his house was a bit of a letdown because it just seemed like typical horror movie kind of stuff, where it was the imagery more than the substance that was important.

#34 of 111 Old 12-23-2007, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post
Funny, the water pressure thing didn't even occur to me. I loved the movie, but after the fact, of course, I could see all the flaws. Some of them were easy to overlook or not care about, but some made me wonder what the filmmakers were thinking.

One my husband brought up was how the man at the end was bashing against the safety glass, cracking through, and his head was not suffering any wear or tear. You'd think his skull would at least be a little bashed in or battered. I mean bone is still bone.

I thought all the generators and his use of electricity seemed excessive, but I was willing to overlook that.

If Anna was out waiting for him all day, why in the hell didn't she get out of there when it was dark. Or maybe she did, but then saw his car. I dunno.

My biggest issue was with the infected. They hated him and were driven to destroy him and get to him at all costs. They orchestrated traps and were working together, but they were still rage filled enough to just want to tear him to shreds without even trying to communicate with him, and without regard to their personal safety in some situations. Was it just some sort of feeding frenzy? Or did they see him as an enemy to be destroyed? I thought it might be because he kidnapped the woman, and it was just the one guy leading them all. Yet he didn't run through the one little band of setting sun to get to the wounded Neville, although at other times they went into the sun and then ran back. Eh, maybe I'm over thinking it, but it seemed to make more sense in the book and other movies based on the book.

What did they normally eat? They killed the deer, but they didn't seem to kill each other much, and they weren't just ripping through empty stores and houses, laying waste to them. The relatively intact stores and apartments they showed seem evidence of this. They just went and got the mannequin and moved it somewhere else to trick Neville, and they set a similar trap to one he had used. But then they basically just wanted to rip through his house and get him, like mindless killing machines. Was it because he was kidnapping them to experiment on them with his cure? It was hard to tell. I kind of felt that whole last scene where they were swarming his house was a bit of a letdown because it just seemed like typical horror movie kind of stuff, where it was the imagery more than the substance that was important.

That was his trap that he fell into, not one the infected set! They were not that smart, just hungry.[/spoiler]

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

#35 of 111 Old 12-23-2007, 09:40 PM

I just saw this film last night, and really want to add some questions that might fill in some gaps for me....how in the world do you use those "spoiler tag" things?
#36 of 111 Old 12-23-2007, 11:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLotus View Post
I just saw this film last night, and really want to add some questions that might fill in some gaps for me....how in the world do you use those "spoiler tag" things?
[spoiler.]

delete this text and write your own, making sure there is no space between the tags and the first and last letter. get rid of the period in the first tag too

[/spoiler]
#37 of 111 Old 12-23-2007, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

mom2tatum the maniquin
Actually they did set a trap for him the manquin was in front of the movie store they moved it in front of the library to make him think that he was going nuts. That is why he was having such a hard time and shot the maniquin because he couldnt figure out how it got there.

iamthesmilingone on the blood thing
His computers were on the other side of the glass he couldnt get to them to give her one, he could have kept one in the inclosure but I guess he figured if his subject escaped it would be destroyed anyway.
As for the water pressure. He had access to everything there in the city and he was a genius so I can see him being able to figure out a way to keep the water pressure going.

Valkyrie9
They were not firing on the helecopters at all they were just firing on the bridges. The 2 helecopters crashed together killing his wife and child. When the military sets a time for a operation like that they do it regardless of who is in the way especially in this case were the consequenses of someone getting across without being tested were so high. Tho it made no difference in the end.

My feeling is that the infected were starting to develope past their aggression. In the begining the infected were feeding on the ones that were not infected. They also caught animals to live off of. I think they were starting to run in packs as shown by the fact that that one male pushed the others out of the way to get to Neville. I am 99% sure that the female he caught was the leaders mate making him expose himself to sunlight and howl. They were starting to evolve.

On the bridge he was getting revenge for all he had lost along with ending it for himself. The woman was waiting to see what happened IMHO because rushing out there with all those creatures would have been crazy even with her light protection. Once most of them had been eleminated the risk was smaller.

{To read a spoiler hold your left mouse button down and go across the black area.)

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#38 of 111 Old 12-24-2007, 02:45 AM

Quote:
My feeling is that the infected were starting to develope past their aggression. In the begining the infected were feeding on the ones that were not infected. They also caught animals to live off of. I think they were starting to run in packs as shown by the fact that that one male pushed the others out of the way to get to Neville. I am 99% sure that the female he caught was the leaders mate making him expose himself to sunlight and howl. They were starting to evolve.
I thought so, too, and really wish this would have been explored more. It would make for a smarter movie.

Also,
I was bothered by the ending - specifically, that he sacrificed himself. I mean, there was room behind the iron door for him. Why didn't he just throw the darned grenade and get behind the door? It seemed pretty contrived, although perhaps that's the way the book ends.

I was really impressed with the way that Will Smith played capable but always hovering on the brink of insanity.

#39 of 111 Old 12-24-2007, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
Also,
I was bothered by the ending - specifically, that he sacrificed himself. I mean, there was room behind the iron door for him. Why didn't he just throw the darned grenade and get behind the door? It seemed pretty contrived, although perhaps that's the way the book ends.

I got the feeling that
he really didn't want to go on. He had been holding on for Sam, and to find the cure, and that's about it. I think that losing Sam, his last link to his family, pushed him over the edge. Once he realized that the cure had been found, there was no reason for him to continue. Also, though he could have fit behind the door there's no guarantee that the mutants couldn't have broken through somehow. By using the genade to destroy the place, he probably saved Anna and Ethan - and the precious cure.

I loved this movie. But as an emotional pregnant lady, it was very hard to handle in places. The poor teenage boy sitting next to me (the theater was completely packed for opening night when we went, so he was stuck in that seat) looked very uncomfortable when I was openly sobbing at one certain part. You all know which one.
#40 of 111 Old 12-24-2007, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

The ending
He told Anna that if he got in there to they (the affected) wouldnt give up. So he felt strongly that if he got in there to it would have ment the death of all 3 of them. He could have thrown the granade but I dont think there would have been time to get into there with them. Not to mention he had to wait for the glass to be broken completly to insure he killed them all. Since it was bullet proof the ones in the back would have likely survived and they would have tried to dig them out

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#41 of 111 Old 12-24-2007, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
Skip the movie and read Matheson's book if you really want to know what I Am Legend is supposed to be like.
I really enjoyed the book. The book doesnt have a happy ending...so I wanted to see the movie to see how they would end it.

~Shannon~ Proud Mama of 3 girls, ages 7,4, and 2.
#42 of 111 Old 12-24-2007, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imogen View Post
I am planning to go and see this film next weekend. But I'm really worried about the dog in the film. I can't stomach films when something bad happens to animals.

But I so want to see it.

Peace
OMG- me too ! don't hurt the animals... dammit !!

when I watched Narnia for the 1st time... I almost stopped when Aslan let himself murdered

Quote:
How was working with the dog?

Francis Lawrence: “The dog was fantastic. The dog--that was Abbey, and Steve Berens is the trainer. We all wanted a German Shepherd and he sent me some pictures. I saw some German Shepherds that he had trained, but their faces were very dark and I wanted a dog that felt a little friendlier. So he went searching and he found a dog, a two year old German Shepherd at a rescue, which was Abbey. She had never been trained, never worked in film before, and he only had a couple of months. So he started working with her, introduced her to Will, and I had to say she was fantastic.”Akiva Goldsman: “Tell the story about petting.”

Francis Lawrence: “Oh yeah. There was a rule on set that nobody could interact with her other than the trainer and Will. And that was so that, everybody was dying to pet her because she was the most beautiful, friendly dog that I had ever seen, but nobody could touch her, except Alice told me today that she touched her all the time.”

Alice Braga: “I read an interview and I was like, ‘Oh my god, the guy never stopped me!’”

Francis Lawrence: “But what was great was when she was finally wrapped, and you know when an actor wraps, the crew gathers around. She was finally wrapped and it was the one day that everybody could finally go and pet her. And she was very excited that she got all that attention from everybody that she had been dying for.”

Akiva Goldsman: “She's a star.”
http://movies.about.com/od/iamlegend...nd120707_2.htm

is that cool or what ??

::::

all of us, German Shep owners esp those of us that rescue, foster & rehab discarded critters.... it's a proud time !!

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#43 of 111 Old 12-24-2007, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfThePride View Post
I would like to know more about the movie. Like what the heck is the story line? I'd like to know what kind of sad things and scary things happen so I can prepare myself, b/c I do want to see it, but not if it's really bad.

Like I regret watching Pan's Labrynth - good movie, but lots of horrible things happen, and I'm mad at the person who recommended it to me.

OK, so waiting for PMs.
You didn't like Pan's Labyrinth? I thought that was such a good movie, a little too violent in some places, but so very different from the 'mainstream' films we have out these days

Peace
#44 of 111 Old 12-24-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
mom2tatum the maniquin
Actually they did set a trap for him the manquin was in front of the movie store they moved it in front of the library to make him think that he was going nuts. That is why he was having such a hard time and shot the maniquin because he couldnt figure out how it got there.
about the trap with Fred...
They did not set that trap! I have to admit that I thought that at first for a second, though. But then realized he had been setting traps like this all the time most likely (remember how he caught the female?) most likely using dummies as bait, like Fred, added a little blood, the rope, the car, etc. He started going crazy because he thought he saw his head move, remember? THats why he freeked out because he didn't know if he believed what he saw...but, yes, he absolutely DID set that trap for one of them, just he messed up and stepped into it during his own mental breakdown. I agree that they may have been evolving because of the leader showing himself a little in some parts, but no, they did not set that trap. He went crazy on his own, understandably, seeing him move.

#45 of 111 Old 12-24-2007, 01:56 PM

That makes SO much more sense! Is that the way it happened in the book, too?
talking about the trap here
#46 of 111 Old 12-24-2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:
It seemed pretty contrived, although perhaps that's the way the book ends.
In the book, he is executed by the "still living". It's a very different story in some regards. Can't wait to see the dvd though... as pp mentioned, there's no way the kiddos are watching this one!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#47 of 111 Old 12-24-2007, 11:58 PM

I just saw this movie yesterday. It was seriously traumatic for me. Don't see if you're sensitive. Now I have one more thing to worry about... DH is obsessed with post-apocalyptic survival scenarios so he likes to talk about it, a lot. I just want to live in my own little happy world. Dammmmit.

Nursing bras should not double as birth control!
#48 of 111 Old 12-25-2007, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

Trap
If he did set that trap then why didnt they show him moving that maniquin at all? The last time we saw it it was in front of the movie theater the day before, it was the same maniquin because it was wearing the exact same orangy/red hoody with the same dust stains over the shoulder. If he did set it then why did he keep yelling:

"What the h*** are you doing out here Fred!?!?!?!"

"What the h*** are you..... NO!! NO!!"

"What the h*** are you doin' out here Fred!?!?!?"

"How did you get out here!?!?!?!?!"

"If your real you better tell me right now!!!!!!"

If he put it there then he wouldnt be asking those questions. I think when he saw him it was such a shock that made him think he saw the head move or it is even possible that the dark walkers made it move somehow. Either way it is very obvious that he is worried it is really a live person instead of the manikin.

Obviously he would never have steped into the noose had he set the trap. He wasnt that far gone at all. Here is a link to a video interview with Will Smith with the scene at the end of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0ggyjUX_kk

He does mention at one point about the male exposing himself to sunlight and talking about how that could be a sign of change.

Another thing the whole point of catching the dark walkers is to run tests on them. He would never have set a trap and left it all day because the dark walker would have died during the day time and been of no use to him at all. He never gave any indication through the rest of the movie that he killed them without reason. The only time he delibratly killed them was when he was attacked in the dark building that Sam ran into and after Sam died. Not to mention he already had the female so he didnt need any more of them at that point.

#49 of 111 Old 12-26-2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
Trap
If he did set that trap then why didnt they show him moving that maniquin at all? The last time we saw it it was in front of the movie theater the day before, it was the same maniquin because it was wearing the exact same orangy/red hoody with the same dust stains over the shoulder. If he did set it then why did he keep yelling:

"What the h*** are you doing out here Fred!?!?!?!"

"What the h*** are you..... NO!! NO!!"

"What the h*** are you doin' out here Fred!?!?!?"

"How did you get out here!?!?!?!?!"

"If your real you better tell me right now!!!!!!"

If he put it there then he wouldnt be asking those questions. I think when he saw him it was such a shock that made him think he saw the head move or it is even possible that the dark walkers made it move somehow. Either way it is very obvious that he is worried it is really a live person instead of the manikin.

Obviously he would never have steped into the noose had he set the trap. He wasnt that far gone at all. Here is a link to a video interview with Will Smith with the scene at the end of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0ggyjUX_kk

He does mention at one point about the male exposing himself to sunlight and talking about how that could be a sign of change.

Another thing the whole point of catching the dark walkers is to run tests on them. He would never have set a trap and left it all day because the dark walker would have died during the day time and been of no use to him at all. He never gave any indication through the rest of the movie that he killed them without reason. The only time he delibratly killed them was when he was attacked in the dark building that Sam ran into and after Sam died. Not to mention he already had the female so he didnt need any more of them at that point.

Watching the ending again only reinforces my thoughts, but anyway...

[spoiler]If thats how you see it, ok. I am a little surprised that you believe it that way, but everyone has their perspective I guess. I, however, don't know anyone who saw it and didn't realize that it was just him going crazy. Period. Ah, anyway, I'm not gonna get into it, believe what you want. It changes the whole movie though because you're not really seeing what happened to him mentally. But whatever...like I said, thats your perspective. Not my job to convince you.

Here's a quote from an interview about playing the role of someone losing his mind...he even mentions the mannequin part at the end.

What about the loneliness of your character, Robert Neville, and the madness he begins to feel? Basically, you are acting for the first half of the movie by yourself.
"It was such a wonderful exploration of myself. What happens is that you get in a situation where you don’t have people to create the stimulus for you to respond to. What happens is that you start creating the stimulus and the response. There is a connection with yourself, where your mind starts to drift so, in those types of situations, that you learn about yourself things you would never even imagination.

In order to prepare for that we sat with former POWs and we sat with people who had been in solitary confinement. That was the framework for creating the idea. They said, ‘The first thing is a schedule. You will not survive in solitary if you don’t schedule everything.’ We talked to Geronimo ji-Jaga, formerly Geronimo Pratt of the Black Panthers, and he was in solitary for over three months. He said that you plan things like cleaning your nails. You will take two hours, which you have to because it’s on the schedule, which you have to just clean your nails. He said that he spent about six weeks and he trained roaches to bring him food. I’m sitting there like, ‘Oh my God.’ The idea of where your mind goes to defend itself. Either he really did train the roaches, which is huge, or his mind needed that to survive. Either way, you put that on camera and it’s genius.

For me that was the thing, to be able to get into the mental space where whatever the truth was for Robert Neville didn’t matter. The only thing that mattered is what he saw and what he believed. How many people picked up on the mannequin shot at the end with the little turn of the head? You saw that? There are probably like six or seven of those in the movie. It was such a great exploration of what happens to the human mind that is trying to defend itself. For me, I’m a better actor for having had to create both sides of the scene with no dialogue."[spoiler/]

#50 of 111 Old 12-26-2007, 02:49 PM

By the way, the way we saw it was in agreement that the creature was trying to get back at Robert for capturing a girl as well..

Of course there was a turn of the head/craziness moment, of course he is alone and needs rituals, schedules to keep him going, and of course he is talking to manequines as if they are people, and "seeing things" (which is what I believe he refers to in his interview), but I still saw that particular incident as a trap that was put up for him, not by him...

My 2 cents.

I wonder if the book has clarification of that moment, has anyone read it here and can say for sure?

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#51 of 111 Old 12-26-2007, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

I saw the head turning thing as the reference as well. When I went in search of the answer on the net (google search to other discussions) the vast majority of people saw it the way me and my dh did. A trap for him. If it was something he did then they definatly didnt allude to that very well in the movie or by the lines he spoke while confronting the manikin.

It is interesting how people see things differently for sure.

When I go to wal-mart again I am going to see if the book is there and look.

#52 of 111 Old 12-26-2007, 11:02 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I loved that it was a story about a man, and his troubles, not so much about the bad guys or fighting or whatever.

I also saw the trap set FOR him not BY him. Fred wasn't there a day earlier.

Jennifer, mom to Joel , Duncan, Celia, and Aidan. Wife to Nathan.
#53 of 111 Old 12-26-2007, 11:40 PM

I just found this forum today (the media forum). :-)

We saw I am Legend the other day, and all three of us loved it. I had the same question as others about the water pressure -- that was one thing I noticed right away -- and I really didn't like the ending as it seemed unnecessary to me.

I am usually very easily scared by horror movies (still like them, but the images do get into my head) and wasn't bothered by this one. I just don't see it as a horror movie -- it was so so much more than that.

I could've done without the power going out that night after we got home, but that was the only time that the images of the infected humans came back to haunt me. It came back on in five minutes, and I haven't thought of them since.

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#54 of 111 Old 12-27-2007, 12:04 AM

ahhhh! they don't show everything in a movie, ya know. I am shocked that some of ya'll viewers took the trap scene so literal. He had probably moved Fred MANY times before to tempt "them" into a trap like this one. How do you think he had caught all the others for his failed experiments he was doing. A good director leaves things like this for you to figure out...it makes sense when you think about his character, his role, his mental state deteriorating. He sought out that dialogue/conflict with Fred because he was losing his mind...the head turns were starting to become more irritating, etc. Also, did you notice how the other mannequin's would change positions during the movie as well. They never showed him moving them! You just figure that he did because in different scenes they are in different positions. The trap scene is left for you to figure out on your own. They also didn't show him capturing the other hundreds of "them", but we can infer that he caught them in a similar way...just like he was planning on doing this time...but he fell into his own trap because of his heightened anxiety and stress over not wanting to believe what he thought he saw! I dunno, I feel like the whole end of the movie wouldn't make sense if this was untrue. THe director wants you to know that his mental deterioration was his ultimate downfall and the reason one cannot continue to live in complete social isolation. Our human minds cannot handle the loneliness therefore at some point he had to mess up, eventually causing his demise. I can't see it no other way, folks....

SIdebar: I loved this movie and keep staying up at night analyzing so many different aspects of this film. I cannot wait to see what my friend Steve thinks of this movie...he is more than knowledgeable about every fact and quote and scene details about every movie ever made. He is an amazing film director/AFI student finally getting his break and working with some big wigs in Hollywood right now! He tells me its next on his list, but he's back home in PA for the holidays so he may be too busy until he goes back to Cali. I can't wait to pick his brain about a few ideas in the film. I usually don't get dorky over movies, but this one was deep for me...

#55 of 111 Old 12-27-2007, 12:30 AM

RE: The trap - I spoke with my stepdad yesterday who is a huge fan of Matheson and knows the story very well. (We also went to see the movie together.) He said that in the story, the creatures are evolving (or more evolved) and it is, in fact, personal between the main character and the main male creature. The creature is out to get him, specifically. Which brings me back to thinking that the creature set the trap. It makes sense, as well, because the creature saw the way the trap was set.

He clearly was on the brink of insanity. I don't think that necessarily means he walked into his own trap. Besides, I don't think it was coincidence that the dark seeker was there waiting when the sun went down, ready to set the dogs on him. In addition, after he confronted the dark seekers, they tracked him back to his home when the woman saved him, but waited until the next evening to ambush him rather than attacking when they would be expected to. That definitely shows cunning.
#56 of 111 Old 12-27-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
THe director wants you to know that his mental deterioration was his ultimate downfall and the reason one cannot continue to live in complete social isolation. Our human minds cannot handle the loneliness therefore at some point he had to mess up, eventually causing his demise.

I agree with lonliness being a strain on a human mind, but I dont' think the author or the director meant to imply that the main character was getting completely delusional. His demise (in the book at least) was very clearly due to the creatures setting a trap for him... (a more complex trap, but still). They have indeed developed a complex social structure. Also, I did a few searches on other sites, and all the ones I could find (including critics) described the trap as set for him not by him...

#57 of 111 Old 12-27-2007, 01:43 PM

Ok. I hear ya. I just strongly disagree with that possibility of such quick evolution.

#58 of 111 Old 12-27-2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
I just strongly disagree with that possibility of such quick evolution.
That's a whole other topic... I agree, It didn't make sence for them to evolve within the the current generation... The only answer to that would be them always maintaining that level of social awareness, and him just not realizing the level of their intelligence. From what I understand about the book, they are never portrayed as mindless creatures?

(seriously, the more we talk about it, the more I want to get the book! Ah.. I wish Christmas wouldn't have eaten all of my budget! )

#59 of 111 Old 12-27-2007, 02:51 PM

About that evolution...

In the book there are sort of "two levels" of infected... in a very brief nutshell, in the book
some of the infected are totally lost, others maintain some of their previous personality/ability/sense though they are very changed and not really who or what they were. Neville doesn't realize this however, thinking ALL the infected are mindless, and he actively hunts/kills the infected. He essentially becomes the "boogey man" to the sentient infected since he kills them along with the mindless infected. Eventually the sentient infected capture him and execute him. Neville in a sense agrees with their judgement that he is the real monster, standing in the path of evolution. The title refers to the fact that Neville has become like the legendary vampire, he is the killer in the dark (or, since this is a sort of reverse vampire story, the killer in the light). Like many Outer Limits episodes, the original story turns your assumptions upside down and makes you think...

And yeah, the story has been out for decades so I know the spoiler tags are a bit silly but since there are "some" differences from the film I didn't want to give anything away.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#60 of 111 Old 12-27-2007, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

I was po'ed because they didnt have the book at wal mart : I am definatly going to have to read it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page