I Am Legend? (Will Smith) Warning spoilers have been added - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 111 Old 12-27-2007, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolliePollie View Post
I just saw this movie yesterday. It was seriously traumatic for me. Don't see if you're sensitive. Now I have one more thing to worry about... DH is obsessed with post-apocalyptic survival scenarios so he likes to talk about it, a lot. I just want to live in my own little happy world. Dammmmit.

:

Warning :: Spoiler Ahead! Highlight to read message!

I didn't realize I was so sensitive to the loss of the dog.

Also, what we don't understand is:

He is on an island. How does the woman/boy get on/off the island if all bridges were destroyed? By Boat? Did they swim? Neither seem likely.

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 111 Old 12-27-2007, 07:39 PM

I just finished the book: I can't think of one single thing in the book being the same as what happened in the movie. (Aside from the guy's name.) I mean, that is one LOOSELY-based movie. Which is not to say I didn't think it was really good, but man, it was completely different.
#63 of 111 Old 12-27-2007, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
He is on an island. How does the woman/boy get on/off the island if all bridges were destroyed? By Boat? Did they swim? Neither seem likely.

I was wondering that as well? Can anyone shed any light on that situation??

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#64 of 111 Old 12-27-2007, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I assumed they traveled completely by water to get to him since she said she was from Maryland. And it was probably safer? And there are always cars available on the other side of the bridges in Manhattan for them when they left. I think about that kind of stuff only briefly because some explanations that are given in a book are just not going to be given in a movie. Movies make you use more of your imagination...just like the water pressure and a few other things.

BTW, after listening to people discuss the differences in the infected from the book and movie, I realize why some of you see the infected in the movie more evolved and of higher intelligence. From my perspective, seeing the movie only and hearing nothing else until now, I saw them (and still do) as hungry animals. Aggressive, yes. Sneaky, yes. Cunning, about as much as a lion. I still didn't see a "complex social structure" being portrayed. Not from just seeing a clear strong one standing out as a possible leader. I think if I had read the book or knew anything at all about the original story(s), I may have seen the trap scene the way some of you see it. I thought the movie focused more on him becoming more and more delusional as things became more frustrated day to day and with his failed vaccines - not so much on the infected. It sounds like the book focuses on that more. Which IS interesting. But I think after watching the movie and being kept up at night analyzing it and seeing images of those infected, I will pass on the book. No need to continue thinking about all the sadness of it anyway...I can't stop thinking about the damn dog.

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

#65 of 111 Old 12-27-2007, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I can't stop thinking about the damn dog.
: I must be getting hard hearted in my old age because a scene like that when I was younger would have had me : and hating the movie just based on that scene. But for some reason it hasnt bothered me that much this time. That makes me sad because I seem to have lost something

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#66 of 111 Old 12-28-2007, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2tatum View Post
I assumed they traveled completely by water to get to him since she said she was from Maryland. And it was probably safer? And there are always cars available on the other side of the bridges in Manhattan for them when they left. I think about that kind of stuff only briefly because some explanations that are given in a book are just not going to be given in a movie. Movies make you use more of your imagination...just like the water pressure and a few other things.

BTW, after listening to people discuss the differences in the infected from the book and movie, I realize why some of you see the infected in the movie more evolved and of higher intelligence. From my perspective, seeing the movie only and hearing nothing else until now, I saw them (and still do) as hungry animals. Aggressive, yes. Sneaky, yes. Cunning, about as much as a lion. I still didn't see a "complex social structure" being portrayed. Not from just seeing a clear strong one standing out as a possible leader. I think if I had read the book or knew anything at all about the original story(s), I may have seen the trap scene the way some of you see it. I thought the movie focused more on him becoming more and more delusional as things became more frustrated day to day and with his failed vaccines - not so much on the infected. It sounds like the book focuses on that more. Which IS interesting. But I think after watching the movie and being kept up at night analyzing it and seeing images of those infected, I will pass on the book. No need to continue thinking about all the sadness of it anyway...I can't stop thinking about the damn dog.
Yes, the woman did say they were on a boat initially, if I remember correctly.
I agree with your opinion of this, I share it. I read the book a while back, and the movie deviates far from it at times. The book infected are vampires, the movie infected are more like zombies.

I didn't like the fact that the infected could move so quickly and be so agile. They still had human bodies for pete's sake! Plus they were ill, and ate raw nasty stuff. I'm sure they wouldn't be feeling well.
#67 of 111 Old 12-30-2007, 12:26 AM

DH and I keep talking about this. The first thing I said when I woke up this morning was "Well if the virus couldnt make it in cold Vermont, what about the people in Alaska??" then he was like "Yeah, AND its daylight all the time there, like 6 months a year!"

We also concluded the sick people probably weren't breeding and eventually would just die off (because how could they even vaccinate all those people?) and mankind would be restored...

~Shannon~ Proud Mama of 3 girls, ages 7,4, and 2.
#68 of 111 Old 12-30-2007, 12:45 AM

I went to see it with my father right before Christmas.

I like semi-scary, but i hate gore. I thought it was really good, and not TOO scary - but it does keep you on the edge of your seat.

That being said, i was really pissed off at the fact the idiots sitting in front of us brought their daughter - who appeared to be my dd's age (around 3.5-4 years old). Totally an inappropriate movie for such a young child!!!

I mean, the dozen or so (literally) 10 year olds in the front row area was bad enough - but a preschooler...total crap. Sorry...just had to rant. I have a SIL that let's her 2 year old watch movies like SAW...just really upsets me.

But back to the point...you can handle it. Not too scary - watch it!
#69 of 111 Old 12-30-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
what about the people in Alaska??" then he was like "Yeah, AND its daylight all the time there, like 6 months a year!"
Of course, the reverse holds true, if you go with a movie like 30 Days of Night.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#70 of 111 Old 12-31-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imogen View Post
You didn't like Pan's Labyrinth? I thought that was such a good movie, a little too violent in some places, but so very different from the 'mainstream' films we have out these days

Peace
It's not too good for a freshly postpartum mom to watch...you know?

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#71 of 111 Old 12-31-2007, 01:13 PM

Subbing.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#72 of 111 Old 12-31-2007, 01:30 PM

My mom and I think it is a remake of Omega Man with Charleton Heston only worse because he starts out with a wife and child...so what happened to them? Don't know if I want to see this.
#73 of 111 Old 12-31-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Worm View Post
My mom and I think it is a remake of Omega Man with Charleton Heston only worse because he starts out with a wife and child...so what happened to them? Don't know if I want to see this.
I have been told it is a remake. If you want to know what happens to the wife and child...

Neville is getting them evacuated from NYC via helicopter. He says goodbye, the daughter presses her puppy into his arms, and the helicopter lifts off. As he stands there watching, the military starts firing shells into the nearby bridges to destroy them. But something goes amiss--either a shell misses its target or shrapnel flies, but a different helicopter gets hit. You see that helicopter losing control and flying directly into the helicopter Neville's wife and child are on, but you never see the impact or anything else. I think that's the last mention of his family in the movie.

And again, it happens completely differently in the book.
#74 of 111 Old 01-02-2008, 03:03 AM

about the water pressure, if you listen carefully when he starts the faucet, you can hear a pump running. He probably uses a cistern on the roof (many tall buildings have them) and a pump similar to one on an RV. It sounded the same, anyway.

About the female, I got the distinct impression that the "leader" took her abduction very personally; that she was his mate. They reminded me of a wolf pack, the way they called to each other and ran together.

The helicopters, I remember seeing people hanging from the skids. I think people swarmed it when they saw the bridges get taken out, and it unbalanced the helicopter, sending it into a tailspin and straight into his wife's helicopter.

The woman came from Sao Paulo, via Maryland. I was wondering how the heck she got all the way to the States.

Misti, mom to DS (12), DS (9), DD (3), and Mr. Man (October '10)!

#75 of 111 Old 01-02-2008, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

Yep the helicopter that hit his wife's and daughters had people hanging off the skids causing it to lose control.

#76 of 111 Old 01-02-2008, 04:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Worm View Post
Its not a remake of The Omega Man....both movies are based on a novel called "I Am Legend".....film critic Richard Roeper (of ebert and roeper/At the Movies)thinks this film is much better than Omega Man....i have seen neither film (going to see I am Legend tomorrow, as my son loves it so much and wants to see it again) so i can't tell you my opinion on that.

Katherine

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
#77 of 111 Old 01-02-2008, 12:56 PM

And if you're planning a themed movie night... this is actually the third film adaptation of the novel. The Last Man on Earth in '64, Omega Man in '71, and I Am Legend in '07.

The protagonist has been played by Vincent Price, Charleton Heston, and Will Smith. An odd group of gents wouldn't you say?

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#78 of 111 Old 01-02-2008, 01:39 PM

I was checking the cast list out on www.imdb.com and it identified the primary male as "Alpha Male" and the woman/vampire that Will Smith captured as the "Alpha Female," so she was definitely the leader's mate.
#79 of 111 Old 01-03-2008, 05:42 PM

I thought Anna said 5 of them came on a boat from the Red Cross? or something like that but they got to the dock too late in the day, after he had left. The infected got 3 of them and only her and Ethan were left. When she was looking at the map in the kitchen she said it was too late in the day to take a boat and travel in a straight shot and they would have to wait until morning.

My BIGGEST pet peeve about the movie... I got SO motion sickness from the camera. They way it zoomed up and down and the camera would shake when he ran. I was so so sick. We ran into people after the movie who saw it as well and two of them said the same thing.

Overall I was not impressed...
#80 of 111 Old 01-03-2008, 08:01 PM

Yeah, the camerawork was jerky when it didn't need to be. I understand that option when you want to convey urgency and "intimacy" in a fight scene (or when you want to cover up the fact that the actor can't handle the action and you can't use a double) but really, it didn't add anything in this film. But it wasn't as bad as Bourne Ultimatum. Seriously, that film made me physically ill at times with it's camerawork!

I have a few peeves about the film but overall, I liked it. I haven't read the book or seen the other versions. So perhaps that is why I liked this as a stand alone film. Or it could be due to my huge lust/admiration for Will Smith!!!!! And I like movies with doggies. Yeah, I'm 12.
#81 of 111 Old 01-06-2008, 05:39 AM

Finally got to see this film last night. I enjoyed the film, but I felt that there was something missing. I felt that a lot more detail could have been included about the orgins and mutations of the Dark Seekers after they were infected. I felt let down about this group.

Will Smith handled the role very well and watching his mental deterioration was interesting.

Peace
#82 of 111 Old 01-07-2008, 10:21 AM

Yes, I agree about WS. The closeups of his face at times was sooo unsettling because it felt so real. He's really honing his acting and getting better and better. (I'll just forget all about I, Robot, Will.) /fangirl gush
#83 of 111 Old 01-07-2008, 12:56 PM

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#84 of 111 Old 01-09-2008, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthesmilingone View Post
Where oh where did the water pressure come from?
I'll admit that I don't know the particulars of the water system in NYC, but many water systems do not use electricity In areas where elevation is available, water runs down the mountains into tanks and then runs out of the tanks into the pipes. No pumps are used. In areas where elevation is not available, water is pumped into tanks on towers, and then it runs (without electricity) into the pipes.

I realize that NYC itself is pretty flat, but if the water is piped in from upstate New York, there's probably quite a large elevation drop available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post
One my husband brought up was how the man at the end was bashing against the safety glass, cracking through, and his head was not suffering any wear or tear. You'd think his skull would at least be a little bashed in or battered. I mean bone is still bone.
In the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer, the vampires are practically indestructible. The only thing that can hurt one of her vampires is another vampire or a werewolf.
#85 of 111 Old 01-09-2008, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It's pretty scary. It's a lot like 28 Days Later, if you've seen that. Except this one has yummy Will Smith in it.
#86 of 111 Old 01-14-2008, 05:05 PM

Great movie!
#87 of 111 Old 01-14-2008, 05:13 PM

A lot of people are mentioning that they had trouble with the dog in the movie... errrrr.... from what I've heard people say here, the dog "scene" is actually gentler in the movie than it is in the book. So that may be a factor for people.

It's hard to say if the book is "better" that the movie... they are very very different stories with very different messages.

#88 of 111 Old 05-24-2008, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

I am resurrecting this thread because I finally got the answer to whether or not Nevil set the trap that he got caught in It was driving me insane not knowing for sure and trying to figure out what I had missed. So now I have my answer it is on the longer version DVD.

It is very obvious when he is talking to Anna while he is showing her the place were he was trapped that Nevil did NOT set the trap. They have evolved to have more higher brain function which is allowing them to plan for the future.

The alternate ending definatly shows they had evolved and it is a lot different from the movie theater version. WOW

#89 of 111 Old 05-24-2008, 11:16 PM

since this whole thread is marked with spoilers, do i have to blackout my own spoilery text? i didn't, but let me know if i should.

Quote:
[spoiler]If thats how you see it, ok. I am a little surprised that you believe it that way, but everyone has their perspective I guess. I, however, don't know anyone who saw it and didn't realize that it was just him going crazy. Period. Ah, anyway, I'm not gonna get into it, believe what you want. It changes the whole movie though because you're not really seeing what happened to him mentally. But whatever...like I said, thats your perspective. Not my job to convince you.
[spoiler/]
Quote:
ahhhh! they don't show everything in a movie, ya know. I am shocked that some of ya'll viewers took the trap scene so literal.
Quote:
BTW, after listening to people discuss the differences in the infected from the book and movie, I realize why some of you see the infected in the movie more evolved and of higher intelligence. From my perspective, seeing the movie only and hearing nothing else until now, I saw them (and still do) as hungry animals. Aggressive, yes. Sneaky, yes. Cunning, about as much as a lion. I still didn't see a "complex social structure" being portrayed. Not from just seeing a clear strong one standing out as a possible leader. I think if I had read the book or knew anything at all about the original story(s), I may have seen the trap scene the way some of you see it. I thought the movie focused more on him becoming more and more delusional as things became more frustrated day to day and with his failed vaccines - not so much on the infected.
i'm sure no one wants to get into the whole trap thing again, but as i've just seen this thread, i can't help commenting. wow mom2tatum! you were being really harsh about anyone who interpreted this scene differently from you! for the record, i only saw the movie and have never read the book or seen any of the related movies, and it never seemed like he had set the trap at all.

yes, his mind was deteriorating. that was a huge part of it. that was why the trap worked. if he had been totally coherent, the trap never would have worked since he would have known something was up when fred was moved. but the trap is different from the kind he used. he had to leave his traps baited and they had to have the covering to protect the creature from the light and he had to retrieve any captures immediately. to me it was just seemed like the "alpha male" wanted to get his woman back, saw how will's trap worked, and recreated it with a bait that he would fall for.

btw, not that it matters, but i didn't really like this movie. i wasn't at all into the whole god thing at the end. just giving a vial of blood with no other information is hardly going to lead to a cure. he didn't even send any of his original treatment, did he? the ending just didn't do it for me at all, i guess.
#90 of 111 Old 05-24-2008, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

The alternate ending was better IMHO in it he dosnt die and the alpha male wants his woman back and the butterfly tatto was on the infected female not on Anna. The alpha male picks up the alpha female and carries her away.

I did warn there was spoilers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page