I Am Legend? (Will Smith) Warning spoilers have been added - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 111 Old 12-17-2007, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone seen this movie? What do you think? How scary is it? Blade scary, way worse?

I am very tempted to go see this movie but I do NOT like horror films.
The worst I can handle is Blade, Wesley Snipes. I like tremors that isnt bad.

From the commercials it appears to be on the level of Blade. So what do you all think?

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#2 of 111 Old 12-18-2007, 12:23 AM

:
#3 of 111 Old 12-18-2007, 12:48 AM

I saw some previews when I watched Beowolf in Theatre. I would love to see I am Legend. Could have skipped stupid Beowold though. What a waste of money.
#4 of 111 Old 12-18-2007, 03:06 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I saw it, but I haven't seen Blade so I can't really compare.

I thought it was scary, but I am easily scared. I don't like to be scared and I don't like the adrenaline rush. I am glad I saw the movie though, it was really good.

I guess I would compare it to Underworld? Scary parts, surprises, etc.... but I would not consider this a horror movie in the least. I have seen much worse.
#5 of 111 Old 12-18-2007, 06:59 AM

I saw this the day it opened....It's got some scares, mostly jump out of your seatscares as opposed to gore or build up tension scares....most of it focuses on him trying to survive day to day then the scares....all depends on what you can take....though as a scary movie person, i would classify blade as an action movie with vampires more then a horror/scary movie...but that's just me LOL
#6 of 111 Old 12-18-2007, 01:20 PM

DH and I are going to see it this afternoon, so I'll post back with a review. I've never seen Blade before, so won't have that to compare it with. But I definitely heard that Legend is "jump out at you" scary. That stuff kills me--I always HOLLER when something jumps out in a movie, so I'm sure I'll make a total spectacle of myself.
#7 of 111 Old 12-18-2007, 01:50 PM

It was scary. Suspenseful, really, especially in the first half.

I'm glad I saw it, though. I thought it definitely had its flaws, but Will Smith was amazing.
#8 of 111 Old 12-18-2007, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

K you all for your help. I think I can handle it Something about the previews is really drawing me to it. I dont mind being a little : but I dont want to be so : that I cant enjoy the movie.

I see Blade as a action movie as well with vampires added.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#9 of 111 Old 12-18-2007, 06:29 PM

DH and oldest DS went to see it opening night (they read the book together). I just asked DS if it was scary and he said not really. That there were 2 parts that were scary and that's it.

He loved it though and said it was really good but not much like the book

Heathertreehugger.gif
Mama to 5 (b17,b11,b9,g6,b4)

Our Final Addition stork-suprise.gifarriving in Mid June 2014

#10 of 111 Old 12-18-2007, 09:24 PM

I'm going to have to read the book--there were some loose ends at the end of the movie that I'd really have liked to be tied up.

That said, I thought it was enjoyable and worth seeing in the theatre. The scary stuff is definitely the "jump out at you" variety and there isn't a lot of gore. There are some sad themes, and yes, Will Smith was terrific in it!

Thumbs up.
#11 of 111 Old 12-18-2007, 09:34 PM

Skip the movie and read Matheson's book if you really want to know what I Am Legend is supposed to be like.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#12 of 111 Old 12-18-2007, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

I just want to see Will Smith I saw on Wiki that there have been several versions of the story through the years. Not so much interested in how it should be. I know books are usually much better than the movie versions.

#13 of 111 Old 12-19-2007, 03:14 AM

This films looks interesting. I'm definitely going to watch it

Peace
#14 of 111 Old 12-19-2007, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My Ds is on his way to see this right now actually. It looks like his kind of movie. I'll let you know what he thought later. As much as I love Will Smith I will not be seeing this movie. Ever.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#15 of 111 Old 12-20-2007, 10:17 PM

We saw it this weekend, but I've never seen "Blade" to compare it to. It was the kind of scary movie I like--suspenseful, but not gory. It had some minor flaws, but overall I thought it was really good. And Will Smith was great as usual.
#16 of 111 Old 12-21-2007, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

We went and saw it tonight. Will Smith was great. The emotional scenes were magnificent, very touching and heartfelt. I normally avoid movies were one of the main characters is a animal because I cant handle it well if something happens to it. But I had to see this movie.

To me it wasnt scary at all really but I found it terribly sad.

I did enjoy it tho and glad I saw it.

#17 of 111 Old 12-21-2007, 03:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ds said he really enjoyed it. He thinks Will Smith was perfect for the role, and he liked the feel of the filming style. (He liked certain scenes he told me about, but I don't want to spoil stuff for anyone.)

He did think some parts were sad too.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#18 of 111 Old 12-21-2007, 10:59 PM

Oh my goodness.

This movie terrified the out of me!!!! I just know I'll be dreaming about this for years, no exaggeration. These kinds of scenarios scare the bejebus out of me, one of my worst fears, so I could be a little extreme in my opinion.

And take some tissues. I made a fool out of myself trying not to all out sob for about 80% of the movie.

Then again, I have had a rough day, and I am PMSing....

Great acting by Smith, great special effects, awesome story line, but the details felt "rushed" toward the end... like they may have cut too much, or something.

I would see it again. Going out was my christmas present from DH.
#19 of 111 Old 12-22-2007, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah the scenario was the scariest part for me. I talked to dh on the way home about how that knd of thing may not be as far fetched a most would like to think. I could actually see something like that happening

#20 of 111 Old 12-22-2007, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
Yeah the scenario was the scariest part for me. I talked to dh on the way home about how that knd of thing may not be as far fetched a most would like to think. I could actually see something like that happening
Bold is mine.
#21 of 111 Old 12-22-2007, 03:46 PM

LOL, I do the same thing with movies like those...28 Days later was another one like that, they even had a short thing on the DVD about the whole thing, how it could happen, that sorta thing.....Now, before I saw this one, I also have seen the first version with Vincent Price(?) and The Omega Man with Charlton Heston..... Amazing how seeing in full color and details the city of New york (speaking of film changes I mean) in this version had a huge impact on my own take of the movie........needless to say next time I go to the library I'll be getting the book....
#22 of 111 Old 12-22-2007, 04:19 PM

I watched it and sobbed throughout the entire movie. I don't want to give it away, but it was very emotional. I wish I hadn't seen it, I'm very sensitive to stuff like that. It was very good though, very well written and acted.

Rebecca, CPST, Navy wife to Chris, furmama to Fenway
#23 of 111 Old 12-23-2007, 06:32 AM

I am planning to go and see this film next weekend. But I'm really worried about the dog in the film. I can't stomach films when something bad happens to animals.

But I so want to see it.

Peace
#24 of 111 Old 12-23-2007, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Imogen that is a big thing for me to. As a rule I do not watch movies with animals in it because I cant handle bad things happening to them. I braced myself for the worst before even walking in the theater.

#25 of 111 Old 12-23-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
Imogen that is a big thing for me to. As a rule I do not watch movies with animals in it because I cant handle bad things happening to them. I braced myself for the worst before even walking in the theater.
I'm just waiting for Beck to message me with spoilers to that I can prepare myself before I view the film

Peace
#26 of 111 Old 12-23-2007, 06:40 PM

I want spoilers! Somepne please...PM me or something!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#27 of 111 Old 12-23-2007, 06:46 PM
Banned

I just have to get this out. There was one thing that bugged me to no end.

I'm using spoiling tags just in case you'd rather not be irked too

Warning :: Spoiler Ahead! Highlight to read message!
Where oh where did the water pressure come from? I just about broke out laughing when he gave the dog a bath in the tub. When Will reached to turn on the water, both dd and I looked at each with a smirk. Come one- the city has been shut down with no power for three years. Will may have generators for his electrical appliances but there is no way there is any water pressure coming from water pipes in a dead city. Grrr.

And one other:

At the end when he gives Anna the blood from the cured woman, why didn't he also give her one of the back up drives he had stored all his research on? Wouldn't that had been a smart thing to give her? The blood itself may or may not be enough to let others know what the exact cure is

I imagine the book to be much better than the movie, as is almost always the case.

But what the heck, I enjoyed the entertainment and scare value of the movie
#28 of 111 Old 12-23-2007, 06:47 PM

I would like to know more about the movie. Like what the heck is the story line? I'd like to know what kind of sad things and scary things happen so I can prepare myself, b/c I do want to see it, but not if it's really bad.

Like I regret watching Pan's Labrynth - good movie, but lots of horrible things happen, and I'm mad at the person who recommended it to me.

OK, so waiting for PMs.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#29 of 111 Old 12-23-2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthesmilingone View Post
I just have to get this out. There was one thing that bugged me to no end.

I'm using spoiling tags just in case you'd rather not be irked too

Where oh where did the water pressure come from? I just about broke out laughing when he gave the dog a bath in the tub. When Will reached to turn on the water, both dd and I looked at each with a smirk. Come one- the city has been shut down with no power for three years. Will may have generators for his electrical appliances but there is no way there is any water pressure coming from water pipes in a dead city. Grrr.

I imagine the book to be much better than the movie, as is almost always the case.

But what the heck, I enjoyed the entertainment and scare value of the movie
That would have bugged me too!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#30 of 111 Old 12-23-2007, 07:11 PM

Regarding the water:

I think it would be reasonably easy to engineer that, honestly. If he was in a building that had any elevation between the roof and the bathroom...all he'd really have had to do was create a catchment basin and if there was enough water weight on top of a small enough hole leading into his bathroom pipes, he could have done it without too much difficulty. But I'm also not a huge expert in that line of thing.

Now there are some things I was bugged by:
Who the heck was firing on the helicopters as they were evacuating New York? If it was the military, why the heck didn't they wait until some of the ships were out of the way? It looked like a military-controlled access point, so it wasn't like they were deliberately out to kill all those folks. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out collapsing massive bridges might swamp a couple of boats. And who the heck was doing the shooting at the helicopters? I thought it might have been an angry populace that was armed and trying to strike back at the military.

The other thing that really bugged me was how did the woman drive off the vampires as Will Smith was trapped on the pier? She clearly had some light with her, but you got no feel for what action she was taking. And where did Ethan come from? They explained her background, but not his.

I really liked the movie, but I would have LOVED it had they just filled a few of the holes.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page