Just saw, "I AM LEGEND". Whoa. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 12-23-2007, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How scary? Freekin Scary. How sad? Unbelievably Sad. How Crazy? Crazy. How Possible? Very possible. Walking out of out seats, I felt like shouting, "And we want to continue injecting vaccines into our child's bodies?" Let's just wait to see what our future may hold?

Oh boy. I don't want to give anything away to those who haven't seen it, but has anyone else seen this and felt as weirded out by the true scariness of these possibilities? I thought it was one of the saddest movies ever made. Its fresh, though.

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

#2 of 14 Old 12-23-2007, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can you elaborate? DH wants to see it. I know Will Smith is huge on conspiracy theories too...I was wondering how this film was. Just put SPOILER WARNING or something!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#3 of 14 Old 12-23-2007, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
Can you elaborate? DH wants to see it. I know Will Smith is huge on conspiracy theories too...I was wondering how this film was. Just put SPOILER WARNING or something!
There is a thread about it in books, movies and media.
#4 of 14 Old 12-23-2007, 06:34 PM

wanna hear another big plus... the German Shep they used in the film was rescued from a local pound, trained for the movie then was gound a home

the movie looks awesome !!

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#5 of 14 Old 12-23-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeca View Post
There is a thread about it in books, movies and media.
Oh! Thanks!!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#6 of 14 Old 12-23-2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polka123 View Post
wanna hear another big plus... the German Shep they used in the film was rescued from a local pound, trained for the movie then was gound a home

the movie looks awesome !!
That's terrific! I grew up with GS's...love them.

#7 of 14 Old 12-23-2007, 06:38 PM

I just saw it last weekend and thought it was great!
#8 of 14 Old 12-23-2007, 06:42 PM

Hopefully it was better than the 1971 disco version!
#9 of 14 Old 12-23-2007, 06:45 PM

Can anyone who has seen it PLEASE PM me spoilers?

#10 of 14 Old 12-23-2007, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I saw it, I enjoyed it, but I thought of it as science fiction with some of the same goals shared by all science fiction. There are a lot of apocalpytical and last man on earth, distopia kind of themes in literature in general, and futuristic kind of how we manipulate technology and the ethics of that is big too.

The original story was written in the 50s and was about a bacterial infection that gave people a kind of vampirism. In the book, some of the people were adapting and dealing with it and had their own society, but the protagonist of the book, the one man who remained uninfected, was going out and indiscriminately killing both types of the vampires.

************Warning, spoiler ahead******************

In the end Neville was executed by the new society because they saw him as the monster who was different and frightening, and who preyed on them.

I enjoyed the movie and the portrayal of NYC in the aftermath of this kind of pandemic, but I thought the monsters were a little too out there and were deliberately designed to play to the horror crowd. They kind of reminded me of the rage zombies in recent zombie type flicks, and I felt there were the same problems with them that the others have. There really isn't a good explanation, in my mind, of what drives them and forms their behavior. It's scarier that way and it works for that, but I seriously doubt a scenario like this--humans who have mutated to the point that they are unusually agile and don't even resemble humans in what they can phsyically do and withstand, but will take a terminator like attitude toward any non-infected human being--is possible in this decade, just because of vaccines.
#11 of 14 Old 12-23-2007, 08:02 PM

I didn't find it all that believable, though. I mean... the way it's described as happening would have shown up in any routine clinical trials. It was an... entertaining... movie (we probably would have skipped it if we'd realized it was really more in the horror genre than sci-fi/action), but the ways in which it just doesn't hold together were the subject of an hour's discussion afterward.
#12 of 14 Old 12-23-2007, 08:27 PM

I saw it last night. I think Will Smith is a wonderful actor, and the movie was riveting; some absolutely fascinating scenes of NY.

But did it make me worry about something like that really happening? No.
#13 of 14 Old 12-23-2007, 10:46 PM

My favorite part was the commercial for gardasil they showed right before the movie started
#14 of 14 Old 12-24-2007, 01:22 AM

I didn't like the movie as much as I expected...

I love Will Smith...love love him!...as an actor....as a dad...everything.

But if the main character was not Will Smith...I think it would of been a terrible movie.

There's a lot of movies out there about the same basic story and this wasn't the best.

I do think Will Smith did his part..

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page