January 2008 Book Challenge - Page 10 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#271 of 287 Old 01-29-2008, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
#4 Baby Proof by Emily Giffin

A story about a NYC couple who get married agreeing not to have any children but one of them has a change of heart. This story asks can a marriage survive in such a situation? There are several themes in the story - love, marriage, fidelity, infidelity, children. The two lead characters and the problems of the supporting cast touch on all these issues. There was something missing in the story. It almost felt like Giffin was creating a mountain out of a molehill. This is a good story but isn't as good as Something Borrowed her first novel.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#272 of 287 Old 01-29-2008, 04:00 PM

"THe Meanest Doll in the World" by Ann M. Martin and Laura Godwin

Disappointing sequel to THe Doll People - a mean princess doll gets into the house and terrorizes the rest.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#273 of 287 Old 01-29-2008, 04:01 PM

"Living in a Foreign Language" by Michael Tucker

This was recommended earlier - about this LA Law couple that bought a cottage in Italy - the food descriptions are the best part - makes me want to go to Italy.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#274 of 287 Old 01-29-2008, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
#3 The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan

Read this for one of my book clubs. I really enjoyed it.

~Beth, mama to two amazing girls, ages 12 and 6~

#275 of 287 Old 01-29-2008, 10:34 PM

#4: J.K. Rowling: The Wizard Behind Harry Potter - an unauthorized biography by Mark Shapiro

Found this in the stack of books here at the house we are renting. It was more like reading a long magazine article, and obviously wasn't spell-checked. But it's motivated me to possibly read the 7th book again (which is also in the houst stack)......

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#276 of 287 Old 01-29-2008, 11:35 PM

A little late for this month, but I wanted to join too.

I don't know how many books I typically read in a year, so I'm not sure what my goal should be. I usually read 2-3 books a week, unless something comes up. I was on vacation the first week of January, so I've read a little more than normal this month.

So far I've read:

#1 Interred with their Bones...Jennifer Lee Carrell
#2 My Sister's Keeper...Jodi Picoult
#3 The Boleyn Inheritance...Philippa Gregory
#4 Deja Dead...Kathy Reichs
#5 Death Du Jour...Kathy Reichs
#6 Deadly Decisions...Kathy Reichs
#7 Fatal Voyage...Kathy Reichs
#8 Grave Secrets...Kathy Reichs
#9 Bare Bones...Kathy Reichs
#10 Monday Mourning...Kathy Reichs
#11 Cross Bones...Kathy Reichs
#12 Break No Bones...Kathy Reichs
#13 One Grave Too Many...Beverly Connor
#14 Dead Guilty...Beverly Connor
#15 Postmortem...Patricia Cornwell
#16 Body of Evidence...Patricia Cornwell

Mama to: turtle 6August01 and frog 28May05 and ttc#3
#277 of 287 Old 01-30-2008, 01:31 AM

hmmm this will get interesting thanks to the beauty topic I pulled back out my adult book stash

1) So that's what they are for- Janet Tamaro (again and again and again, lol)
2) Lick of Frost- L K Hamilton
3) Survivor- Octavia Butler
4) Story of O- Pauline Reage
5) To Love, To Obey, To Serve- V Johnson
#278 of 287 Old 01-30-2008, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanwinds View Post
A little late for this month, but I wanted to join too.
Don't worry about that, we start a new one each month and for those of us keeping track/count, the lists are cumulative throughout the year.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#279 of 287 Old 01-30-2008, 04:10 AM
Banned

#2 - Dead Zone by Stephen King

Man gets in accident, goes into 4.5 year long coma, awakens with psychic abilities.

I am still reading Affluenza but the subject matter is so heavy, I thought I'd do something lighter - like Stephen King. DD was sick today so I spent the day reading on the couch.

I have also started reading The Trial by Kafka. Haven't decided if I like it yet.

#1 - The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey
#280 of 287 Old 01-30-2008, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

#15: John, Paul, George & Ben
by Lane Smith
illustrated by Lane Smith

My review of John, Paul, George & Ben can be found here.

#1 The Time Machine, #2 The Shining (Audio): Redux, #3 Curious George, #4 Animal Farm: A Fairy Story, #5 The Tragedy of Othello, Moor of Venice (Bantam Anthology), #6 A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four, #7 "A Study in Emerald", #8 The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead, #9 Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them, #10 Quidditch Through the Ages, #11 On the Day You Were Born, #12 The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark (Bantam Anthology), #13 The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare, #14 Rubyfruit Jungle, #15 John, Paul, George & Ben

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#281 of 287 Old 01-30-2008, 02:18 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland42 View Post
#2 - Dead Zone by Stephen King

Man gets in accident, goes into 4.5 year long coma, awakens with psychic abilities.
I love the show based on the book.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#282 of 287 Old 02-01-2008, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter

#16: The Merchant of Venice (Bantam Anthology): Redux
by William Shakespeare
edited by David Bevington
anthologized in Shakespeare: Four Comedies – The Taming of the Shrew, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, The Merchant of Venice, Twelfth Night

My review of The Merchant of Venice can be found here.

#1 The Time Machine, #2 The Shining (Audio): Redux, #3 Curious George, #4 Animal Farm: A Fairy Story, #5 The Tragedy of Othello, Moor of Venice (Bantam Anthology), #6 A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four, #7 "A Study in Emerald", #8 The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead, #9 Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them, #10 Quidditch Through the Ages, #11 On the Day You Were Born, #12 The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark (Bantam Anthology), #13 The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare, #14 Rubyfruit Jungle, #15 John, Paul, George & Ben, #16 The Merchant of Venice (Bantam Anthology): Redux

#283 of 287 Old 02-01-2008, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

#284 of 287 Old 02-01-2008, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

February's Challegne Thread is up and running at http://www.mothering.com/discussions...php?p=10438745

#285 of 287 Old 02-01-2008, 12:53 PM

# 15 The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue

A re-read for book club last night. The chapters alternate between the point of view of a little boy who was taken to live with a group of changelings and that of the changeling who takes his place. I didn't hate it, but I definitely feel no need to read it for a 3rd time at any point -- some people loved it, but I wasn't that entranced.

#16 The Fall of the House of Bush: The Untold Story of How a Band of True Believers Seized the Executive Branch, Started the Iraq War, and Still Imperils America's Future by Craig Unger

The title pretty much says it all. Each chapter was about a different angle, and some were more interesting to me than others, but this was definitely a good book.
#286 of 287 Old 02-04-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufomander View Post
# 15 The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue

A re-read for book club last night. The chapters alternate between the point of view of a little boy who was taken to live with a group of changelings and that of the changeling who takes his place. I didn't hate it, but I definitely feel no need to read it for a 3rd time at any point -- some people loved it, but I wasn't that entranced.
Whew! It wasn't just me then.

#287 of 287 Old 02-16-2008, 03:40 PM

4. Mojo Mom - written by a local writer/mom about gaining balance as a mom. wouldn't recommend it to a new mom but one who was more sure of her own parenting style and looking to balance that with more time/work/play or whatever. she's a huge fan of pumping, thinks cribs are okay and okay to leave the babe with other care providers. so, that is just a given in the book versus something to explore. i didn't feel comfy with these things back in the day but now my DD sleeps in her own bed most of the time, pretty much weaned and has stayed with her glammy for a few hours at a time. this really isn't so much a book about these things but they stuck out to me. the pursuing goals and getting more for one's mom self was great!

5. The Birth Book, Dr Sears well, i am preggo, again!

6. Art of Parenting Twins...but not preggo with twins. this was a pp doula requirement!

7. Emergency Childbirth, b/c i know how busy my MW is this month and in march.

8. Nurturing Families, another PP Doula requirement

9. The Pregnancy Book, Dr. Sears...once, again...b/c i am

10. Overcoming Post Partum Depression and Anxiety This is a really comprehensive but concise overview of the spectrum of Post Partum Moods that can occur. It was informative for me personally and a great resource for my clients. I will definitely refer people to this book as pregnant people later in their pregnancies. It's brief but really well -written.

11. Mountain Woman Survival, Cliffie Strong yeah, kindda random but i like survival stuff and this was an easy read that i found sitting on my bookshelf one night with insomnia.

12. Spiritual Midwifery, Gaskin I finally got around to finishing this. It gets repetitive so i had to keep putting it back down before all the birth stories became a blur to me.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page