January 2008 Book Challenge - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 287 Old 01-05-2008, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
#1 The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency

Cute. A friend has been talking these up a lot, so I decided to try it. I wouldn't say it was spectacular, but it was a quick, enjoyable read.

~Beth, mama to two amazing girls, ages 12 and 6~

#62 of 287 Old 01-05-2008, 10:09 PM

I've taken a lot of ideas from the book challenges in the past but I'd like to join this year! I'm starting 2008 with The Amber Spyglass (Book III of His Dark Materials)- soooo good! After reading The Golden Compass I was hesitant to start The Subtle Knife b/c the first book was so good but found the second to be even more captivating. I hope the 3rd book keeps the flow!

I work fulltime (although my REAL fulltime job is being a mommy ) so my reading is limited to breaks and lunch hours at work and sometimes after the kids go to bed. I think I'll set my goal at 50 books.

My next planned venture comes highly recommended from a co-worker- Barbara Kingsolvers "Poisonwood Bible". I'm big on fiction but would like to read at least 10 works of non.

thanks for the great suggestions!
#63 of 287 Old 01-05-2008, 11:30 PM

Finally! Our internet access was out due to too much snow (we have a dish). But now it's baaa-aaack.

I think I'm shooting for 52 books this year. I said 50 last year and read 71...but I'm planning on reading some longer ones this year and I'm cautious by nature.

#1: The Thirteenth Tale, by Diane Setterfield
Fiction, set in England. A rare/antique bookseller's daughter (Margaret) gets a letter from a famous fiction writer, Vida Winter. Winter wants Margaret to write her biography. The catch is that in hundreds of interviews with journalists, Winter has told a different story about her childhood every time. Is one of them true? Are none of them? Will Margaret get the real story? Will we?

I liked this a lot - well written, interesting, a great mystery that you don't even realize is a mystery.

#2: Better, by Atul Gawande
Dr. Gawande is a Boston surgeon....but he's also a great writer. I think I tried reading his other book (Complications) and couldn't get into it - but I really enjoyed this one. What resonated for me was his proclamation that better systems and policies would do more to improve worldwide health than any new drug or technology. It's not dry writing, though - very engaging. He's on staff at the New Yorker.

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#64 of 287 Old 01-05-2008, 11:52 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
#1 The Know-It-All, One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World by A.J. Jacobs

http://www.amazon.com/Know-All-Humbl...9587793&sr=8-2

This book is both laugh-out-loud funny and quite cerebral at the same time. The author recounts his year (plus) of trying to read the entire Encyclopedia Britannica, a feat his father had tried previously but had failed on. (He's pretty proud of himself when he gets beyond "B," where his father stopped.)

And it's sort of a memoir, too.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#65 of 287 Old 01-06-2008, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufomander View Post
It's weird to be back at #1, isn't it?

#1 Everything Must Change: Jesus, Global Crises, and a Revolution of Hope by Brian D. McLaren

Good stuff. In some ways, it's all so obvious, but it's really not being said in many circles...
this sounds fabulous!

Last year, my goal was to read 25 books and I read 35! Yay! This year, I have already completed:
1. Skinny Bitch, Rory Freedman
2. Last Child in the Woods, Louv
3. The Year After Childbirth, Sheila Kitzinger

I am in the process of reading The Birth Book by Dr. Sears and Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#66 of 287 Old 01-06-2008, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter View Post
this sounds fabulous!

Last year, my goal was to read 25 books and I read 35! Yay! This year, I have already completed:
2. Last Child in the Woods, Louv
3. The Year After Childbirth, Sheila Kitzinger

I am in the process of reading The Birth Book by Dr. Sears and Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin.
Did you enjoy Skinny Bitch? I've been thining about reading it ..

Today I finished my #1 Middlesex after a ten hour reading stretch. DS got used to nursing with a big, heavy book next him. I enjoyed it very much. I would def recommend it. It tells the story of an intersex person, while at the same time weaving in the story of her/his parents and grandparents. I was glued to this book. I enjoyed it for many stylistic reasons as well.

Mama to two lovely boys and a new baby due mid-May 2011
#67 of 287 Old 01-06-2008, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A
#1 The Know-It-All, One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World by A.J. Jacobs

This book is both laugh-out-loud funny and quite cerebral at the same time. The author recounts his year (plus) of trying to read the entire Encyclopedia Britannica, a feat his father had tried previously but had failed on. (He's pretty proud of himself when he gets beyond "B," where his father stopped.)

That sounds like a great book! I will have to see if it is in the library system here.

I've added a handful of books to my growing list of books I'm reading. I have no idea where I'm going to make the time to read them all, but I'm determined to do so. I know I need to do a chapter or two of Don Quixote each night, which is really pretty easy. But I'm also reading a few others that don't like to be put down.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#68 of 287 Old 01-06-2008, 01:34 AM

I'm in!My goal is to read at least 10 commonly reffered to classics.I'm in Anna Karenina.Never read Tolstoy, and pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoy his writing!I've also got Homer's Oddesy on the table-read a few pages, and I like that one too, but not at the same time as Anna Karenina.I also go into fits of reading a sci-fi in 2 days,so I'll say my goal is 15 books overall.I'm also a magaziner, and of course, all my online reading!And the newspapers.
Just finished Orson Scott Card's one about Columbus-cannot think of the title!And I currently have 4 books of his The memory of earth series checked out from the library. I tend to read by Authors and devour all their stuff, then find another.I also like a good series.I'm not counting the books I'm reading with the kids either.

:::
#69 of 287 Old 01-06-2008, 03:33 AM

#1!!!

Coraline by Neil Gaiman
Fast read. Fun in a super creepy way. Seriously scary book. But it wraps up quite nicely.

44 to go. Ha.
#70 of 287 Old 01-06-2008, 10:21 AM

Ooh, I'm in. I'm embarrassed to say that I've hardly read any books at all since my first kid was born almost 4 years ago. I also have a 1 year old now too, so books just haven't been happening. I read on the internet a lot and we get WAY too many magazines so that takes up reading time as well. We get Mother Jones, Harper's, The Sun, Mothering, Organic Gardening, Small Farmer's Journal, and got Utne and The Progressive until recently :

Anyway, I'll set a goal of 30 books this year. I'm on the Harry Potter train right now and I don't think I'll be able to get off until I'm through all 7 (2 down, 5 to go). It's a good way for me to ease back into reading books - I used to be one of those people who read constantly, too. I have a list of about 10-15 other novels I'd like to read and I'd also like to read a few classics and some non-fiction. My list grows every day.
#71 of 287 Old 01-06-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmama View Post
My next planned venture comes highly recommended from a co-worker- Barbara Kingsolvers "Poisonwood Bible". I'm big on fiction but would like to read at least 10 works of non.

thanks for the great suggestions!
Loved The Poisonwood Bible. Read it a couple of times in fact. Then gave it to my mom, who hated it and lost my copy. : Ah well. '

I finished #2 When Smoke Ran Like Water last night. Very scary stuff in there re: our poor environment, air (mostly air anyway) pollution, and long term health effects on both humans and the planet.

Now on to #3 Bitter Pills: Inside the Hazardous World of Legal Drugs. I can't put it down. I'm halfway through already, stayed up half the night. I guess it's especially interesting to me because I'm currently on (and trying to get off of) about 20 different meds, and half of those I have to take to counteract the side effects of the first 10... It's never-ending.
#72 of 287 Old 01-06-2008, 11:35 AM

Ok, I'm going to start out small and give myself a goal of 20 for 2008.

I just finished,

#1 - A Midwife's Story by Penny Armstrong & Sheryl Feldman

Quote:
A gripping first-hand account of midwife Penny Armstrong’s journey from student midwife in ******* to running her own practice among the Amish in rural Pennsylvania, A Midwife’s Story never fails to enlighten, inform and surprise.

Going far beyond mere biography, Armstrong’s journey of self-discovery is ultimately very moving, and it is the honesty with which she describes the world she discovers which makes this book a classic, and essential reading not just for aspiring midwives but to anyone interested in natural birth.
#73 of 287 Old 01-06-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstella View Post
Loved The Poisonwood Bible. Read it a couple of times in fact. Then gave it to my mom, who hated it and lost my copy. : Ah well.
Oh my, how could anyone hate that book , I read it at least twice too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco_mama View Post
Ok, I'm going to start out small and give myself a goal of 20 for 2008.

I just finished,

#1 - A Midwife's Story by Penny Armstrong & Sheryl Feldman
I read that too many years ago and loved it.
#74 of 287 Old 01-06-2008, 01:25 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chellemarie View Post
#1!!!

Coraline by Neil Gaiman
Fast read. Fun in a super creepy way. Seriously scary book. But it wraps up quite nicely.

44 to go. Ha.
This is being made into a movie.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#75 of 287 Old 01-06-2008, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy926 View Post

#1: The Thirteenth Tale, by Diane Setterfield
Fiction, set in England. A rare/antique bookseller's daughter (Margaret) gets a letter from a famous fiction writer, Vida Winter. Winter wants Margaret to write her biography. The catch is that in hundreds of interviews with journalists, Winter has told a different story about her childhood every time. Is one of them true? Are none of them? Will Margaret get the real story? Will we?

I liked this a lot - well written, interesting, a great mystery that you don't even realize is a mystery.
I got this book from paperbackswap.com. I'm glad you liked it. It's on my reading list for this year.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#76 of 287 Old 01-06-2008, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
OK, I'll join. For the past eight years I've been reading 'self-help' books and Harry Potter books. It's time to move on. I won't promise to not read any Harry Potter, but I'm promising myself now to read 12 books in 2008 that I've never read before.

I'm currently reading The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer. I think it's a Regency romance, a term I became familiar with from HP fan fiction. It's clever, adorable and fun.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#77 of 287 Old 01-06-2008, 04:30 PM

I'm still reading Don Quixote (I think I'll be saying that for a few months! ), but I also started yesterday:

Paganism: An Introduction to Earth Centered Religions by Joyce & River Higginbotham

I am really enjoying it and taking a lot of notes/journaling a lot through it. I am on a spiritual quest and it is speaking very strongly to me. I have about 6 books on hold at the library for me too, so we'll be making a trip there this week. That means, though, that we need to read through everything we checked out last week so I can return those. I'm thinking the TV is going to be off more than on around here for a while.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#78 of 287 Old 01-06-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
I just looked at my syllabus and looks like Dr. Goshert cut 3 books from the course in order to spend more time on the 6 that remain:

Rubyfruit Jungle by Rite Mae Brown
I've read this one, it's really a great book. Looking forward to hearing your reviews on the others to see if I want to put them on my list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter View Post
Gunter, I too would like to know what you thought of this book as I'm also thinking about reading it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
Paganism: An Introduction to Earth Centered Religions by Joyce & River Higginbotham
Good luck on your journey, MLW

I'm almost finished with Natural Witchery and I just started Levi's Will. Will post reviews when I'm done with them.

-Rachel

#79 of 287 Old 01-06-2008, 08:39 PM

#1 On Chesil Beach (McEwan)
#2 Twilight (Meyer)

If you haven't read Twilight, you have to go out and get it now... Best page-turner ever, DSD and I finished our own 500-page copies in less than 24 hours. The characters are irresistable, and as cheesy as events that are happening in this vapmire-falls-in-love-with-a-human story, it's impossible not to get hooked. I don't even know what it's magic is. But it is that good!..

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#80 of 287 Old 01-06-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post
I won't promise to not read any Harry Potter, but I'm promising myself now to read 12 books in 2008 that I've never read before.
I have a feeling I might be re-reading HP this year too. I've decided I want DH to read it to me during early labor, and I'm guessing that will make me wanna read the rest while nursing my new little babe.

But for 2008, I've finished my first finally!

#1 Birthing from Within: An Extra-Ordinary Guide to Childbirth Preparation by Pam England
I read this in preparation for my childbirth classes that start next week. It's a wonderful book, but it's a lot to take in. I'm glad I'll have the classes to help reinforce some of it. However, I didn't do the exercises as I was reading. Maybe it would have stuck more if I had tried them as I went along.

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#81 of 287 Old 01-07-2008, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post

I loved this and got quite a few funny looks because of all my laughing out loud,while on an airline flight a couple summers ago.

~Traci, wife to DH 4-88. Mom to 3 homebirthed sons, 22,20&17

The Blue Door Farmhouse & traci.mymomentis.biz

#82 of 287 Old 01-07-2008, 04:08 AM

Well, I decided not to set a certain goal this year. Last year I sort of fizzled after HP. I couldn't get into anything for a while. I read a lot - just not a book cover to cover. I mostly read big chunks of non-fiction. So, who knows what this year holds in store!

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen: I just finished this book. The book was very easy to read. The characters were interesting. The book is set in two time periods - the depression and now. It is the same character telling his story now as a 90 something and then as a college aged man. By a twist of fate, he ends up working on a traveling circus in the Depression era. It was very enjoyable to get to know the cast of the characters on the show. A lot of the book was pretty depressing though. The review kept saying it had such a happy ending, and I just couldn't for the life of me see how that would happen - but it did. Not a fabulous book - but certainly enjoyable.
#83 of 287 Old 01-07-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellemarie View Post
#1!!!

Coraline by Neil Gaiman

44 to go. Ha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post
This is being made into a movie.
It would make a great movie. I am anxious to see it.
#84 of 287 Old 01-07-2008, 01:13 PM

#1 The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz

poor Oscar has a rough time. i love his sister Lola, and his abuela La Inca--well, i wanted to know more about her. there's another book there below the surface. the book is full of modern history of Hispaniola and the experience of life is diaspora--and some of this is heavy duty sad. life under a dictator and all. also, one of the pervasive themes is the reputation Dominican men have with the ladies. (some of the sex talk might be off-putting to certain readers, i suppose. but it is plot related.) Tolkien fans will appreciate Oscar's devotion to him.

i will be regularly checking the table of contents of The New Yorker for the latest stories from Junot Díaz.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#85 of 287 Old 01-07-2008, 02:38 PM

#1 But Enough About Me: How a Small-Town Girl Went from Shag Carpet to the Red Carpet by Jancee Dunn

I just finished this. It was a light, quick read...perfect for rigt after the holidays. VERY funny. This is Jancee Dunn's story of how she went from big-hair Jersey suburbs to profiling celebrities for Rolling Stone. Through the entire process, no matter how cool she appeared to others, she never fully rid herself of her insecure inner geek. It made me love her. The book alternates between her story and little blurbs/"lessons" about various celebrity interviews. It won't change you life, but it'll make you laugh.

#2 Dispatches from the Edge: A Memoir of War, Disasters, and Survival by Anderson Cooper

I'm in the middle of this. This alternates between Cooper's recollections about the stories that he's covered and stories about his life. Both are pretty incredible. So far I'm really enjoying it. Of course, I work in the TV News industry, so I'm a news geek anyway. It's interesting to get a reporter's personal take on the story...instead of hear them read the script.

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

#86 of 287 Old 01-07-2008, 04:59 PM

I get almost all of my books from the library. I have never used paperbackswap, sounds cool though. I never buy books anymore, we have such a tiny house and just don't have the room for adding to what fiction we do have on our shelves. I usually have a pretty good stack of stuff from the library though.

NCD, I just started The Golden Compass on Friday and am almost done with it today. It's fun isn't it?
ps, like the smilie :

So, am done with #1 Pushed by Jennifer Block
Very interesting and while it didn't tell me too much of anything I didn't already know, it was very informative to me in the details and up to date figures. I would recommend everyone read it, especially first time parents. It makes you think quite a bit about the status quo for birth and maternity care here in the US. I was glad to move on to some fun fiction after that though. It did make me pretty angry.
#87 of 287 Old 01-07-2008, 07:19 PM

#2 The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman

LOVED it! Started Friday, finished today. I couldnt put it down.

Quote:
The Golden Compass, a story ostensibly for children but one perhaps even better appreciated by adults. The protagonist of this complex fantasy is young Lyra Belacqua, a precocious orphan growing up within the precincts of Oxford University. But it quickly becomes clear that Lyra's Oxford is not precisely like our own--nor is her world. For one thing, people there each have a personal dæmon, the manifestation of their soul in animal form. For another, hers is a universe in which science, theology, and magic are closely allied.
from amazon.com

Luckily, I already have the Subtle Knife from the library and am starting it right now : (I'm hugging the tree that was turned into my book)
#88 of 287 Old 01-07-2008, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

#1: The Time Machine
by H.G. Wells

My review of The Time Machine can be found here.

#1 The Time Machine

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#89 of 287 Old 01-07-2008, 08:24 PM

Hi, mind if I join in this year? I'm hoping to get more reading done this year as my boys are actually playing together for small increments and allowing me to read once in a while.

I'm going to set a goal of 30 books for the year for now. That seems ambitious for me but I figure if I meet it and have time at the end of the year I can always be an overachiever.

We're going to the library tomorrow so I'll pick up some good stuff then. At the moment I'm trying to read All The Pretty Horses, but I'm finding his style a little hard to get into. I'm off to read through this whole thread and hopefully find some great reads to pick up tomorrow. TIA!!!

One by one the days are slipping up behind you ~ One by one the sweetest days of life go by :
-Woodie Guthrie
#90 of 287 Old 01-07-2008, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
#1 - The Book of Small by Emily Carr

I picked this up at a library book sale without knowing anything about it except that it looked kind of interesting. I had never heard of Emily Carr, but according to the book cover, she is "generally considered Canada's most famous woman painter." The description on the cover: "'Small' was an intense, imaginative child and the scenes around her impressed themselves indelibly on her mind; so much so that as a grown woman she was able to call up for her readers vivid vignettes of life in Victoria, B.C. as observed by a little girl toward the end of the [19th] Century." I liked it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page