WoW Tribe 2008!!! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 1669 Old 01-26-2008, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You have to have a dagger in your main hand to use backstab, ambush ect.
#32 of 1669 Old 01-26-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
You have to have a dagger in your main hand to use backstab, ambush ect.

Yep. Anything that says "requires daggers" means main hand.

I really want to get into raiding one day. Never have gotten there, because my main is a rogue on a fairly old server, so noone needed ANOTHER rogue. (uh, if anyone needs on in their guild, I'm at 65 and will transfer servers and work my butt off to level! )
#33 of 1669 Old 01-26-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonflyBlue View Post
Tanking is pulling one out of a mob to attack at a time, right?
My main is a druid tank.

A 'tank' is essentially a meat shield. They generally have high armor class, high hit points, and a fair amount of dodge/block/parry (unless you're a druid like me, and you just get dodge because we can't carry shields).

Basic game mechanics:

DPS classes (DPS = damage per second) - these classes do large amounts of damage, but tend to have low hit points, low armor, and limited survival skills for surviving hard hitting opponents. Rogues, mages, warlocks, enhancement shaman, cat druids, shadow priests, and hunters are the most prominent dps classes. However there are a few arms/fury warriors who dps as well as retribution paladins - though generally not as effectively as the prominent dps classes.

Tanking classes - these classes have high armor and hit points, but generally don't do a lot of damage. Their attacks while generally weak, generate a high amount of threat and keep mobs focused on them. Warriors, feral druids, and paladins are best suited for tanking.

Healing classes - Priests, shaman, resto druids, and paladins.

Basically the way it works is, tanks absorb damage and keep monsters busy while the rest of the group (besides the healer(s)) 'burn him down' - damage him immensely so he will die quickly. In most group situations, the healer's primary job is to keep the tank healed.

CC = crowd control. A crowd control ability is essentially a way to keep a mob occupied until it can be tanked/dps'd. Some examples include mage's sheep ability which is a polymorph that turns the mob into a sheep for a period of time, and a rogue's sap ability which stuns a humanoid target for a period of time. The best kinds of CC are renewable - meaning that they have a short cooldown (preferrably shorter than their durration with no diminishing returns) and can be cast in battle.

In Kara (which is an expansive, lvl 70, 10 person dungeon) and in most heroics, I play the role of 'off-tank', which can also be considered a renewable CC. I keep mobs busy until they can be dps'd. (I'm also an off-healer and a dps addition, but that's a whole separate post!)

Another term you're likely to hear in an instance group is 'kite' - which means to keep a mob following you, outside of melee range but within ranged attack while inflicting enough damage to keep him fixated on you. Hunters generally kite well (if they know what they're doing).

Making more sense? Have you done an instance with a group yet? It will likely make more sense once you have...
#34 of 1669 Old 01-26-2008, 08:44 PM

Thanks for the advice, that makes sense. Arduinna, your sig is so awesome!
#35 of 1669 Old 01-26-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karma_momma View Post
Thanks for the advice, that makes sense. Arduinna, your sig is so awesome!
Thanks I stole it from an allakhazam quote of the day from last year
#36 of 1669 Old 01-27-2008, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh, so you ladies have a guild on Runetotem? Fantastic, I might have to join (because what I *really* need is another alt!) Looks like it's Alliance side? I want to try a druid...I just need to get over my dislike of nelfs...

My alliance guild on Bronzebeard is an all female guild called Daughters of the Alliance. Pretty big and they're doing Kara right now if anyone ever wants to join up there, their info is at http://community.livejournal.com/wow_dota/profile
#37 of 1669 Old 01-27-2008, 03:14 PM

Ugh. If it wasn't PvE I would consider sending my priest over to play on Bronzebeard, but I don't think I could ever transfer back to PvP after being on a PvE server.

An Official, Approved Signatureâ¢
#38 of 1669 Old 01-27-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post
Oh, so you ladies have a guild on Runetotem? Fantastic, I might have to join (because what I *really* need is another alt!) Looks like it's Alliance side? I want to try a druid...I just need to get over my dislike of nelfs...

My alliance guild on Bronzebeard is an all female guild called Daughters of the Alliance. Pretty big and they're doing Kara right now if anyone ever wants to join up there, their info is at http://community.livejournal.com/wow_dota/profile

Yeah, by all means, come join us in MsAdventure Co.!! We're having a lot of fun.

I'll check out your other guild with my rogue. Is it ok to say you referred me? I love my little social guild on Khadgar and I'm definitely leaving my alts there, but our 70s moved on, so I'm kinda lonely being the highest level active member!

I really go through phases with playing...sometimes I wanna be on every free moment, sometimes I just check in for a few minutes. I didn't feel like playing when I was pregnant, but now I'm back to obsession!
#39 of 1669 Old 01-27-2008, 08:19 PM

Let's see, i have:

Momerath-70 BE mage-malfurion
Xoezane- 63 UD priest - malfurion

Xoe-70 NE druid-Akama
Pidgeon -70 Gn Mage -Akama

and a metric ton of alts!
I made a gnome mage on Runetotem, I only logged in once though..i need to do it again sometime lol.

Wife to one : Mama to 4 Gramma to 1 :
#40 of 1669 Old 01-27-2008, 11:37 PM

Hi

Dh and I just started playing a couple weeks ago and are loving it.

So far I'm just on the Auchindoun server. I've got a lvl 18 Hunter (Llarissa) and a lvl 13 druid (Kalliena)

I haven't tried aliance yet, but am enjoying horde so far
#41 of 1669 Old 01-28-2008, 12:20 AM

Hee! I haven't kept up very well with this thread. Too busy studying... and playing WoW. I'll list my characters:

Akaitia 70 Hunter - Dark Iron (A)
Plotz 26 Paladin - Dark Iron (A)
Alaeriel 70 Druid - Shadow Council (A)
Vaeriel 4 Mage - Sargeras (H)

Looks like there's another MDCer on Shadow Council - I rarely play my druid or ShC alts anymore but I'll have to say hi if I see you on!
#42 of 1669 Old 01-28-2008, 11:44 AM

Amalthea 39 Pally - Bloodhoof

I have a toon on Runetotem, but I haven't played her much. I do wanna play with MDC but my pally is starting to get a lot more fun.
#43 of 1669 Old 01-28-2008, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by myjulybabes View Post
Yeah, by all means, come join us in MsAdventure Co.!! We're having a lot of fun.

I'll check out your other guild with my rogue. Is it ok to say you referred me? I love my little social guild on Khadgar and I'm definitely leaving my alts there, but our 70s moved on, so I'm kinda lonely being the highest level active member!
Yep, just tell them Desantha told you about it

I joined up on Runetotem as Shiallia!
#44 of 1669 Old 01-29-2008, 12:36 PM

With the servers down I was reading funnys. http://www.blizzard.com/wow/screensh...dex=173&Set=64 It was the same in Runescape, a perfectly normal outfit or set of armor on a guy became a bikini in my character and I hated it.

:
#45 of 1669 Old 01-29-2008, 12:41 PM

#46 of 1669 Old 01-29-2008, 12:48 PM

You must be an addict :P I've been spending my server downtime on the i can has cheezburger site. My kids and I have been laughing uproariously for a good hour so far =D Only 3 more to go!

Wife to one : Mama to 4 Gramma to 1 :
#47 of 1669 Old 01-29-2008, 12:52 PM

No, my daughter just got me up earlier then I wanted to get up. Now that I'm really awake I have work to do around the house.

:
#48 of 1669 Old 01-29-2008, 03:11 PM

/sigh

Think I can hit 67 today on my rogue? I'm about 1/3 of the way up

ok probably not without a dungeon run. I'm not sure how much drive I have today.
#49 of 1669 Old 01-29-2008, 08:00 PM

Aeryn - 51 NE Druid (feral/DPS) - Khaz Modan
Xykon - 40 Undead Warlock - Khaz Modan
Alizah - 19 Troll Rogue - Archimonde

I'm also looking for a better server for horde (PvE). Khaz Modan is more alliance, which sucks for horde, especially since I prefer playing horde!

SAHM to Declan (12/12/06) and Blythe (2/9/09)
#50 of 1669 Old 01-29-2008, 08:20 PM

If it's a PVE server why does it matter if there is more of one faction?

Trollbane I believe has more horde than alliance, although we still get our fair share of XR raids and alliance killing quest givers ect.
#51 of 1669 Old 01-29-2008, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry I haven't updated the first post yet, ds2 hasn't been feeling well. Lots of snuggling going on here atm (& 1 handed wowing, he keeps telling me to play ). I'll get it updated when he's better.

Liked this one
http://www.blizzard.com/wow/screensh...dex=165&Set=64

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#52 of 1669 Old 01-30-2008, 01:59 AM

Quote:
If it's a PVE server why does it matter if there is more of one faction?

Trollbane I believe has more horde than alliance, although we still get our fair share of XR raids and alliance killing quest givers ect.
It's hard to find people to group with for instances, and I have a much harder time selling stuff on the AH.

SAHM to Declan (12/12/06) and Blythe (2/9/09)
#53 of 1669 Old 01-30-2008, 02:21 AM

Ok so the problem is there a low population of horde, not that there is more alliance than horde. Gotcha. Don't come to my server then cause it won't fix your problems. I will say that the horde AH on every server I've played on has always had less stuff listed and less sales per listing in general than alliance. Stuff just doesn't sell as much. I'm not sure if horde players are more likely to just sell to the vendor or give to guildies or farm any item they want or what. But yeah stuff doesn't sell nearly as well and is often cheaper than in the alliance AH.

I have one alliance charecter that I never play that has cash so I can shop the alliance AH when I need stuff I can't get on horde and am too lazy to farm for.
#54 of 1669 Old 02-01-2008, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post
Found the Daughters of the Horde there too. Transferred an alt toon over.

An Official, Approved Signatureâ¢
#55 of 1669 Old 02-01-2008, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Are we supposed to list our toons here?

Just counting my toons above level 10, I have 8 on Proudmoore, 4 on Khadgar, 3 on Nordrassil, 2 on Azjol-Nerub (but I never play there), 2 on Scarlet Crusade (but I rarely play there), 1 on Runetotem. I also have one on Kul Tiras that I use to talk to my friend who has a bunch of 70s there.

I have a level 70 night elf druid on Proudmoore named Viola, and a level 70 blood elf paladin on Nordrassil named Moonlily. I have a lot of flower names.

My character on Runetotem is Placebia, a level 14 dwarf priest
And I just started a tauren druid on Nordrassil on Tuesday who is level 12. Her name is Hyacinthus. I only mention her because I am actually going to try and level her quickly.
#56 of 1669 Old 02-01-2008, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I have one alliance charecter that I never play that has cash so I can shop the alliance AH when I need stuff I can't get on horde and am too lazy to farm for.
I had to do that on Nordrassil. Dark Runes were going for 30 g each on Horde side, usually 1-5 g each on the Alliance. So I kept buying them and reselling them on the Horde side, even after getting the ones I needed.
#57 of 1669 Old 02-01-2008, 07:55 PM

I didn't realize there was a new thread!

I play-

Dawna 70 mage (H) - Tortheldrin
Juantia 63 shaman (H) - Tortheldrin

and I have a lowbie on Runetotem- Kaye (A)
#58 of 1669 Old 02-02-2008, 03:10 AM

WOOT! Patch 2.4 info

http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php

Yea! to the removal of diminishing returns in PvP! And yea! to instant spendable honor and no more estimates and waiting for caluculation!

Yea to spell haste change

Spell Haste: Spell haste now reduces the global cooldown on spells, down to a minimum of 1 second. This change does not apply to melee and ranged abilities.

Yea! to PvP vendors in Shatt, no more need to go to Org to spend your honor!
#59 of 1669 Old 02-02-2008, 11:39 AM

oh the pain. dh and I were trying to do scholo last night just the two of us so my 66 'lock can get her mount... spent 2.5 hours on it, making good progress... and it reset on us!

eta: hmm, nm, I didn't realize that thigns would eventually respawn. oh well.
#60 of 1669 Old 02-02-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
WOOT! Patch 2.4 info

http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php

Yea! to the removal of diminishing returns in PvP! And yea! to instant spendable honor and no more estimates and waiting for caluculation!

Yea to spell haste change

Spell Haste: Spell haste now reduces the global cooldown on spells, down to a minimum of 1 second. This change does not apply to melee and ranged abilities.

Yea! to PvP vendors in Shatt, no more need to go to Org to spend your honor!

for a minute i thought you meant DR on sheeps and cyclone and sap and stuff and i was like WHAT?! but then i read it and that sounds very good, i like that change a lot.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page