February 2008 Book Challenge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-01-2008, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hopefully everyone got off to a good start in January. I actually got 17 books read last month which is a much better start than last year.

Since it's the First, I thought I'd get our new month's thread up and running. The rules are simple. Post the books you read throughout the month with a quick whether or not you liked it and/or you'd recommend it.

Some of us are number our books because we've set goals for the year, but that's by no means a requirement for jumping into the thread. Its mostly about sharing the good books we've read and steering away from the bad ones.

So, with that, avante and a happy reading February to everyone!

(January's thread is HERE, if anyone new to the Book Challenge idea wants to see what we're doing)

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2008, 06:03 AM

This is great. Can I please join you?
Old 02-01-2008, 07:36 AM

I've just bought:

Salman Rushdie's The Satanic Verses

Richard Carrier's Sense and Goodness without God: A Defence of Metaphysical Naturalism

John Connolly's The Book of Lost Things

I'm hoping to tackle all three in February

Peace
Old 02-01-2008, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthpastormama View Post
This is great. Can I please join you?
Come on in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imogen View Post
Salman Rushdie's The Satanic Verses
I've been curious to read this. You'll have to tell us what you think of it.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Old 02-01-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
Come on in!

I've been curious to read this. You'll have to tell us what you think of it.
Yes, I've picked it up in the bookstore a LOT of times, but have never bought it. I've started to read Book Of Lost Things first which so far seems really good.

Young boy's Mother dies of an illness. Young boy and Mother shared a passion for books and stories, especially fantasy stories. After Mother's death he starts fainting spells and finds that he is able to hear books talking. I've just reached the part where the crooked man has been introduced. Won't know for certain which direction it is taking until I've read some more, but it is a good read so far.

Peace

btw, I wanted to say that I am a regular reader of your blog, I enjoy your reviews a lot
Old 02-01-2008, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imogen View Post
btw, I wanted to say that I am a regular reader of your blog, I enjoy your reviews a lot
Why thank you.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:11 AM

Book of Lost Things is good! I read it last year.

#5: I Am Not Myself These Days: A Memoir, by Josh Kilmer-Purcell

Picked this up in the bookstore...it looked interesting and I had a gift card...otherwise, I probably wouldn't have -- why do paperbacks cost $14 now??

Anyway - it's the memoir of a drag queen and his year in New York. Fast read, but didn't do a whole lot for me. I wanted to hear more about him and his motivations, and less about how much vodka he drank, etc. I guess it wasn't self-revealing enough for me.

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:15 PM

NCD - Thank you for linking back to the last thread. I love it when you do that.

I have read two books out of my goal of 45. I'm going to have to get movin' over here.

I'm reading Outlander by Diana Gabaldon and I like it. It's been hectic around here (pray your children don't like basketball! It is stress!) and I can't find much time to read. I'm also trying to find the rest of this series in quality (big) paperbacks. Some sellers say the book is "paperback" but don't distinguish between quality and mass market. Frustrating.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:38 PM

I didn't know you could get the Outlander series in big paperbacks! I have the first two in mass-market. What's most daunting is the page count...I'm not used to reading 800+-page books!

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy926 View Post
I didn't know you could get the Outlander series in big paperbacks! I have the first two in mass-market. What's most daunting is the page count...I'm not used to reading 800+-page books!
When I was looking on ebay, I found an auction that had at least one quality paperback. I don't know that every title is available that way. I was just really, really hoping!

There's a lot of talking, so it reads pretty fast. I sometimes skim scenery descriptions, too. But for books this size, I need paperbacks. Carpal tunnel in my right hand is aggravated by heavy books if I read them in bed.

I am four thousand years old.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy926 View Post
Book of Lost Things is good! I read it last year.
I managed to demolish this book yesterday, honestly, I just couldn't put it down. I enjoyed it so much.

Peace
Old 02-02-2008, 04:13 PM

February's Books ~

#17 Cruel and Unusual...Patricia Cornwell
#18 The Body Farm...Patricial Cornwell
#19 All That Remains...Patricia Cornwell
#20 Divine Canine...Monks of New Skete

Mama to: turtle 6August01 and frog 28May05 and ttc#3
Old 02-03-2008, 11:13 AM

#10. Forever... (Blume)

It is a young adult novel about first real relationship, and the question of "will it last forever". Kids exploring sexuality and their own commitment to each other. Sounded interesting, but I didn't care about the characters. I thought it could have become a much better book if the characters were developed better. It was ok, but something important was missing.

January '08: #1. On Chesil Beach (McEwan), #2. Twilight (Meyer), #3. New Moon (Meyer), #4. Eclipse (Meyer), #5. Sold (McCormick), #6. The Continuum Concept (Liedloff), #7. A Great and Terrible Beauty (Bray), #8. Time Traveler's Wife (Niffenegger), #9. Papa, My Father (Buscaglia)

P.S. Whoever thought of this yearly book challenge idea - Thank you! I'm really feeling motivated to read all of a sudden, and I haven't read this much for years!

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
Old 02-03-2008, 03:54 PM

Whew, somehow I missed out on last month's thread. Glad to be back!

4. Flora Segunda by Ysabeau S. Wilce - YA/Fantasy
Really cute story about...well the subtitle says it all: "Being the Magickal Mishaps of a Girl of Spirit, Her Glass-Gazing Sidekick, Two Ominous Butlers (One Blue), a House with Eleven Thousand Rooms, and a Red Dog." Really cute. The author is a military historian, and it shows in a very interesting way in the backdrop of the story. I recommend this one to fans of YA. It has an inspired, jaunty feel to it while still dealing with serious themes of growing up, family, and responsibility.

-----------
1. Iron Kissed - Patricia Briggs 2. China Mountain Zhang - Maureen McHugh 3. Light - M. John Harrison 4. Flora Segunda - Ysabeau Wilce

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
Old 02-03-2008, 06:28 PM

#6: Water for Elephants, by Sara Gruen

A friend of mine gave this to me...I had heard some things about it but wasn't all that interested in reading it. I picked it up a couple of days ago and got into it right away - it was great. Very easy to read, but not brain candy. One of the reviewers sort of compared her voice to John Irving's....and while I really enjoyed a couple of Irving's books (A Prayer for Owen Meany and Cider House Rules), I think I like Gruen's voice better.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:52 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
#5 The Right to Write: An Invitation and Initiation Into the Writing Life by Julia Cameron.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Old 02-03-2008, 11:27 PM

#4 The Secret, Rhoda Byrne

Quote:
self-help book on the law of attraction as a groundbreaking and life-changing work, finding validation in its thesis that one's positive thoughts are powerful magnets that attract wealth, health, happiness...
#1-Garden of Beasts, #2-Passporter Guide to WDW, #3-Skylight Confessions, #4 - The Secret
Old 02-03-2008, 11:35 PM

Hi, I've wanted to join, but haven't gotten in at the beginning of the month 'til now.

I could probably figure out what I read in January, I've always wanted to keep a list but never would write it down all the time.

I'm a multi-book reader(I'll misplace a book generally!), so in the middle of 2 currently:
Darcy & Elizabeth and Skinny Dipping.

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
Old 02-04-2008, 12:25 PM

Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs by Scott Cunningham
This was a wonderful in-depth look at herbs and their magical and ritual purposes. I learned so much from this one and would highly recommend it for anyone interested in working with herbs for ritual purposes. The first part of the book talks about the different ways and reasons to use herbs and how to prepare yourself and surrounding for using herbs. The next part is the encyclopedia part. Mr. Cunningham pulls out all the stops on each herb telling you gender vibrations, purposes, planet, element, and deity associations and so much more. This will certainly remain on my bookshelf as a reference guide for years!

On a side note, I'm thinking I need to up my goal from 25 books this year. I've really been getting through a lot of books with the challenge to motivate me. Or maybe I'll just wait and see but at this rate I'm looking more at like 50 book by the end of the year!

#1 Natural Witchery: Intuitive, Personal & Practical Magick by Ellen Dugan #2 Levi's Will by W. Dale Cramer #3 Easy Tarot: Learn to Read the Cards Once and For All by Josephine Ellershaw #4 The Elements of Pantheism: Understanding the Divinity in Nature and the Universe by Paul A. Harrison

-Rachel

Old 02-04-2008, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
"Whittington" by Alan Armstrong

I read this for my children's lit reading group. It's about a group of animals living in a barn and the interaction between different species - also a couple of kids who can understand them. Also intertwined is the story the cat tells about Dick Whittington, the owner of his grandfather.

I'm also about halfway through "The Know It All" which is really funny but I have to read it in small doses.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Old 02-04-2008, 07:29 PM

#8 It's So You, 35 Women Write About Personal Expression Through Fashion and Style edited by Michelle Tea

Pretty intriguing. I enjoyed it, and it read quickly. A lot of the essays approach the topic of fashion with an eye on feminism, classism, homophobia, etc. So, it's interesting to see where that leads. Really fun read!
Old 02-04-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremontmama View Post
#8 It's So You, 35 Women Write About Personal Expression Through Fashion and Style edited by Michelle Tea

Pretty intriguing. I enjoyed it, and it read quickly. A lot of the essays approach the topic of fashion with an eye on feminism, classism, homophobia, etc. So, it's interesting to see where that leads. Really fun read!
This sounds really interesting! I'm a fan of Michelle Tea, so I'll have to keep my eye out for this one.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
Old 02-04-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
This sounds really interesting! I'm a fan of Michelle Tea, so I'll have to keep my eye out for this one.
She does the first essay in the book.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:25 AM

#6.5 I didn’t finish A.J. Jacobs The Know-It-All. It started to feel like the task of finishing his book was as onerous as reading the encyclopedia myself.

#7 The Chocolate War (audio) – I enjoyed this book and the portrayal of the characters, but it makes me dread having teenage children.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendtoall View Post
#6.5 I didn’t finish A.J. Jacobs The Know-It-All. It started to feel like the task of finishing his book was as onerous as reading the encyclopedia myself.
I'm kind of there myself - his writing is funny but I need more than that to keep turning pages. It's fun to read in small doses but I'm ready for something with a plot.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Old 02-05-2008, 01:50 AM

#7 The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

I loved this book until the last two sections, then it was a chore to get through them. . .took me several days. I did love all the descriptions of the Congo and loved that the book was told by the females in the story. I highly recommend this book!! For those of you who haven't read this, it is the story of a Baptist minister taking his family (wife and four daughters) into the Congo to convert the people living there to Christianity. Its a totally awesome read!!

January '08: #1. Tuesdays with Morrie (Albom); #2. Searching for the Sound My life with the Grateful Dead (Lesh); #3. Fastfood Nation (Schlosser); #4. Along Came a Spider (Patterson) #5. Divine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood (Wells); #6. The Thirteenth Tale (Setterfield)

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemom2 View Post
#7 The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
When I first read this book (a couple of years ago (right before it was made fashionable by Oprah )) I didn't like it right after reading it, however, the more time that has passed since I read it, the more I like it and recognize it for the masterpiece that it is.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Old 02-05-2008, 11:19 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendtoall View Post

While I loved this book, I do have to admit that I "skimmed" through some pages.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Old 02-06-2008, 05:15 AM

#8 Twilight by Stephanie Meyer
a good one day read, can't wait to read the next in the series!

January '08: #1. Tuesdays with Morrie (Albom); #2. Searching for the Sound My life with the Grateful Dead (Lesh); #3. Fastfood Nation (Schlosser); #4. Along Came a Spider (Patterson) #5. Divine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood (Wells); #6. The Thirteenth Tale (Setterfield) #7. The Poisonwood Bible (Kingsolver)

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

User Tag List