March 2008 Book Challenge - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-10-2008, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufomander View Post
One of the highlights for me was learning that ampersand (&) was once considered the 26th letter of the alphabet and was pronounced "and". When children were saying the alphabet, they would end with "and, per se, 'and'" and from that we've gotten "ampersand". Someone out there has to be as fascinated by this as I was...Right? Right?

Me! I've always wondered where the word "ampersand" came from and never bothered to research it...and I had no idea & used to be a letter. But if it was the 26th letter of the alphabet, were we missing one of the others? (Or did you mean 27th and I am reading too much into things, as usual)

#13: Loving What Is, by Byron Katie

I've been meaning to read this for awhile, and blew through it because I was fascinated by her ideas. Not that they are new ideas - her whole thing is that we create our own reality using thoughts and "stories" and we often use these to our disadvantage and make ourselves angry and sad. She suggests writing down a diatribe against someone you have difficulties with (spouse, boss, friend, child) and then asking 4 questions of each statement: Is it true? Can I absolutely know that it's true? How do I feel when I think that thought? Who would I be without that thought? Like I said, it's not new, but it's a different way to think about things that resonated with me.

In other news, one of our fave used bookstores is closing.

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2008, 12:44 PM

Eldest by, Christopher Paolini - I have been reading this stupid book for two months. I am finally, finally done. The last 150 pages were pretty good. Unfortunately, you had to read the first 500 to get to that point! This book is the sequel to Eragon. It was dry, long, wordy, and in many, many places - uninteresting.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:52 AM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kofduke View Post
Into thin Air, Krakauer

This was absolutely fascinating!
My husband just read this and really liked it, too.

I just read Before You Know Kindness by Chris Bohjalian. It would have made a great short story, or even a good made-for-TV-movie. But, as a 400 page novel, it Just. Kept. Dragging. On.!!!

And the vegan character is WAY over-stereotyped.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Old 03-11-2008, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Old 03-11-2008, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

#30: Angels in America, A Gay Fantasia on National Themes, Part One: Millennium Approaches
by Tony Kushner

My review of Angels in America, Part One can be found here.

#1 The Time Machine, #2 The Shining (Audio): Redux, #3 Curious George, #4 Animal Farm: A Fairy Story, #5 The Tragedy of Othello, Moor of Venice (Bantam Anthology), #6 A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four, #7 "A Study in Emerald", #8 The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead, #9 Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them, #10 Quidditch Through the Ages, #11 On the Day You Were Born, #12 The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark (Bantam Anthology), #13 The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare, #14 Rubyfruit Jungle, #15 John, Paul, George & Ben, #16 The Merchant of Venice (Bantam Anthology): Redux, #17 Dinotopia: A Land Apart from Time, #18 Trent's Last Case, #19 Cyrano de Bergerac: A Heroic Comedy in Five Acts, #20 Animal Dads, #21 Faggots, #22 A Day with Wilbur Robinson, #23 And Then There Were None, #24 Eating Between the Lines: The Supermarket Shopper's Guide to the Truth Behind Food Labels, #25 Henry IV, Part One, #26 Zami, A New Spelling of My Name: A Biomythography, #27 Twelfth Night, or What You Will (Bantam Anthology), #28 Murder Must Advertise, #29 Stagestruck: Theater, AIDS, and the Marketing of Gay America, #30 Angels in America, A Gay Fantasia on National Themes, Part One: Millennium Approaches

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Old 03-11-2008, 01:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
"Whitethron Woods" by Maeve Binchy

I just love Maeve Binchy - her books are just so enjoyable. Nothing deep but just good stories to curl up with. This one did not disappoint - it was actually a whole bunch of stories of different characters that are linked togther by St. Ann's Well where people come to pray. They want to destroy it to put in a road and it evokes strong emotions in everybody.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Old 03-11-2008, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter

#31: The Tragedy of Macbeth (Bantam Anthology)
by William Shakespeare
edited by David Bevington
anthologized in Four Tragedies: Hamlet, Othello, King Lear, Macbeth

My review of Macbeth can be found here.

#1 The Time Machine, #2 The Shining (Audio): Redux, #3 Curious George, #4 Animal Farm: A Fairy Story, #5 The Tragedy of Othello, Moor of Venice (Bantam Anthology), #6 A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four, #7 "A Study in Emerald", #8 The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead, #9 Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them, #10 Quidditch Through the Ages, #11 On the Day You Were Born, #12 The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark (Bantam Anthology), #13 The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare, #14 Rubyfruit Jungle, #15 John, Paul, George & Ben, #16 The Merchant of Venice (Bantam Anthology): Redux, #17 Dinotopia: A Land Apart from Time, #18 Trent's Last Case, #19 Cyrano de Bergerac: A Heroic Comedy in Five Acts, #20 Animal Dads, #21 Faggots, #22 A Day with Wilbur Robinson, #23 And Then There Were None, #24 Eating Between the Lines: The Supermarket Shopper's Guide to the Truth Behind Food Labels, #25 Henry IV, Part One, #26 Zami, A New Spelling of My Name: A Biomythography, #27 Twelfth Night, or What You Will (Bantam Anthology), #28 Murder Must Advertise, #29 Stagestruck: Theater, AIDS, and the Marketing of Gay America, #30 Angels in America, A Gay Fantasia on National Themes, Part One: Millennium Approaches, #31 The Tragedy of Macbeth (Bantam Anthology)

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Old 03-11-2008, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter

#32: Stone of Destiny: The Story of Lady Macbeth
by Robert DeMaria

My review of Stone of Destiny can be found here.

#1 The Time Machine, #2 The Shining (Audio): Redux, #3 Curious George, #4 Animal Farm: A Fairy Story, #5 The Tragedy of Othello, Moor of Venice (Bantam Anthology), #6 A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four, #7 "A Study in Emerald", #8 The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead, #9 Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them, #10 Quidditch Through the Ages, #11 On the Day You Were Born, #12 The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark (Bantam Anthology), #13 The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare, #14 Rubyfruit Jungle, #15 John, Paul, George & Ben, #16 The Merchant of Venice (Bantam Anthology): Redux, #17 Dinotopia: A Land Apart from Time, #18 Trent's Last Case, #19 Cyrano de Bergerac: A Heroic Comedy in Five Acts, #20 Animal Dads, #21 Faggots, #22 A Day with Wilbur Robinson, #23 And Then There Were None, #24 Eating Between the Lines: The Supermarket Shopper's Guide to the Truth Behind Food Labels, #25 Henry IV, Part One, #26 Zami, A New Spelling of My Name: A Biomythography, #27 Twelfth Night, or What You Will (Bantam Anthology), #28 Murder Must Advertise, #29 Stagestruck: Theater, AIDS, and the Marketing of Gay America, #30 Angels in America, A Gay Fantasia on National Themes, Part One: Millennium Approaches, #31 The Tragedy of Macbeth (Bantam Anthology), #32 Stone of Destin: The Story of Lady Macbeth

Old 03-11-2008, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenifer76 View Post
#3 "Waiting for Daisy" by Peggy Orenstein
Did you like it?

I enjoyed the book. I got it after reading an excerpt in a magazine.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:08 AM

#11 Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
I was worried about reading this book. I'm not much for religious books right now in my life. However, I really enjoyed reading it and am hoping one day to go to Italy, India, and Bali. . .she makes them sound like such great places to visit/live one day (and I do have the travel bug like she has)

"From The New Yorker
At the age of thirty-one, Gilbert moved with her husband to the suburbs of New York and began trying to get pregnant, only to realize that she wanted neither a child nor a husband. Three years later, after a protracted divorce, she embarked on a yearlong trip of recovery, with three main stops: Rome, for pleasure (mostly gustatory, with a special emphasis on gelato); an ashram outside of Mumbai, for spiritual searching; and Bali, for "balancing." These destinations are all on the beaten track, but Gilbert's exuberance and her self-deprecating humor enliven the proceedings: recalling the first time she attempted to speak directly to God, she says, "It was all I could do to stop myself from saying, 'I've always been a big fan of your work"

2008 Book Challenge: #1. Tuesdays with Morrie (Albom); #2. Searching for the Sound My life with the Grateful Dead (Lesh); #3. Fastfood Nation (Schlosser); #4. Along Came a Spider (Patterson) #5. Divine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood (Wells); #6. The Thirteenth Tale (Setterfield) #7. The Poisonwood Bible (Kingsolver); #8. Twilight (Meyer); #9. New Moon (Meyer); #10. Eclipse (Meyer)

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:18 AM

#8 Anatomy of the Spirit: The Seven Stages of Power and Healing By Caroline Myss, PH.D

Quote:
What sets Anatomy of the Spirit apart is Carolyn Myss's ability to blend diverse religious and spiritual beliefs into a succinct discussion of health and human anatomy. For example, when describing the seven energy fields of the human body, she fuses Christian sacraments with Hindu chakras and the Kabbalah's Tree of Life. Fortunately, Myss is a skilled writer as well as researcher, able to ground her extensive spiritual and religious discussions by using real-life stories and a tight writing style. Those who are squeamish with the notion of biography affecting biology will find this book a struggle (in one chapter, Myss links pancreatic cancer with a man's refusal to unburden his life and start fulfilling his dreams). Many, however, hail Myss for creating a valuable contribution to the ongoing exploration of spirituality and health.

#1 A Midwife's Story By Penny Armstrong & Sheryl Feldman
#2 Jesus and The Essenes By Dolores Cannon
#3 The Book of Secrets: Unlocking the Hidden Dimensions of Your Life By Deepak Chopra
#4 Spiritual Midwifery By Ina May Gaskin (4th Ed.)
#5 A New Christianity For a New World By John Shelby Spong
#6 The Third Jesus: The Christ We Cannot Ignore By Deepak Chopra
#7 Paths to Becoming a Midwife: Getting an Education
Old 03-11-2008, 01:17 PM

The Final Confession of Mabel Stark by Robert Hough
Quote:
In the 1910s and '20s, during the golden age of the big top, Mabel Stark was the superstar of the Ringling Brothers Barnum and Bailey Circus, and one of America's most eccentric celebrities. A tiny, curvaceous Kentucky blonde in a white leather bodysuit, Mabel was brazen, sexually adventurous, and suicidally courageous. The Final Confession of Mabel Stark is Robert Hough's brilliant, highly acclaimed novelization of her fantastic life. It is 1968 — Mabel is just turning eighty and is about to lose her job at Jungleland, a Southern California game park. Devastated by the loss of her cats, she looks back on her life and her five husbands: the fifth would one day be tragically mauled by her one true love, her ferocious yet amorous 550-pound Bengal tiger Rajah. Starting with her escape from a mental institution to begin her circus career as a burlesque dancer, Mabel's exquisitely voiced confession is a live wire of dark secrets, broken dreams, and comic escapades. It is a brilliant, exhilarating story of an America before television and movies, when the spectacle of the circus reigned and an unlikely woman captured the public imagination with her singular charm and audacity.
I'm reading Living Like Ed right now.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanwinds View Post
March's Books ~

#40 The Kite Runner...Khaled Hosseini
#41 A Thousand Splendid Suns...Khaled Hosseini
#42 Skeleton Crew...Beverly Connor
#43 Airtight Case...Beverly Connor
#44 Daughters of the Earth: The Lives and Legends of American Indian
Women...Carolyn Niethammer
#45 Bones to Ashes...Kathy Reichs
#46 The Birth House...Ami McKay
#47 Twilight...Stephenie Meyer
#48 Eclipse...Stephenie Meyer
#49 New Moon...Stephenie Meyer

Mama to: turtle 6August01 and frog 28May05 and ttc#3
Old 03-12-2008, 10:24 AM

#6 Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver
Wonderful. This book definitely inspired me to try to incorporate more local produce into my diet. My husband and I have our standard 7 or 8 recipes that we just rotate through, regardless of the ingredients. So we're talking about joining a CSA and/or going to the farmer's market every week and buying what's in season and making a menu from there. It will be a big shift for us because we're very much creatures of habit when it comes to food, but most important lifestyle changes we've made have been equally challenging. So I'm sure we can do it.

One of my favorite parts of the book about lifestyle changes like this:
Quote:
I share with almost every adult I know this crazy quilt of optimism and worries, feeling locked into certain habits but keen to change them in the right direction. And the tendency to feel like a jerk for falling short of absolute conversion. I'm not sure why. If a friend had a coronary scare and finally started exercising three days a week, who would hound him about the other four days? It's the worst of bad manners--and self-protection, I think, in a nervously cynical society--to ridicule the small gesture. These earnest efforts might just get us past the train-wreck of the daily news, or the anguish of standing behind a child, looking with her at the road ahead, searching out redemption where we can find it: recycling or carpooling or growing a garden or saving a species or something. Small, stepwise changes in personal habits aren't trivial. Ultimately they will, or won't, add up to having been the thing that mattered.

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

Old 03-12-2008, 01:04 PM

#4. "The center of winter : a novel" by Marya Hornbacher

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
Old 03-12-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookGoddess View Post
Did you like it?

I enjoyed the book. I got it after reading an excerpt in a magazine.
I did. It was interesting to see her resolve her former self with the person she was becoming.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
Old 03-12-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy926 View Post
Me! I've always wondered where the word "ampersand" came from and never bothered to research it...and I had no idea & used to be a letter. But if it was the 26th letter of the alphabet, were we missing one of the others? (Or did you mean 27th and I am reading too much into things, as usual)
Yep, I meant 27th -- sorry! But I'm very glad that someone else was as fascinated as I was!
Old 03-12-2008, 06:25 PM

"Round Rock" by Michelle Huneven

I enjoyed this book about an alcoholic getting straight and the owner of the very cool detox center he ends up at.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Old 03-12-2008, 07:43 PM

March
#18. The Mist (King)

A great mystery, a page turner. Made me turn on the lights in the hall when fallying asleep :: But then again.. what else did I expect with Stephen King? heheh...
If you read it, did the ending bother you?..

February '08: #10. Forever... (Blume), #11. Perfect (McNaught), #12. The Catcher in the Rye (Salinger), #13. Reading Lolita in Tehran (Nafisi), #14. The Giver (Lowry), #15. A Long Way Gone: Memoir of a Boy Soldier (Beah),
#16. Rape of Nanking (Chang), #17. A Kingdom of Dreams (McNaught)

January '08: #1. On Chesil Beach (McEwan), #2. Twilight (Meyer), #3. New Moon (Meyer), #4. Eclipse (Meyer), #5. Sold (McCormick), #6. The Continuum Concept (Liedloff), #7. A Great and Terrible Beauty (Bray), #8. Time Traveler's Wife (Niffenegger), #9. Papa, My Father (Buscaglia)

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
Old 03-12-2008, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriole View Post
If you read it, did the ending bother you?..
Not as much as the end of the film version. This is one of my all-time favorite King stories though. I talk about it here.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:19 AM

#10 The Wayfaring Stranger : A Journey to Louisiana by Curt Iles

My dad sent me this book. We know the author from a camp we went to as kids, and this was his first fiction book. It was interesting to me because it was about a place i grew up near, but it also had a lot of historical Louisiana stuff in it.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:32 PM

#11 Into the Forest
by Jean Hegland

I actually saw this one on someone else's list and the description peeked my interest so I put it on my to read list. It was a wonderfully enchanting book and a quick read. I really enjoyed it from front to back.

#1 Natural Witchery#2 Levi's Will #3 Easy Tarot #4 The Elements of Pantheism: #5 Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs #6 Nigth Watch #7 The Green Book #8 Conquering Infertility #9 Affluenza #10 The Omnivore's Dilemma

-Rachel

Old 03-14-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
Not as much as the end of the film version. This is one of my all-time favorite King stories though. I talk about it here.
oh, I want to see the movie... It's coming out on DVD next week... I never made it to the theaters, although it looked interesting I guess they messed it up, eh?..

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
Old 03-15-2008, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriole View Post
oh, I want to see the movie... It's coming out on DVD next week... I never made it to the theaters, although it looked interesting I guess they messed it up, eh?..
Its not that they "messed it up" but rather that they created a definite ending whereas the book had a more ambiguous one.

Though I will say that I did not like the film's ending. It was quite ... bleak and more than a little disturbing (speaking as a father with a son).

Old 03-15-2008, 10:35 AM

Wolf Point, Falco

Quote:
Tom "T" Walker, Jenny, and Lester are companions in this tale of vicarious adventure, with darkness and pain being the desired experience. T is the voyeur. He is seeking escape from his own suffering and does so by offering Jenny and Lester, two overtly dangerous-looking hitchhikers, a ride. With clean and precise prose, the three lives are written easily into the landscape of contemporary American problems: drug addiction, sexual abuse, and extreme family dysfunction.
Tom Walker is a man reeling from an unexpected criminal charge, cut off from his wife and children. He decides on a whim to visit the Thousand Islands in upstate New York, but veers from hsi plan when he picks up an attractive young hitchiker and her boyfriend. In getting to know the young woman, Tom is able ot explore where his life has veered off track. The slow but inexcapable building of tension throughout the book gives interesting insight into Tom's character.

#1-Garden of Beasts, #2-Passporter Guide to WDW, #3-Skylight Confessions, #4 - The Secret, #5 - The Kite Runner, #6 - Gone, #7 - Hidden Mickeys, #8 - Into Thin Air, #9 - Wolf Point
Old 03-15-2008, 05:57 PM

#32 Gone-Away Lake by Elizabeth Enright

Man, I loved this book when I was younger -- read it and read it. Newbery Honor in 1957. Just finished re-reading it with DD -- Main characters are cousins (Portia and Julian) who are spending the summer together and "discover" a swamp with a row of old, falling-down houses...
Old 03-15-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsGirl View Post
#11 Into the Forest
by Jean Hegland

I actually saw this one on someone else's list and the description peeked my interest so I put it on my to read list. It was a wonderfully enchanting book and a quick read. I really enjoyed it from front to back.
I'm glad you enjoyed it! I read that last year and loved it.

#7 Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
I've seen so many posts about this series, and I really needed a break from parenting books, so I decided to give it a whirl. I read it in about 24 hours...I loved it!

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

Old 03-15-2008, 08:05 PM

#9 Ina May's Guide to Childbirth By Ina May Gaskin

Quote:
Drawing upon her thirty-plus years of experience, Ina May Gaskin, the nation’s leading midwife, shares the benefits and joys of natural childbirth by showing women how to trust in the ancient wisdom of their bodies for a healthy and fulfilling birthing experience. Based on the female-centered Midwifery Model of Care, Ina May’s Guide to Natural Childbirth gives expectant mothers comprehensive information on everything from the all-important mind-body connection to how to give birth without technological intervention.

Ina May’s Guide to Natural Childbirth takes the fear out of childbirth by restoring women’s faith in their own natural power to give birth with more ease, less pain, and less medical intervention.

#1 A Midwife's Story By Penny Armstrong & Sheryl Feldman
#2 Jesus and The Essenes By Dolores Cannon
#3 The Book of Secrets: Unlocking the Hidden Dimensions of Your Life By Deepak Chopra
#4 Spiritual Midwifery By Ina May Gaskin (4th Ed.)
#5 A New Christianity For a New World By John Shelby Spong
#6 The Third Jesus: The Christ We Cannot Ignore By Deepak Chopra
#7 Paths to Becoming a Midwife: Getting an Education
#8 Anatomy of the Spirit: The Seven Stages of Power and Healing By Caroline Myss, PH.D
Old 03-15-2008, 09:54 PM

#13 A Thousand Splendid Suns

#14Better Off – great food for thought!
Old 03-15-2008, 10:48 PM

Invisible Lives by Anjali Banjeree - This was a very easy read. It was a nice story, but not very deep. Parts of it I just couldn't get into. I'd say it was a very mediocre book.

User Tag List