March 2008 Book Challenge - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 182 Old 03-20-2008, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
#4 - Still Life by A.S. Byatt

In England, in the 1950's, Stephanie is a clergyman's wife who has a baby, and then another one. Her sister, Frederica, is a student at Cambridge, and her brother, Marcus, is a strange and troubled teenager. Alexander (whom Frederica once loved and almost slept with) is writing a play about Van Gogh. The book didn't really seem to be going anywhere until I was almost at the end, when something big (and sad) finally happened, but that big thing sort of gave it all more meaning in retrospect. It turns out this is the second book in a series, but I didn't know that until after I'd finished it. That explains why so much of the backstory was only hinted at, and why so many loose ends were never tied up. I liked it, and I suppose now I'll have to read the other three books about these people.
#122 of 182 Old 03-21-2008, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
#11 Sisters on a Journey: Portraits of American Midwives By Penfield Chester

Quote:
In the United States, the hallowed female ground of birth may be trampled by so many doctors, nurses, and machines that the laboring woman gets lost in the rush. The 27 midwives interviewed in Sisters on a Journey speak out on the frustrations and joys of helping women give birth in a country that embraces the mumbo jumbo of science more readily than simple body knowledge. Most consider empowerment a crucial part of good prenatal care. "Don't ever place a shadow of doubt in a woman," advises one seasoned midwife. "You just let her rip into it." Penfield Chester, herself a midwife, skillfully weaves the threads spun by women with differing politics, backgrounds, and views on spirituality and the calling of midwifery into a coherent oral history. Especially enjoyable are passages from two midwives who serve Amish communities, where birth has never been removed from a woman's realm and hauled into the medical arena.

#1 A Midwife's Story By Penny Armstrong & Sheryl Feldman
#2 Jesus and The Essenes By Dolores Cannon
#3 The Book of Secrets: Unlocking the Hidden Dimensions of Your Life By Deepak Chopra
#4 Spiritual Midwifery By Ina May Gaskin (4th Ed.)
#5 A New Christianity For a New World By John Shelby Spong
#6 The Third Jesus: The Christ We Cannot Ignore By Deepak Chopra
#7 Paths to Becoming a Midwife: Getting an Education
#8 Anatomy of the Spirit: The Seven Stages of Power and Healing By Caroline Myss, PH.D
#9 Ina May's Guide to Childbirth By Ina May Gaskin
#10 Medicine Women: A Pictorial History of Women Healers By Elizabeth Brooke
#123 of 182 Old 03-21-2008, 11:17 PM

#10 Sorceress by Celia Rees
I had a really hard time getting into this. Maybe it's because it's been too long since I read Witch Child, but I didn't connect with the main character Agnes. So after about 100 pages, I just read the parts that were continuing Mary's story from the first book, and I skipped the parts about Agnes. In the Agnes storyline, it seemed like the author just told how characters were feeling and what they were thinking instead of showing it in action and dialog. So I found those parts kind of boring.

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#124 of 182 Old 03-22-2008, 12:01 AM

#5. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I think someone here recommended this book or had it on their list.

Still listening to Alphabet of Dreams by Susan Fletcher.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
#125 of 182 Old 03-22-2008, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenifer76 View Post
#5. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I think someone here recommended this book or had it on their list.
How did you like it? I have this one in my to-be-read pile.
#126 of 182 Old 03-22-2008, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

#35: Angels in America, A Gay Fantasia on National Themes, Part Two: Perestroika (Revised Edition)
by Tony Kushner

My review of Perestroika can be found here.

#1 The Time Machine, #2 The Shining (Audio): Redux, #3 Curious George, #4 Animal Farm: A Fairy Story, #5 The Tragedy of Othello, Moor of Venice (Bantam Anthology), #6 A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four, #7 "A Study in Emerald", #8 The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead, #9 Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them, #10 Quidditch Through the Ages, #11 On the Day You Were Born, #12 The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark (Bantam Anthology), #13 The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare, #14 Rubyfruit Jungle, #15 John, Paul, George & Ben, #16 The Merchant of Venice (Bantam Anthology): Redux, #17 Dinotopia: A Land Apart from Time, #18 Trent's Last Case, #19 Cyrano de Bergerac: A Heroic Comedy in Five Acts, #20 Animal Dads, #21 Faggots, #22 A Day with Wilbur Robinson, #23 And Then There Were None, #24 Eating Between the Lines: The Supermarket Shopper's Guide to the Truth Behind Food Labels, #25 Henry IV, Part One, #26 Zami, A New Spelling of My Name: A Biomythography, #27 Twelfth Night, or What You Will (Bantam Anthology), #28 Murder Must Advertise, #29 Stagestruck: Theater, AIDS, and the Marketing of Gay America, #30 Angels in America, A Gay Fantasia on National Themes, Part One: Millennium Approaches, #31 The Tragedy of Macbeth (Bantam Anthology), #32 Stone of Destin: The Story of Lady Macbeth, #33 Ian Pollack's Illustrated King Lear #34 Celtic Folklore Cooking, #35 Angels in America, A Gay Fantasia on National Themes, Part Two: Perestroika Revised Edition)

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#127 of 182 Old 03-22-2008, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter

#36: The Winter's Tale (Bantam Anthology)
by William Shakespeare
edited by David Bevington
anthologized in The Late Romances: Pericles, Cymbeline, The Winter's Tale, The Tempest

My review of The Winter's Tale can be found here.

#1 The Time Machine, #2 The Shining (Audio): Redux, #3 Curious George, #4 Animal Farm: A Fairy Story, #5 The Tragedy of Othello, Moor of Venice (Bantam Anthology), #6 A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four, #7 "A Study in Emerald", #8 The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead, #9 Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them, #10 Quidditch Through the Ages, #11 On the Day You Were Born, #12 The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark (Bantam Anthology), #13 The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare, #14 Rubyfruit Jungle, #15 John, Paul, George & Ben, #16 The Merchant of Venice (Bantam Anthology): Redux, #17 Dinotopia: A Land Apart from Time, #18 Trent's Last Case, #19 Cyrano de Bergerac: A Heroic Comedy in Five Acts, #20 Animal Dads, #21 Faggots, #22 A Day with Wilbur Robinson, #23 And Then There Were None, #24 Eating Between the Lines: The Supermarket Shopper's Guide to the Truth Behind Food Labels, #25 Henry IV, Part One, #26 Zami, A New Spelling of My Name: A Biomythography, #27 Twelfth Night, or What You Will (Bantam Anthology), #28 Murder Must Advertise, #29 Stagestruck: Theater, AIDS, and the Marketing of Gay America, #30 Angels in America, A Gay Fantasia on National Themes, Part One: Millennium Approaches, #31 The Tragedy of Macbeth (Bantam Anthology), #32 Stone of Destin: The Story of Lady Macbeth, #33 Ian Pollack's Illustrated King Lear #34 Celtic Folklore Cooking, #35 Angels in America, A Gay Fantasia on National Themes, Part Two: Perestroika Revised Edition), #36 The Winter's Tale (Bantam Anthology)

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#128 of 182 Old 03-22-2008, 12:25 PM

#8 - No Country For Old Men - Cormac McCarthy

So yeah, I'm on a McCarthy kick right now. This book was wonderful. I went into it a little wary, thinking it would be too violent or angry for my taste but it wasn't. It IS violent for certain, but the over-riding theme pf how to descern right and wrong, what motivates us and what we're willing to sacrifice to get ahead really make the story. The violence also isn't violence just for vioence sake, at least IMHO. It's grusome but there is logic to it and it's reflective of the characters involved. I have the movie on hold at the library so hopefully I'll watch that in the next week or so and get to compare the two. I've heard good things and I have faith that the Cohen brothers will be fairly true to the book.

Not sure what to read next. I have All The Pretty Horses, so I might read that and start the triology. We shall see. I've been trying to read Atonement for a while and I just cannot get into it. I 'm on chapter 6 and still hating it. Has anyone read it and enjoyed it? Does it get better further in?

One by one the days are slipping up behind you ~ One by one the sweetest days of life go by :
-Woodie Guthrie
#129 of 182 Old 03-22-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliki_kila View Post
How did you like it? I have this one in my to-be-read pile.
I am just a few pages into it. For some reason I missed who the narrator was so I was surprised at first.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
#130 of 182 Old 03-22-2008, 07:27 PM

March

#18. The Mist (King)
#19. Almost Heaven (McNaught)
#20. Kite Runner (Hosseini)

Great writing, heartwrenching story. Two childhood friends and their story. What is childhood? What is friendship? What is family?

February '08: #10. Forever... (Blume), #11. Perfect (McNaught), #12. The Catcher in the Rye (Salinger), #13. Reading Lolita in Tehran (Nafisi), #14. The Giver (Lowry), #15. A Long Way Gone: Memoir of a Boy Soldier (Beah),
#16. Rape of Nanking (Chang), #17. A Kingdom of Dreams (McNaught)

January '08: #1. On Chesil Beach (McEwan), #2. Twilight (Meyer), #3. New Moon (Meyer), #4. Eclipse (Meyer), #5. Sold (McCormick), #6. The Continuum Concept (Liedloff), #7. A Great and Terrible Beauty (Bray), #8. Time Traveler's Wife (Niffenegger), #9. Papa, My Father (Buscaglia)

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#131 of 182 Old 03-22-2008, 07:37 PM

Finished #16 Kabul Beauty School: An American Woman Goes Behind the Veil by Deborah Rodriguez. Interesting indeedy. I had to wonder often if the author caused more problems for those women than she solved, but it was an interesting glimpse at Afghan women's lives.

and #17 All New Square Foot Gardening: Grow More in Less Space

Now on to #18 The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible by A.J. Jacobs. Funny so far, but I'm only in chapter one.

#1 -Buddha Mom #2 -When Smoke Ran Like Water: Tales of Environmental Deception and the Battle Against Pollution #3 - Bitter Pills: Inside the Hazardous World of Legal Drugs #4 Secrets of the Sacred White Buffalo: Native American Healiing Remedies, Rites, and Rituals by Gary Null #5The Birth House #6Coyote Healingby Lewis Mehl-Medrona #7 In the Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez #8 True Love by Thich Nhat Hanh #9 The Lovely Bones #10 The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy #11 I'm Looking Through You: Growing up Haunted: A Memoir #12 Why People Don't Heal and How they Can by Caroline Myss #13 The Mother Trip: Hip Mamas Guide to Staying Sane in the Chaos of Motherhood by Ariel Gore #14Building Houses out of Chicken Legs: Black Women, Food, and Power by Psyche A. Williams-Forson #15 Internal Bleeding: The truth behind America's terrifying epidemic of medical mistakes by Robert M. Wachter and Kaveh G. Shojania #16 Kabul Beauty School: An American Woman Goes Behind the Veil by Deborah Rodriguez #17 All New Square Foot Gardening: Grow More in Less Space

#132 of 182 Old 03-22-2008, 08:08 PM

Finished The Lady and the Unicorn by Tracy Chevalier, and as with Girl w/ a Pearl Earring and Falling Angels, I LOVED it. The characters are so vivid, and I especially loved the parts of the story in Brussels, particularly the young blind woman named Alienor.

Halfway through Atonement and though I don't have any major complaints, can't say I think it's quite worth the hype. Might feel differently as the actual "atonement" theme takes a bit more shape.

1) The Mermaid Chair (Sue Monk Kidd) 2) A Good Year (Peter Mayle) 3) The Eyre Affair (Jasper Fforde) 4) Lost in a Good Book (Fforde) 5) The Well of Lost Plots (Fforde) 6) The Unschooling Handbook 7) Something Rotten (Fforde) 8) First Among Sequels (Fforde) 9) The Lady and the Unicorn (Tracy Chevalier) In progress: Atonement (Ian McEwan)
#133 of 182 Old 03-22-2008, 09:16 PM

#13 Dumbing Us Down John Taylor Gatto

A small collection of essays by a public school teacher. A scathing critique, really. He doesn't pull any punches in indicting American "schooling" for everything wrong with the United States. I highly recommend it.

#1 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone #2 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets #3 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban #4 Little Children by Tom Perrotta #5 Vaccinations: A Thoughtful Parents' Guide by Aviva Jill Romm #6 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire #7 Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events: The Bad Beginning #8 Pride and Prejudice Jane Austen
#9 The Stories of Eva Luna by Isabelle Allende (audiotape) #10 Homeopathic Medicine at Home by Maesimund B. Panos, M.D.
#11 The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd#12 Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire
#134 of 182 Old 03-22-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiztic View Post
Halfway through Atonement and though I don't have any major complaints, can't say I think it's quite worth the hype. Might feel differently as the actual "atonement" theme takes a bit more shape.
Holiztic - I'm glad to hear you say this, because I've been thinking it was just me! I'm so annoyed with it, yet I'm making myself push through it because it's gotten so much hype I think there must be a reason for it. I guess we shall see....

One by one the days are slipping up behind you ~ One by one the sweetest days of life go by :
-Woodie Guthrie
#135 of 182 Old 03-23-2008, 12:59 AM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Out of Silence: An autistic boy's journey into language and communication.

An interesting story (written by the uncle). Completely implicates vaxes.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#136 of 182 Old 03-23-2008, 04:45 PM

"THe Cry of the Dove" by Fadia Faqir

An Arab girl escapes to England after she has a baby out of wedlock - otherwise her family would have killed her. After years, she goes back to find her daughter.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#137 of 182 Old 03-24-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neldavi View Post
#13 Dumbing Us Down John Taylor Gatto
Read it a few years ago and LOVED it.
#138 of 182 Old 03-24-2008, 06:03 PM

"Nobodies" by John Bowe

This is nonfiction about slave labor in America - fruit pickers, welders, sex slavery, you name it - very disturbing.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#139 of 182 Old 03-24-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilamus View Post
Holiztic - I'm glad to hear you say this, because I've been thinking it was just me! I'm so annoyed with it, yet I'm making myself push through it because it's gotten so much hype I think there must be a reason for it. I guess we shall see....
I'd say it actually went downhill! He is a good writer, at times it actually felt like I was reading a "classic" in terms of language use, etc. But the story did nothing for me. I knew the basics going into it, i.e. that the younger sister spread some detrimental "rumor" and that the book follows how that ruins the lives of the sister and man. I guess I thought it would, while not being an actual epic, perhaps have more of an epic kind of feel. Oh well, so be it.

On another note, after getting caught up on the Thursday Next books, I started the first of fforde's nursery crimes series, The Big Over Easy, and am actually not going to finish it! I hate doing that, but I am sooooo not interested in the book. Moving on to Madame Bovary.

1) The Mermaid Chair (Sue Monk Kidd) 2) A Good Year (Peter Mayle) 3) The Eyre Affair (Jasper Fforde) 4) Lost in a Good Book (Fforde) 5) The Well of Lost Plots (Fforde) 6) The Unschooling Handbook 7) Something Rotten (Fforde) 8) First Among Sequels (Fforde) 9) The Lady and the Unicorn (Tracy Chevalier) 10) Atonement (Ian McEwan) In progress: Madame Bovary
#140 of 182 Old 03-24-2008, 07:12 PM

Today was dd's 4th birthday, and I'm wiped out -- just going to post titles -- feel free to ask if you want more details!

#33 Rise and Shine by Anna Quindlen

#34 I Never Forget a Meal by Michael Tucker

#35 The Monster of Templeton by Lauren Groff

#36 Tunnels by Roderick Gordon and Brian Williams
#141 of 182 Old 03-24-2008, 11:49 PM

#11 Rebel Angels by Libba Bray

This is the 2nd book in a trilogy, and it was just as brilliant as the first. The main character is deliciously sarcastic--she makes me laugh out loud, which is rare for me when reading. I can't wait to read the next one!

#142 of 182 Old 03-25-2008, 07:40 AM

#12 - East - Edith Pattou

Quote:
In the rural villages of Norway, there is an ancient belief that children inherit the qualities of the direction in which they are born...But destiny cannot be denied. One day, a white bear comes to the mapmaker’s door to claim Rose’s birthright. Everything that comes after..is the basis for one of the most epic romantic fantasies ever told. East is a deftly woven tapestry that melds traditional fairy tale motifs of both Beauty and the Beast and East of the Sun and West of the Moon, with the haunting icy lore of medieval northern lands. Told in a changing chorus of voices.
I believe that this was someone's recommendation last year. I thought the story was beautifully told. I'm going to save the book to read-aloud to DS's when they get a bit older.

#1-Garden of Beasts, #2-Passporter Guide to WDW, #3-Skylight Confessions, #4 - The Secret, #5 - The Kite Runner, #6 - Gone, #7 - Hidden Mickeys, #8 - Into Thin Air, #9 - Wolf Point, #10 - Ocean Breezes, #11 - Harmony Guide to Cables and Aran, #12 - East
#143 of 182 Old 03-25-2008, 11:02 AM
A&A

In My Father's House by Ernest Gaines.

Great introspection but not much plot. Even though it's a short book, it still felt really repetitive.

#144 of 182 Old 03-25-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snozzberry View Post
#11 Rebel Angels by Libba Bray

This is the 2nd book in a trilogy, and it was just as brilliant as the first. The main character is deliciously sarcastic--she makes me laugh out loud, which is rare for me when reading. I can't wait to read the next one!
I read the first one, and Rebel Angles is in my "to read" pile. Glad to hear you liked it.

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#145 of 182 Old 03-25-2008, 11:52 AM

#12 Water for Elephants
by Sara Gruen
What a great book. I thoroughly enjoyed this novel!

#1 Natural Witchery#2 Levi's Will #3 Easy Tarot #4 The Elements of Pantheism: #5 Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs #6 Nigth Watch #7 The Green Book #8 Conquering Infertility #9 Affluenza #10 The Omnivore's Dilemma #11 Into The Forest

-Rachel

#146 of 182 Old 03-25-2008, 07:40 PM

Our baby arrived a couple weeks early (Feb 28th) and (he was super ready to be here though ) and I am just now getting caught back up with things.

I'm counting these three half read books as one, I didnt need to finish them anymore after February

#10 Sacred Birthing by Sunni Karll, Gentle Birth Gentle Mothering by Sarah Buckley, and Hypnobirthing the Mongan Method.

All were good, just was halfway through each one when our baby surprised us by coming early! (His sister was 2 weeks post due date, so we though we had time )

#11 The Virgin Earth by Philippa Gregory

As always, a great story. A royal gardener goes to Virginia to gather exotic plants for the king and becomes enchanted with the new world. He travels back and forth, finds love where he wasnt expecting.

#12 Blackbird by Jennifer Lauck

This book was good, but dark. It's a memoir and I just was so brokenhearted by what this young girl went through. I am looking forward to reading the continuation of her memoirs b/c I hope things get better. Plus, she's a good writer.

#13 Atonement

I thought it started a little slow and got a little frustrated with the excessive description in minute detail of every person's perspective. But, I ended up liking it in the end.
#147 of 182 Old 03-25-2008, 10:34 PM
A&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsGirl View Post
#12 Water for Elephants
by Sara Gruen
What a great book. I thoroughly enjoyed this novel!

I really like this book, too.

#148 of 182 Old 03-25-2008, 10:35 PM

#6 Eragon by Christopher Paolini

I thought it was so good. Looking forward to getting the next from my niece to read.

#1 Knit Fast Die Young by Mary Krugar
#2 Blooming Murder by Jean Hager
#3 Death in the Orchid Garden by Ann Ripley
#4 Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver Second time I've read this book. I love it! Great detail about nature.
#5 The Bad Beginning by Leminy Snicket This was an ok book, it intrigued me enough to rent the movie, but now I don't want to read the rest of the series.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#149 of 182 Old 03-26-2008, 01:30 PM

#12 When Zachary Beaver Came to Town by Kimberly Willis Holt

This was a really sweet story. The author does a great job of making you feel like you're right there in that little Texas town in the early 70s along with the characters.

#150 of 182 Old 03-26-2008, 06:06 PM

#13 Olive's Ocean by Kevin Henkes

The author captured a 12-year-old's emotions perfectly. I thought this would be morbid and depressing when I read the premise (a girl in the main character's class dies), but it was actually very uplifting.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page