Lord of the Flies.
Sucked like hell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2008, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
oh, I have many. Just about anything Oprah recommends. And if I've read something I like that she "discovers" I instantly feel icky!
Old 04-22-2008, 12:08 AM

I can't remember if it was Koontz or Saul who wrote this awful thriller about a father who kidnaps his daughter to use her in horrible experiments with a isolation/sensory enhancing chamber. The child learns to release her angry spirit while in the chamber and go around killing people. Then the mom, who's the protagonist of the story, eventually figures out where her daughter is and rescues her in the end.

Some help I am, I can't even think of the title now. Guess it wasn't worth remembering I don't get to read much and wish I hadn't wasted time on that one!

I like Stephen King's talent, but I can't handle his horror work anymore. The Stand was a page turner, I read when preg with ds2, but I didn't sleep very well! I stopped reading King after his two "Tak" novels, Desperation and The Regulators. The images of dead babies and children in my brain didn't go well with my post partum depression and anxiety, so I think it was just me. I do like that in a lot of his books it's often children that are protagonists, do the outsmarting and come out in the end.

Dh nominates The Weight of Water by Anita Shrieve. It was the only book he never got through!
Old 04-22-2008, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
I don't recommend:

--any of the Harry Potter books after Goblet of Fire, unless you're desperate to find out what happens of course
I'm at your Da Vinci Code description

But HP after GoF? No way! I sobbed buckets reading Deathly Hallows (and wasn't even at the ending at that point). It was so simple it was perfect, Love was the central theme to the whole series in the end.

I bet you knew a lot of people would disagree with you hehehe.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mata View Post
oh, I have many. Just about anything Oprah recommends. And if I've read something I like that she "discovers" I instantly feel icky!

:

~Traci

~Traci, wife to DH 4-88. Mom to 3 homebirthed sons, 22,20&17

The Blue Door Farmhouse & traci.mymomentis.biz

Old 04-22-2008, 01:04 AM

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjanelles View Post
I concur on "The Memory Keepers Daughter" being totally not worth the time it takes to read it. Really didn't like that book at all.

I'll add "A Confederacy of Dunces" to the list...I've tried repeatedly over the years to read this book and I simply cannot bring myself to devote that much time to finishing it.

I also did not like "She's Come Undone" by Wally Lamb, regardless of all the hype, and would actively encourage friends to NOT read it.

"The Mermaid Chair"
by Sue Monk Kidd. I was really moved by "The Dance of the Dissident Daughter," so I thought I'd enjoy anything else she'd written. Wrong. And firmly put "The Mermaid Chair" on the Do NOT Read list.

I totally agree with everything you said! I do have to say that I loved *The Secret Life of Bees* by Sue Monk Kidd

I was just so sad that Mermaid was awful!

~Traci

~Traci, wife to DH 4-88. Mom to 3 homebirthed sons, 22,20&17

The Blue Door Farmhouse & traci.mymomentis.biz

Old 04-22-2008, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Take with a grain of salt any book recommended on Oprah. I've wasted several hours on her recommended books. Wish I could get those hours back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post
If you are pregnant and are one of those easily upset types and very sensitive, do not read Baby ER (no relation to the tv show, it's the account of a month in the life of a neonatal unit, nonfiction, very compelling.)

On the other hand, if you are pregnant and not easily upset and looking for a page-turner, what the heck.
I read this book after I picked it up at a thrift shop. My daughter had been the in NICU for several days but gosh what we experienced was so so much better than what some of the parents in the book went through. Our daughter was preterm rather than premature so that made all the difference. I found the opening chapter's explanation of how NICUs came about very fascinating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizaveta View Post
Wuthering Heights because it's a crap novel. I put it down towards the end because it was too disturbing. Sometimes I wonder if the people who think this novel is amazing have actually read it? It made me feel terrible inside, which isn't a feeling I seek out when reading a book. I suppose if the authors point was to make a deeply disturbing book: She did a good job in that case.
I've read Wuthering Times several times and I can't stand it. I found the characters completely despicable especially Heathcliff. I wanted to slap him silly. When I was in 7th grade I found the whole doomed love affair between Heathcliff and Catherine to be very romantic but when I read the book as a grown woman I found the whole thing to be pathetic.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For those of you who hated The Memory Keepers Daughter can you say why? I just saw the tv movie based upon the book, and it was "ok", but not as good as i thought it would be from the previews. I kept thinking "i bet this was a really good book that didnt translate well to the screen"...i thought there must be alot of internal dialogue the characters have w/ themselves that got left out, plus the whole movie seemed rushed, it kept skipping ahead years before we got a chance to know the characters.....but apparently the book is as much of a let down as the movie? I was planning on getting the book.....why should i not?

Katherine

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
Old 04-22-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseMomme View Post
I can't remember if it was Koontz or Saul who wrote this awful thriller about a father who kidnaps his daughter to use her in horrible experiments with a isolation/sensory enhancing chamber. The child learns to release her angry spirit while in the chamber and go around killing people. Then the mom, who's the protagonist of the story, eventually figures out where her daughter is and rescues her in the end.

Some help I am, I can't even think of the title now. Guess it wasn't worth remembering I don't get to read much and wish I hadn't wasted time on that one!

Dh nominates The Weight of Water by Anita Shrieve. It was the only book he never got through!

The Door To December ring a bell? By Koontz. Yeah. Disturbing book. I read it years and years ago.

The Weight of Water was a bad one. I was so depressed when I read that book. I had to pick up a lifeline and start reading it while my butt was still numb from reading that sad story. Blech.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:59 PM

I don't recommend anything by Nicholas Sparks. : All of his characters seem to be some variation of a white guy having a beer with his buddy and playing fetch with his dog.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapejuicemama View Post
The Door To December ring a bell? By Koontz. Yeah. Disturbing book. I read it years and years ago.
Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the title!
Old 04-22-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliki_kila View Post
I don't recommend anything by Nicholas Sparks. : All of his characters seem to be some variation of a white guy having a beer with his buddy and playing fetch with his dog.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:48 AM

ooops... wrong thread.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:06 AM

I do not recommend reading "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy while pregnant. Actually, maybe lay off the apocalyptic fiction in general while pregnant, but this one, specifically.

ETA: I think it's actually a good book. There are just some scenes that hit a little too close to home and can be SERIOUSLY disturbing (I mean, it's a disturbing book to start with, just more so if you're with child).

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:57 PM

I found The Professor by Charlotte Bronte frustrating; there are many French words throughout it and found it really irritating to have to keep flipping to the index in the back to look up words I didn’t end up finishing it

I do love Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre.

Sam, mum to: Ian, James, Lottie, Maddy, Jack, Ruby, Bronte & Sophia and Nate
Old 04-29-2008, 04:20 PM

Is this only for books, or can we add movies here? If we can, I seem to have every "do not watch while pregnant or potpartum" in the past year.

Do NOT watch:
-the bridge to terabithia
-Pan's labyrinth
-Juno (sorry guys, but ugh!)
-Alien vs. Predator(ok, sort of a given, but really, pregnant? run, run far away)
There's more, I'm sure, those are just the ones that are at the top on my skull

Books: (just in general )
-dont recommend Catch 22. I hate it when there is so much hype about a book, and its just..blah.
-Tropic of capricorn. What, really, what was the point of that? Incomprehensible half the time, just sick the other half.

and thats all I can think of. Sadly, I haven't read many classics.

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
Old 04-29-2008, 04:29 PM

I don't recommend Anne Rice books. Talk about overrated! It's been YEARS since I tried reading them, but I remember when they were really trendy and I actually got through one somehow.

I don't recommend the TV show, "The Riches" and don't understand why people (including my BF) love it. Horrible acting! Annoying characters!

Oh, I feel that way about Desperate Housewives, too.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:51 PM

Don't read Danielle Steel. She creates her main characters just to torture them with war, disease, death, frogs, locusts, you name it. The moral of the story is always, "See? If you're a Real Princess and don't complain, you'll eventually get to live happily ever after!" And you're thinking, "Yea but only because the author had to end the book by page 650, and she's run out of pages she could use to cruelly snatch this small bit of happiness from her character too!"

Don't read Thomas Hardy, similar reason. Though he writes much better than Danielle Steel, he ends his books only after he has cruelly snatched that last slim hope of happiness..not before.

Don't read Ayn Rand. Scripted lectures which are one sided monologues that take weeks and months hammering home the same points over and over again --I guess they're okay at a university, just not in my fiction please.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:58 PM

Yeah, I could not get through The Fountainhead, not even past the first chapter, I don't think.

And I read one Danielle Steele book, and that was more than enough
Old 04-30-2008, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by karina5 View Post
I don't recommend Anne Rice books. Talk about overrated! It's been YEARS since I tried reading them, but I remember when they were really trendy and I actually got through one somehow.

I don't recommend the TV show, "The Riches" and don't understand why people (including my BF) love it. Horrible acting! Annoying characters!

Oh, I feel that way about Desperate Housewives, too.
I love Anne Rice's early Vampire Chronicles and a few of her other books. But you do have to be ok with erotica and man on man for some of it. However her newer books once she became "born again" or whatever are worthless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fek&fuzz View Post
I guess I've got a little re-reading to do.
Looks like I need to reread Jane Eyre.

About the Wuthering comment. Yes, I have actually read it at least 4 times. Absolutely one of my all time favorite books. LOVE it.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

User Tag List