I hide the "Babywise" books - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-24-2008, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know what it is, but I've been surrounded by those blasted "Babywise" books and it makes me nuts!

I've been in Wal-Mart, Target and Barnes & Noble this weekend...and there they are, plain as day, books on how to get away with abusing your baby.

So, I hid them. I tucked them behind other books and turned them so the covers were facing backwards at the Target and Wal-mart. And in B & N, I took the whole stack of books and moved them to the finance/money section and hid them behind some books over there.

I felt bad for the employees who have to stock the shelves, but better for knowing that for at least a short time, no unsuspecting, desperate parent would stumble upon one of those books and think it was the answer to their stresses with new babies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2008, 03:34 AM

I do that too! I saw them in my church's library and took them and threw them away! I'm still not sure if I should feel badly about that. They were just donated so it's not like the church paid for them.

I also move positive parenting, pro-breastfeeding, and pro-NCB books forward. I also hide what to expect when you're expecting.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:38 AM

Me too - I put them behind the Sears books and others! Ok, I'm not the only stealth censor

Michelle, mama to Isabelle (03/04) and Tom (02/07)
Old 03-24-2008, 03:44 AM

Me, too! I turn them upsidedown, face them backward and put other books over them. I also recommend doing this to the Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child books.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:52 AM

I would actually print out CIO information, fold it and slip it into the books
Old 03-24-2008, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkTrance View Post
I would actually print out CIO information, fold it and slip it into the books
I have thought about this all weekend, too, every time I've seen the books--wishing I could slip in some good, positive information, but not having anything on hand.

I think that maybe tomorrow I'll print some stuff out and just carry it with me in the babe's diaper bag--you know, just in case.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:11 AM

I think that would be great.

Maybe add info. about other solutions as well, instead of just focusing on the negative aspects of BW.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:24 AM

I do that all the time... In fact, I do it so often that my little brother (18 Y/O) knows the drill and helps me hide all the "bad" ones. I usually hide them behind books that I consider to be "good" books. I also routinely walk over to the baby section, and if I see someone there, I will pick up one of the "bad" ones, read it a little, roll my eyes, and then say something like, "Yeah... 'cause I'm OK with torturing my baby..." and then pick up one of the better ones. Or if they ask me to help find a book, I'll tell them, "Oh, you know, THIS book is so much better, but if you REALLY want that other one, it's over there, but... I'd be careful if I were you... The studies say THAT one isn't very good..." or something.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:37 AM

If its an independent bookstore I'll go talk to the owner/manager about it. Most are HORRIFIED. If its a big chain then if I happen to have one on me I'll slip one of these in: http://www.ezzo.info/trifoldbrochure.pdf

Its heartbreaking what they advocate.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:45 AM

awesome, i'm totally doing that

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

Old 03-24-2008, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datura View Post
If its an independent bookstore I'll go talk to the owner/manager about it. Most are HORRIFIED. If its a big chain then if I happen to have one on me I'll slip one of these in: http://www.ezzo.info/trifoldbrochure.pdf

Its heartbreaking what they advocate.
Thanks so much for that link, I've never seen that brochure before. It's now saved and will be printed and placed strategically.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:20 AM

great ideas...prob wouldnt speak to the proprietor for fear of being labelled a loony (yeah i know, i need to get over what people think of me!) but slipping some literature in would be great, plus recommendations of gentle baby books like Dr Sears.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:08 AM

I hide them too! Thought I was a lone nut.

Mama to EG, Mate to MD, Writer, Editor, International Jewel Thief.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:49 AM

I hide them too. I am glad there are so many of us!
Old 03-24-2008, 10:39 AM

Great Link, you guys have inspired me!
Old 03-24-2008, 01:37 PM

Ha, great handout. I think I'll start stealth placing it too.

DS 5yrs coolshine.gif DD 1.5 joy.gif Second mommy to 4 DD's jumpers.gif

Old 03-24-2008, 01:45 PM

i hide them at the library, like underneath the shelving units

wife to my awesome DH, homeschooling, unassisted birthing, food growing, life loving mama to 5 crazy monkeys. :
Old 03-24-2008, 03:14 PM

Okay maybe I'm the only one who hasn't read these books....? What are the tips they give? They are pro-abuse?!?!?!? Say WHAT?!

Well you ladies rock for being so awesome as to slip in cio info, hide books, and manipulate the sales shelves so healthier parenting books are more available!!
Old 03-24-2008, 03:26 PM

I just have to say that hiding books makes me really uncomfortable. I think the inserts is a great idea, but the thought that other people are hiding literature because they deem it "bad" really bothers me. I think its not our place to decide what people should or shouldn't read.

jmo...
Old 03-24-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAU3 View Post
I just have to say that hiding books makes me really uncomfortable. I think the inserts is a great idea, but the thought that other people are hiding literature because they deem it "bad" really bothers me. I think its not our place to decide what people should or shouldn't read.

jmo...
Me too. Hiding books is censorship, whether they are good books or bad books. How would you feel if someone were hiding every copy of the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding to serve their own agenda?

I hate the Babywise books, too, but 1) you have to let people make up their own minds and 2) if you want to really make a difference, talk to the owners/managers. Even the big box stores have a local manager. If you are polite, the facts speak for themselves. If they don't, ask your friends to complain, too.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
Old 03-24-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:

jmo...
I hate hate hate the Babywise books... I have a friend that recommended them but fortunately my childbirth teacher did a specific bit on cases of FTT, etc that had been caused by them.

Having said that... if I read in a mainstream forum that people were hiding extreme crunchy books, I would be HORRIFIED. I say stick to the inserts. It's tempting to want to censor but I don't think it's our place.

(also jmo)

jillian+1 loves Miss MoJo (July 2007) and misses Henri (May 1970 - August 2009)
Old 03-24-2008, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:

jmo...
I agree. Besides, think of all of the additional work that is created for the employees responsible for straightening the shelves at the end of the day.

What if there was a person hiding all of the AP books in the bookstore because they didn't agree with the ideas of AP? Just because you don't agree with the contents means that you have a right to hide the books.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:21 PM

Thanks for the link to the handout! That's great. Very concise, to the point and well written! I'll be printing those out and placing them stratigically.

Just a quick story on talking to managers about books. My mom sister and I were in a big chain book store (can't remember if it was b&n or boarders now) and saw a book called "Boys are Stupid, Throw Rocks at Them" . After flipping through it, we were really bothered by the fact that this book that openly bashed males was on front tables easily accessible by young children. We understood that it was supposed to be a joke, but didn't think it was funny and were concerned about how sexist it was. I mean just imagine if you took out the word "boys" in the title and replaced it with "girls." I don't think it's ok to be disrespectful to either sex.

Anyway, we brought the book to the manager and politely pointed out our concerns. The manager promptly moved the books off the front display tables and put them on a shelf somewhere in the back of the store.

My point is talking to the manager calmly and politely with well reasoned arguments can have immediate effect. Don't be scared to do it. I think the handout linked could be helpful in talking to managers about the Enzzo books.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post
What if there was a person hiding all of the AP books in the bookstore because they didn't agree with the ideas of AP? Just because you don't agree with the contents means that you have a right to hide the books.
Absolutely I have a *right* to hide the books. It isn't illegal to hide the books. And I equate the content of those books with the abuse of children, therefore, I'm willing to walk the line of moral obligation and censorship, if that's what you want to call it.

I'm not burning the books. I'm not destroying the books. I'm not defacing the books. I'm turning them around. Facing them backwards. Placing them behind other books with healthier messages.

Fight fire with fire, I say...and personally, I think that the mainstream culture does a far better job at "hiding" away the aspects of attachment parenting and healthy living and pro-child/pro-family ideals through the barrage of messages we get every day through all sorts of media and cultural norms/attitudes.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:37 PM

I hide them too. I don't see anything wrong with it. I have also made up stickers to place on the books that warn against some of the methods.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
Old 03-24-2008, 04:44 PM

Hooray, thought police!

Is it possible that by hiding the books elsewhere, you're actually drawing attention to them? I bet the bookseller who has to put them back all the time knows author and title, but doesn't know any AP books. Wouldn't it be sadly ironic if that's the parenting book they reached for when they had children because it had been drawn to their attention every time they found it in the business section and had to walk it across the store to parenting, and other parenting books had never met their notice?

Or that by hiding it, the bookstore thinks it's a lost/stolen copy and orders more, making more money for the author?
Old 03-24-2008, 04:46 PM

Whenever I found them in stores I would put Babywise in the horror section

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
Old 03-24-2008, 06:43 PM

Not agreeing or disagreeing, but what does babywise say? Never read it, luckily it seems. I have a friend who swears by it, but I just don't know what it is, please share...

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
Old 03-24-2008, 06:56 PM

I don't walk them across the store or anything like that. I move them so that it won't be the one that is on the endcap or whatever it's called, or the one that's faced sideways on the shelf so it's the first thing you see, instead those books are decent AP books and not the "bad" books.

I agree that you could create the undesired effect of drawing too much attention to the 'bad' books and having someone read them first because they are the most well known ones if you do things like move them completely or whatever.

I still pull the AP books out of being hidden on the shelf and put them in the more prominent places, in front of the most prominent 'mainstream' books. In reality, the only books being MOVED are the AP books-- to places where they will draw more attention and be more accessible.

I do like the pamphlet idea, too, though.

In any case, I don't consider what I do to be any form of nefarious 'censorship'. It's marketing, all of it. That's why they put those books in the most prominent places in the first place, and why I replace them.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:11 PM

I don't think it is a good idea to hide the Babywise books. If the bookseller or store notices an empty space on the shelf, he or she may just re-order more Babywise books, then you end up with twice as many as before! What good is that, LOL?

I think printing out info to stick in the front cover of the Babywise books about the dangers of CIO is a much better alternative.

If I see Babywise books at a secondhand bookseller or garage sale, I always buy them up and throw them in the firepit in the backyard. That way, they are out of circulation forever!

ETA: I do love the previous poster's idea of moving them to the horror section!

User Tag List