Awful, awful children's books - Page 12 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#331 of 333 Old 12-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't like "Guess How Much I Love You". I thought it was pretty cute when I first started reading it to my oldest. But the more I read it and thought about it the less I liked how the older bunny always had to "one up" the younger bunny. It just didn't sit well with me.
#332 of 333 Old 12-24-2008, 04:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotmama View Post
I won't read Oh, the Places You'll Go by Suess
I won't buy that book for my kids, if they come home with it from another source and want to read it then I will, grudgingly. Both the valedictorian and the guest speaker at my high school graduation based their speeches on this book. Long, boring and since the gym was not air conditioned during an early heat wave, hot and miserable. It does not bring about good memories.
#333 of 333 Old 12-24-2008, 04:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post
I actually like Beatrix Potter FOR this reason. It's a far more realistic portrayal of the relationship between animals (yes, foxes eat ducks, and duck eggs, dogs eat duck eggs, cats eat mice, fish eat frogs, kittens play with mice but don't usually eat them (I LOVE Miss Moppet ), etc. Farmers eat rabbits so the rabbits don't eat their vegetables. IT'S LIFE! I don't want DD to all of a sudden discover when she's 8 that animals get eaten by us and other animals. I grew up knowing that, and I've always been pretty comfortable with the natural world and the realities of an omnivorous diet and what you need to do to keep your veggies safe. Thanks, Beatrix! Plus they are beautiful books, aesthetically, and they build interesting vocabulary like nothing else.

Yes it is life. But when you put little dresses and coats on the critters and they're running around on their hind legs when they normally wouldn't do that in real life the rules change. At least for me. I grew up watching plenty of PBS and Wild America and all of those shows. Between that and living on a farm I had a darned good idea of how the "circle of life" worked. But seeing a cutely drawn critter, wearing a dress and acting like a human being eaten--let's just say that I can see how that could be disturbing for some and why they would not want to expose their toddlers/pre-schoolers to it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page