Forum Jump: 

#91 of 165 Old 06-21-2008, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post
(Edited to put it nicely):

Please recall the point of this thread, as laid out by its founder, NewCrunchyDaddy, on his first post (and this is what his first post always states, every month. Thank you)

"The rules are simple. Post the books you read throughout the month with a quick whether or not you liked it and/or you'd recommend it."
I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I am hoping you will try to see the point of view of others on this. I think you have made some people not feel welcome here if they don't always have the time to post more than just titles.

Can you agree that we all have busy lives and might feel at certain times that we don't have time to make detailed posts?

I guess it comes down to the fact that this challenge thread is here for our enjoyment. It's not like it's a job with requirements for how we "perform". We're here to have fun, right? And if we can't be accepting of other people and what they feel they have time to contribute, that makes it less fun for those people. And really, it makes it less fun for me to know that we're scaring potential participants away.

And FYI, although NewCrunchyDaddy has been doing an awesome job starting our threads this year, the book challenge idea/thread started long ago by someone else. I forget their name, but just wanted to give them credit for the great idea in the first place.

my .02,
Kelly

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 165 Old 06-21-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderdust View Post

Black Heart, Ivory Bones by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling

From the same series of retold fairy tales as Ruby Slippers, Golden Tears. Contains a unique version of "The Little Red Shoes", told from the perspective of a country line-dancing lesbian who has been cursed for her pride. Also an enjoyable read.

A Wolf at the Door and Other Retold Fairy Tales by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling

Seems to be aimed at a younger audience than ]Ruby Slippers, Golden Tears and Black Heart, Ivory Bones, but not a bad read. Deals with the fairy tales from a teenage perspective.

After the Baby's Birth: A Woman's Way to Wellness: A Complete Guide for Postpartum Women by Robin Lim

This book was recommended by my midwife. Definitely a good read for someone interested in a natural, gentle postpartum period, especially those who are planning a homebirth.
thanks! I'm going for these next. You're the second one recently to bring up the Windling books. Someone mentioned Deerskin(?) and said it was very adult but very good...
#93 of 165 Old 06-21-2008, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snozzberry View Post
And FYI, although NewCrunchyDaddy has been doing an awesome job starting our threads this year, the book challenge idea/thread started long ago by someone else. I forget their name, but just wanted to give them credit for the great idea in the first place.
: just coming to post that. This was going on long before I joined MDC, and I think we need to scale back here and realize that we all have different expectations for the Book Challenges there are no hard and fast "rules" more of what you'd call "guidelines" (in the words of Captain Barbossa).

As for those "guidelines" all I've been doing is reproducing what someone else wrote a year or so ago ... so they're not even mine.

Anyway, let's try to keep it all friendly and above the belt here? Can we agree to that? I know I, for one, would hate to see the Book Challenge head south, so to speak.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#94 of 165 Old 06-21-2008, 06:55 PM

I just finished Sisterchicks Go Brit! by Robin Jones Gunn. All the Sisterchicks books are stand-alone, so you can read them separately. They are always about two middle-aged women who take a trip together somewhere in the world - Hawaii, Australia, etc.

Also read The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett and I did not like it, although it only took about 5 minutes to read because the book is so small and the margins are huge. None of the characters were fleshed out and there was really no storyline to follow, other than the Queen discovering that she likes to read. (How's that for a "do not recommend?")
#95 of 165 Old 06-21-2008, 08:00 PM

#12 The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy by Jeanne Birdsall

Good fun read about four sisters adventure one summer while they stay in a vacation rental with thier dad and dog Hound for 3 weeks. Fun and lighthearted.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#96 of 165 Old 06-21-2008, 10:08 PM

#40 The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray

Clever, passionate, self-deprecating Gemma Doyle—I'm going to miss you. This final book of the Gemma Doyle trilogy was maybe a little on the long side, but I enjoyed it all and I was sad when it was over. At the moment I finished reading the last page, I found myself wanting to immediately start re-reading the first book of the trilogy—A Great and Terrible Beauty. The only other time I've felt that urge with a fiction series is with Harry Potter!

I can't wait to see what else this writer does.

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#97 of 165 Old 06-21-2008, 11:26 PM

Hi all!

I've never posted in this forum but I'd love to join you all.

Some of the books I read are for my book club, meaning I wouldn't have necessarily selected them on my own. These are what I have read in June so far.

Runaway by Alice Munro
This was a collection of short stories. Very well written and beautiful but also very melancholy and depressing IMO. Each was tinged with such sadness and a sense that life had passed the characters by. The best was over and not much good was to come.

The Arc of Justice: A Saga of Race, Murder, and Civil Rights in the Jazz Age by Kevin Boyle
An incredible book! I devoured this one. You must love history and lots of details to get in to this book, but it was so very worth it. It deals with a famous murder case and civil rights issues, and the history of slavery and segregation in the US. It was also about the legal system and politics. The story and writing were amazing. And definitely relevant to today as well.

Soul by Tobsha Learner
This definitely goes more into the "fluff" category for me, but it was still a fun, page turner. I have also read her Witch of Cologne and enjoyed that as well. Again, not exactly "literary" in nature, but good for a little escapism.

I know this is supposed to be for the month of June, but I can't resist throwing in a couple of my favorites from last month too. Especially in case anyone wants to discuss.

Whitewashing Race: The Myth of a Color-Blind Society by Michael Brown and Elliot Currie
I highly recommend this to anyone who is interested in current-day race relations in the US. Very academic but packed with lots of pertinent information. I actually bought a copy to keep as reference. Again, I'd love to discuss if anyone is up for it.

Not on Our Watch: The Mission to End Genocide in Darfur and Beyond by Don Cheadle
Great activism book. And I love Don Cheadle. I learned a lot more about Darfur and what I could do to help enact change.

The River Wife by Jonis Agee
I wasn't sure what this one would be like when I first picked it up, but then I loved it! Another definite page turner but it kept me on my toes as well. Stories are woven together and it was really fascinating! It would be a great summer read.

Child of Mine: Feeding with Love and Good Sense by Ellyn Satter
This is a great book for anyone who has ever had any question on feeding his or her children. It was really useful for my husband and I and how we feed and think about feeding our children.

Right now I'm reading the Audacity of Hope and The Nine by JeffreyToobin. But I think I might start The Rossetti Letter as well (it's my next book club selection).

Amazing Mama Birth Services
CD(DONA) and Birthing From Within Mentor and Birth Doula
#98 of 165 Old 06-22-2008, 12:27 AM

7. "The Gilded Chamber" by Rebecca Kohn
A retelling of the story of Esther from the Old Testament. While the story follows the Biblical one, the author takes creative license with the details. Esther is one of my favorite books in the Bible but I did find myself bored with this book. Didn't hate it but I won't tell you to rush and get it.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
#99 of 165 Old 06-22-2008, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter

Now that everybody's had a cookie and their bloodsugar is normal and we're all friends again ...

#64 The Host
by Stephenie Meyer

My review of The Host can be found here.

#1 The Time Machine, #2 The Shining (Audio): Redux, #3 Curious George, #4 Animal Farm: A Fairy Story, #5 The Tragedy of Othello, Moor of Venice (Bantam Anthology), #6 A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four, #7 "A Study in Emerald", #8 The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead, #9 Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them, #10 Quidditch Through the Ages, #11 On the Day You Were Born, #12 The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark (Bantam Anthology), #13 The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare, #14 Rubyfruit Jungle, #15 John, Paul, George & Ben, #16 The Merchant of Venice (Bantam Anthology): Redux, #17 Dinotopia: A Land Apart from Time, #18 Trent's Last Case, #19 Cyrano de Bergerac: A Heroic Comedy in Five Acts, #20 Animal Dads, #21 Faggots, #22 A Day with Wilbur Robinson, #23 And Then There Were None, #24 Eating Between the Lines: The Supermarket Shopper's Guide to the Truth Behind Food Labels, #25 Henry IV, Part One, #26 Zami, A New Spelling of My Name: A Biomythography, #27 Twelfth Night, or What You Will (Bantam Anthology), #28 Murder Must Advertise, #29 Stagestruck: Theater, AIDS, and the Marketing of Gay America, #30 Angels in America, A Gay Fantasia on National Themes, Part One: Millennium Approaches, #31 The Tragedy of Macbeth (Bantam Anthology), #32 Stone of Destiny: The Story of Lady Macbeth, #33 Ian Pollack's Illustrated King Lear #34 Celtic Folklore Cooking, #35 Angels in America, A Gay Fantasia on National Themes, Part Two: Perestroika Revised Edition), #36 The Winter's Tale (Bantam Anthology), #37 Tolkien's Art: A Mythology for England, #38 The Body (Audio), #39 Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption (Audio), #40 Four Past Midnight: The Sun Dog (Audio), #41 The Tempest (Bantam Anthology): Redux, #42 World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War, #43 Science Verse, #44 Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich and Other Stories You’re Sure to Like Because They’re All About Monsters and Some of Them are Also About Food. You Like Food, Don’t You? Well, All Right Then, #45 Case Histories, #46 Time Bandit: Two Brothers, the Bering Sea, and One of the World's Deadliest Jobs, #47 Why Pandas Do Handstands and Other Curious Truths About Animals, #48 Rolling the R's, #49 Spooky ABC, #50 A is for Arches: A Utah Alphabet, #51 Raven: A Trickster Tale from the Pacific Northwest, #52 E is for Evergreen: A Washington Alphabet, #53 Beowulf (Longman Anthology), #54-60 The Harry Potter Series (Audio), #60 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Audio), #61 The Gingerbread Girl (Audio), #62 A Whale Hunt: Two Years on the Olympic Peninsula with the Makah and Their Canoe, #63 Heart-Shaped Box (Audio), #64 The Host

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#100 of 165 Old 06-22-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
Now that everybody's had a cookie and their bloodsugar is normal and we're all friends again ...
I'm still trying to decide if I want to keep posting here or not, but I did want you to know that I took this as permission to have a cookie(s?) for breakfast this instant while everyone is still asleep.
#101 of 165 Old 06-22-2008, 01:41 PM

Oh good, we are allowed to have cookies for breakfast around here. I think I'm gonna like you guys. Actually, this morning DH let me sleep in until 9 AM!!! I thought I had died and gone to heaven! I can not remember the last time my body was able to wake up on it's own. Of course I was up multiple times during the night with our 20MO. But then I got to sleep straight from 5 AM to 9 AM! Even better than having cookies (and coffee!) for breakfast.

I was reading The Nine (about the Supreme Court Justices) again last night. I was kind of on the fence about it and wasn't sure if I'd keep going, but it is still keeping my interest. Someone else on this thread read it, right? Was it worth it? I have so much else to read, but I guess I am motivated in part by the current election, and honestly, very concerned about what the impact may be on The Court if McCain is elected. I am assuming I will get a better understanding of this if I keep reading. Am I right?

#102 of 165 Old 06-22-2008, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufomander View Post
I'm still trying to decide if I want to keep posting here or not, but I did want you to know that I took this as permission to have a cookie(s?) for breakfast this instant while everyone is still asleep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMama View Post
Oh good, we are allowed to have cookies for breakfast around here. I think I'm gonna like you guys. Actually, this morning DH let me sleep in until 9 AM!!! I thought I had died and gone to heaven! I can not remember the last time my body was able to wake up on it's own. Of course I was up multiple times during the night with our 20MO. But then I got to sleep straight from 5 AM to 9 AM! Even better than having cookies (and coffee!) for breakfast.
I didn't have cookies for breakfast, just half a bag of chocolate chips and flat root beer. It's too hot here for me to care otherwise.

#103 of 165 Old 06-22-2008, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm still trying to decide if I want to keep posting here or not
Don't go ... I love your posts and have a number of books on my to read list based on your recommendations. Please?

#104 of 165 Old 06-22-2008, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Dearly Devoted Dexter by Jeff Lindsay

This is the second in his "Dexter" series, and probably helped to inspire the second season of the "Dexter" TV series. I haven't seen the 2nd season yet, so I didn't have any of the surprises spoiled for me (although I suspect many of the plotlines in the series were created just for the show and not in the book), but I was a bit disappointed in how it was wrapped up nice and tidy (and quickly) at the end. It was really good, but left me a bit frustrated when I was finished.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#105 of 165 Old 06-22-2008, 09:37 PM

I guess I forgot to subscribe to the thread this month since I haven't had time to read. I was just trying to catch up, and I have to say that I always thought the point of the book challenge was for each of us to keep track of our own reading goals, and a positive by product is getting some recommended reads. I don't think it has to be a hard and fast rule to review every book.

~Beth, mama to two amazing girls, ages 12 and 6~

#106 of 165 Old 06-22-2008, 11:10 PM

It seems like I can't do this for more than a month or two at a time. I haven't been around for a while (family crisis and all that ) but I'm always so glad when I do. So I'll try again. And I'm glad I made it back in time for the cookies!

Here's what I've read lately:

Love the One You're With by Emily Giffin
Definitely chick lit-esque. It had more substance and soul than is typical for the genre. It actually made me think. I would definitely recommend this book for some entertaining and still thought provoking (small thoughts) reading. It's about a woman who is happily married but runs into her ex that she had a really intense relationship. It's kind of exploring the road not taken. Quite good.

A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn
An incredibly dense book. It was fascinating though. I know it was from a skewed perspective but I genuinely believe no more skewed than our history textbooks. Some things in it just blew my mind.

Such a Pretty Fat by Jen Lancaster
Hilarious book. I didn't actually laugh out loud but it was still quite funny. About Jen's journey toward losing weight. I really liked it.

The Host by Stephenie Meyer
The woman writes the literary equivalent of crack cocaine, I swear. My DH and kids were leaving the house so I could get my sermon written and I actually had to send the book with him because I knew I wouldn't have enough discipline to put it down. Not literary genius, but wonderful, full characters. I didn't want it to end but couldn't stop reading it.

Screen Doors and Sweet Tea by Martha Hall Foose
A true Southern cookbook with great recipes and neat stories. I got it from the library but think I'm going to ask for it for my birthday.

Lady of the Snakes by Rachel Pastan
Got this one from the NPR summer reading list. It was good. Some of the descriptions of motherhood in this book were so accurate and terrific that it made the book for me. I read it and thought, "yes, exactly!" The plot is good even without those descriptions. A new mom tries to figure out how to juggle motherhood and a really neat career in academia. I felt like the author kind of let the story peter out at the end and it wasn't quite as good. Almost seemed like she got tired of writing and wrapped it all up quickly. Still a good read and those descriptions were incredible. Like this just after the main character has her first child. "She felt she might cry, as she had cried twice already today, exhaustion hollowing her out and a powerful brew of hormones shooting poisonously through the emptiness. Jane didn't cry often, and the feeling of tears in her eyes was almost as foreign as that of the milk on her nipples. She didn't like the way so much emotion had moved in, a guest who'd left all the faucets dripping. Who was this Jane from whom unfamiliar liquids seeped, who lay beeched like a whale against the pillows?" Good stuff, huh?

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
Reading her adult book inspired me to go back reread the other series. Still just as good though I find myself more impatient with Bella, the main character than I was last time. Still a terrific read and a slightly less addicting version of literary crack.
#107 of 165 Old 06-23-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
: just coming to post that. This was going on long before I joined MDC, and I think we need to scale back here and realize that we all have different expectations for the Book Challenges there are no hard and fast "rules" more of what you'd call "guidelines" (in the words of Captain Barbossa).

As for those "guidelines" all I've been doing is reproducing what someone else wrote a year or so ago ... so they're not even mine.

Anyway, let's try to keep it all friendly and above the belt here? Can we agree to that? I know I, for one, would hate to see the Book Challenge head south, so to speak.
I agree! Let's keep it all friendly and play nice with each other! I enjoy this thread. : And thanks for the Captain Barbossa quote too, brought a smile to my face. And I would eat cookies for breakfast if I had any.

Quote:
Don't go ... I love your posts and have a number of books on my to read list based on your recommendations. Please?
Yes, please stay Bufomander!

I dont have any books to post yet, my last few books have been proceeding slowly to the end. I'm not sure I am going to make my goal this year. I cant even remember what my goal was actually.....85 books? I think I'm at 26......

Okay, I just looked at January's thread and my goal is 75 (thanks for always linking the other threads NCD )
#108 of 165 Old 06-23-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:

I was reading The Nine (about the Supreme Court Justices) again last night. I was kind of on the fence about it and wasn't sure if I'd keep going, but it is still keeping my interest. Someone else on this thread read it, right? Was it worth it? I have so much else to read, but I guess I am motivated in part by the current election, and honestly, very concerned about what the impact may be on The Court if McCain is elected. I am assuming I will get a better understanding of this if I keep reading. Am I right?
I read it. I thought it was worth the read...but one thing about book reviews is that they often say more about the reviewer than they do about the book!

(I did skim some parts, though I found most of it to be really interesting.)

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#109 of 165 Old 06-23-2008, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post
And...........what did you think of it? Good? Bad? Worth other people's time?
About the Adoration of Jenna Fox . . . I didn't put a recommendation because it was just so-so. Pretty good but great, great. I always write when I love a book or hate a book - but this was one that was one I could take or leave.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#110 of 165 Old 06-23-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellemarie View Post
Dear Everyone At MDC Who Read Case Histories by Kate Atkinson,

Thank you for reading it and posting it here. I wouldn't have found this book without you.

Love,
Me

This isn't the best book ever for me but it's good. I've read good books lately that made me want to keep reading, but the pages of Case Histories demand to be turned. I love that in a book. It did unravel a bit toward the end. As though the author couldn't maintain the intensity and just GO THERE. But it's still very much worth reading.
YAY! THat was my recommendation

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#111 of 165 Old 06-23-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Buf - I'd really, really miss you and your book recs. Please stay . . .

#112 of 165 Old 06-23-2008, 05:32 PM

Two GREAT books - both from recommendations on this thread and both completely different:

"Still Waters" by Jennifer Lauck

The sequel to "Blackbird" - more about her disfunctional and sad childhood - god what a messed up family and life she had. Heartbreaking but great book.

"Drunk, Divorced, and Covered in Cat Hair" by Laurie Perry

This was so funny about a women getting divorced (by her husband's choice) and how she gets through it. Very fun.

#113 of 165 Old 06-23-2008, 05:58 PM

Question: what if we cut-n-pasted a brief description of the book that someone else had written, like on Amazon, as well as whether or not we'd recommend it?

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#114 of 165 Old 06-23-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Question: what if we cut-n-pasted a brief description of the book that someone else had written, like on Amazon, as well as whether or not we'd recommend it?
I've cut and pasted amazon's description lots of times.
#115 of 165 Old 06-23-2008, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Whatever works for you and the time you have to post.

#116 of 165 Old 06-23-2008, 09:17 PM

Swan Sister: Fairy Tales Retold by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling

(from Amazon)

"Not as exciting as Datlow and Windling's previous anthology,

A Wolf at the Door, these fairy-tale retellings are driven more by ideas and message than by story. In fact, the general introduction-- fairy tales were originally told to adults before they were sweetened and simplified--and the commentary on the stories are sometimes more interesting than the tales themselves. But the ideas are fun, and the lively, contemporary play with the old tales will entertain many teens. Neil Gaiman makes us think about Scheharazade. Will Shetterly questions where that 'handy woodsman' really comes from to save Little Red Riding Hood. Far from passive, Rapunzel frees herself, and Sleeping Beauty actually wakes up regularly and secretly gets things done." I didn't realize that this was geared towards a younger age bracket when I started reading it (it was in the grownup's section of my library!), but realized it must be so after a few pages. Still, it was an enjoyable read. The title story was beautiful, although heartbreaking.

(I think this makes book #9 for me this month. This morning I started on Map of Bones by James Rollins, recommended by someone else on this thread.)

#117 of 165 Old 06-24-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
A while back (maybe all the way to the 2006 thread? or early in 2007?), people used to do this fairly often. And then another member said that it was a waste of space and that she could go to Amazon herself if she wanted to hear what they had to say. :

I'm totally fine with cut and paste descriptions, just wanted to say how/why I'd slowly started doing that less... (It's that Lincoln quote all over again...isn't it Lincoln?)
#118 of 165 Old 06-24-2008, 12:26 PM

"Maya Running" by Aniali Baneriee

About an teenage Indian girl growing up in Canada. Not as good as I thought it would be.

#119 of 165 Old 06-24-2008, 12:40 PM

Not sure if anyone else is on GoodReads (www.goodreads.com) but this is another site in which you can post your own reviews and then others can see them. As opposed to Amazon. Just a thought. Of course you would still have to write a review yourself, but I really like GoodReads. My bookclub uses it and now I have gotten my mom to sign up too.

#120 of 165 Old 06-24-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Not sure if anyone else is on GoodReads (www.goodreads.com) but this is another site in which you can post your own reviews and then others can see them. As opposed to Amazon. Just a thought. Of course you would still have to write a review yourself, but I really like GoodReads. My bookclub uses it and now I have gotten my mom to sign up too.
Nancy Pearl was just talking about that website on NPR yesterday. I think I'll have to check it out.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page