June 2008 Book Challenge - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 165 Old 06-24-2008, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's been a slow summer on the reading front but I'm coming along.

#23 The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World 2008 by Bob Sehlinger
We're planning on hitting Disney world this year and I wanted some insider info. This guide was so incredibly thorough I feel like I've already been to Disney, died from exhaustion, and spent more money than I had. So I'm canceling my trip, lol. Just kidding. Really anyone considering a Disney trip and wants some insider info I would highly recommend this handy guide.

#24 Behind the Pine Curtain by Gerri Hill
This weekend a friend of mine who is a big Gerri Hill fan lent me two of her books to read through. She calls it "trash" but it's basically lesbian romance. The story started off great, the characters and plot totally drew me in but the ending was like walking into a brick wall. It just stopped. It was like the author was tried of writing and just ended it. I'm going to read the other one and then make a call on whether I'll read anymore of her books. I guess this would be a good, light, quick read. I read it in 2 days.

-Rachel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 165 Old 06-24-2008, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderdust View Post
Question: what if we cut-n-pasted a brief description of the book that someone else had written, like on Amazon, as well as whether or not we'd recommend it?

I usually do this, and then add a few words of my own. Just make sure that your quote from amazon stays within the posting guidelines (i.e., under 100 words of quoting); I've been asked to edit by mods before when just pasting the whole thing which is why I often use ... in the middle of the posts to edit out the fluff and just post a synopsis.
#123 of 165 Old 06-24-2008, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think this is getting too complicated, personally. I've been in this thread since it was started by Mamabug as a way to motivate herself to read 100 books in a year - and it has evolved for some of us into a thread for book recommendations. I think each of us should be able to use the thread the way we like - as tool for keeping track of what we've read, keeping count, or just posting to give opinions.

I do appreciate it when people include whether or not they'd recommend a book but if they don't and I think I might be interested, I've just posted asking their opinion. If I have to go to amazon for every book I post - and I post a lot - and cut a paste a description - I would drop from the thread or just lurk because I'd rather spend my time reading . . . .

Hope I haven't offended anyone because really this is the only thread I go to regularly and I'd hate to lose it.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#124 of 165 Old 06-24-2008, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMama View Post
Not sure if anyone else is on GoodReads (www.goodreads.com) but this is another site in which you can post your own reviews and then others can see them. As opposed to Amazon. Just a thought. Of course you would still have to write a review yourself, but I really like GoodReads. My bookclub uses it and now I have gotten my mom to sign up too.
Another good site is LibraryThing: http://www.librarything.com/

I like some of the features there better than GoodReads.

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#125 of 165 Old 06-24-2008, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe View Post
Hope I haven't offended anyone because really this is the only thread I go to regularly and I'd hate to lose it.
It certainly doesn't sound like we have consensus about any "rules" so I take that to mean we can all continue doing as we'd like. Please don't leave, anyone! I get great ideas for what to read from you guys.

#126 of 165 Old 06-24-2008, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe View Post
I think this is getting too complicated, personally. I've been in this thread since it was started by Mamabug as a way to motivate herself to read 100 books in a year - and it has evolved for some of us into a thread for book recommendations. I think each of us should be able to use the thread the way we like - as tool for keeping track of what we've read, keeping count, or just posting to give opinions.

I do appreciate it when people include whether or not they'd recommend a book but if they don't and I think I might be interested, I've just posted asking their opinion. If I have to go to amazon for every book I post - and I post a lot - and cut a paste a description - I would drop from the thread or just lurk because I'd rather spend my time reading . . . .

Amen to all of that. Let's all follow the K.I.S.S. method and Keep it Simple Stupid. So, in that vein of thinking, let's not worry about the rules or guidleines or whatever and just post whatever you *@%&-well please and to spleef with the consequences.

So, here are the new modified guidelines for the Book Challenge:

1) Post the books you read ... or not
2) Post a recommendation ... or not
3) Number your book ... or not
4) Make a goal ... or not
5) Have fun with books (This one, unfortunately, is MANDATORY)

Can we all agree to these? Because, like Cathe, this is the only thread on MDC that I visit regularly and I'd hate to lose it.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#127 of 165 Old 06-24-2008, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snozzberry View Post
Another good site is LibraryThing: http://www.librarything.com/

I like some of the features there better than GoodReads.
We actually have a Library Thing Mothering Group: http://www.librarything.com/groups/motheringcom#forums

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#128 of 165 Old 06-25-2008, 12:43 AM

#21: The Fifth Vial by Michael Palmer
Another book from the library free table that looked like it might be pretty good. Honestly, it was difficult to get into but about half way through it started getting pretty interesting. It is about organ theft based on a caste system.

2008 Book Challenge: #1. Tuesdays with Morrie (Albom); #2. Searching for the Sound My life with the Grateful Dead (Lesh); #3. Fastfood Nation (Schlosser); #4. Along Came a Spider (Patterson) #5. Divine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood (Wells); #6. The Thirteenth Tale (Setterfield) #7. The Poisonwood Bible (Kingsolver); #8. Twilight (Meyer); #9. New Moon (Meyer); #10. Eclipse (Meyer); #11. Eat, Pray, Love (Gilbert); #12. The Golden Compass (Pullman); #13: The Subtle Knife (Pullman); #14: The Amber Spyglass (Pullman); #15: Outlander (Galbadon); #16: Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (Brashares); #17: Where are you now? (Clarke); #18: The Appeal (Grisham); #19: The Host (Meyer); #20: Summer Time (Rigbey)

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#129 of 165 Old 06-25-2008, 01:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
We actually have a Library Thing Mothering Group: http://www.librarything.com/groups/motheringcom#forums
Oh, wow! I'm joining it right now! I was entering all of our books into LibraryThing.com a couple of weeks ago, but I filled up all of the spots for the free version! I need to pay for the full version so I can finish entering them in.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#130 of 165 Old 06-25-2008, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemom2 View Post
#21: The Fifth Vial by Michael Palmer
Another book from the library free table that looked like it might be pretty good. Honestly, it was difficult to get into but about half way through it started getting pretty interesting. It is about organ theft based on a caste system.

2008 Book Challenge: #1. Tuesdays with Morrie (Albom); #2. Searching for the Sound My life with the Grateful Dead (Lesh); #3. Fastfood Nation (Schlosser); #4. Along Came a Spider (Patterson) #5. Divine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood (Wells); #6. The Thirteenth Tale (Setterfield) #7. The Poisonwood Bible (Kingsolver); #8. Twilight (Meyer); #9. New Moon (Meyer); #10. Eclipse (Meyer); #11. Eat, Pray, Love (Gilbert); #12. The Golden Compass (Pullman); #13: The Subtle Knife (Pullman); #14: The Amber Spyglass (Pullman); #15: Outlander (Galbadon); #16: Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (Brashares); #17: Where are you now? (Clarke); #18: The Appeal (Grisham); #19: The Host (Meyer); #20: Summer Time (Rigbey)
That sounds like something I need to look up!

#131 of 165 Old 06-25-2008, 10:26 AM

#26 God Delusion (audio) – While there were many interesting facts and ideas in this book, I feel like I missed many of them because of the strange recording. The author and another person alternated reading, with often no reason why they would switch back and forth, and her voice was significantly louder than his. Also, the tracks often ended in the middle of a sentence making it difficult to stop and start. Someday I’ll pick it up again, but the paper version. There were a lot of ideas that I missed the first time around and would like a chance to consider them individually and at my own pace.
#132 of 165 Old 06-25-2008, 01:23 PM

#33: Predictably Irrational, by Dan Ariely

Non fiction. This is an amazing book - a must-read for anyone who's interested in why and how people make decisions. The author is a professor of behavioral economics at MIT, and he discusses many experiments that he and colleagues do on decision-making and how it's affected by prices, emotions, and the influences of other people. Our decisions are not rational, but they often are predictably irrational (hence the title). Really cool stuff, and it will make you think about how you make your own decisions!

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#133 of 165 Old 06-25-2008, 01:25 PM

55. Rumspringa by Tom Shachtman
This one is about the running-around period that begins at age 16 when Amish youth are allowed to drive cars, listen to rock music, drink, smoke, etc. before they decide if they want to join the church for good or go out and live in the world and be shunned from the community. 90% eventually decide to join the church.

56. The Lady and the Unicorn by Tracy Chevalier
Historical fiction set in 15th century Paris about a painter who designs some tapestries and then gets caught up in some pretty tangled relationships with the women he is painting.
#134 of 165 Old 06-25-2008, 05:34 PM

Dont go Cathe! I love to see what you have read, and I think what you posted sounds great

Quote:
Amen to all of that. Let's all follow the K.I.S.S. method and Keep it Simple Stupid. So, in that vein of thinking, let's not worry about the rules or guidleines or whatever and just post whatever you *@%&-well please and to spleef with the consequences.

So, here are the new modified guidelines for the Book Challenge:

1) Post the books you read ... or not
2) Post a recommendation ... or not
3) Number your book ... or not
4) Make a goal ... or not
5) Have fun with books (This one, unfortunately, is MANDATORY)

Can we all agree to these? Because, like Cathe, this is the only thread on MDC that I visit regularly and I'd hate to lose it.
Sounds good to me

Quote:
Cool! I just joined goodreads yesterday, maybe I'll try this place out too :

#27 Taking Back Childhood by Nancy Carlsson-Paige

I really enjoyed this book. It seems like its going to be another book about the commercialization of childhood in the US, which I like to be informed about. But it gets better, it also includes a lot of information on how we can actively help our kids cope with the commercialization and raise them to be imaginative, empathetic and intelligent adults. Lots of great resources in the back too. Huge thumbs up, I might even buy this book, which is a lot for me, I'm a big library only kind of person.
#135 of 165 Old 06-25-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy926 View Post

Non fiction. This is an amazing book - a must-read for anyone who's interested in why and how people make decisions. The author is a professor of behavioral economics at MIT, and he discusses many experiments that he and colleagues do on decision-making and how it's affected by prices, emotions, and the influences of other people. Our decisions are not rational, but they often are predictably irrational (hence the title). Really cool stuff, and it will make you think about how you make your own decisions!
This is my kind of book! Thank you for the explanation and rec.
#136 of 165 Old 06-25-2008, 06:20 PM

I just joined the librarything as well. It looks cool! But I noticed there hasn't been much activity in the MDC group for a while. Maybe that will change. This thread seems much more active.

Amazing Mama Birth Services
CD(DONA) and Birthing From Within Mentor and Birth Doula
#137 of 165 Old 06-26-2008, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

#65 Why War is Never a Good Idea
by Alice Walker
illustrated by Stefano Vitale

My review of Why War is Never a Good Idea can be found here.

#66 Spicy Hot Colors: Colores Picantes
by Sherry Shahan
illustrated by Paula Barragán

My review of Spicy Hot Colors: Colores Picantes can be found here.

#67 To Everything There is a Season
verses from Ecclesiastes
illustrated by Leo and Diane Dillon

My review of To Everything There is a Season can be found here.

#1 The Time Machine, #2 The Shining (Audio): Redux, #3 Curious George, #4 Animal Farm: A Fairy Story, #5 The Tragedy of Othello, Moor of Venice (Bantam Anthology), #6 A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four, #7 "A Study in Emerald", #8 The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead, #9 Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them, #10 Quidditch Through the Ages, #11 On the Day You Were Born, #12 The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark (Bantam Anthology), #13 The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare, #14 Rubyfruit Jungle, #15 John, Paul, George & Ben, #16 The Merchant of Venice (Bantam Anthology): Redux, #17 Dinotopia: A Land Apart from Time, #18 Trent's Last Case, #19 Cyrano de Bergerac: A Heroic Comedy in Five Acts, #20 Animal Dads, #21 Faggots, #22 A Day with Wilbur Robinson, #23 And Then There Were None, #24 Eating Between the Lines: The Supermarket Shopper's Guide to the Truth Behind Food Labels, #25 Henry IV, Part One, #26 Zami, A New Spelling of My Name: A Biomythography, #27 Twelfth Night, or What You Will (Bantam Anthology), #28 Murder Must Advertise, #29 Stagestruck: Theater, AIDS, and the Marketing of Gay America, #30 Angels in America, A Gay Fantasia on National Themes, Part One: Millennium Approaches, #31 The Tragedy of Macbeth (Bantam Anthology), #32 Stone of Destiny: The Story of Lady Macbeth, #33 Ian Pollack's Illustrated King Lear #34 Celtic Folklore Cooking, #35 Angels in America, A Gay Fantasia on National Themes, Part Two: Perestroika Revised Edition), #36 The Winter's Tale (Bantam Anthology), #37 Tolkien's Art: A Mythology for England, #38 The Body (Audio), #39 Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption (Audio), #40 Four Past Midnight: The Sun Dog (Audio), #41 The Tempest (Bantam Anthology): Redux, #42 World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War, #43 Science Verse, #44 Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich and Other Stories You’re Sure to Like Because They’re All About Monsters and Some of Them are Also About Food. You Like Food, Don’t You? Well, All Right Then, #45 Case Histories, #46 Time Bandit: Two Brothers, the Bering Sea, and One of the World's Deadliest Jobs, #47 Why Pandas Do Handstands and Other Curious Truths About Animals, #48 Rolling the R's, #49 Spooky ABC, #50 A is for Arches: A Utah Alphabet, #51 Raven: A Trickster Tale from the Pacific Northwest, #52 E is for Evergreen: A Washington Alphabet, #53 Beowulf (Longman Anthology), #54-60 The Harry Potter Series (Audio), #60 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Audio), #61 The Gingerbread Girl (Audio), #62 A Whale Hunt: Two Years on the Olympic Peninsula with the Makah and Their Canoe, #63 Heart-Shaped Box (Audio), #64 The Host, #65 Why War is Never a Good Idea, #66 Spicy Hot Colors: Colores Picantes, #67 To Everything There is a Season

#138 of 165 Old 06-26-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy926 View Post

I heard an interview with the author on CBC a month or so ago. It was a riot! Our local library has a copy so I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the reminder.
#139 of 165 Old 06-26-2008, 02:01 PM

Okay, so what's the consensus? Goodreads.com or Librarything.com? I want to know what one I should actually spend time typing on.....:
#140 of 165 Old 06-26-2008, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
#10 - Magic Street by Orson Scott Card

Mack Street, growing up in the middle-class black neighborhood where he was found abandoned as a baby, dreams about other people's wishes, discovers an entrance to Fairyland that no one else can see, and finds that he's at the center of a fairy conflict that is hurting people in his neighborhood. I liked it, though it didn't quite achieve the same level of "realness" as, say, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell (a book featuring fairies and magic that I really, really liked.)
#141 of 165 Old 06-26-2008, 04:20 PM

#18 Island by Alistair MacLeod
this book is his complete stories. they are all well-crafted. set in and around Cape Breton with a couple about locals who moved away. some of the subject matter is heavy, since Cape Breton is economically poor. humorous moments, but overall quite serious stories. for me, i loved how it evoked the pull of geography and family...and how resistance sometimes can be futile.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#142 of 165 Old 06-26-2008, 10:58 PM

"My Most Excellent Year" by Steve Kluger

Fun, quick YA read about 4 students and their 9th grade year in the form of letters, IM's, papers for school, etc.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#143 of 165 Old 06-26-2008, 10:59 PM

Oh - and we're off to visit relatives in Georgia so I'll see y'all on the July thread in a few weeks.

#144 of 165 Old 06-26-2008, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremontmama View Post
Okay, so what's the consensus? Goodreads.com or Librarything.com? I want to know what one I should actually spend time typing on.....:
I haven't used GoodReads much myself, but I really like LibraryThing! Not sure if that helps.

#145 of 165 Old 06-27-2008, 12:30 PM

#34: Look Me In The Eye: my life with Asperger's, by John Elder Robison

All I knew about this book before I opened it was that the author was Augusten Burroughs' brother. By about 20 pages in, I didn't care *whose* brother he was - John Elder Robison can write. He's also the guy who made Ace Frehley's smoking/lit-up/rocket-launching guitars for KISS back in the late 1970s. And he worked for Milton Bradley, designing games. He didn't know he had Asperger's until he was an adult, but it's clear he's thought a lot about it and how to make himself "less weird and more eccentric," as he puts it.

This book made me laugh AND cry, and cringe sometimes, because he is SO honest and really doesn't care about being politically correct or hurting other people's feelings. He knows this, though.

Fascinating read, and very powerful.

(P.S. Augusten Burroughs' real name is Chris Robison.)

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#146 of 165 Old 06-27-2008, 06:40 PM

8. The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
Told from the perspective of the dog on his last day on earth. A somewhat hokey premise but it works.

9. Honeymoon with my brother by Franz Wisner
I did not like this book. I finished it just to do it. The narrator is self-absorbed and on a quest to get laid. It is no wonder his fiancee left him.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
#147 of 165 Old 06-28-2008, 02:39 PM

Okay, here goes.

#76 In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan
by the author of Omnivore's Dilemma. His basic points -- Eat food (ie, actual food, not food product). Not too much. Mostly plants. Good stuff.

#77 What I Was by Meg Rosoff
meh. this was okay -- tells of the friendship between two boys in 1960's Britain, one who lives alone in a hut by the sea, one in a boarding school. Didn't really draw me in.

#78 The 10 Year Nap by Meg Wolitzer
The story of four different women as they enter their late 30s (?). was okay. Deals quite a bit with motherhood/career/marriage issues.

#79 The Translator by Daoud Hari
Author is a tribesman from Dafur. Excellent stuff, tells of his experiences living in Darfur and elsewhere and translating for reporters in the area.
#148 of 165 Old 06-28-2008, 03:19 PM

57. Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt by Anne Rice

This book was beautiful. It is written from the perspective of the boy Jesus at 7 years old, growing up and slowly coming to the realization of who he is. I was pretty skeptical about this book at first, and I honestly believed that Anne Rice was just doing this for attention. But her story of Jesus is very simple and earthy, with very little embellishment and a lot, a lot of historical and theological research. The Jesus in the story is completely human and such a child - he likes to cuddle up next to his mother, he likes to tag along with his father learning carpentry work, he sits at the feet of the Rabbi and soaks up knowledge like a sponge, and most of all he loves to sneak away and be by himself, to lay down in the soft grass and stare up at the trees. Rice's addendum at the end of how she came to write this book is very sincere and moving. I can't wait to read The Road to Cana next.
#149 of 165 Old 06-28-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliki_kila View Post
57. Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt by Anne Rice

This book was beautiful. It is written from the perspective of the boy Jesus at 7 years old, growing up and slowly coming to the realization of who he is. I was pretty skeptical about this book at first, and I honestly believed that Anne Rice was just doing this for attention. But her story of Jesus is very simple and earthy, with very little embellishment and a lot, a lot of historical and theological research. The Jesus in the story is completely human and such a child - he likes to cuddle up next to his mother, he likes to tag along with his father learning carpentry work, he sits at the feet of the Rabbi and soaks up knowledge like a sponge, and most of all he loves to sneak away and be by himself, to lay down in the soft grass and stare up at the trees. Rice's addendum at the end of how she came to write this book is very sincere and moving. I can't wait to read The Road to Cana next.
Yay! Someone else liked it. I read this for a book club and I was the only one who liked it. I felt exactly the same about it. They all thought it was really boring.

~Beth, mama to two amazing girls, ages 12 and 6~

#150 of 165 Old 06-28-2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiestabeth View Post
Yay! Someone else liked it. I read this for a book club and I was the only one who liked it. I felt exactly the same about it. They all thought it was really boring.
I'm glad you liked it just as much! I thought it was profound and moving... boring? No way... I guess if you are in the mood for a John Grisham thriller then this isn't for you. But this is the type of book that goes beyond all that and stirs up something deep inside you.

The quote at the end when he is trying to understand why he came here to live on this earth...

"The answer came as if from the earth itself, as if from the stars, and the soft grass, and the nearby trees, and the purring of the evening. I wasn't sent here to find angels! I wasn't sent here to dream of them. I wasn't sent here to hear them sing! I was sent here to be alive. To breathe and sweat and thirst and sometimes cry. And everything that happened to me, everything both great and small, was something I had to learn! There was room for it in the infinite mind of the Lord and I had to seek the lesson in it, no matter how hard it was to find."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page