Forum Jump: 

#151 of 165 Old 06-28-2008, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliki_kila View Post
57. Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt by Anne Rice

This book was beautiful. It is written from the perspective of the boy Jesus at 7 years old, growing up and slowly coming to the realization of who he is. I was pretty skeptical about this book at first, and I honestly believed that Anne Rice was just doing this for attention. But her story of Jesus is very simple and earthy, with very little embellishment and a lot, a lot of historical and theological research. The Jesus in the story is completely human and such a child - he likes to cuddle up next to his mother, he likes to tag along with his father learning carpentry work, he sits at the feet of the Rabbi and soaks up knowledge like a sponge, and most of all he loves to sneak away and be by himself, to lay down in the soft grass and stare up at the trees. Rice's addendum at the end of how she came to write this book is very sincere and moving. I can't wait to read The Road to Cana next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiestabeth View Post
Yay! Someone else liked it. I read this for a book club and I was the only one who liked it. I felt exactly the same about it. They all thought it was really boring.
I read it when it first came out and loved it too: http://bryansbookblog.blogspot.com/2...-of-egypt.html

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#152 of 165 Old 06-28-2008, 11:08 PM

#80 The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan

This is the fourth book in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. I know some people are getting tired of them, but I'm still really enjoying them. Percy is a young teen (in this one it's the summer before his 15th birthday.) who is a demi-god (his father is Poseidon). I like the author's humor and just enjoy them. They are quick reads for me.
#153 of 165 Old 06-29-2008, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
I read it when it first came out and loved it too: http://bryansbookblog.blogspot.com/2...-of-egypt.html
Great review! I also come from a strong Christian background, and even though I have left the flock it still resonated deeply with me. I had never given much thought to Jesus' childhood. I thought it was so beautiful and poignant.

~Beth, mama to two amazing girls, ages 12 and 6~

#154 of 165 Old 06-29-2008, 09:44 AM

The Little Friend, Donna Tartt

Quote:
Set in small-town Mississippi...family of Harriet Cleve, shattered forever after the murder by hanging of Harriet's nine-year-old brother, Robin, when Harriet was still a baby...Harriet grows up an ornery and precocious child who at age 12 determines that she will finally uncover her brother's murderer...writing-dense, luscious, and exact-and Tartt's ability to reconstruct the life of this family in vivid detail. Harriet in particular is an extraordinary creation; she's a believable child who is also persuasively wise beyond her years.
I very much appreciated the writing in this book; however there were times when the story itself flowed very slow and I felt like the writing was taking over. I wonder if this was a literary device however - one of the characters is on speed, and I kept wondering if the author was trying to slow things down or speed them up to reflect this. The characterizations are rich and lovely, and Harriet is especially a well-developed character. I was also wholly unsatisfied by the ending. I preferred Tartt's first book, The Secret History.

#1-Garden of Beasts, #2-Passporter Guide to WDW, #3-Skylight Confessions, #4 - The Secret, #5 - The Kite Runner, #6 - Gone, #7 - Hidden Mickeys, #8 - Into Thin Air, #9 - Wolf Point, #10 - Ocean Breezes, #11 - Harmony Guide to Cables and Aran, #12 - East, #13 - Getting Started Knitting Socks, #14 - Keeping Faith, #15 - The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight, #16 The Big Nap, #17 - Grave of God's Daughter, #18 - Daddy's Girl, #19 - Behind the Scenes at the Museum, #20 - America, #21 - The Little Friend
#155 of 165 Old 06-29-2008, 10:35 AM

#22: The Other Boelyn Girl by Philippa Gregory
This book has already been described, but for more information check out the link. I really enjoyed this book and would like to read more about this family. I know it wasn't historically accurate, but it was enjoyable. I must admit though there were times when I skimmed parts of pages for important details rather than reading the whole page I'm now finally reading The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan. DH has been reading at school this whole year (well, he's also been reading In Defense of Food at the same time so it's been slow to get it home), I'm glad I will finally have the chance to read it. I love Pollan's previous books/lectures so I'm sure I'll really enjoy this one.

2008 Book Challenge: #1. Tuesdays with Morrie (Albom); #2. Searching for the Sound My life with the Grateful Dead (Lesh); #3. Fastfood Nation (Schlosser); #4. Along Came a Spider (Patterson) #5. Divine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood (Wells); #6. The Thirteenth Tale (Setterfield) #7. The Poisonwood Bible (Kingsolver); #8. Twilight (Meyer); #9. New Moon (Meyer); #10. Eclipse (Meyer); #11. Eat, Pray, Love (Gilbert); #12. The Golden Compass (Pullman); #13: The Subtle Knife (Pullman); #14: The Amber Spyglass (Pullman); #15: Outlander (Galbadon); #16: Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (Brashares); #17: Where are you now? (Clarke); #18: The Appeal (Grisham); #19: The Host (Meyer); #20: Summer Time (Rigbey); #21: The Fifth Vial (Palmer)

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#156 of 165 Old 06-29-2008, 02:20 PM

#41 What's Going on in There?: How the Brain and Mind Develop in the First Five Years of Life by Lise Eliot

Just about every day as I was reading this book, I would read out an interesting sentence or paragraph to my husband. I found it fascinating, and before it goes back to the library I'm going to type up a few quotes to keep around for reference.

A few interesting things I learned:
* The flavor of your breast milk changes depending on what you eat.
* For optimal language development, it's important to have conversations with even young infants. You can do this with face-to-face contact and taking turns so your child gets to hear you speak but also gets a chance to practice herself. Even babies need to know that they are being addressed *and* that they are being heard.
* Sensitive parenting can improve a child's temperament. This means being aware of a baby's signals and responding promptly to her needs. And no matter how busy you are, they should feel that you are available and not ignoring them.
* Babies prefer novelty--new places, toys, experiences. It helps their brains grow.
* Daily infant massage improves a baby's motor skills development.

I like how the author structures each chapter--starting with the biology up front and then ending with how you can encourage that particular area of development, whether it's a sense, motor skills, social-emotional growth, memory, language, or intelligence. (I have to admit that I skipped over some of the biological details, and that structure made it easy for me to do that!)

The book did leave me with a few unanswered questions. For example, I wanted to know what impact baby sign language has on overall language development. And the author mentions that children in bilingual homes start talking later, but she didn't talk about the optimal age for starting to introduce a second language.

But I would highly recommend this book to any parent interested in how their child's mind is developing.

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#157 of 165 Old 06-29-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snozzberry View Post
#41 What's Going on in There?: How the Brain and Mind Develop in the First Five Years of Life by Lise Eliot
That's my favorite book on child development! I liked the experiment on spinning the one twin infant slowly in a chair for several sessions and not the other - the one who spun reached all his motor milestones earlier. And the stuff about infants and emotions/research showing that newborn's brains cannot feel emotion was pretty shocking. The whole book makes you go, "Whoa."
#158 of 165 Old 06-30-2008, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremontmama View Post
Okay, so what's the consensus? Goodreads.com or Librarything.com? I want to know what one I should actually spend time typing on.....:

i like librarything much better!
#159 of 165 Old 06-30-2008, 02:22 AM - Thread Starter

#68 Charles Fort: The Man Who Invented the Supernatural
by Jim Steinmeyer

My review of Charles Fort can be found here.

#1 The Time Machine, #2 The Shining (Audio): Redux, #3 Curious George, #4 Animal Farm: A Fairy Story, #5 The Tragedy of Othello, Moor of Venice (Bantam Anthology), #6 A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four, #7 "A Study in Emerald", #8 The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead, #9 Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them, #10 Quidditch Through the Ages, #11 On the Day You Were Born, #12 The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark (Bantam Anthology), #13 The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare, #14 Rubyfruit Jungle, #15 John, Paul, George & Ben, #16 The Merchant of Venice (Bantam Anthology): Redux, #17 Dinotopia: A Land Apart from Time, #18 Trent's Last Case, #19 Cyrano de Bergerac: A Heroic Comedy in Five Acts, #20 Animal Dads, #21 Faggots, #22 A Day with Wilbur Robinson, #23 And Then There Were None, #24 Eating Between the Lines: The Supermarket Shopper's Guide to the Truth Behind Food Labels, #25 Henry IV, Part One, #26 Zami, A New Spelling of My Name: A Biomythography, #27 Twelfth Night, or What You Will (Bantam Anthology), #28 Murder Must Advertise, #29 Stagestruck: Theater, AIDS, and the Marketing of Gay America, #30 Angels in America, A Gay Fantasia on National Themes, Part One: Millennium Approaches, #31 The Tragedy of Macbeth (Bantam Anthology), #32 Stone of Destiny: The Story of Lady Macbeth, #33 Ian Pollack's Illustrated King Lear #34 Celtic Folklore Cooking, #35 Angels in America, A Gay Fantasia on National Themes, Part Two: Perestroika Revised Edition), #36 The Winter's Tale (Bantam Anthology), #37 Tolkien's Art: A Mythology for England, #38 The Body (Audio), #39 Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption (Audio), #40 Four Past Midnight: The Sun Dog (Audio), #41 The Tempest (Bantam Anthology): Redux, #42 World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War, #43 Science Verse, #44 Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich and Other Stories You’re Sure to Like Because They’re All About Monsters and Some of Them are Also About Food. You Like Food, Don’t You? Well, All Right Then, #45 Case Histories, #46 Time Bandit: Two Brothers, the Bering Sea, and One of the World's Deadliest Jobs, #47 Why Pandas Do Handstands and Other Curious Truths About Animals, #48 Rolling the R's, #49 Spooky ABC, #50 A is for Arches: A Utah Alphabet, #51 Raven: A Trickster Tale from the Pacific Northwest, #52 E is for Evergreen: A Washington Alphabet, #53 Beowulf (Longman Anthology), #54-60 The Harry Potter Series (Audio), #60 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Audio), #61 The Gingerbread Girl (Audio), #62 A Whale Hunt: Two Years on the Olympic Peninsula with the Makah and Their Canoe, #63 Heart-Shaped Box (Audio), #64 The Host, #65 Why War is Never a Good Idea, #66 Spicy Hot Colors: Colores Picantes, #67 To Everything There is a Season, #68 Charles Fort: The Man Who Invented the Supernatural

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#160 of 165 Old 06-30-2008, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter

#69 Stick: Great Moments in Art, History, Film, and More...
by Jeffrey Metzner

My review of Stick can be found here.

#1 The Time Machine, #2 The Shining (Audio): Redux, #3 Curious George, #4 Animal Farm: A Fairy Story, #5 The Tragedy of Othello, Moor of Venice (Bantam Anthology), #6 A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four, #7 "A Study in Emerald", #8 The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead, #9 Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them, #10 Quidditch Through the Ages, #11 On the Day You Were Born, #12 The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark (Bantam Anthology), #13 The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare, #14 Rubyfruit Jungle, #15 John, Paul, George & Ben, #16 The Merchant of Venice (Bantam Anthology): Redux, #17 Dinotopia: A Land Apart from Time, #18 Trent's Last Case, #19 Cyrano de Bergerac: A Heroic Comedy in Five Acts, #20 Animal Dads, #21 Faggots, #22 A Day with Wilbur Robinson, #23 And Then There Were None, #24 Eating Between the Lines: The Supermarket Shopper's Guide to the Truth Behind Food Labels, #25 Henry IV, Part One, #26 Zami, A New Spelling of My Name: A Biomythography, #27 Twelfth Night, or What You Will (Bantam Anthology), #28 Murder Must Advertise, #29 Stagestruck: Theater, AIDS, and the Marketing of Gay America, #30 Angels in America, A Gay Fantasia on National Themes, Part One: Millennium Approaches, #31 The Tragedy of Macbeth (Bantam Anthology), #32 Stone of Destiny: The Story of Lady Macbeth, #33 Ian Pollack's Illustrated King Lear #34 Celtic Folklore Cooking, #35 Angels in America, A Gay Fantasia on National Themes, Part Two: Perestroika Revised Edition), #36 The Winter's Tale (Bantam Anthology), #37 Tolkien's Art: A Mythology for England, #38 The Body (Audio), #39 Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption (Audio), #40 Four Past Midnight: The Sun Dog (Audio), #41 The Tempest (Bantam Anthology): Redux, #42 World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War, #43 Science Verse, #44 Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich and Other Stories You’re Sure to Like Because They’re All About Monsters and Some of Them are Also About Food. You Like Food, Don’t You? Well, All Right Then, #45 Case Histories, #46 Time Bandit: Two Brothers, the Bering Sea, and One of the World's Deadliest Jobs, #47 Why Pandas Do Handstands and Other Curious Truths About Animals, #48 Rolling the R's, #49 Spooky ABC, #50 A is for Arches: A Utah Alphabet, #51 Raven: A Trickster Tale from the Pacific Northwest, #52 E is for Evergreen: A Washington Alphabet, #53 Beowulf (Longman Anthology), #54-60 The Harry Potter Series (Audio), #60 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Audio), #61 The Gingerbread Girl (Audio), #62 A Whale Hunt: Two Years on the Olympic Peninsula with the Makah and Their Canoe, #63 Heart-Shaped Box (Audio), #64 The Host, #65 Why War is Never a Good Idea, #66 Spicy Hot Colors: Colores Picantes, #67 To Everything There is a Season, #68 Charles Fort: The Man Who Invented the Supernatural, #69 Stick: Great Moments in Art, History, Film, and More...

#161 of 165 Old 06-30-2008, 10:16 AM

10. Beautiful Boy by David Sheff

One father's true story of his son's descent into meth addiction. Sheff is a great writer who gives you a great glimpse into what his family went through/is going through with his oldests son's addiction. At times he went off in tangents but overall it was a good read (or listen, in my case as it was an audiobook).

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
#162 of 165 Old 06-30-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kofduke View Post
The Little Friend, Donna Tartt
I very much appreciated the writing in this book; however there were times when the story itself flowed very slow and I felt like the writing was taking over. I wonder if this was a literary device however - one of the characters is on speed, and I kept wondering if the author was trying to slow things down or speed them up to reflect this. The characterizations are rich and lovely, and Harriet is especially a well-developed character. I was also wholly unsatisfied by the ending. I preferred Tartt's first book, The Secret History.
I love her books! And yknow, I felt like the end left me hanging a little bit with this one too. I would be extremely happy if she just came out with another book though! Her writing is so rich! I enjoyed The Secret History too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snozzberry View Post
I haven't used GoodReads much myself, but I really like LibraryThing! Not sure if that helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogamonkeyjo View Post
i like librarything much better!
Thanks both of you! I think I will hit up Librarything then. And I liked they had a Zietgiest tab on their front page.
#163 of 165 Old 06-30-2008, 10:10 PM

#33 Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid - Bill Bryson

Quote:
Bill Bryson was born in the middle of the American century—1951—in the middle of the United States—Des Moines, Iowa—in the middle of the largest generation in American history—the baby boomers. As one of the best and funniest writers alive, he is perfectly positioned to mine his memories of a totally all-American childhood for 24-carat memoir gold...Bryson grew up with a rich fantasy life as a superhero.
Bryson is my absolute favorite in terms of funny books, and this one (while perhaps not as hysterical as A Walk in the Woods) is no exception. Bryson pokes fun at all aspects of growing up in the 50's, while making the reader feel nostalgic for the era at the same time.

#1-Garden of Beasts, #2-Passporter Guide to WDW, #3-Skylight Confessions, #4 - The Secret, #5 - The Kite Runner, #6 - Gone, #7 - Hidden Mickeys, #8 - Into Thin Air, #9 - Wolf Point, #10 - Ocean Breezes, #11 - Harmony Guide to Cables and Aran, #12 - East, #13 - Getting Started Knitting Socks, #14 - Keeping Faith, #15 - The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight, #16 The Big Nap, #17 - Grave of God's Daughter, #18 - Daddy's Girl, #19 - Behind the Scenes at the Museum, #20 - America, #21 - The Little Friend, #22 - Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid
#164 of 165 Old 07-01-2008, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kofduke View Post
#33 Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid - Bill Bryson
That sounds fun ... I'll have to see if the library has it.

#165 of 165 Old 07-01-2008, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter

July's thread is up and running: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...php?p=11593401 See you all there! :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page