movies with positive natural birth scenes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 06-08-2008, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i recently saw "parenthood" (with steve martin, diane wiest) for the first time in 15 or so years. i mostly enjoyed it (actually quite enjoyed it) but was so frustrated by this hospital birth scene nearly the end...bright lights, lots of hospital staff, and "thank goodnes sthe mother lived!"

it has given me a hunger to find movies that have positive birth scenes. perhaps even at home? some that i could offer to family and well meaning friends as examples taht medical birth is not the only way.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#2 of 23 Old 06-08-2008, 08:07 PM

These aren't movies but there are some on Utube. I got to them via links on this site. I wish I could help you with what you're asking. I'd be interested also.
#3 of 23 Old 06-08-2008, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Most movies and TV shows seem to make childbirth into a huge drama- either they rush to a hospital, or they're prevented from doing so by a natural disaster and everybody is petrified.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#4 of 23 Old 06-08-2008, 09:46 PM

There is a homebirth of twins in Are We Done Yet?

Angel , wife to Daniel :, mama to Astrid Lilith (11/01/06) and Leland Hunter (09/07/09)
#5 of 23 Old 06-08-2008, 11:41 PM

I'm sorry I don't have any natural birth scenes to recommend, but I have to say that I love when you find out that it is Dianne Wiest who has the baby at the end of that movie.

god, I love Parenthood. I should watch it again..thanks for the reminder
#6 of 23 Old 06-09-2008, 10:00 AM

Judging Amy has (I have heard, but haven't managed to see it yet) a really good home birth episode where a mama gives birth in a pool with Judge Amy's mother acting as the doula.

Dharma and Greg had a really cute home birth episode. Best line: Greg, "shouldn't we be heading to a hospital by now???" Abby, "why? she's not sick!"

But if you really want to see a good natural birth scene you should see the water birth scene of the Farscape movie. Both natural and fun.

"I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult." â E.B. White
#7 of 23 Old 06-09-2008, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Malcolm in the middle's mom had all of her kids at home, accidentally.

I remember a couple of years ago, a Nativity movie had Mary passed out and laying on the ground after the Birth of Jesus, with Joseph holding the baby. So strange. No one knows what a natural birth would be in that situation.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#8 of 23 Old 06-09-2008, 10:18 AM

Big Momma's House 2 has a homebirth in it.
#9 of 23 Old 06-09-2008, 05:39 PM

In "The Scarlet Letter" Demi Moore has a natural birth scene. With a midwife. But she's thoroughly mediocre, and that's not enough reason to see the movie, which is, A, not remotely faithful to the book and B, not great.

Well, I couldn't stand the book anyway when forced to read it in school. But ... Gary Oldman is just unspeakably and almost unbearably gorgeous in it, which *is* enough reason to see the movie. For seriously-hormonal-little-ol'-me, anyway.
#10 of 23 Old 06-11-2008, 04:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
I remember a couple of years ago, a Nativity movie had Mary passed out and laying on the ground after the Birth of Jesus, with Joseph holding the baby. So strange. No one knows what a natural birth would be in that situation.
#11 of 23 Old 06-11-2008, 04:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancindoula View Post
Judging Amy has (I have heard, but haven't managed to see it yet) a really good home birth episode where a mama gives birth in a pool with Judge Amy's mother acting as the doula.
I loved Judging Amy and watched it faithfully in syndication...this episode where Amy's clerk, Donna, has her baby in a pool in Amy's living room brings me to tears every single time.

Donna is estranged from her mother because her mother thinks she's, well, strange...and even though Donna invites her mom to be there for the birth and to be her coach, her mom leaves...and Donna is heartbroken.

Tyne Daly, Amy's mom, is a no-nonsense woman and she thinks Donna's a bit odd, too, but she is clearly just galled at that mother abandoning her daughter at such a moment, and she rolls up her sleeves and climbs into the pool with Donna and wraps her arms around her...and as the go to credits, the labor and delivery progresses.

I swear, I cry EVERY time I see that episode...and I've seen it a bunch.
#12 of 23 Old 07-04-2008, 03:53 AM

WEEDS season 2 (I think!) has an accidental UC (Halia's daughter/niece???) that turns out fine.

Also CHILDREN OF MEN is a good movie with an awesome natural birth in it. If you get the DVD, they show how they animated the newborn and stuff--very cool and realistic. Mom gives birth on her back, though. The thing that bothered me is that there's no breastfeeding which makes no sense in context (there hasn't been a baby born on Earth for 18 years or so).

Mama to two girls 12/05 and 8/09

#13 of 23 Old 07-07-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merpk View Post
In "The Scarlet Letter" Demi Moore has a natural birth scene. With a midwife. But she's thoroughly mediocre, and that's not enough reason to see the movie, which is, A, not remotely faithful to the book and B, not great.

Well, I couldn't stand the book anyway when forced to read it in school. But ... Gary Oldman is just unspeakably and almost unbearably gorgeous in it, which *is* enough reason to see the movie. For seriously-hormonal-little-ol'-me, anyway.
oh my god i agree with you.
my gary oldman lust increased ten fold after watching that awful movie.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#14 of 23 Old 07-07-2008, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
I don't remember that part, but i do remember how Joseph was holding the baby up and you could see his shadow and the birth nerd in me was wondering why there was no umbilical cord

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#15 of 23 Old 07-08-2008, 12:02 AM

Hmmm, I guess Apocalypto where a women gives birth while stuck in a well that is filling with rainwater while holding her toddler son on her shoulders as her husband is fighting his way back to her after their village was raided and he was capatured isn't the type of movie you had in mind. But man, at least it's one birth scene that didn't involve a rush to the hospital!

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
#16 of 23 Old 07-08-2008, 07:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Um, Milo and Otis? Puppies and kittens, but well, natural birth! (And surprisingly graphic for a kids' film, you actually see the critters being born. Pretty cool, although the moviemakers did perpetrate some rather icky cruelty to animals during the making of that movie, so you may not want to see it... still, good childhood memories, and the theme music, which was Schumann's 'Of Foreign Lands and People', ended up being my wedding walk-down-the-aisle tune! Processional, the recessional was Star Wars. Anyhoo).

The Children of Men birth was bloody. I mostly remember the blood-soaked mattress. Not exactly uplifting and choirs-of-angelsy, but yeah... bloody!

Hmm. In All the Rivers Run Sigrid Thorton's character gave birth on a riverbank at one point, I believe. But it was kinda emergency... in fact, I can't remember if the child even survived... so again, not really positive and uplifting.

Crikey! I'd never realised positive natural births were so scarce in film! I don't remember much about Jesus' birth in The Nativity Story, but the birth of John the Baptist was kinda cool. Elizabeth was squatting, holding a knotted rope suspended from the ceiling, I think, and there were relatives all crowding around, and Mary was watching from the doorway--it was kinda cool.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#17 of 23 Old 07-08-2008, 01:57 PM

it's been ages since I saw it, but I seem to remember a pretty good squatting-in-the-jungle-under-a-tree birth scene from Blue Lagoon. now, granted, Brooke Shields' character was understandably terrified, but it was all upright and active nevertheless. And she figured out breastfeeding all on her own.

"I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult." â E.B. White
#18 of 23 Old 07-08-2008, 03:05 PM

Antonia's Line has a good birth scene if I remember correctly. It's a beautiful woman positive, life, birth, death natural circle of life positive movie. Dutch subtitles I think?
http://www.amazon.com/Antonias-Line-...d=I7XN4UTSD6IX
#19 of 23 Old 07-08-2008, 03:49 PM

There's an amazing birth scene in Apocalypto, it's a natural unassisted birth, but it's not really very positive, the mother is in a very scary situation, which has nothing to do with her labor. But everything and everyone turns out okay.
#20 of 23 Old 07-08-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright-midnight View Post
There is a homebirth of twins in Are We Done Yet?
With a male midwife!

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#21 of 23 Old 07-08-2008, 06:52 PM

Expecting. It's a Canadian film about a homebirth. Colin Mochrie is in it from Whose Line is it Anyway. It's all improv and was filmed over a couple of days. The actors were given very little info about the scenes and just had to react to the events in character. It's a great film. Has the crazy med minded sister, an insecure maneating best friend, several potential fathers and others attending a crunchy free spirited woman's homebirth. She even gets into the birth pool for a bit.
#22 of 23 Old 07-22-2008, 06:08 PM

Children of Men has been mentioned a couple times. I immediately thought of that birth scene also. I especially loved when she asked about cutting the cord, and the male character said there was no hurry.

Mama to : Savannah (12/16/2002) & Bruen (3/19/2005). The H = Jason :
Baby #3 Drake (10/21/2009) :
#23 of 23 Old 07-22-2008, 07:54 PM

I don't remember exactly how it went in Clan of the Cave Bear, but it seemed pretty good in the book, at the time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page