The Happening - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-15-2008, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone seen this? I just want to know if it's gory or not. When the previews first came out they were pretty tame. Then they started showing ones where a girl had a sharp object to her throat and it cut away, or a guy laying down in front of a huge lawn mower and it cut to black. I can handle SOME things like that, but not over the top the entire movie. I assume there will be a "twist" or surprise or something, so PLEASE don't share what it is!!

Mama to : '05, '08, '10 and expecting our 3rd homebirth.jpgJanuary '13

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2008, 01:50 AM

Haven't seen it, don't often get to actually go to the movies, but they do make a point to advertise it here as M. Night Shyamalan's first R rated film. That could be code for more graphic violence, dunno. I would really like to see it, though.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:58 AM

I saw it last night and thought it was very gory, but maybe I'm just a wheenie. There were definatley a few times where I had to put my hands over my eyes. For example, that guy under the lawnmower, they actually show the mower going over his body and the all the blood and stuff squirting out...ewww. The movie hasn't gotten very good reviews but I thought it was very creepy and worth seeing.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

See I can handle it if it's one or two scenes and I can close my eyes, but if it's scene after scene it's just too much for me. Would you say it's like that?

Old 06-15-2008, 06:59 PM

Well the premise of the movie is that all of a sudden people start killing themselves in horrendous ways... so yes it happens many times throughout the movie.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:11 AM

Yikes, I didn't realize it was about suicide. I guess I'm glad that I haven't seen it!

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
Old 06-16-2008, 02:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by April411 View Post
The movie hasn't gotten very good reviews but I thought it was very creepy and worth seeing.
Most of M. Knight Shamalamadingdong's movie's don't get very good reviews. Still, most everyone I know ends up seeing them...what is that all about?
Old 06-16-2008, 04:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjanelles View Post
Most of M. Knight Shamalamadingdong's movie's don't get very good reviews. Still, most everyone I know ends up seeing them...what is that all about?
I love his movies.

Remember how the Tom Cruise/Nicole Kidman (Eyes Wide Shut) movies didn't get good ratings either? Sometimes I think the critics like movies if they follow formulas.

Sorry OP, I don't have any info for you.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I think people still remember Sixth Sense and are really hoping for another one of those.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:40 AM

The thing about the gory scenes in The Happening are that you have plenty of fair warning, so you can cover your eyes. It's not one of those movies that makes you jump out of your skin.
I really liked it and I hate violent movies.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:15 AM

I love his movies and was a bit bummed this one was suppose to be a bit gross. dd is getting into suspense type movies (she is almost 14) and we love to watch his movies together. I think they are just wacky enough and I enjoy the twists. We were all excited about seeing The Happening, but after hearing it was going to be pretty blood we opted out.

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Old 06-17-2008, 08:12 PM

it was sort of gory and sort of really awful.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

Old 06-18-2008, 01:08 AM

Quote:
You made me smile. Shamalamadingdong!

loveeyes.gif Mama to a lively DD (10/05) energy.gifand DS (06/23) babyboy.gif!

Old 06-19-2008, 01:28 PM

Made me smile, too. Isadora and I call Graeme Graemealamadingdong!

I read the bad reviews but I still want to see it, if only because they filmed part of it at a diner about a mile from my house!
Old 06-20-2008, 02:16 PM

I just saw it with dh..we both scratched our heads. IT WAS TERRIBLE!!!!

: Mama to ds (5) and dd (3) and .
Old 06-20-2008, 02:49 PM

Yeah, I think his movies get bad reviews not because critics don't like movies who don't follow formulas but because his movies are bad.

It's just my opinion, of course. I think he is great at setting a mood but he needs helping writing his films.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:25 PM

I think he relies on his OMG SHOCKING endings and doesnt spend enough time with the dialogue or the movie itself. Granted a movie with a good ending is important but only if the rest of it is good too.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

Old 06-21-2008, 05:16 AM

here's a hilarious critique of the film. Warning, though: SPOILERS!
Old 06-21-2008, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBoo View Post
here's a hilarious critique of the film. Warning, though: SPOILERS!
That was pretty funny! Yes, the movie was really bad. I used to be a big fan of Shyamalan. But he has been sucking for a while now. Unbreakable was probably my favorite of his. The Happening was such a disappointment. I mean, something is making people kill themselves? It sounds like a great scary movie plot - come on, that would be totally freaky! But he totally blew it! Plus, Mark Wahlberg's character is a totally lame-ass science teacher who apparently doesn't understand how evolution works (or how science works, for that matter.)
Old 06-23-2008, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Dh and I always call him that. I haven't seen the movie but it reminds me of a Steven King story I read and I can't remember the name of. I liked the one about the people living in a settlement and they can't leave. I really like the Sixth Sense.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:34 PM

I liked it lol But it kinda freaked me out when *spoiler* when they kill the Breslin kid and his other friend, poor kiddos.
I don't remember the ending, can some refresh my memory???
Old 06-30-2008, 02:20 AM

I liked it ok

I did cover my eyes several times though.

As for the critic, um...does he not remember his other movies?

IMO they do all require some suspension of disbelief. Watching his movies is a lot like reading a short story. They are rich in story telling but lacking in the believable department.

Unbreakable, The Village and Sixth Sense were *more* believable than this one??

Not all those who wander are lost 
Old 06-30-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by April411 View Post
I saw it last night and thought it was very gory, but maybe I'm just a wheenie. There were definatley a few times where I had to put my hands over my eyes. For example, that guy under the lawnmower, they actually show the mower going over his body and the all the blood and stuff squirting out...ewww. The movie hasn't gotten very good reviews but I thought it was very creepy and worth seeing.

I watched this film this evening, I don't recall there being a lot of blood during that scene. I don't think that there was any scene that caused me to cover my eyes, and I am usually very anti-gore
Old 06-30-2008, 08:16 PM

Anthony Lane's review in The New Yorker offers some interesting insights about why this movie is so hated. (The first half of the article discusses Wanted, BTW, but is marginally relevant as well.).

Quote:
Nevertheless, movies every bit as stumbling as “The Happening,” and far more savage, come out every month, and few are greeted with such contempt. Why should this be?

My suspicion is that Shyamalan, despite everything, still gets under people’s skin, and that their mockery is a way of saying it ain’t so. He is plainly obsessive—that is not just the source of his appeal but the prelude to his follies—and we are made uneasy and embarrassed by obsession.
And
Quote:
I have always taken Shyamalan to be a fearmonger, but the new film suggests that he may be, at heart, a morbidologist: he is trying to reinsert the fear of death into a moviegoing culture that would prefer to think of it as laughable, dismissible, or gross. People around me in the cinema were cackling at some of the suicides in “The Happening,” but self-annihilation, and the host of motives that can spur us toward it, is no joke. Those who punish a filmmaker for the crime of humorlessness are the same audiences who go tense and quiet on the rare occasions when, as Shyamalan did in “The Sixth Sense,” he makes sombre and controlled use of the same anxieties. “The Happening” is an awful letdown, yet it leaves you with something new, as a gently waving tree—that classical image of pastoral tranquillity—mutates into a harbinger of doom. It’s the first time I’ve seen that, and I guess it won’t be the last.

User Tag List