Go see Wall-E. - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-17-2008, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Potential spoilers....

Watched this last night and loved it.

It was definitely a love story first and foremost. It was so angsty that I wish it had ended a little bittersweet for the two lovers.

I don't think any "message" was heavy handed. I also think it was made clear that the obesity was a result of prolonged life in space combined with evolution/genetics and a bed ridden lifestyle.

I didn't see the humans portrayed as lazy or stupid. I did think that beyond the love story the biggest message was about the growing disconnect of of people from life which is shown with the growing garbage piles, the isolation from other people, not noticing the pool etc.

It actually reminded me a lot of a Seaquest episode where the crew goes forward in time to find a society that completely isolated themselves at home, hooked up to a virtual reality world. There were only two people left that were brought together in the episode but could barely stay away from the computers long enough to form any kind of human relationship.

I thought it was brilliant, so much emotion conveyed between the robots with so little dialogue. The human part of the movie wasn't even necessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2008, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
Depicting overweight people as stupid and lazy won't make children healthier. Of course, I want my kids to be healthy (which is why I encourage them to be active, limit TV, and feed them nutritious foods) but I also want them to be thoughtful and kind. Teaching them (or endorsing media that teaches them) that fat=stupid, or fat=lazy, does nothing but encourage them to think less of other people based on appearances.

There are threads in TAO pretty regularly about how MDC mamas who are over an "acceptable" weight are treated badly. IMO it's a serious social problem, and I'm not in favor of media images that reinforce the idea that it's ok to look down on people who are heavy.
I haven't seen the movie, but last weekend my husband took the 3yo and 6yo and they all LOVED it. They are still talking about it.

And the obesity part, from what I understand, this isn't about obese people in today's society. This is a society in the future, someone here said 700 years? And at the exponential rate technology is growing, a very very different world. For many different reasons. I don't think that the point is fat people are stupid and lazy. I definitely need to see it myself, but I have heard so much about it I can't imagine that was what they were going for at all. I think that imagery had to be taken in context of the whole future culture and society.

Anyway. My kids loved it soooo much. My husband even loved it, he thinks it was one of his favorite movies ever and all he could talk about was the wonderful messages. If my kids, especially the 3 yo could sit through it and enjoy it, and my 6 year old has so much to say about the robots and the garbage and he beams when he talks about it.

I can't imagine it isn't a good movie for kids.

I am embarassed claiming having not seen it, but as much as it has been talked about around here lately I feel as if I had.

I can't wait to see it, and usually I hate kids movies. :
Old 07-18-2008, 01:23 AM

I took my daughter to see it, and we loved it.

I don't think that the people were portrayed as lazy and stupid at all.n fact, I pretty much found it to be the opposite.

I'm surprised people think this was heavy handed or not for kids.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:56 PM

Saw it yesterday with my 6 y/o ds who loves anything remotely gadgety or elctronic. He totally got the movie, and loved it! There were some suspenseful scenes during which he closed his eyes--anything that resembled either robot in danger or getting hurt. I personally thought that the Eve robot shooting destuctively from her arm was way,way overdone in intensity, and scary. My very sensitive 9 y/o would have had a hard time with it. All in all the 1 1/2 hrs did not seem too long, the message was good, we loved the captain of the ship, and I am glad we went.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntNi View Post
We were already on our way out as I caught that on the screen. It just caused me to heave a big huff as I hair-flipped out. Two reasons we left: 1) 6-yo DD was bored and 2) my mom and I were appalled at how heavy-handed the message was, and didn't think a 6-yo needed to be subjected to the post-apocalyptic scenery. In our everyday lives, I'm constantly teaching her to live a "greener" life, but in a gentle, loving way. I mean, I wouldn't let her watch "An Inconvenient Truth" because I thought it would scare her. I found this much more disturbing.

It sounds like by not staying until the end, we missed the real message of the movie. But I'm not sorry we left - I didn't feel it was appropriate for children, nor enjoyable to me.
my sister & her dh just walked out this evening for these ABSOLUTE EXACT SAME reasons!! they said their 5 yr old ds was clearly fidgety, no, not at all because of boredom, but because it was TOOOOOOOO disturbing, tooo intense/ in your face on certain level.

Im reading all these praise filled posts and am trying to consider what we'll do, but I do think that if we have to wait so long into the movie for the payoff, and if, as you (and my ds & bil) seem to agree, the "in their faces" apocalyptic aspect is just not appropriate....I think we'll wait on this one.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:17 AM

We saw it. All our kids (9,8,4, 2) did great, of course the 2 year old was done about 20 minutes before the end. I don't think she bothered the other people in the theatre--she was pretty interested. Stood on the booster seat (on the floor) for a lot of the movie.

My kids all liked it. 4 year old attention flagged a few times, but he did fine. My older kids are discussing and analyzing this very much the rest of today. We'll hear about it for the next week in interesting ways.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:45 PM

We just saw this and LOVED it. I thought the animation--particularly in the first 15 minutes or so--was superb. The opening shots of the city of garbage from above were breathtaking. I did think the message was a little heavy-handed, and I always think Pixar's animation is least convincing when doing people, but overall I thought it was excellent. I LOVED how the credits at the end followed the history of art.

We didn't take dd (2). We don't have TV, and she's never seen a movie before, so I thought it highly unlikely she'd sit for 2 hours and just watch something. I did think that the movie was a little intense, though--heck it was a little intense for me! I think for some young kids, it could be scary.
Warning :: Spoiler Ahead! Highlight to read message!
For instance, when Wall-E is crushed by the machinery on the Axiom; when Eve replaced his parts, and he's functional, but Eve can't get him to be homself.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:21 PM

We enjoyed it. My dd, 6, is pretty sensitive, but did not stress with the material. All the kids laughed at the funny parts, said 'awww' at the touching parts, and had interesting conversations about the plot after.

I did initially have an 'eek' moment when the large folks appeared in the hover chairs, because I was concerned about cheap fat jokes, but then I thought it was very well-done. As others have said, it was made clear that over time the populace had been lulled into increasing ignorance and powerlessness, not that they were in fact stupid or lazy. In fact, I thought it was quite empowering - instead of seeing the people physically struggling during the sequence with the autopilot as laughable or foolish, the viewer sees them as brave and admirable. And in the sequence during the credits, you see the graphics of them working hard to re-green the earth and build new civilizations (with their bodies continuing to retain the same silhouette, as opposed to transforming into idealized thin bodies).

I didn't think it was all that bleak either. Actually, I thought it was somewhat Disneyfied with the conceit of the 700 year cruise during which humanity survives, the lovable robots, and the ability to return to earth for a do-over. Now, if I really wanted to go all apocalyptic, everyone would have just died or mutated or something...but this was still a happy Disney flick.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:52 PM

I took both kids to see it and we all loved it! Great message. I loved that DD walked away from it talking about important issues. And DS is still talking about "Wah-eee"
Old 07-24-2008, 11:18 AM

The reviews I've seen have been great. Its all booked up at our local fleapit!
Old 07-30-2008, 01:56 AM

During about the first 30 min. of this movie I said to DH- "This is the worst movie EVER." But that changed to- "This is the BEST movie ever." I recommend you go and watch it again, and wait till the end. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

I lost track of who posted this first, but my thoughts were just the opposite. I thought the first 15-20 minutes were great, but that it went downhill from the time Wall-E and Eve left earth and were on the ship.

The idea that people could become so sedentary that they could barely walk was depressing beyond words.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verity View Post
[I]
I lost track of who posted this first, but my thoughts were just the opposite. I thought the first 15-20 minutes were great, but I that it went downhill from the time Wall-E and Eve left earth and were on the ship.
Me too! It had bright spots all the way through, but I liked the first twenty minutes or so the best.

Totally worth seeing, in any case.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:09 PM

I have to add that my 10-year-old daughter really liked it and has already asked if we can buy it when it comes out on DVD. My 14-year-old son and 7-year-old daughter didn't seem as impressed.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:20 PM

I found this movie to be disturbing and not at all enjoyable. The obese issue was one part that really bothered me--but overall it just was not a fun movie to watch. My kid didn't like it either, and my little one was very bored by it.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:10 PM

Haven't read the whole thread but,

I was bothered that the robots ended up being "gendered" in order to make people comfortable with the romance. They're robots. They aren't gendered. But they made EVE be female in all these ways. And WALL-E be male. Why? For viewers comfort, which is to say if gender wasn't so clear, viewers are expected to be unsympathetic, uncomfortable.

I was also bothered that he was so attached to her when she was so violent and destructive. It felt weird to me that he liked her when she kept shooting at things and exploding anything that moved. I know it was the extreme loneliness, but still a strange message.

The humans left all sorts of questions. Especially cause we only saw babies and then adults. Not many children. Not clear how reproduction was actually happening among the people not leaving chairs. Don't want to know.

All in all, creepy and hopeless. The "happy" ending was not very happy really. It seemed to stretch credibility that they could survive on the destroyed planet or had enough knowledge, information or raw materials to actually sustain agriculture. And where were all the other people. The non-Americans. Entire nations? I know it was a big ship with token racial diversity but there really wasn't global representation or anything. And animals? Any animals? How is the cycle going to start without bee? And don't we need squirrels? I mean, living things are interdependent right?

Strange, offputting, slowmoving and depressing movie. I was happy when it was over.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:08 PM

I was really excited to see Wall-E and waited on pins and needles till it came to our drive-in.

And then I was really disappointed.

It had a good idea, but it was boring and I agree with most of Astoria's comments. The kids liked it though. Not a movie that I need to see again.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:50 AM

I, too, went to see this movie (alone), and I, too, was sooo excited to see it but ultimately disappointed by a lot.

The first part dramatically and brilliantly set up the audience to see just how bad earth was - the utter lack of life in the US was horrible for me. But that kind of painful reality is what really drew me in to the movie itself. I was beginning to identify with the perspective of the moviemakers, and I thought that maybe the movie would have some really useful and honest commentary on all that. And the potential for despair at the lone machine left running, Wall-E, handling everyone's garbage alone, forever, was profound.

I have some criticisms, however:
The love story really turned me off. I was also disappointed that the robots had to be gendered for people to like them/not feel disturbed by their "relationship". And in fact, as the movie progressed and it became obvious that it was actually a love story, I hated that direction.

And the human portrayals and characters were full of problems related to believability in plot and character. And the animals - how could they plant in the soil? So many plot flaws it made me crazy.

But my biggest disappointment was at the very end of the film, during the credits, when we see the humans rebuilding "civilization". For me, that was the worst. By rebuilding, they were all set up to reproduce the same values and culture that started civilization on the path to the craziness we're in now - the culture and lifestyles which created the heavily polluted, unlivable earth by killing the wild earth itself and the wild humans in themselves (a bit of a metaphor).

I loved how a little bit of earth, represented by Wall-E, was able to disrupt the perfect, mechanized predictability of the Axion. However, I think there is also another message piggy-backing on all of that, that of technology saving us from ourselves and the killing of the planet. This is a lie, but we all kind of believe it. Or rather, we love movies that make us think that maybe it's true. But it isn't, and super-cool robots and technology will not save the earth or the animals or us.

Mostly, I think the glorification of heterosexual romance and love is the main reason I won't recommend it for my girls. For me, this theme is rampant in Disney movies (and other kid-friendly movies) and not the real thing that changes the world - yes, we need to love each other, no matter the gender of our romantic partners - but why on earth does hetero romance need any more miracles pinned to it? It's just over the top for me.

Real change is needed on our earth right now, but robots falling in love will not save us from dying on a dead planet. I guess this is such a serious topic for me I can't stomach having it watered down to what this movie does, and then have so many people who have seen it feel like it's a strong environmental message movie.

But the robot animation and all the images from earth were spectacular. Just amazing.

I would definitely check this out from the library when it is available on dvd.

rural mama to DD1 DD2
unschooling, non-vaxing, writing, gardening, co-sleeping, critter-loving family :
Old 08-01-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skim View Post
I have some criticisms, however:
The love story really turned me off. I was also disappointed that the robots had to be gendered for people to like them/not feel disturbed by their "relationship".
I think the robots are gendered as a way to draw in a large segment of the audience. I don't think it was about not disturbing the audience; I think it was done to elicit feelings that many people experience.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verity View Post
I think the robots are gendered as a way to draw in a large segment of the audience. I don't think it was about not disturbing the audience; I think it was done to elicit feelings that many people experience.
Right, I'm with you there. I agree. But then, the characters are made to be more accessible so that people elicit the feelings intended by the film makers and screenwriters. Which is? Just guessing here - Love between the servants of a society (after all, the robots do serve human purposes) will help the oppressors see the light and start afresh? That it makes servitude more palatable? That it's so ironic that machines teach humans how to love, and that love can start new civilizations of people? Isn't that a version of technology will ultimately save us from ourselves? I don't know.

rural mama to DD1 DD2
unschooling, non-vaxing, writing, gardening, co-sleeping, critter-loving family :
Old 08-03-2008, 01:46 AM

Right on, Skim. The earth and the problems that have been handed to it by the human species really don't need a Disney slant to them. Disney has made some spectacular movies. However, they always have a main stream status quo message within their films. They are a powerful company and control what many millions of children see around the world. This is the reason for the way the movie is structured. The show must go on. Business as usual. We have this major message to show. Look how bad it could get, but hey wait, everything will just start over the way it was. Don't change your ways. This view is what keeps the power structure going.

"To lose the sense of sacredness of the world is a mortal loss. To injure our world by excesses of greed and ingenuity is to endanger our own sacredness."    Ursula K. Le Guin

User Tag List