July 2008 Book Challenge - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 196 Old 07-09-2008, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
#21 Remember Me by Sophie Kinsella
This was a cute quick romantic comedy. I like this writer because she is British and has a real "British style" of writing. Its about this poor working girl who wake up in the hospital with amnesia, missing 3 years of her life in which she has been married, rocketed up in her career and is having an affair. Not a deep read by any means but fun to escape into.
#62 of 196 Old 07-09-2008, 01:14 PM

"The Patron Saint of Butterflies" by Cecilia Galante

This was about two girls who grew up in a religious commune where they are being physically abused and punished. It was not as good as the reviews I read made it out to be - I probably wouldn't have finished it if it was a library book but since I put out the money - I felt obligated.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#63 of 196 Old 07-09-2008, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe View Post
I probably wouldn't have finished it if it was a library book but since I put out the money - I felt obligated.
Don't you just hate that? I'll usually get a new book from the library, read it, and then if I like it, shell out the cash for it.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#64 of 196 Old 07-09-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufomander View Post
bummer, I went to put it on hold and remembered that I'm at my hold limit at the library. we're not normal, you know.
Guess I'll have to put on my list of "books to put on hold after I pick up the holds that are waiting" list. (i'm not joking)
I hear ya sister! That library hold list can be overwhelming sometimes. My library has a book list you can use to keep track of books you are interested in, but it has been having issues of losing the data recently, so I'm afraid to use it! My high tech system is to jot down books I want to read on a piece of paper and slip them into a file folder at my desk.

Quote:
Ooh, I loved Garden Spells, too. I'll have to remember that this one is out.....
I put these on my list, they sound interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
Looking at the GRE dates vs. the deadline dates for applications, I won't need to take the GRE until Sept/Oct.

As for the program, I am wanting my MA in Literature with the intention of going on to get my PhD in Literature with an emphasis/focus on Contemporary American Lit and Literary Critical Theory ... with the end result, hopefully, of obtaining a professorship in an English Department somewhere (preferably on the west coast).
Good luck! Cant wait to hear how it turns out

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMama View Post
Just finished The Audacity of Hope a few days ago. I had been slogging through it for awhile, not because I didn't find it engaging or interesting (I did) but I have gotten into this bad habit lately of reading more than one thing at a time. It wouldn't be so bad if I just had two books I was reading at once, but now it seems to be three or four. I need to stop this bad habit.

Anyway, I did like The Audacity. I am a huge Obama supporter so no surprise there. In some ways it was very much a book on politics, history, economics, and sociology as it pertains to America, but at least for me, I feel like I really came away with a sense of who he is, where he is coming from, and what he stands for. (For people who "don't know who he is" -- they should read this!) What I was most struck by is his ability to see things (especially anything controversial) from different points of views and angles, at least that is very much how he portrayed himself in his book. We'll see how that plays out when he is POTUS.
I have been meaning to read his books, but the line at the library is sooooooooo long! I can't wait until he is POTUS either :

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe View Post
"The Patron Saint of Butterflies" by Cecilia Galante

This was about two girls who grew up in a religious commune where they are being physically abused and punished. It was not as good as the reviews I read made it out to be - I probably wouldn't have finished it if it was a library book but since I put out the money - I felt obligated.
The title sounds interesting, sorry it was a disappointment. I hate buying a book that you end up not liking, one of the reasons I quit buying fiction. I try it out at the library too, then *maybe* buy if I adore it. Our house is tiny, so I love having the library do all the book storage for me

#28 Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell

Non-fiction book about Sarah's travels around the US visiting Presidential memorials, etc and places related to Presidential assassinations and attempts. She has had segments on NPR and is pretty funny. I like to imagine I am hearing her voice read the words in her book to me, b/c her voice is so unique. It's a pretty enjoyable if odd book.

My goal for this year is 75 books, I think I better get cracking!
#65 of 196 Old 07-09-2008, 04:28 PM

26. First You Shave Your Head - Geri Larkin
I liked this book, but I like others by Larkin more (The Chocolate Cake Sutra for example). This centered around her month-long pilgrimage to Korea with her zen master and his newly ordained successor, a woman. It was a grueling tale of "just this" mind and the stripping down of self that can occur on the road with no control of your schedule or surroundings. I found the history of korean zen a little dry, despite rock-n-roll warrior monk stories...they just didn't grab me. My favorite parts were the unbelievably touching acts of generosity by others they met on the road - monks, nuns, staff at various business/monasteries. I will keep with me the bit about a woman running up and flagging down their bus as they were leaving to give them all glasses of orange juice for their trip - in a place high in the mountains where most things have to be carried in.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#66 of 196 Old 07-09-2008, 08:17 PM

#87 Listening Is an Act of Love: A Celebration of American Life from the StoryCorps Project by Dave Isay
What an interesting book. Some of you may have listened to StoryCorps interviews on NPR. This was my first experience with them and it was fascinating.
www.storycorps.net
#67 of 196 Old 07-10-2008, 12:15 AM

61. Christ the Lord: Road to Cana by Anne Rice

This one was just okay. I thought the first book was so much better. This one had too much going on at the beginning and you have to wait until the very end to see how it all ties in.
#68 of 196 Old 07-10-2008, 12:09 PM

Number9Dream - David Mitchell

I couldn't get into this novel at first, but I'm glad I stuck with it, because I really enjoyed it overall. It was recommended to me because I'm such a huge Murakami fan, and I can see why those who like Murakami would enjoy this book, too.

I usually like to summarize the books here, but I'm going to cheat a bit and just quote Amazon.
Quote:
David Mitchell's second novel, Number9Dream, tells the story of Eiji Miyake, a young man negotiating a hypermodern and dangerous Tokyo to meet for the first time his secretive and powerful father. Naïve and fresh from the Japanese countryside, Eiji encounters every obstacle imaginable in his quest, from his father's--and in-laws'--reluctance for the encounter to occur (Eiji is the bastard son) to fiery entanglements with yakuza (the Japanese mafia) to the overwhelming size and anonymity of Tokyo itself.
#69 of 196 Old 07-10-2008, 12:13 PM

Bloodsucking Fiends - Christopher Moore

I've read a few other Christopher Moore books, and I always find them to be entertaining. This novel, a love story between a young vampire and a younger would-be writer, is no exception. It was light and fun.
#70 of 196 Old 07-10-2008, 12:59 PM

I love Summer. Amazingly, I have tons more time to read.

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld
I gave this four out of five stars on Goodreads.com

Tally is a 15 year old whose 16th birthday will bring a life-changing operation that will make her beautiful. For the children in Tally's world, this operation marks entry into a world where everyone and everything is pretty.

On the fringe, there are people who believe this pretty-making procedure does more than make you attractive and happy. It makes you pliable and docile. Tally must choose between being ugly forever or losing her mind.

Pretties by Scott Westerfeld
I gave this four out of five stars on Goodreads.com (3.5 is more accurate)

This sequel to Westerfeld's "Uglies" takes us inside New Pretty Town where everyone has had the pretty-making operation and every day is a celebration. We get a good look at what it means to be pretty in this new world. What is gained and lost when we strive only to be beautiful to look at.

You might not want to read the spoiler if you plan to read Uglies.
Warning :: Spoiler Ahead! Highlight to read message!
Good, solid sequel to a book I enjoyed very much. I liked this just a little less because I was slightly disappointed over the inevitability of Tally's transformation and was confused why she was changed rather than disposed of. Also, this series examines free will and in a world where free will is managed, molded and all but destroyed, it's confusing when a character is presented with a choice.

I plan to read the rest of this series. I've started Specials and was stoked to see there's a fourth book, Extras.

I took a break because I got The Preservationist by David Maine through interlibrary loan and wanted to get that read so I can return it on time. So far, it's totally worth paying to get from another library.
#71 of 196 Old 07-10-2008, 02:41 PM

I read Uglies a couple of years ago...it kind of bummed me out to the point that I didn't want to read the others.

#35: Drawn to the Rhythm, by Sara Hall

A woman in a verbally abusive marriage sees a sculler on the river one day, and it changes her life. She takes a rowing class, learns to scull (row a single shell - a boat about 10 inches wide) and eventually wins quite a bit of hardware at regattas.

I have seen this book around, and thought about reading it. Then I saw it at the library book sale for 33 cents and figured, why not? I'm not sorry. It was an amazing book. I loved reading about her love for rowing, her improvements, and the resulting changes in her self-concept and self-respect. I was near tears in many places, some of which did not seem particularly emotional!

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#72 of 196 Old 07-10-2008, 10:19 PM

#6. Digging to America by Anne Tyler

The story of two families who meet at the airport while picking up their adoptive daughters from Korea. One family is Iranian, the other is "typical" caucasian American. The families stay in touch throughout the years. There is also a deeper question of what makes you American. I never ended up liking any of the characters. Some weren't fleshed out enough and others were too overbearing.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
#73 of 196 Old 07-11-2008, 09:56 AM

So I put my library holds on vacation hold yesterday. I've got the DVD of The Golden Compass waiting for me, and Stephen Carter's latest, Palace Council is on its way, but I think other than that they'll all be on hold until the 28th. DH and I leave in the morning for Wichita for nearly 20 hours of intense therapy for couples at a crisis point.: It will be the first time DD has ever been away from both of us at the same time (and I've only spent one night away from her, about 2-3 months ago). We'll be back from Kansas Wednesday night and then Friday we start housesitting a fair bit away from our branch library. So I thought this would be a good time to put my stuff on hold and catch up with what I currently have out -- maybe I'll even get to read some of the stuff we own that's sitting by the bed....okay, that's probably not realistic.

So yeah. Right now I'm reading Case Histories and enjoying it. It was my book club book for last month -- it's rare for me to not actually read the book before the meeting, but I'm glad I'm reading it anyway.
#74 of 196 Old 07-11-2008, 12:18 PM

chellemarie- When you get done with the preservationist we should start a thread. I really liked that book! I like the daughter-in-laws roles the best i think.
#75 of 196 Old 07-11-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
DH and I leave in the morning for Wichita for nearly 20 hours of intense therapy for couples at a crisis point.: It will be the first time DD has ever been away from both of us at the same time (and I've only spent one night away from her, about 2-3 months ago).

I hope it goes well for you all.

(1-04) (8-09)
#76 of 196 Old 07-11-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
So I put my library holds on vacation hold yesterday. I've got the DVD of The Golden Compass waiting for me, and Stephen Carter's latest, Palace Council is on its way, but I think other than that they'll all be on hold until the 28th. DH and I leave in the morning for Wichita for nearly 20 hours of intense therapy for couples at a crisis point.: It will be the first time DD has ever been away from both of us at the same time (and I've only spent one night away from her, about 2-3 months ago). We'll be back from Kansas Wednesday night and then Friday we start housesitting a fair bit away from our branch library. So I thought this would be a good time to put my stuff on hold and catch up with what I currently have out -- maybe I'll even get to read some of the stuff we own that's sitting by the bed....okay, that's probably not realistic.

So yeah. Right now I'm reading Case Histories and enjoying it. It was my book club book for last month -- it's rare for me to not actually read the book before the meeting, but I'm glad I'm reading it anyway.

Oh man, good luck with everything!

And I have to comment, I have Case Histories on the bedside table too, cant wait to start it. And the pile of books I own or have borrowed from friends also next to my bed, like you, I hope to get to it someday, but the library books always overwhelm me.

Have a great weekend everyone! Happy reading!
:
#77 of 196 Old 07-11-2008, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
DH and I leave in the morning for Wichita for nearly 20 hours of intense therapy for couples at a crisis point.: It will be the first time DD has ever been away from both of us at the same time (and I've only spent one night away from her, about 2-3 months ago).
::

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbyquilts View Post
chellemarie- When you get done with the preservationist we should start a thread. I really liked that book! I like the daughter-in-laws roles the best i think.
I just picked up The Preservationist yesterday. Maybe I'll actually get to it this month

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#78 of 196 Old 07-12-2008, 12:58 PM

The Preservationist by David Maine (four out of five stars on Goodreads.com)

A fictional account of the story of Noah and his ark. So good I don't know where to start. Noah's wife, their three sons and their wives all have a voice in this story about surviving the end of the world.

Growing up, I only ever thought of the ark as a happy boat with cartoony animals and a pretty rainbow over the top. I'm kind of disappointed this story wasn't ever presented to me in Maine's nitty-gritty "that's a lot of poop in a boat!" kind of way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
I just picked up The Preservationist yesterday. Maybe I'll actually get to it this month
I consider myself a slow reader and this was a fast read for me. It's very good. Reeeeeeeeeead it!

Bufomander: I'm a little late but good luck.
#79 of 196 Old 07-12-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbyquilts View Post
The young wives' stories were the most important. There was an expectation of acceptance of God's will from the sons of Noah, but the girls were from different places and backgrounds entirely. Their endurance of such an unbelievable task and sacrifice is huge. They married into this mess. How many of us would go that far for a crazy father-in law? "Surrrrrrre, I'll go fetch you your elephants. Of COURSE I'll come back!"

I'm going to my library today to request Fallen by Maine.
#80 of 196 Old 07-12-2008, 01:15 PM

62. The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall
This was really cute. Loved that Batty.
#81 of 196 Old 07-12-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellemarie View Post
I took a break because I got The Preservationist by David Maine through interlibrary loan and wanted to get that read so I can return it on time. So far, it's totally worth paying to get from another library.
Dang, you have to pay for interlibrary loans? Bummer!

Bufomander, I hope everything went well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliki_kila View Post
62. The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall
This was really cute. Loved that Batty.
I loved that one too!

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#82 of 196 Old 07-12-2008, 06:22 PM

"All of a Kind Family" by Sydney Taylor

This was for our mother-daughter book club. Sweet book about poor, Jewish family with 5 daughters living in NY during the early 1900's. Sort of Little Womenish but way milder and younger.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#83 of 196 Old 07-12-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snozzberry View Post
Dang, you have to pay for interlibrary loans? Bummer!
It is kind of a bummer. We pay postage for books borrowed from libraries inside our consortium, and postage plus an additional $2.50 for libraries outside. Typical postage is around $2.30.

The library will buy almost anything requested, though. That's a good thing since our closest bookstore is 45 minutes away. A "big name" bookstore is more than an hour away. It's frustrating.
#84 of 196 Old 07-12-2008, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
13. Baker's Apprentice by Judith Ryan Hendricks. I'm almost done with it. So far I would describe it as charming and romantic. I liked her earlier books, especially Isabel's Daughter, so I had to read this. Baker's Apprentice is a sequel to her earlier story, Bread Alone.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#85 of 196 Old 07-13-2008, 03:20 PM

"A Great and Terrible Beauty" by Libba Bray

The first part of a trilogy (it has been discussed before so I will briefly summarize). Teen girl's mother is murdered in India. She is sent to boarding school where she soon discovers she has magical abilities.

I enjoyed it much more than my description sounds. It is a teen fiction book but I already placed a hold for the next one.

(1-04) (8-09)
#86 of 196 Old 07-13-2008, 04:34 PM

"A Version of the Truth" by Jenneifer Kaufman and Karen Mack

About a women who tries to reinvent herself after her husband dies - lies on her resume and gets a job at a university. Light and fun.

#87 of 196 Old 07-13-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenifer76 View Post
"A Great and Terrible Beauty" by Libba Bray

Part of a trilogy that has been discussed before. Teen girl's mother is murdered in India. She is sent to boarding school where she soon discovers she has magical abilities. I enjoyed it much more than my description sounds. I already placed a hold for the next one.
Sounds intriguing. Just to clarify, this one is the first in the trilogy, right?

Amazing Mama Birth Services
CD(DONA) and Birthing From Within Mentor and Birth Doula
#88 of 196 Old 07-13-2008, 06:43 PM

Yes, it was sorry. I wrote the description right before I took a nap so I was rushing.

(1-04) (8-09)
#89 of 196 Old 07-14-2008, 01:12 AM

63. The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue

This is about a young boy kidnapped by hobgobblins. He becomes one of the hobgobblins and lives in the forest with them and slowly forgets his true identity. He is replaced by a changeling and the book goes back and forth, following the kidnapped boy and the changeling who replaced him.

Anyone who enjoyed The Book of Lost Things would like this one.
#90 of 196 Old 07-14-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliki_kila View Post
63. The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue

This is about a young boy kidnapped by hobgobblins. He becomes one of the hobgobblins and lives in the forest with them and slowly forgets his true identity. He is replaced by a changeling and the book goes back and forth, following the kidnapped boy and the changeling who replaced him.

Anyone who enjoyed The Book of Lost Things would like this one.
I loved The Book of Lost Things and thought I had this on my to-read list - thanks for the reminder!

#29 A Great and Terrible Beauty (audio) – Interesting enough story but I thought the author was a little too verbose at times, like she was trying to hard. I thought the actor reading did a great job with the voices.

#30 The Fluoride Deception – This book isn’t exactly what I was expecting as it was mostly about fluoride in industry and how the dangers have been covered up for so long. It definitely did help me with my decision of whether or not to let my children use fluoridated toothpaste etc. Not worth the risk, imo.

Yippee! I met my goal. Thirty may not seem like a lot to some of you, but it is phenomenal for me. When I set the goal, I was dubious that I could do it, and now here it is only July and I did it! Whew, now the pressure is off and I can read Dragonfly in Amber. :LOL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page