July 2008 Book Challenge - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 196 Old 07-30-2008, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
#97 Innocent Traitor: A Novel of Lady Jane Grey by Alison Weir

Historical fiction about the British royalty a la Philippa Gregory (apologies to the author who is probably tired of that comparison). Viewpoint shifts throughout the book. I liked it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 196 Old 07-30-2008, 10:52 AM

The Pleasing Hour by Lily King

I think someone else read this book which is where I first heard of it. I don't even think I could do justice to describe the many subplots within the book. Basic premise is an young American woman goes to France to work as nanny. It wasn't a long book but there was alot packed into it.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
#183 of 196 Old 07-30-2008, 10:22 PM

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

I liked it. It was definitely different than what I normally seem to read so I appreciated the originality. I never was really that attached to any of the characters but I did appreciate the plot and definitely wanted to keep reading.

Amazing Mama Birth Services
CD(DONA) and Birthing From Within Mentor and Birth Doula
#184 of 196 Old 07-31-2008, 01:23 AM

[QUOTE=kaliki_kila;11602100]
I'm currently reading The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs. It's pretty amusing. I hope he actually gets something meaningful out of the experiment, though. QUOTE]

My dh mentioned this book in his sermon last week. My kids were duking it out over a Pokemon book, so I missed most of that section. Oh well! It sounded interesting, though.
#185 of 196 Old 07-31-2008, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebethmom View Post

My dh mentioned this book in his sermon last week. My kids were duking it out over a Pokemon book, so I missed most of that section. Oh well! It sounded interesting, though.
I finally finished it and here is my review.
#186 of 196 Old 07-31-2008, 10:55 AM

The Cradle Robbers (A Mommy Track Mystery) by Ayelet Waldman

Always an entertaining read in this mystery series.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
#187 of 196 Old 07-31-2008, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

#81 Your Money or Your Life: Transforming Your Relationship with Money and Achieving Financial Independence
by Joe Dominguez and Vicki Robin

My review of Your Money or Your Life can be found HERE.

#1 The Time Machine, #2 The Shining (Audio): Redux, #3 Curious George, #4 Animal Farm: A Fairy Story, #5 The Tragedy of Othello, Moor of Venice (Bantam Anthology), #6 A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four, #7 "A Study in Emerald", #8 The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead, #9 Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them, #10 Quidditch Through the Ages, #11 On the Day You Were Born, #12 The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark (Bantam Anthology), #13 The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare, #14 Rubyfruit Jungle, #15 John, Paul, George & Ben, #16 The Merchant of Venice (Bantam Anthology): Redux, #17 Dinotopia: A Land Apart from Time, #18 Trent's Last Case, #19 Cyrano de Bergerac: A Heroic Comedy in Five Acts, #20 Animal Dads, #21 Faggots, #22 A Day with Wilbur Robinson, #23 And Then There Were None, #24 Eating Between the Lines: The Supermarket Shopper's Guide to the Truth Behind Food Labels, #25 Henry IV, Part One, #26 Zami, A New Spelling of My Name: A Biomythography, #27 Twelfth Night, or What You Will (Bantam Anthology), #28 Murder Must Advertise, #29 Stagestruck: Theater, AIDS, and the Marketing of Gay America, #30 Angels in America, A Gay Fantasia on National Themes, Part One: Millennium Approaches, #31 The Tragedy of Macbeth (Bantam Anthology), #32 Stone of Destiny: The Story of Lady Macbeth, #33 Ian Pollack's Illustrated King Lear #34 Celtic Folklore Cooking, #35 Angels in America, A Gay Fantasia on National Themes, Part Two: Perestroika Revised Edition), #36 The Winter's Tale (Bantam Anthology), #37 Tolkien's Art: A Mythology for England, #38 The Body (Audio), #39 Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption (Audio), #40 Four Past Midnight: The Sun Dog (Audio), #41 The Tempest (Bantam Anthology): Redux, #42 World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War, #43 Science Verse, #44 Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich and Other Stories You’re Sure to Like Because They’re All About Monsters and Some of Them are Also About Food. You Like Food, Don’t You? Well, All Right Then, #45 Case Histories, #46 Time Bandit: Two Brothers, the Bering Sea, and One of the World's Deadliest Jobs, #47 Why Pandas Do Handstands and Other Curious Truths About Animals, #48 Rolling the R's, #49 Spooky ABC, #50 A is for Arches: A Utah Alphabet, #51 Raven: A Trickster Tale from the Pacific Northwest, #52 E is for Evergreen: A Washington Alphabet, #53 Beowulf (Longman Anthology), #54-60 The Harry Potter Series (Audio), #60 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Audio), #61 The Gingerbread Girl (Audio), #62 A Whale Hunt: Two Years on the Olympic Peninsula with the Makah and Their Canoe, #63 Heart-Shaped Box (Audio), #64 The Host, #65 Why War is Never a Good Idea, #66 Spicy Hot Colors: Colores Picantes, #67 To Everything There is a Season, #68 Charles Fort: The Man Who Invented the Supernatural, #69 Stick: Great Moments in Art, History, Film, and More..., #70 America: A Patriotic Primer, #71 A is for America: An American Alphabet, #72 Just How Stupid Are We?: The TRUTH About the American Voter, #73 Teaching Montessori in the Home: The Pre-School Years, #74 S is for Shamrock: An Ireland Alphabet, #75 The Brief History of the Dead, #76 The Ruins, #77 Marvel 1602, #78 The World That Made New Orleans: From Spanish Silver to Congo Square, #79 The Preservationist, #80 Duma Key, #81 Your Money or Your Life: Transforming Your Relationship with Money and Achieving Financial Independence

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#188 of 196 Old 07-31-2008, 05:44 PM

#98 Rumors by Anna Godbersen
The second in the Luxe series. Set largely in Manhattan in 1899. I liked it and the last 100 pages or so were really engrossing -- you are pretty sure one bad thing is going to happen, but you (or at least I) thought the other was going to be okay.... young adult fiction.
#189 of 196 Old 08-01-2008, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter

#82 The Woods Are Dark: Restored and Uncut
by Richard Laymon with Kelly Laymon

My review of The Woods Are Dark can be found HERE.

#1 The Time Machine, #2 The Shining (Audio): Redux, #3 Curious George, #4 Animal Farm: A Fairy Story, #5 The Tragedy of Othello, Moor of Venice (Bantam Anthology), #6 A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four, #7 "A Study in Emerald", #8 The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead, #9 Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them, #10 Quidditch Through the Ages, #11 On the Day You Were Born, #12 The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark (Bantam Anthology), #13 The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare, #14 Rubyfruit Jungle, #15 John, Paul, George & Ben, #16 The Merchant of Venice (Bantam Anthology): Redux, #17 Dinotopia: A Land Apart from Time, #18 Trent's Last Case, #19 Cyrano de Bergerac: A Heroic Comedy in Five Acts, #20 Animal Dads, #21 Faggots, #22 A Day with Wilbur Robinson, #23 And Then There Were None, #24 Eating Between the Lines: The Supermarket Shopper's Guide to the Truth Behind Food Labels, #25 Henry IV, Part One, #26 Zami, A New Spelling of My Name: A Biomythography, #27 Twelfth Night, or What You Will (Bantam Anthology), #28 Murder Must Advertise, #29 Stagestruck: Theater, AIDS, and the Marketing of Gay America, #30 Angels in America, A Gay Fantasia on National Themes, Part One: Millennium Approaches, #31 The Tragedy of Macbeth (Bantam Anthology), #32 Stone of Destiny: The Story of Lady Macbeth, #33 Ian Pollack's Illustrated King Lear #34 Celtic Folklore Cooking, #35 Angels in America, A Gay Fantasia on National Themes, Part Two: Perestroika Revised Edition), #36 The Winter's Tale (Bantam Anthology), #37 Tolkien's Art: A Mythology for England, #38 The Body (Audio), #39 Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption (Audio), #40 Four Past Midnight: The Sun Dog (Audio), #41 The Tempest (Bantam Anthology): Redux, #42 World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War, #43 Science Verse, #44 Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich and Other Stories You’re Sure to Like Because They’re All About Monsters and Some of Them are Also About Food. You Like Food, Don’t You? Well, All Right Then, #45 Case Histories, #46 Time Bandit: Two Brothers, the Bering Sea, and One of the World's Deadliest Jobs, #47 Why Pandas Do Handstands and Other Curious Truths About Animals, #48 Rolling the R's, #49 Spooky ABC, #50 A is for Arches: A Utah Alphabet, #51 Raven: A Trickster Tale from the Pacific Northwest, #52 E is for Evergreen: A Washington Alphabet, #53 Beowulf (Longman Anthology), #54-60 The Harry Potter Series (Audio), #60 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Audio), #61 The Gingerbread Girl (Audio), #62 A Whale Hunt: Two Years on the Olympic Peninsula with the Makah and Their Canoe, #63 Heart-Shaped Box (Audio), #64 The Host, #65 Why War is Never a Good Idea, #66 Spicy Hot Colors: Colores Picantes, #67 To Everything There is a Season, #68 Charles Fort: The Man Who Invented the Supernatural, #69 Stick: Great Moments in Art, History, Film, and More..., #70 America: A Patriotic Primer, #71 A is for America: An American Alphabet, #72 Just How Stupid Are We?: The TRUTH About the American Voter, #73 Teaching Montessori in the Home: The Pre-School Years, #74 S is for Shamrock: An Ireland Alphabet, #75 The Brief History of the Dead, #76 The Ruins, #77 Marvel 1602, #78 The World That Made New Orleans: From Spanish Silver to Congo Square, #79 The Preservationist, #80 Duma Key, #81 Your Money or Your Life: Transforming Your Relationship with Money and Achieving Financial Independence, #82 The Wood Are Dark: Restored and Uncut

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#190 of 196 Old 08-01-2008, 02:42 AM

Behind The Attic Wall by Sylvia Cassedy (three out of five stars on Goodreads.com)

Children's lit about an orphaned girl sent to live in house, have her life taped and find out what happens when people stop being polite and start getting real...

JUST KIDDING!

This book was well written and endearing. I especially loved Uncle Morris whose silly sense of humor reminded me of my grandpa. My grandpa would have loved those jokes.

This is not the book NCD was looking for, but it was definitely worth reading.
#191 of 196 Old 08-01-2008, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellemarie View Post
Behind The Attic Wall by Sylvia Cassedy (three out of five stars on Goodreads.com)

Children's lit about an orphaned girl sent to live in house, have her life taped and find out what happens when people stop being polite and start getting real...

JUST KIDDING!

This book was well written and endearing. I especially loved Uncle Morris whose silly sense of humor reminded me of my grandpa. My grandpa would have loved those jokes.

This is not the book NCD was looking for, but it was definitely worth reading.
lol I have that in my stack waiting to be read! I wonder how many people are going to read the book now because of that thread.
#192 of 196 Old 08-01-2008, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter

#83 Wild About Books
by Judy Sierra
illustrated by Marc Brown

My review of Wild About Books can be found HERE.

#1 The Time Machine, #2 The Shining (Audio): Redux, #3 Curious George, #4 Animal Farm: A Fairy Story, #5 The Tragedy of Othello, Moor of Venice (Bantam Anthology), #6 A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four, #7 "A Study in Emerald", #8 The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead, #9 Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them, #10 Quidditch Through the Ages, #11 On the Day You Were Born, #12 The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark (Bantam Anthology), #13 The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare, #14 Rubyfruit Jungle, #15 John, Paul, George & Ben, #16 The Merchant of Venice (Bantam Anthology): Redux, #17 Dinotopia: A Land Apart from Time, #18 Trent's Last Case, #19 Cyrano de Bergerac: A Heroic Comedy in Five Acts, #20 Animal Dads, #21 Faggots, #22 A Day with Wilbur Robinson, #23 And Then There Were None, #24 Eating Between the Lines: The Supermarket Shopper's Guide to the Truth Behind Food Labels, #25 Henry IV, Part One, #26 Zami, A New Spelling of My Name: A Biomythography, #27 Twelfth Night, or What You Will (Bantam Anthology), #28 Murder Must Advertise, #29 Stagestruck: Theater, AIDS, and the Marketing of Gay America, #30 Angels in America, A Gay Fantasia on National Themes, Part One: Millennium Approaches, #31 The Tragedy of Macbeth (Bantam Anthology), #32 Stone of Destiny: The Story of Lady Macbeth, #33 Ian Pollack's Illustrated King Lear #34 Celtic Folklore Cooking, #35 Angels in America, A Gay Fantasia on National Themes, Part Two: Perestroika Revised Edition), #36 The Winter's Tale (Bantam Anthology), #37 Tolkien's Art: A Mythology for England, #38 The Body (Audio), #39 Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption (Audio), #40 Four Past Midnight: The Sun Dog (Audio), #41 The Tempest (Bantam Anthology): Redux, #42 World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War, #43 Science Verse, #44 Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich and Other Stories You’re Sure to Like Because They’re All About Monsters and Some of Them are Also About Food. You Like Food, Don’t You? Well, All Right Then, #45 Case Histories, #46 Time Bandit: Two Brothers, the Bering Sea, and One of the World's Deadliest Jobs, #47 Why Pandas Do Handstands and Other Curious Truths About Animals, #48 Rolling the R's, #49 Spooky ABC, #50 A is for Arches: A Utah Alphabet, #51 Raven: A Trickster Tale from the Pacific Northwest, #52 E is for Evergreen: A Washington Alphabet, #53 Beowulf (Longman Anthology), #54-60 The Harry Potter Series (Audio), #60 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Audio), #61 The Gingerbread Girl (Audio), #62 A Whale Hunt: Two Years on the Olympic Peninsula with the Makah and Their Canoe, #63 Heart-Shaped Box (Audio), #64 The Host, #65 Why War is Never a Good Idea, #66 Spicy Hot Colors: Colores Picantes, #67 To Everything There is a Season, #68 Charles Fort: The Man Who Invented the Supernatural, #69 Stick: Great Moments in Art, History, Film, and More..., #70 America: A Patriotic Primer, #71 A is for America: An American Alphabet, #72 Just How Stupid Are We?: The TRUTH About the American Voter, #73 Teaching Montessori in the Home: The Pre-School Years, #74 S is for Shamrock: An Ireland Alphabet, #75 The Brief History of the Dead, #76 The Ruins, #77 Marvel 1602, #78 The World That Made New Orleans: From Spanish Silver to Congo Square, #79 The Preservationist, #80 Duma Key, #81 Your Money or Your Life: Transforming Your Relationship with Money and Achieving Financial Independence, #82 The Wood Are Dark: Restored and Uncut, #83 Wild About Books

#193 of 196 Old 08-01-2008, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

The August thread is ready to go ... here it is: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=924350

#194 of 196 Old 08-01-2008, 04:04 AM

Here is the August thread http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=941888

That last link puts us back to the July one.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#195 of 196 Old 08-01-2008, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerCathy View Post
Here is the August thread http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=941888

That last link puts us back to the July one.
:

#196 of 196 Old 08-01-2008, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kofduke View Post
#27 - Hidden, Paul Jaskunas

This debut novel was excellent. The male author does an excellent job telling the story from the female protagonist's perspective. You are left inside her skin, like her, puzzling over the truth of the night she was beaten. The story is beautifully written and evocative of the place and time. Recommended.
I went to request this from the library and there's a surprisingly high number of books with this same name! Found the right one though.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page