July 2008 Book Challenge - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 196 Old 07-01-2008, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Summer is upon us, and so it is time to dust off your favorite bathing suit, iron your sunglasses and beach chair, clean your beach towel and head to the beach with your a stack of your favorite books. Ahhhh... summer reading.

Since there has been some recent confusion as to what the purpose of the Book Challenge Thread is for, let's go over the new and improved guidelines for the thread:

1) Post the books you read ... or not
2) Post a recommendation ... or not
3) Number your book ... or not
4) Make a goal ... or not
5) Have fun with books (This one, unfortunately, is MANDATORY)

So, with that, avante and a happy reading July to everyone!

January's thread is HERE
February's thread is HERE
March's thread is HERE
April's thread is HERE
May's thread is HERE
June's thread is HERE

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#2 of 196 Old 07-01-2008, 11:42 AM

#19 Pretty Little Mistakes: A Do-Over Novel by Heather Mcelhatton
This one I have been reading for a little while. It was very fun and cool, but it got old in my opinion. It seemed like i kept turning into a slut, lol. I'm not sure if any of the endings don't end in trampiness.
#20 The Preservationist by David Maine
This book is rutting awesome! I was not offended at all with the dirty parts of this adaptation of Noah's Ark, and I really thought it was very imaginative. I am eager to see what else this guy has done.
#3 of 196 Old 07-01-2008, 11:43 AM

#27 Finding Lost: the unofficial guide – Wow! I doubt the writers of the show really had all these things in mind, but it was fun reading about the different theories.

#28 American Gods: A Novel – It took me awhile to get through this book, so long that I was not able to remember little details that were important later. I loved the premise but the book didn’t really do it for me.

HAPPY CANADA DAY!
#4 of 196 Old 07-01-2008, 07:01 PM

I'm feeling overwhelmed by the amount of requests I received all at once from the library!

Right now I am reading The Saffron Kitchen and Nobody's Fool by Richard Russo, and have waiting to be read;
The Art of Scandal: The Life and Times of Isabella Stewart Gardner
Assassination Vacation
The Teahouse Fire
Case Histories: A Novel
Love is a Mixtape
Into the Wild
Daughters of the North
:

Just wanted to get my overwhelmed feelings out : :
#5 of 196 Old 07-01-2008, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremontmama View Post
I'm feeling overwhelmed by the amount of requests I received all at once from the library!

Right now I am reading The Saffron Kitchen and Nobody's Fool by Richard Russo, and have waiting to be read;
The Art of Scandal: The Life and Times of Isabella Stewart Gardner
Assassination Vacation
The Teahouse Fire
Case Histories: A Novel
Love is a Mixtape
Into the Wild
Daughters of the North
:

Just wanted to get my overwhelmed feelings out : :
Me too. Within the last two days, I have had the following come in:

Just How Stupid Are We?: Facing the TRUTH About the American Voter
The Brief History of the Dead
U.S. vs. Them
Musicophilia
The World that Made New Orleans
Child 44
and
Duma Key

Guess I better get reading! Luckily (or unluckily) I'm out of school (and work) until August.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#6 of 196 Old 07-01-2008, 10:57 PM

fremontmama and NewCrunchyDaddy -- I assume you both know this but in case you don't, some library systems allow you to place a "freeze" on your holds so you don't get too many at one time. There are some restrictions, but I've found this helpful. I'm not sure what state you are in NCD but fremontmama, KCLS allows this. Forgive me if you both already know this! I am constantly putting stuff on hold since I rarely buy books. I LOVE the library. I think the Seattle has one of the highest library use rates -- or something like that. Makes me proud!

Amazing Mama Birth Services
CD(DONA) and Birthing From Within Mentor and Birth Doula
#7 of 196 Old 07-01-2008, 11:25 PM

58. Moby-Dick by Herman Melville

Been chipping away on this one for about a month now. I enjoyed it.
#8 of 196 Old 07-01-2008, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMama View Post
fremontmama and NewCrunchyDaddy -- I assume you both know this but in case you don't, some library systems allow you to place a "freeze" on your holds so you don't get too many at one time. There are some restrictions, but I've found this helpful. I'm not sure what state you are in NCD but fremontmama, KCLS allows this. Forgive me if you both already know this! I am constantly putting stuff on hold since I rarely buy books. I LOVE the library. I think the Seattle has one of the highest library use rates -- or something like that. Makes me proud!
I wish I was back in Seattle (that's where DW and I were before we moved too far inland) ... we were regular (and I mean regular) patrons of the Seattle Public Libraries to the point that our local branch (Magnolia) librarians would get our holds ready when we walked in the door (this was before they installed the automated system). Our two local libraries don't allow freezes and on the whole, I'm not too impressed with either (when compared to the SPL and KCLS), but they're all I've got so... (We did just come back with 33 books/magazines (in addition to the 97 we already had checked out) between the three of us (myself, DW and DS) so I guess I can't complain too much

#9 of 196 Old 07-02-2008, 03:03 AM

I would love for our library to have either the freeze option or an option to have a "wish list" of the books you want to eventually get around to reading, but don't want to put on hold yet. Then, when you are ready to read the book, you can move it from your wish list to your hold requests.

I'm currently reading The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs. It's pretty amusing. I hope he actually gets something meaningful out of the experiment, though. I tried to read his Know-It-All book about reading the entire encyclopedia and I thought it was a pretty lame experiment to do, much less to write a book about.
#10 of 196 Old 07-02-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Oooh, thanks for that tip! I just moved to Seattle so this may come in verrrrry handy.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#11 of 196 Old 07-02-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
Me too. Within the last two days, I have had the following come in:

Just How Stupid Are We?: Facing the TRUTH About the American Voter
The Brief History of the Dead
U.S. vs. Them
Musicophilia
The World that Made New Orleans
Child 44
and
Duma Key

Guess I better get reading! Luckily (or unluckily) I'm out of school (and work) until August.
Ooh, you have some interesting ones coming up!

Quote:
Yeah, I haven't ever done that, although I definitely have times when I wished I had. I never know that I am going to have a bunch of books waiting for me until they've already arrived most of the time, so it's a fun surprise usually. I dont mind the pressure too much

And definitely, the Seattle Library system rocks. It's a rarity for them to not have a book I am looking for.

And their book sale at Magnuson Park is phenomenal!
#12 of 196 Old 07-02-2008, 05:36 PM

I am finding it hard to get reading done this week. We are at the ocean and I thought I would read tons. But so far I am still reading the same book after three days.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
#13 of 196 Old 07-02-2008, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ooh, you have some interesting ones coming up!
Yeah ... I'm looking forward to them.

Quote:
And definitely, the Seattle Library system rocks. It's a rarity for them to not have a book I am looking for.

And their book sale at Magnuson Park is phenomenal!
We miss Seattle a lot. When I apply for grad schools this fall UW will definitely be on the list. The Orem-Provo Utah area just doesn't compare.

#14 of 196 Old 07-02-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:

We miss Seattle a lot. When I apply for grad schools this fall UW will definitely be on the list. The Orem-Provo Utah area just doesn't compare.

Hope you get it! I can see how the library system (and many other things) would be strikingly different there.
#15 of 196 Old 07-02-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Yeah ... I'm looking forward to them.

UW is where I went to grad school (I have an MA in Public Administration and an MA in International Studies) and overall I was very happy with my choice to go there. I miss it now!

Amazing Mama Birth Services
CD(DONA) and Birthing From Within Mentor and Birth Doula
#16 of 196 Old 07-02-2008, 09:52 PM

#23 - CandyFreak, Steve Almond

Quote:
Almond loves candy like no other man in America. "I had decided to write about candy because I assumed it would be fun and frivolous and distracting...reconnect to the single, untarnished pleasure of my childhood. But, of course, there are no untarnished pleasures. That is only something the admen of our time would like us to believe." Almond's bittersweet nostalgia is balanced by a fiercely independent spirit--the same underdog quality on display by the small candy makers whose entire existence (and livelihood) is forever shadowed by the Big Three: Hershey's, Mars, and Nestle.
The parts of this book where the author reports on candymaking and the state of the candy industry are very interesting. The ends of chapters, where he digresses into psychobabble or his personal ethical issues can be less so.

#1-Garden of Beasts, #2-Passporter Guide to WDW, #3-Skylight Confessions, #4 - The Secret, #5 - The Kite Runner, #6 - Gone, #7 - Hidden Mickeys, #8 - Into Thin Air, #9 - Wolf Point, #10 - Ocean Breezes, #11 - Harmony Guide to Cables and Aran, #12 - East, #13 - Getting Started Knitting Socks, #14 - Keeping Faith, #15 - The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight, #16 The Big Nap, #17 - Grave of God's Daughter, #18 - Daddy's Girl, #19 - Behind the Scenes at the Museum, #20 - America, #21 - The Little Friend, #22 - Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, #23 - Candyfreak
#17 of 196 Old 07-03-2008, 01:43 AM

24. The Purrfect Murder - Rita Mae Brown

This is my umpteenth Mrs. Murphy Mystery. I kind of don't know why I keep reading them, because they always frustrate me - her "aw-shucks" yet political "this-is-the-way-the-world-works" expositions are beyond heavy-handed and so boring her editor should be shot. I guess the appeal is that it's easy to drop into - I know all the characters so all I have to do is learn about a few new ones (who are almost always killed or end up being the killers) and then try to figure out how Harry will almost be killed trying to solve the mystery and how her pets will save her butt. A mediocre summer read.

#18 of 196 Old 07-03-2008, 10:51 AM

Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan.

Its been discussed here upteen times so I don't have much to add. I am totally freaked out by the book but that's good. I was especially intrigued by the big organic vs. small organic chapter.

(1-04) (8-09)
#19 of 196 Old 07-03-2008, 05:48 PM

A middle-grade novel...

#42 Me and the Pumpkin Queen by Marlane Kennedy

The best parts of this book were the ones about growing giant pumpkins. It's easy to see the author did her homework on the topic. The story was alright, but a few things bothered me: Mildred didn't always sound 11 years old—saying things like "to no avail," when it wasn't part of her character to be precocious. A few parts weren't really necessary and slowed the story down, like stepping the reader through every single thing Mildred does when she gets home from school one day. And finally, there were a few things that didn't feel resolved, like a mention of how the dad and his co-worker should go on a date but it's never mentioned again. Overall, I wouldn't recommend this unless you're really into pumpkins.

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#20 of 196 Old 07-04-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
. When I apply for grad schools this fall UW will definitely be on the list. The Orem-Provo Utah area just doesn't compare.
what others are on the list?
#21 of 196 Old 07-04-2008, 12:43 PM

Three middle grade books:

#81 Feathers by Jacqueline Woodson
reminded me of Stargirl a bit -- just in the whole newcomer-who-is-so-different-from-'us' way. I liked it. Title comes from the Emily Dickinson poem about hope. Very short.

#82 Elijah of Buxton by Christopher Paul Curtis
I liked The Watsons Go to ********** (by the same author) more, but this was good. (and I still managed to cry at the end). Buxton is an actual town/community in Canada where freed and escaped slaves lived. Elijah is the first child born free in the community. A good historical novel for middle grades.

#83 Cicada Summer by Andrea Beatty
I think it's important for me to remember that this is juvenile literature (not young adult) and judge it on that basis. Clever writing, fun characters. Main character hasn't spoken since her brother's death, new girl comes to town....

And an adult book that my library classed as sci-fi

#84 The Man Who Turned Into Himself by David Ambrose
Loved it. I'm totally a "what if?" kind of person (as in I really like the movie Sliding Doors) and I think that is a lot of why I loved this book. Bryan -- I wondered if this might be a book for you. It's based on the "many worlds" theory of quantum physics.
Rick Hamilton is in a middle when he suddenly feels that his wife is going to die. He arrives at the scene of the accident as she is dying. He closes his eyes in grief and when he opens them she is alive, though it's a slightly different accident and he is a slightly different person. (and they suddenly have no child.) Really good stuff, imo.
#22 of 196 Old 07-04-2008, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufomander View Post
what others are on the list?
So far:
-University of Washington
-Purdue
-Penn State
-Brown
-Washington State University
-Notre Dame
-University of Alaska Anchorage
-Salisbury University
-UC Berkeley (a man can dream)
-UNLV
-University of Montana
-Oregon State University
-University of Oregon

And that's all I've decided on so far, I'm sure there will be a few more. Speaking of which, I need to see when the GREs are scheduled ... better go.

#23 of 196 Old 07-04-2008, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
#84 The Man Who Turned Into Himself by David Ambrose
Bryan -- I wondered if this might be a book for you. It's based on the "many worlds" theory of quantum physics.
I'll have to see if our libraries have it ... when I'm done with the massive list I've gotten already

Speaking of the "many worlds" theory have you read Clifford D. Simak's Ring Around the Sun, that's one of the best "many worlds" books I've ever run across.

#24 of 196 Old 07-04-2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
#82 Elijah of Buxton by Christopher Paul Curtis
I liked The Watsons Go to ********** (by the same author) more, but this was good. (and I still managed to cry at the end). Buxton is an actual town/community in Canada where freed and escaped slaves lived. Elijah is the first child born free in the community. A good historical novel for middle grades.
I have been to Buxton. It was part of a journalism training program in high school.

#2. Fat Girlby Judith Moore
True story of Moore's struggle with weight that started when her parents separated. She doesn't see her father again until she is adult. Her mother is self-absorbed and abusive. Her maternal grandmother isn't much better. She's a great descriptive writer but something felt lacking at the end. I felt like there was too much left unanswered.

(1-04) (8-09)
#25 of 196 Old 07-05-2008, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

#70 America: A Patriotic Primer
by Lynne Cheney
illustrated by Robin Preiss Glasser

My review of America can be found here.

#1 The Time Machine, #2 The Shining (Audio): Redux, #3 Curious George, #4 Animal Farm: A Fairy Story, #5 The Tragedy of Othello, Moor of Venice (Bantam Anthology), #6 A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four, #7 "A Study in Emerald", #8 The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead, #9 Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them, #10 Quidditch Through the Ages, #11 On the Day You Were Born, #12 The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark (Bantam Anthology), #13 The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare, #14 Rubyfruit Jungle, #15 John, Paul, George & Ben, #16 The Merchant of Venice (Bantam Anthology): Redux, #17 Dinotopia: A Land Apart from Time, #18 Trent's Last Case, #19 Cyrano de Bergerac: A Heroic Comedy in Five Acts, #20 Animal Dads, #21 Faggots, #22 A Day with Wilbur Robinson, #23 And Then There Were None, #24 Eating Between the Lines: The Supermarket Shopper's Guide to the Truth Behind Food Labels, #25 Henry IV, Part One, #26 Zami, A New Spelling of My Name: A Biomythography, #27 Twelfth Night, or What You Will (Bantam Anthology), #28 Murder Must Advertise, #29 Stagestruck: Theater, AIDS, and the Marketing of Gay America, #30 Angels in America, A Gay Fantasia on National Themes, Part One: Millennium Approaches, #31 The Tragedy of Macbeth (Bantam Anthology), #32 Stone of Destiny: The Story of Lady Macbeth, #33 Ian Pollack's Illustrated King Lear #34 Celtic Folklore Cooking, #35 Angels in America, A Gay Fantasia on National Themes, Part Two: Perestroika Revised Edition), #36 The Winter's Tale (Bantam Anthology), #37 Tolkien's Art: A Mythology for England, #38 The Body (Audio), #39 Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption (Audio), #40 Four Past Midnight: The Sun Dog (Audio), #41 The Tempest (Bantam Anthology): Redux, #42 World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War, #43 Science Verse, #44 Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich and Other Stories You’re Sure to Like Because They’re All About Monsters and Some of Them are Also About Food. You Like Food, Don’t You? Well, All Right Then, #45 Case Histories, #46 Time Bandit: Two Brothers, the Bering Sea, and One of the World's Deadliest Jobs, #47 Why Pandas Do Handstands and Other Curious Truths About Animals, #48 Rolling the R's, #49 Spooky ABC, #50 A is for Arches: A Utah Alphabet, #51 Raven: A Trickster Tale from the Pacific Northwest, #52 E is for Evergreen: A Washington Alphabet, #53 Beowulf (Longman Anthology), #54-60 The Harry Potter Series (Audio), #60 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Audio), #61 The Gingerbread Girl (Audio), #62 A Whale Hunt: Two Years on the Olympic Peninsula with the Makah and Their Canoe, #63 Heart-Shaped Box (Audio), #64 The Host, #65 Why War is Never a Good Idea, #66 Spicy Hot Colors: Colores Picantes, #67 To Everything There is a Season, #68 Charles Fort: The Man Who Invented the Supernatural, #69 Stick: Great Moments in Art, History, Film, and More..., #70 America: A Patriotic Primer

#26 of 196 Old 07-05-2008, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

#71 A is for America: An American Alphabet
by Devin Scillian
illustrated by Pat Carroll

My review of A is for America can be found here.

#1 The Time Machine, #2 The Shining (Audio): Redux, #3 Curious George, #4 Animal Farm: A Fairy Story, #5 The Tragedy of Othello, Moor of Venice (Bantam Anthology), #6 A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four, #7 "A Study in Emerald", #8 The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead, #9 Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them, #10 Quidditch Through the Ages, #11 On the Day You Were Born, #12 The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark (Bantam Anthology), #13 The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare, #14 Rubyfruit Jungle, #15 John, Paul, George & Ben, #16 The Merchant of Venice (Bantam Anthology): Redux, #17 Dinotopia: A Land Apart from Time, #18 Trent's Last Case, #19 Cyrano de Bergerac: A Heroic Comedy in Five Acts, #20 Animal Dads, #21 Faggots, #22 A Day with Wilbur Robinson, #23 And Then There Were None, #24 Eating Between the Lines: The Supermarket Shopper's Guide to the Truth Behind Food Labels, #25 Henry IV, Part One, #26 Zami, A New Spelling of My Name: A Biomythography, #27 Twelfth Night, or What You Will (Bantam Anthology), #28 Murder Must Advertise, #29 Stagestruck: Theater, AIDS, and the Marketing of Gay America, #30 Angels in America, A Gay Fantasia on National Themes, Part One: Millennium Approaches, #31 The Tragedy of Macbeth (Bantam Anthology), #32 Stone of Destiny: The Story of Lady Macbeth, #33 Ian Pollack's Illustrated King Lear #34 Celtic Folklore Cooking, #35 Angels in America, A Gay Fantasia on National Themes, Part Two: Perestroika Revised Edition), #36 The Winter's Tale (Bantam Anthology), #37 Tolkien's Art: A Mythology for England, #38 The Body (Audio), #39 Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption (Audio), #40 Four Past Midnight: The Sun Dog (Audio), #41 The Tempest (Bantam Anthology): Redux, #42 World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War, #43 Science Verse, #44 Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich and Other Stories You’re Sure to Like Because They’re All About Monsters and Some of Them are Also About Food. You Like Food, Don’t You? Well, All Right Then, #45 Case Histories, #46 Time Bandit: Two Brothers, the Bering Sea, and One of the World's Deadliest Jobs, #47 Why Pandas Do Handstands and Other Curious Truths About Animals, #48 Rolling the R's, #49 Spooky ABC, #50 A is for Arches: A Utah Alphabet, #51 Raven: A Trickster Tale from the Pacific Northwest, #52 E is for Evergreen: A Washington Alphabet, #53 Beowulf (Longman Anthology), #54-60 The Harry Potter Series (Audio), #60 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Audio), #61 The Gingerbread Girl (Audio), #62 A Whale Hunt: Two Years on the Olympic Peninsula with the Makah and Their Canoe, #63 Heart-Shaped Box (Audio), #64 The Host, #65 Why War is Never a Good Idea, #66 Spicy Hot Colors: Colores Picantes, #67 To Everything There is a Season, #68 Charles Fort: The Man Who Invented the Supernatural, #69 Stick: Great Moments in Art, History, Film, and More..., #70 America: A Patriotic Primer, #71 A is for America: An American Alphabet

#27 of 196 Old 07-05-2008, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

#72 Just How Stupid Are We?: The TRUTH About the American Voter
by Rick Shenkman

My review of Just How Stupid Are We? can be found here.

#1 The Time Machine, #2 The Shining (Audio): Redux, #3 Curious George, #4 Animal Farm: A Fairy Story, #5 The Tragedy of Othello, Moor of Venice (Bantam Anthology), #6 A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four, #7 "A Study in Emerald", #8 The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead, #9 Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them, #10 Quidditch Through the Ages, #11 On the Day You Were Born, #12 The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark (Bantam Anthology), #13 The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare, #14 Rubyfruit Jungle, #15 John, Paul, George & Ben, #16 The Merchant of Venice (Bantam Anthology): Redux, #17 Dinotopia: A Land Apart from Time, #18 Trent's Last Case, #19 Cyrano de Bergerac: A Heroic Comedy in Five Acts, #20 Animal Dads, #21 Faggots, #22 A Day with Wilbur Robinson, #23 And Then There Were None, #24 Eating Between the Lines: The Supermarket Shopper's Guide to the Truth Behind Food Labels, #25 Henry IV, Part One, #26 Zami, A New Spelling of My Name: A Biomythography, #27 Twelfth Night, or What You Will (Bantam Anthology), #28 Murder Must Advertise, #29 Stagestruck: Theater, AIDS, and the Marketing of Gay America, #30 Angels in America, A Gay Fantasia on National Themes, Part One: Millennium Approaches, #31 The Tragedy of Macbeth (Bantam Anthology), #32 Stone of Destiny: The Story of Lady Macbeth, #33 Ian Pollack's Illustrated King Lear #34 Celtic Folklore Cooking, #35 Angels in America, A Gay Fantasia on National Themes, Part Two: Perestroika Revised Edition), #36 The Winter's Tale (Bantam Anthology), #37 Tolkien's Art: A Mythology for England, #38 The Body (Audio), #39 Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption (Audio), #40 Four Past Midnight: The Sun Dog (Audio), #41 The Tempest (Bantam Anthology): Redux, #42 World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War, #43 Science Verse, #44 Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich and Other Stories You’re Sure to Like Because They’re All About Monsters and Some of Them are Also About Food. You Like Food, Don’t You? Well, All Right Then, #45 Case Histories, #46 Time Bandit: Two Brothers, the Bering Sea, and One of the World's Deadliest Jobs, #47 Why Pandas Do Handstands and Other Curious Truths About Animals, #48 Rolling the R's, #49 Spooky ABC, #50 A is for Arches: A Utah Alphabet, #51 Raven: A Trickster Tale from the Pacific Northwest, #52 E is for Evergreen: A Washington Alphabet, #53 Beowulf (Longman Anthology), #54-60 The Harry Potter Series (Audio), #60 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Audio), #61 The Gingerbread Girl (Audio), #62 A Whale Hunt: Two Years on the Olympic Peninsula with the Makah and Their Canoe, #63 Heart-Shaped Box (Audio), #64 The Host, #65 Why War is Never a Good Idea, #66 Spicy Hot Colors: Colores Picantes, #67 To Everything There is a Season, #68 Charles Fort: The Man Who Invented the Supernatural, #69 Stick: Great Moments in Art, History, Film, and More..., #70 America: A Patriotic Primer, #71 A is for America: An American Alphabet, #72 Just How Stupid Are We?: The TRUTH About the American Voter

#28 of 196 Old 07-05-2008, 06:05 AM

#13 Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin

Very good book. Took me awhile to get through it. Very tiny font compared to most of the books I've been reading lately. This book gives you insight to the Afghanistan people. How they aren't all Taliban and a people who just want to live and how Greg builds schools to create a better life instead of a life in the Taliban. I cheered Greg and his wife on when they had a midwife and homebirths. I'm hoping a whole bunch of people read this and start having more homebirths and midwives. Hey, I can dream can't I? I highly recommend this book.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#29 of 196 Old 07-05-2008, 07:30 AM

Just read The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference by Malcolm Gladwell. I picked it up from my library pile just meaning to flip through it for a bit before bed, but it kept me up until 3 a.m. and I read it all the way through. I thought the last chapter on addiction was fascinating - he makes a pretty strong case for allowing teens to experiment with smoking. I have heard of a lot of the case studies before in psychology classes, but the way he put all the evidence together to prove his point was intriguing.
#30 of 196 Old 07-05-2008, 11:08 AM

25. Track of the Cat - Nevada Barr, Mystery

This was the first (and my first) Anna Pigeon mystery - there are a bunch more published now (like 9 or 10). It was ok, I'd say 3 out of 5 stars. I prefer a little more humor in my mysteries, but this one had good nature writing in it and a healthy respect/reverence for animal life, so that was very pleasant. I will probably read more from the series, as I know that they can pick up speed over time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page