What Book is This?!?!?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 07-16-2008, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am losing my mind. I am trying to find a book that I remember reading in my salad days. That would mean it was from the mid-1980s-ish.

It was a young adult book about a girl who finds a dollhouse in her attic (her grandmother's attic) and every-so-often goes back in time to the 1800s through the power/lure/glamour of the dollhouse.

I thought it was called Dollhouse in the Attic ... but that doesn't come up on any searches on Amazon, Google, Powells, Alibris or ABEBooks.

I know it's not The Dollhouse Murders or Time Windows or Among the Dolls ... but nothing else seems to come up.

The author's last name started with either a J, K, L or M as I remember going to pull it off the shelf of the YA section of my hometown library and pulling it off the shelf near to Doctor Doolittle which was written by Hugh Lofting.

I've gone through every possible search permutation even on my hometown library's web catalog, and I just can't find it.

HELP!

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#2 of 19 Old 07-16-2008, 05:57 PM

kathryn Reiss - Timewindows

Quote:
When Miranda moves with her family to a new house in a small Massachusetts town, she discovers a mysterious antique--a dollhouse. Looking out through the dollhouse windows, she is shocked to realize that scenes from the lives of the big house's past inhabitants are being replayed there, and the house is exerting an evil power over the women who live there. Miranda must try to find the key to unlock the past--but in doing so she is drawn into the terrifying scenes herself!
Ack, sorry just saw it is not time windows
#3 of 19 Old 07-16-2008, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyDaddy View Post
Ack, sorry just saw it is not time windows
Yeah ... those are all too recent, mid-90s to 2000s.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#4 of 19 Old 07-16-2008, 06:41 PM

Well there is one by Janet Lorimer called simply Dollhouse from 1987. I can't find a synopsis of it though.
#5 of 19 Old 07-16-2008, 06:44 PM

I remember reading this book. I can't help you with the name of it though, sorry.
#6 of 19 Old 07-16-2008, 07:11 PM

Can't help ya, NCD. But may I suggest Joan Aiken's Armitage, Armitage, Fly Away Home in the meantime? You won't be disappointed.
#7 of 19 Old 07-16-2008, 07:23 PM

oh my god i know i totally read that book back in the day. I could have sworn it was called dollhouse in the attic, but I guess not. update the thread when you find out, please good luck! now my brain hurts.

Mama to lovely twin girls 1/08
#8 of 19 Old 07-16-2008, 07:54 PM

Kind of a stretch, maybe, but is this it?
#9 of 19 Old 07-16-2008, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sweet Miss Honeywell's Revenge? Kind of a horror, ghost story.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#10 of 19 Old 07-16-2008, 10:35 PM

Are you talking about Behind the Attic Wall?

http://www.amazon.com/Behind-Attic-W...6258753&sr=8-2
#11 of 19 Old 07-17-2008, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter

I don't know

We'll be down at my parent's place in a couple of weeks, maybe I need to wander into the library and see if I can find it.

I couldn't even find it in the Library of Freakin' Congress' database!

Maybe I'm making things up.

#12 of 19 Old 07-17-2008, 08:31 AM

Well, get Behind the Attic Wall and read it--it's a fabulous, fabulous book. Even if it's not what you're thinking of, you won't be sorry!
#13 of 19 Old 07-17-2008, 08:58 AM

I remember reading Behind the Attic Wall and loving it too!

I found "The Doll's House", by Rumer Godden on amazon at: http://www.amazon.com/Dolls-House-Ru..._bxgy_b_text_b - title and author somewhat match, but the story isn't exactly what you describe... the dolls have a story, but no mention of a real time-traveling girl in the synopsis, so I don't know if it's of any help or not...

gardening : SAHM to ballerina (6/15/02) and son (5/18/05) still for my husband. Independent Childbirth Educator
#14 of 19 Old 07-17-2008, 11:22 AM

That sure sounds like "Behind the Attic Wall" to me. I'm glad someone else was able to remember the name--I could see the cover in my mind, but I couldn't get a name off it!

Is that the same book where the girl is living with maybe a couple of aunts and a semi-dotty uncle, and one of the aunts says that something "beehooves" the girl, and the uncle says, "Bee hooves? I must get to the garden--they'll crush the roses!"? Does anyone remember that?
#15 of 19 Old 07-17-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie9 View Post
That sure sounds like "Behind the Attic Wall" to me. I'm glad someone else was able to remember the name--I could see the cover in my mind, but I couldn't get a name off it!

Is that the same book where the girl is living with maybe a couple of aunts and a semi-dotty uncle, and one of the aunts says that something "beehooves" the girl, and the uncle says, "Bee hooves? I must get to the garden--they'll crush the roses!"? Does anyone remember that?
Yup...that's it! She's a foster child and she goes to live with the two aunts, who run a school (now empty, though, if memory serves--although there's a long scene at the beginning where she imagines how all the kids will hate her and how she'll hate them). She plays solitaire on her bed with a sticky deck of cards (that detail somehow stuck with me). I remember the bee hooves, as well! She finds the dolls in the attic and they come to life...although they think they are living in the 1800s (old newspapers, etc.). A man and his wife, and they have a little china dog. And the wooden bread and butter and pretend tea she eats and drinks with the dolls put color in her cheeks and curl her hair. And there's a super creepy ending, too, which I won't give away.
#16 of 19 Old 07-17-2008, 04:09 PM

Oh, I just grabbed it off of BookMooch. I'm so glad someone started this thread--now I get to read it again. Maybe it'll help me feel 12 years old again too.

Here's the description off BookMooch:
At twelve, Maggie had been thrown out of more boarding schools than she cared to remember. "Impossible to handle," they said -- nasty, mean, disobedient, rebellious, thieving -- anything they could say to explain why she must be removed from the school.

Maggie was thin and pale, with shabby clothes and stringy hair, when she arrived at her new home. "It was a mistake to bring her here," said Maggie's great-aunts, whose huge stone house looked like another boarding school -- or a prison. But they took her in anyway. After all, aside from Uncle Morris, they were Maggie's only living relatives.

But from behind the closet door in the great and gloomy house, Maggie hears the faint whisperings, the beckoning voices. And in the forbidding house of her ancestors, Maggie finds magic...the kind that lets her, for the first time, love and be loved.
#17 of 19 Old 07-18-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCVeg View Post
Yup...that's it! She's a foster child and she goes to live with the two aunts, who run a school (now empty, though, if memory serves--although there's a long scene at the beginning where she imagines how all the kids will hate her and how she'll hate them). She plays solitaire on her bed with a sticky deck of cards (that detail somehow stuck with me). I remember the bee hooves, as well! She finds the dolls in the attic and they come to life...although they think they are living in the 1800s (old newspapers, etc.). A man and his wife, and they have a little china dog. And the wooden bread and butter and pretend tea she eats and drinks with the dolls put color in her cheeks and curl her hair. And there's a super creepy ending, too, which I won't give away.

Yes, Behind the Attic Wall isn't "dollhouse goes back in time!!!"

It is china dolls that talk. I read that one.

It is good (actually it's kind of creepy...I hate dolls that talk, Boo!) but I don't think it is what NCD is looking for

Not all those who wander are lost 
#18 of 19 Old 07-18-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
Yes, Behind the Attic Wall isn't "dollhouse goes back in time!!!"

It is china dolls that talk. I read that one.

It is good (actually it's kind of creepy...I hate dolls that talk Boo!) but I don't think it is what NCD is looking for
Here's what NCD said, "every-so-often goes back in time to the 1800s through the power/lure/glamour of the dollhouse."

Behind the Attic Wall is about time travel, in a sense.

Spoiler alert!

Warning :: Spoiler Ahead! Highlight to read message!
The china dolls are actually the "ghosts" of Maggie's relatives, who died in a fire in the 1800s. They have an old newspaper from their time that they constantly read, and they talk as though they still exist in that world. Even though the dolls and their things are actually in the attic, when Maggie believes in them, they "become" real (that's why the bread and butter fatten her up, the rose wallpaper puts color into her cheeks, and so on)--so in a sense, she is "traveling" to the 1800s.

I'm not sure it's what NCD means, but, depending on how he's remembering it, it definitely could be. In any event, I think he should read it...because it's SO GOOD! I just ordered The Dollhouse Murders, btw...I totally forgot about that one!
#19 of 19 Old 07-18-2008, 11:00 PM

I remembering reading one of these... I think it was Dollhouse Murders. I put Behind the Attic Wall on my hold list to read.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page