"Breaking Dawn" Anticipation Thread - Possible Spoilers for the Twilight Series - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 07-24-2008, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just finished the Twilight series (for the 2nd time) in anticipation of the release of Breaking Dawn. I was surprised that I liked all the books better this time than I did the first time.

Most interesting to me was the fact that I found Bella less annoying, Edward fully justified in his actions (most of the time), and completely disliked Jacob. Eclipse overtook Twilight as my favorite book (I found the whole vampire army thing very intriguing - loved it even more the second time). I only skipped through 5 chapters of New Moon, and although I did like it more, I still think it's a really weak book in general, especially in comparison to Twilight.

I am eagerly anticipating Breaking Dawn and I'm really interested to see what Jacob is planning to do to interrupt Bella and Edward's plans.

Anyone else?
#2 of 30 Old 07-24-2008, 08:40 AM

I can't wait for the book. . .I'm going to read the first three again before it comes out! I'm not excited about the Twilight movie though, movies from my fav books tend just to suck and disappoint (but I'll probably watch it anyway just to complain). I totally want Bella with Jacob--this just needs to happen:

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#3 of 30 Old 07-24-2008, 12:32 PM

::::

TEAM JACOB

#4 of 30 Old 07-24-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellemarie View Post

TEAM JACOB

We can take bets... I"m sure I have good odds, Jacob did not impring on Bella... Edward all the way. :

Now that important questions are covered...

Can't wait for the book to get here. I'm checking Meyer's website every day for the "quote of the day". SO excited. I am not rereading, but I am "re-listening" all all three in this upcoming week so that it is fresh in my mind when I read the next one. Can't wait. :

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#5 of 30 Old 07-24-2008, 01:06 PM

By the way, on her website she is talking about a little spoiler that will be released on Monday.

#6 of 30 Old 07-24-2008, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So gld to see this thread! I read the first two books last week, and will be buying the third just before the 4th comes out!
#7 of 30 Old 07-24-2008, 01:22 PM

I really can't believe I lent my Twilight and New Moon to my stepsister! I've reread Eclipse at least a dozen times in the last week.

I'm with Bella - completely torn between Edward and Jacob. I love Edward's steadfast devotion to Bella, but his manipulations lead me to distrust him. Jacob is so obvious! And so incredibly hot. (Stephanie Meyers' descriptions of Edward's cold kisses just leave me . . . cold!)

Here's my dilemma. I know I should preorder my copy through Booksamillion and have it shipped. Cheaper prices, free shipping. But I want it AS SOON as it comes out!! But I should just wait, since my kids have their birthday party that weekend. I would be embarrassed to host a party then hide in my room and read the whole time!! And I'm afraid that might happen. No.Self.Control. when it comes to this series.
#8 of 30 Old 07-24-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebethmom View Post
I really can't believe I lent my Twilight and New Moon to my stepsister! I've reread Eclipse at least a dozen times in the last week.

I'm with Bella - completely torn between Edward and Jacob. I love Edward's steadfast devotion to Bella, but his manipulations lead me to distrust him. Jacob is so obvious! And so incredibly hot. (Stephanie Meyers' descriptions of Edward's cold kisses just leave me . . . cold!)

Here's my dilemma. I know I should preorder my copy through Booksamillion and have it shipped. Cheaper prices, free shipping. But I want it AS SOON as it comes out!! But I should just wait, since my kids have their birthday party that weekend. I would be embarrassed to host a party then hide in my room and read the whole time!! And I'm afraid that might happen. No.Self.Control. when it comes to this series.
That's me!! We (dsd and I) were reading these books, stading up, sitting down, driving ( : ), talking (in very short sentences to very few people), and barely remembered eating. Her dad thought both of us went crazy for a week. :

I'm going to B&N and preordering my copy TODAY! :

P.S. We have guests coming over August 2nd... So I'll be sneaking off right as you will... If any of the guests get grumpy, I'm afraid I'll have to hiss, throw books, and lock doors.

#9 of 30 Old 07-24-2008, 03:11 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chellemarie View Post

TEAM JACOB

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#10 of 30 Old 07-24-2008, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriole View Post

We can take bets... I"m sure I have good odds, Jacob did not impring on Bella... Edward all the way. :
I'm with you! Bella and Edward FTW.
#11 of 30 Old 07-27-2008, 02:54 AM

I *just* finished reading Twilight, New Moon and Eclipse all in this past week after my sister got me interested in the series. I'm thinking I might read them all again this week because...why not?

Based on what Meyers has said - that people experience different kinds of love with many different people, that Jacob did not imprint on Bella, and that she (Meyers) was in love with the vampire-who-would-be-Edward from day one and thinks that Midnight Sun will really show the depth of his character and love for Bella - I really don't think there's any way that Bella and Edward *won't* end up together (one way or another...there have been too many references to 'Romeo and Juliet' for my liking)

: : :

Team Edward

#12 of 30 Old 07-27-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domesticzookeeper View Post
I *just* finished reading Twilight, New Moon and Eclipse all in this past week after my sister got me interested in the series. I'm thinking I might read them all again this week because...why not?

Based on what Meyers has said - that people experience different kinds of love with many different people, that Jacob did not imprint on Bella, and that she (Meyers) was in love with the vampire-who-would-be-Edward from day one and thinks that Midnight Sun will really show the depth of his character and love for Bella - I really don't think there's any way that Bella and Edward *won't* end up together (one way or another...there have been too many references to 'Romeo and Juliet' for my liking)
I hadn't heard of Midnight Sun yet, the first chapter was pretty interesting!

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#13 of 30 Old 07-27-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:

Team Edward

Me too! I think Jacob has been manipulative as well--maybe Bella will "find herself" in the next one--she'll develop a voice of her own, as well as a backbone.

Unfortunately, I'm only #208 on our library hold list, so I'm going to have to avoid these threads because I have no willpower over spoilers!
#14 of 30 Old 07-27-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
I really don't think there's any way that Bella and Edward *won't* end up together (one way or another...there have been too many references to 'Romeo and Juliet' for my liking)
I agree. I just finished Eclipse this week and it seems that the author has made it pretty clear that Bella will end up with Edward. . . though I like Jacob's character so much more.

And BIG FAT DITTO to the Romeo and Juliet references. And Wuthering Heights. Seriously, Meyers, we get where you're going with this. Don't beat us over the head with it.

My predictions: Jacob will imprint on someone (I have my bets on Leah Clearwater, but I don't know if that follows--it hasn't been made clear if imprinting is a "love at first sight" thing only or what) and graciously leave the way open for Edward, but Bella will panic about becoming Undead and that will make up the crux of the 4th book.

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#15 of 30 Old 07-27-2008, 08:03 PM

I was pretty sure that imprinting happened at first sight once they were "changed". So, I don't think Jacob could be imprinted with Leah. I could have misread it, though.

I'm going to start rereading Twilight tonight. I'm a "newbie" as far as being hooked on this series. I'd heard about it everywhere and then finally gave in last week and bought Twilight and then went back the next day to buy the other two. I cannot wait for Saturday! We have an airshow to go to all day and I cannot WAIT to get home and get started!!
#16 of 30 Old 07-27-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lily View Post
And BIG FAT DITTO to the Romeo and Juliet references. And Wuthering Heights. Seriously, Meyers, we get where you're going with this. Don't beat us over the head with it.
I heard a Stephenie Meyers interview today, and she made it sound like Romeo and Juliet was her inspiration for New Moon, and Wuthering Heights was her inspiration for Eclipse. But she says that Midsummer Night's Dream and a book that she can't name yet are the loose models for Breaking Dawn.

It sounds like she left Romeo and Juliet behind with New Moon. I hope so anyway!

I don't ever recall reading A Midsummer Night's Dream. I have a vague recollection of the storyline, but I need to brush up!
#17 of 30 Old 07-28-2008, 05:22 PM

Here is a tiny spoiler from Entertainment Weekly. I thought you would enjoy it.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20215228,00.html

#18 of 30 Old 07-29-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriole View Post
Here is a tiny spoiler from Entertainment Weekly. I thought you would enjoy it.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20215228,00.html
Oooh! Definitely a spoiler, but one I like.
#19 of 30 Old 07-30-2008, 01:19 AM

I WILL NOT READ SPOILERS.

Remind me I said that.

Instead, I will continue stalking my favorite cataloger at the library.
#20 of 30 Old 07-30-2008, 01:37 AM

I'm manager for a bookstore, and we have our preordered books waiting in boxes already. They are here!

Although we signed in blood that we would not open or distribute them until our midnight release, and I'm not.

I'm pretty excited and speculating about the outcome but really am not peeking even though the entire book is right there in front of us.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

#21 of 30 Old 07-30-2008, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeporgarten View Post
I'm manager for a bookstore, and we have our preordered books waiting in boxes already. They are here!

Although we signed in blood that we would not open or distribute them until our midnight release, and I'm not.

I'm pretty excited and speculating about the outcome but really am not peeking even though the entire book is right there in front of us.
Oh man, that would be too hard for me to resist! I'm actually quite glad I don't work in a bookstore... I would have no money left, I'm quite sure.

I'm buying the book, so I'll have it on Saturday .
#22 of 30 Old 07-30-2008, 01:54 PM

I ordered my copy from Amazon, and signed up for the one month free trial of Amazon Prime shipping. That's the only way I can make it through my kids' party behaving like a decent hostess! Shipped, but as fast as possible!

So, deeporgarten, are you working during the midnight release? And coming home to read all night?
#23 of 30 Old 07-30-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebethmom View Post
I ordered my copy from Amazon, and signed up for the one month free trial of Amazon Prime shipping. That's the only way I can make it through my kids' party behaving like a decent hostess! Shipped, but as fast as possible!

So, deeporgarten, are you working during the midnight release? And coming home to read all night?

Yes I am but technically the preorder is for my 13yodd so I'll let her read it first if she wants to stay up. Maybe I'll borrow an extra if there are any.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

#24 of 30 Old 08-02-2008, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Im about halfway through Breaking Dawn.

and all I can say is

Oh
My
Gosh.

That is some crazy sh!t.

PM me if youre reading today, I feel like I need to dialogue about this one!
#25 of 30 Old 08-02-2008, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
My niece intorduced me to this series earlier this week when she excitedly told me about the release party she was going to Friday night. She insisted that since I loved Harry Potter I would love this series as well so last night at Sam's Club I bought the first 2 books in the series and plan on starting Twilight tonight.

I wonder how far along my niece is - she was planning on staying up all night and reading! She was sooo excited - she texted me just before midnight to tell me that she had won some contest and that she was going to be the first to purchase the book at the store she was at - wish I had discovered this sooner, somds like there were abunch of wonderful parties last night!
#26 of 30 Old 08-02-2008, 01:48 PM

I am not reading this thread yet. I have my book, but will wait until Monday when things are quieter at my house to start reading. :

It's SO NOISY here right now ( birthday hullaballou last night for ds#2, friends over, having a jam session in the basement again this afternooon, etc.)

Then there will be the usual week-end busy-ness...

And I want to be able to sit in the quiet and "go" to Forks!

I'll be back later!

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#27 of 30 Old 08-02-2008, 10:50 PM

I am absolutely green with envy!! I got a message from amazon yesterday that my book just shipped out. . .TWO WHOLE WEEKS TO WAIT until it gets here (you would think that since I'm overseas they could ship the book a little sooner. . .you know, so I could have it right after the release date)!!!!! UGH!!!

#28 of 30 Old 08-03-2008, 01:06 AM

My Amazon preorder shipped today, too. The last order only took a day to ship. I hope that this book is shipping from the same center. It's only a 40 minute drive from here.

I am SO hoping for a Monday delivery! I could read all night Monday, then finish it up on Wednesday. (OK, could some rational person remind me that my drive time to work is 1 1/2, and that my 7 hour/no break workday wears me out even when I get a good night's sleep? It's really NOT a good idea to read all night. Right??)
#29 of 30 Old 08-07-2008, 01:41 PM

Who is done reading? Besides me.

No one at my house understands.

My youger son's friend, who is 13, was disappointed in the ending, but I had no big issues with it...

My younger son doesn't like hobbits either, so pphhhhhhttttt!

I wonder if older readers will respond differently than younger readers?

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#30 of 30 Old 08-07-2008, 04:02 PM

tinybutterfly,

I'm done reading, and started discussing in "Breaking Dawn is HERE!" thread.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page