August 2008 Book Challenge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-01-2008, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Dog Days of Summer are coming : it's time to get those last beach books under your belt before September comes and we have to get back to "life." However, there is still time to enjoy your leisure reading, since August is so hot anyway, just spend time at the pool or in a nice air conditioned room and read your little hearts out

Since there has been some confusion as to what the purpose of the Book Challenge Thread is for, let's go over the new and improved guidelines for the thread:

1) Post the books you read ... or not
2) Post a recommendation ... or not
3) Number your book ... or not
4) Make a goal ... or not
5) Have fun with books (This one, unfortunately, is MANDATORY)

So, with that, avante and a happy reading August to everyone!

January's thread is HERE
February's thread is HERE
March's thread is HERE
April's thread is HERE
May's thread is HERE
June's thread is HERE
July's thread is HERE

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2008, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter

I will be out of email/internet/MDC range this weekend, we're flying to California for my sister's wedding :

I will be back on Sunday evening, hopefully with a review of Stephenie Meyer's Breaking Dawn! We're planning on buying it while we're in California.

See you all on Monday!

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Old 08-01-2008, 12:42 PM

28. The Wild Trees: A Story of Passion and Daring - Richard *******

This book was ok, I gave it 3 out of 5 stars on GoodReads. It's about the people who find, study and climb HUGE redwoods - they try to study the largest in the world. The information about the redwoods themselves is AMAZING, seriously. So many interesting facts about how the trees grow, what critters live there, where and how long they live...it's astonishing, truly mind-boggling.

However, the narrative of the book I just found odd. I've never read anything by ******* before, but I just did not gel with his writing style. At first it just reminded me of a fifth-grade book report. I don't know, it's just a VERY removed sounding third-person narrative. Near the end the author actually starts participating in some of the tree climbing, and the first-person writing improves the readability a great deal. I doubt I would read anything by this author again, but I would certainly read more books about redwoods.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
Old 08-01-2008, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
"Bread Alone" by JUdith Ryan Hendricks

This was recommended last month. I realized I'd read this before when I got to the part where she says to make bread with half the yeast and rise it in a cool place - I remember trying that after I read the book before. I read the book anyway because I didn't remember the story and enjoyed it. About a woman going through a divorce and gets a job baking bread.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Old 08-02-2008, 02:13 PM

#45 The Host by Stephenie Meyer

This woman tells a great story, that's for sure. This book hooked a finger in my shirt and yanked me in with no mercy--just like the Twilight series. The difference is when I read the Twilight series, my newborn daughter was taking 30-45 minutes to eat every two hours, so I had plenty of time to read. Now she's 5 months old and taking only 10 minutes to eat every 3 hours, so that means much less time to read.

But--and I realize I'm self-nominating for the Bad Mother of the Year award here--I couldn't put this book down when my daughter finished eating so I would dangle a rattle in one hand and use the other hand to read just.one.more.paragraph. Of course, that always led to another paragraph and another and another.

And this story has the perfect love triangle--the host body is in love with one man and the alien living in the host body is in love with another.

With all that said though, some things in this book did disappoint me. Sometimes, I felt like there was too much descriptive text--I found myself skipping over descriptions of how the main character was feeling so I could get to the action. I guess I wanted more showing, less telling in some places.

But my bigger problem with the book is that, just as with the Twilight series, the main character's weakness really annoyed the crap out of me at times. I got a little tired of her getting hurt and being carried around by one of her two love interests. And I don't want to spoil anything, but the ending isn't exactly a stellar example of strength.

On a petty and shallow level, I was hoping to get what we haven't gotten in the Twilight series (yet at least--haven't read Breaking Dawn yet), if you know what I mean. This is an adult book, for pete's sake.

But even with all that said, the story was intriguing and I'm glad I read it. It was a great ride.

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

Old 08-02-2008, 11:02 PM

Unstrange Minds: Remapping the World of Autism by Roy Richard Grinker

An anthropological view of autism - by far my favorite of all the books I have read about autism. Grinker does not point fingers at the current causes du jour of the moment. Instead he gives a historical and cultural view of what we call autism. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to read something beyond the usual stories of autism.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
Old 08-02-2008, 11:28 PM

Duma Key by Stephen King

I've been wanting to read this one for a while, and I finally got a copy from the library. I'm really enjoying it! It's creepy, but too creepy. The character development and plot are very good.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:33 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I read Water For Elephants last Sunday, and I would recommend it.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenifer76 View Post
Unstrange Minds: Remapping the World of Autism by Roy Richard Grinker

An anthropological view of autism - by far my favorite of all the books I have read about autism. Grinker does not point fingers at the current causes du jour of the moment. Instead he gives a historical and cultural view of what we call autism. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to read something beyond the usual stories of autism.
ooooh! This one sounds interesting.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:57 AM

69. Behind the Attic Wall by Sylvia Cassedy

I love reading children's literature. It's always so much more magical and mysterious than most adult books. This one reminded me a little bit of Alice in Wonderland, if Alice were a misfit always getting kicked out of boarding schools and if Wonderland was a haunted old house.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:36 PM

We are moving in 15 days so I have decided I am going to only read quick and easy reads until that time to get rid of my library stash.

Death of a garage sale newbie by Sharon Dunn
Group of bargain hunters investigates the death of one of their friends. The friend had uncovered a scandal while garage sale shopping. Decent light mystery read.

(1-04) (8-09)
Old 08-03-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenifer76 View Post
We are moving in 15 days so I have decided I am going to only read quick and easy reads until that time to get rid of my library stash.
This is sort of me, too. We're just making a local move but still trying to read through the library books I have out and several of them are fairly fluffy. And the most fluffy one...drumroll......

#99 Fearless Fourteen by Janet Evanovich
Okay. Yeah. Some of hers make me a laugh a little and some not so much... this was one of the not so much ones....
Old 08-04-2008, 05:00 PM

24. The Virgin Blue by Tracy Chevalier
i enjoyed this suspenseful story. it is told from 2 points of view, in alternating chapters: Isabelle, a French woman in the 16th century, when protestants were fleeing to Switzerland, and Ella, a present day US woman living abroad.

i have to say i enjoyed the historic narrative more. Isabelle was very likeable to me. also i liked learning details about customs etc, even though parts of the story are quite sad. (Isabelle is not exactly treated well by her inlaws.) in fact near the end i did something i have never done--i skipped ahead, then went back...wanting so much to know what happened to Isabelle.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
Old 08-04-2008, 05:02 PM

#31 Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortensen and David Relin

Non-fiction book about Greg Mortensen's journey to establishing schools in Pakistan and then Afghanistan. He feels that education is the best way to foster peace in the world, something I totally agree with! I'm sure I'm the last person in the world to read this book, and since it's been on the bestseller list forever, I dont think I need to give it a thumbs up, but HUGE thumbs up! I think I'm going to try and get my dd's preschool to do the Pennies For Peace program. :
Old 08-04-2008, 06:06 PM
Banned

I just finished:

World War Z a couple of days ago.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:14 AM

the beautiful miscellaneous by Dominic Smith

The main character, Nathan, is living under the shadow of his father's genius. His father expects Nathan to be like him and tries to force his "giftedness". Then a brain injury from a car accident causes Nathan to develop synesthesia (is a neurologically-based phenomenon in which stimulation of one sensory or cognitive pathway leads to automatic, involuntary experiences in a second sensory or cognitive pathway). He is sent to an institute for others with gifts beyond the normal where his father hopes he will discover his "genius".

I am murdering the plot because its late and I am tired. I found the book very engaging -- enough to stay up too late.

(1-04) (8-09)
Old 08-05-2008, 03:03 AM

Back to Wando Passo by David Payne

Great book! I really enjoyed it. It was a little long winded at times, but overall a really fascinating and provocative story.

The Shack by William P. Young

I reluctantly read this, but was pleasantly surprised. It's actually pretty good. As a former Christian I certainly see it through different lenses than I would have several years ago, but strictly on a literary level it's a well written book. I didn't agree with everything presented, but I enjoyed the story.

~Beth, mama to two amazing girls, ages 12 and 6~

Old 08-05-2008, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

#84 Tarzan of the Apes
by Edgar Rice Burroughs

My review of Tarzan of the Apes can be found HERE.

#1 The Time Machine, #2 The Shining (Audio): Redux, #3 Curious George, #4 Animal Farm: A Fairy Story, #5 The Tragedy of Othello, Moor of Venice (Bantam Anthology), #6 A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four, #7 "A Study in Emerald", #8 The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead, #9 Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them, #10 Quidditch Through the Ages, #11 On the Day You Were Born, #12 The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark (Bantam Anthology), #13 The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare, #14 Rubyfruit Jungle, #15 John, Paul, George & Ben, #16 The Merchant of Venice (Bantam Anthology): Redux, #17 Dinotopia: A Land Apart from Time, #18 Trent's Last Case, #19 Cyrano de Bergerac: A Heroic Comedy in Five Acts, #20 Animal Dads, #21 Faggots, #22 A Day with Wilbur Robinson, #23 And Then There Were None, #24 Eating Between the Lines: The Supermarket Shopper's Guide to the Truth Behind Food Labels, #25 Henry IV, Part One, #26 Zami, A New Spelling of My Name: A Biomythography, #27 Twelfth Night, or What You Will (Bantam Anthology), #28 Murder Must Advertise, #29 Stagestruck: Theater, AIDS, and the Marketing of Gay America, #30 Angels in America, A Gay Fantasia on National Themes, Part One: Millennium Approaches, #31 The Tragedy of Macbeth (Bantam Anthology), #32 Stone of Destiny: The Story of Lady Macbeth, #33 Ian Pollack's Illustrated King Lear #34 Celtic Folklore Cooking, #35 Angels in America, A Gay Fantasia on National Themes, Part Two: Perestroika Revised Edition), #36 The Winter's Tale (Bantam Anthology), #37 Tolkien's Art: A Mythology for England, #38 The Body (Audio), #39 Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption (Audio), #40 Four Past Midnight: The Sun Dog (Audio), #41 The Tempest (Bantam Anthology): Redux, #42 World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War, #43 Science Verse, #44 Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich and Other Stories You’re Sure to Like Because They’re All About Monsters and Some of Them are Also About Food. You Like Food, Don’t You? Well, All Right Then, #45 Case Histories, #46 Time Bandit: Two Brothers, the Bering Sea, and One of the World's Deadliest Jobs, #47 Why Pandas Do Handstands and Other Curious Truths About Animals, #48 Rolling the R's, #49 Spooky ABC, #50 A is for Arches: A Utah Alphabet, #51 Raven: A Trickster Tale from the Pacific Northwest, #52 E is for Evergreen: A Washington Alphabet, #53 Beowulf (Longman Anthology), #54-60 The Harry Potter Series (Audio), #60 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Audio), #61 The Gingerbread Girl (Audio), #62 A Whale Hunt: Two Years on the Olympic Peninsula with the Makah and Their Canoe, #63 Heart-Shaped Box (Audio), #64 The Host, #65 Why War is Never a Good Idea, #66 Spicy Hot Colors: Colores Picantes, #67 To Everything There is a Season, #68 Charles Fort: The Man Who Invented the Supernatural, #69 Stick: Great Moments in Art, History, Film, and More..., #70 America: A Patriotic Primer, #71 A is for America: An American Alphabet, #72 Just How Stupid Are We?: The TRUTH About the American Voter, #73 Teaching Montessori in the Home: The Pre-School Years, #74 S is for Shamrock: An Ireland Alphabet, #75 The Brief History of the Dead, #76 The Ruins, #77 Marvel 1602, #78 The World That Made New Orleans: From Spanish Silver to Congo Square, #79 The Preservationist, #80 Duma Key, #81 Your Money or Your Life: Transforming Your Relationship with Money and Achieving Financial Independence, #82 The Wood Are Dark: Restored and Uncut, #83 Wild About Books, #84 Tarzan of the Apes

Old 08-05-2008, 06:34 AM

Emissary of Love- the phychic children speck to the world
by Neale Donald Walsch

This book is beautiful! It was loaned to me by my son's cranial sacral therapist just last week and I'm about to finish it. It's a great journey, hard to put down, and at 150 pages it makes for a great short satisfing read!
Old 08-05-2008, 11:04 AM

#100 What Was Lost by Catherine O'Flynn
I liked this one. Set in England in the 80's and more or less now. a young girl father dies soon after giving her a book on how to be a detective. She begins to watch/shadow people in her neighborhood and at the new nearby mall. She has a friendship with a young man in her neighborhood and when she disappears, he is suspected. A first novel.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:41 PM

#27 Garden of Eden and Other Criminal Delights, Faye Kellerman

Quote:
17 selections include two new tales about her series husband-and-wife team, LAPD Lt. Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus; two stories with family themes, one coauthored with Kellerman's two daughters ("The Luck of the Draw"); and a pair of autobiographical essays, one a poignant tribute to her late father ("The Summer of My Womanhood"). Kellerman's short stories may lack the intricate plotting of her novels but a typical effort like the title story, in which Decker notices some things out of place when a friend dies of an apparent heart attack, is never less than entertaining.
A nice collection of short stories by Faye Kellerman.

#1-Garden of Beasts, #2-Passporter Guide to WDW, #3-Skylight Confessions, #4 - The Secret, #5 - The Kite Runner, #6 - Gone, #7 - Hidden Mickeys, #8 - Into Thin Air, #9 - Wolf Point, #10 - Ocean Breezes, #11 - Harmony Guide to Cables and Aran, #12 - East, #13 - Getting Started Knitting Socks, #14 - Keeping Faith, #15 - The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight, #16 The Big Nap, #17 - Grave of God's Daughter, #18 - Daddy's Girl, #19 - Behind the Scenes at the Museum, #20 - America, #21 - The Little Friend, #22 - Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, #23 - Candyfreak, #24 - Devil in the White City, #25 A Playdate with Death, #26 - Lunch Lessons, #27 - Hidden, #28 Garden of Eden and other Criminal Delights
Old 08-06-2008, 12:30 AM

29. Breaking Dawn - Stephenie Meyer

The final installment of the Twilight Saga for those of you living under a rock (just kidding!) Anyway, I liked it. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars on goodreads. I can't really say anything more about it without major spoilers, so if you've already read it, you can click the link for the "books I'm reading" in my signature for my review.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
Old 08-06-2008, 02:06 AM

#17 Rebel Angels by Libba Bray

I loved it, but there was a few times I was like wake up and smell the obvious main character. But other than that I'm loving this series. Going to go sit down and start the last one.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

Old 08-06-2008, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

#85 Breaking Dawn
by Stephenie Meyer

My review of Breaking Dawn can be found HERE.

#1 The Time Machine, #2 The Shining (Audio): Redux, #3 Curious George, #4 Animal Farm: A Fairy Story, #5 The Tragedy of Othello, Moor of Venice (Bantam Anthology), #6 A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four, #7 "A Study in Emerald", #8 The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead, #9 Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them, #10 Quidditch Through the Ages, #11 On the Day You Were Born, #12 The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark (Bantam Anthology), #13 The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare, #14 Rubyfruit Jungle, #15 John, Paul, George & Ben, #16 The Merchant of Venice (Bantam Anthology): Redux, #17 Dinotopia: A Land Apart from Time, #18 Trent's Last Case, #19 Cyrano de Bergerac: A Heroic Comedy in Five Acts, #20 Animal Dads, #21 Faggots, #22 A Day with Wilbur Robinson, #23 And Then There Were None, #24 Eating Between the Lines: The Supermarket Shopper's Guide to the Truth Behind Food Labels, #25 Henry IV, Part One, #26 Zami, A New Spelling of My Name: A Biomythography, #27 Twelfth Night, or What You Will (Bantam Anthology), #28 Murder Must Advertise, #29 Stagestruck: Theater, AIDS, and the Marketing of Gay America, #30 Angels in America, A Gay Fantasia on National Themes, Part One: Millennium Approaches, #31 The Tragedy of Macbeth (Bantam Anthology), #32 Stone of Destiny: The Story of Lady Macbeth, #33 Ian Pollack's Illustrated King Lear #34 Celtic Folklore Cooking, #35 Angels in America, A Gay Fantasia on National Themes, Part Two: Perestroika Revised Edition), #36 The Winter's Tale (Bantam Anthology), #37 Tolkien's Art: A Mythology for England, #38 The Body (Audio), #39 Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption (Audio), #40 Four Past Midnight: The Sun Dog (Audio), #41 The Tempest (Bantam Anthology): Redux, #42 World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War, #43 Science Verse, #44 Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich and Other Stories You’re Sure to Like Because They’re All About Monsters and Some of Them are Also About Food. You Like Food, Don’t You? Well, All Right Then, #45 Case Histories, #46 Time Bandit: Two Brothers, the Bering Sea, and One of the World's Deadliest Jobs, #47 Why Pandas Do Handstands and Other Curious Truths About Animals, #48 Rolling the R's, #49 Spooky ABC, #50 A is for Arches: A Utah Alphabet, #51 Raven: A Trickster Tale from the Pacific Northwest, #52 E is for Evergreen: A Washington Alphabet, #53 Beowulf (Longman Anthology), #54-60 The Harry Potter Series (Audio), #60 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Audio), #61 The Gingerbread Girl (Audio), #62 A Whale Hunt: Two Years on the Olympic Peninsula with the Makah and Their Canoe, #63 Heart-Shaped Box (Audio), #64 The Host, #65 Why War is Never a Good Idea, #66 Spicy Hot Colors: Colores Picantes, #67 To Everything There is a Season, #68 Charles Fort: The Man Who Invented the Supernatural, #69 Stick: Great Moments in Art, History, Film, and More..., #70 America: A Patriotic Primer, #71 A is for America: An American Alphabet, #72 Just How Stupid Are We?: The TRUTH About the American Voter, #73 Teaching Montessori in the Home: The Pre-School Years, #74 S is for Shamrock: An Ireland Alphabet, #75 The Brief History of the Dead, #76 The Ruins, #77 Marvel 1602, #78 The World That Made New Orleans: From Spanish Silver to Congo Square, #79 The Preservationist, #80 Duma Key, #81 Your Money or Your Life: Transforming Your Relationship with Money and Achieving Financial Independence, #82 The Wood Are Dark: Restored and Uncut, #83 Wild About Books, #84 Tarzan of the Apes, #85 Breaking Dawn

Old 08-06-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
29. Breaking Dawn - Stephenie Meyer

The final installment of the Twilight Saga for those of you living under a rock (just kidding!) Anyway, I liked it. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars on goodreads. I can't really say anything more about it without major spoilers, so if you've already read it, you can click the link for the "books I'm reading" in my signature for my review.

I just need to know, does it end with some finality, or can we expect another in the series, maybe "high noon" or something?

#33 Diary of a Slummy Mummy (audio) – A fun, light-hearted read. I picked it on a whim and had my doubts but it was okay.

#34 The Host – I was very excited that this book was finally available from the library (I’m sixth on the waitlist for “Breaking Dawn” – hopefully it doesn’t take 18 weeks to get to me) but I was not as enthusiastic about it as I was the Twilight series. I disliked too many characters, even Jared and Mel, and found her writing style quite tiresome by the end. Only the last hundred or so pages could I consider mildly gripping. Maybe my expectations were just too high? And I agree with a PP, would a little sex be so criminal?
Old 08-06-2008, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendtoall View Post
I just need to know, does it end with some finality, or can we expect another in the series, maybe "high noon" or something?
Yes. Though there are one or two things she could grasp if (and that's a big "if") she wanted to ... but honestly, I don't see that happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendtoall View Post
#34 The Host [snip] And I agree with a PP, would a little sex be so criminal?
Read Breaking Dawn then. Read Breaking Dawn.

(Though Meyer is LDS (Mormon) so "a little sex" is not necessarily in the cards ever, though she surprised me in BD.)

Old 08-06-2008, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
"When You Are Engulfed in Flames" by David Sedaris

This was okay - definitely not laugh out loud funny like his others but his stories were still interesting to read.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Old 08-07-2008, 11:43 AM

#101 A Monstrous Regiment of Women by Laurie R. King

Another of the Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes mysteries -- the second in the series. I am really enjoying these -- they're quite intelligent -- and it's fun to know that there are several more before I run out. Thanks to whoever recommended them (nancy?).
Old 08-07-2008, 12:55 PM

Quaker Summer by Lisa Samson

A Christian fiction story about a woman who seemingly has it all -- the surgeon husband, a great son, the big house, etc. -- but is not happy. She continually buys new material things driving a wedge between her and her husband who is working extra to keep up with her spending. She also harbors guilt from being a childhood bully to two siblings that rode the bus with her -- something she thinks God is paying her back for since her own son is being bullied. An encounter with a nun and two Quaker sisters helps her to refocus her life.

Samson always creates some off-the-wall characters -- which I enjoy.

(1-04) (8-09)
Old 08-07-2008, 01:44 PM

Bufomander, it may have been me who recommended Laurie King....I am glad you are enjoying them, regardless! I admit to sort of losing interest in them after the first four? five? but maybe one day I'll get back into them. I went a few years reading almost NO fiction but now I seem to be interested again, so you never know!

She also does a mystery series featuring a female detective (Kate Martinelli) - I enjoyed those as well, though I don't think I've read them all.

I'm reading four books right now...but I don't like to post until I finish a book, so I'll wait.

(And for some reason, I felt it necessary to go to the library yesterday and check out four more books...?)

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.

User Tag List