September 2008 Book Challenge - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 127 Old 09-28-2008, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
#16 - The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger

Everyone else has probably already read this one, or at least knows what it's about, so I'll just say I liked it a lot.
#122 of 127 Old 09-29-2008, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
#44 Dragonfly in Amber – Just as wonderful as the first book! I can’t believe there is another coming out! I should have time to read them all before then, though (its not due until 2010).

#45 Breaking Dawn – This wasn’t the best of the series, but it wasn’t the worst. The tension was good (even though not sexual this time). I do see another book in the future… (Oh, and do we really need a guide to the series? Seems like a money grab to me.)

#46 Artemis Fowl (audio) – A great quick story; loads of fun. Nathaniel Parker does a fantastic job reading!
#123 of 127 Old 09-29-2008, 12:05 PM

"Those Who Saved Us" by Jenna Blum

Amazing, horrible book alternating between a German women's holocast story and her daughter who lives with the guilt of what she her mother did to survive and who she thinks her father is.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#124 of 127 Old 09-29-2008, 05:30 PM

45. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Borrows

Heart-warming is the best way to describe this book. Also hilarious, heartbreaking, touching, witty...All without being sentimental or gloppy, if you know what I mean. I don't give a lot of 5 star ratings, but I give this one 5 stars without hesitation.

Told entirely through letters, meet Juliet Ashton, author during WWII of a humorous column in a London newspaper, and now in the post-war reconstruction, she is looking for a new subject to write about. Entirely by coincidence, she starts corresponding with some residents of Guernsey, an English island that was occupied by Nazis during the war. She comes to know, and eventually visit with many of the small island's characters over the course of the book - and I do mean characters. Isola is particularly hilarious. Juliet discovers how the islanders resisted their occupation in both large and small ways, such as forming the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (as a cover for a pig-roast!) to sheltering slave workers and paying dearly for their transgressions. This book is both heartwarming and heartbreaking, but ultimately hilarious and unforgettable. All good things for a book to be. Highly recommended!

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#125 of 127 Old 09-29-2008, 06:16 PM

Serving crazy with curry by Amulya Malladi
The story opens with main character Devi attempting suicide after having an affair with a married man and losing their baby. Her attempt is thwarted by her nagging mother who sneaks into her home and finds her. After leaving the hospital, Devi refuses to speak but starts cooking delicious Indian meals with a twist based on her moods. The story is as much about Devi as it is about the rest of her family. While the premise is depressing, the book does not leave you feeling down.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
#126 of 127 Old 09-29-2008, 08:51 PM

Nature Girl by Carl Hiaasen

I missed book club but finished the book anyway. It was pretty good in an entertaining way. The tone and humor reminded me of the movie Raising Arizona. It was sort of an oddball caper with quirky characters and a crazy plot.

~Beth, mama to two amazing girls, ages 12 and 6~

#127 of 127 Old 10-01-2008, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

October's thread is up and running HERE

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page