what to read after The Red Tent? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-07-2003, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Though I didn't think The Red Tent was a great read, I just keep thinking about it, so that says a lot about the power of the book's theme/s. Now I'd like to read more, probably non-fiction, about women's connection to the moons, historical ceremonies of women's cycles/transitions, etc. I have read the DaVinci Code, which loosely hits some similar themes. Thanks for your recommendations. Slept under the (almost) full moon last night (next to the window, not in the grass).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2003, 02:24 AM

I loved Red Tent! I don't have any non-fiction suggestions but you might enjoy The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. It's an Arthurian story told from the womens point of view. Lots of goddess lore and moon ceremonies. It's a must read if you're interested in the goddess religions. If you enjoy it there are also 3 previouse story leading up to the Mists.
Old 11-09-2003, 12:33 AM

Do what I did.......read a bunch of other stuff to passify.....wait a few years then reread The Red Tent!!!!

{{{{The Red Tent}}}}}
My all time favorite
Old 11-09-2003, 12:59 AM

"The Lives of Rachel" and "The Books of Rachel" by Joel Gross

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 11-09-2003, 09:24 PM

Around the same time, I read the "Women of Genesis" books by Orson Scott Card (Enders Game author).

Sarah
Rebekah
& Rachel (coming soon)

I thought they were really good. They had some of the same "flavor" but were written about the Biblical "fathers" wives.

Thanks for the other suggestions!

Old 11-10-2003, 05:05 PM

I finished The Red Tent last night and was coming here for some ideas for another book. Yeah for posting this. My favorite book is called "One Is the Sun" by Patricia Nell Warren. Quotes from Back of book:

"A historical novel of Indian spiritual teaching, and of women dedicated to Goddess Earth.

Earth Thunder had fled the ruins of a Mayan temple-school in Yucatan, survivor of a hideous massacre of learned priestesses who had fought to defend their freedom from the white man's church rule. All her life she had journeyed north in search of people who wanted to know Mother Earth and her interlocking Circles of Life.

From a bustling city in Europe, a noblewoman sent her family across the ocean, to renew a spiritual link with the Native American people. To her thirteen-year-old grandniece Helle she entrusted a tiny globe, symbol of Freia, as her own ancestors had called the Earth.

In her quest to honor Life, and share her knowledge, Earth Thunder freed a slavegirl who would become her apprentice, River Singing. Golden-haired Helle also became Earth Thunder's apprentice. Together the two young women helped build a new temple-school in the Deer Lodge Valley of Montana. There they put into actionthe old count that teaches of Life: One is the Sun, Two is the Earth...Five is humanity, self and spirit.

And, when danger threatened-from a marauding highwayman and a hellfire preacher-one of the last centers of ancient learning and healing in the West would fight bravely, and leave its mark in Time..."

I highly recomend this book. I read it two summers ago and I think I will read it again if I don't find a new one soon. I will keep this book for my daughters to read as teens.

Mommy to Ryah 12, Reanna 11, Parker 6 and Cooper 3 months

User Tag List