The most entertaining, satisfying, well-written book I've read in years.... - Mothering Forums
Books, Music, and Media > The most entertaining, satisfying, well-written book I've read in years....
ACsMom's Avatar ACsMom 03:06 PM 10-06-2008
"World Without End" by Ken Follett. Oh my stars, you MUST read this! It's super-long, which turns out to be a good thing because you just don't want it to end.

Anyone else read it yet? What did you think? I'm just dying to talk about it with someone....ws3

abomgardner417's Avatar abomgardner417 03:11 PM 10-06-2008
I haven't read it but I'm putting it on my list now. Thanks for the rec!
chellemarie's Avatar chellemarie 09:31 PM 10-07-2008
Have you read Pillars of the Earth? Info from the author's site:

Quote:
World Without End is the sequel to The Pillars of the Earth. However, it doesn’t matter which you read first. The second book is set in the same town, Kingsbridge, but takes place two hundred years later, and features the descendants of the original characters.

Valkyrie9's Avatar Valkyrie9 02:54 PM 10-08-2008
I've read Pillars of the Earth (enjoyed it, but I was getting a little tired by the end--it's super long too), but I haven't read WWE yet. Thanks for the rec!
mommy2abigail's Avatar mommy2abigail 06:39 PM 10-09-2008
YES. I LOVE this book! And Pillars of the Earth by him as well. Excellent.
beansricerevolt's Avatar beansricerevolt 04:12 AM 10-11-2008
adding it to my super long list of books to read!
KristyDi's Avatar KristyDi 10:55 AM 10-11-2008
I LOVED Pillars of the Earth. I haven't read World Without End, but I did get the abridged audio version. I enjoyed that, but still want to read the book. I have a feeling they cut out some character development in the audio version.
ACsMom's Avatar ACsMom 03:44 PM 10-15-2008
Just realized these replies were here!

I have not read Pillars of the Earth but plan to. Before reading WWE I did see that piece from the internet about how it didn't matter which you read first. But now I want to go back and read Pillars, since WWE was so darn great. My husband also recommended Eye of the Needle, which is I guess the one that made Follett famous. I'll get to it, I'm sure!

So for those who read World Without End, did you feel like it was almost a series of short stories about a group of characters, that progressed along a time line? Maybe it was me, but it felt like each chapter could have been its own stand-alone short story in some ways. I don't know if I'm making sense or not. I've never read a novel that was quite like that before.
BookGoddess's Avatar BookGoddess 07:09 AM 10-16-2008
I loved Pillars of the Earth. It was the first Ken Follet book I read. I'll have to get my hands on World Without End. Thanks for the recommendation.
ColoradoMama's Avatar ColoradoMama 01:30 PM 10-16-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACsMom View Post
My husband also recommended Eye of the Needle, which is I guess the one that made Follett famous.
I've read On Wings of Eagles and Eye of the Needle by Follett. On Wings of Eagles was pretty good, but Eye of the Needle was fantastic! If you like spy novels - which I do - Eye of the Needle is very intriguing. I'd highly recommend it. Man, its been YEARS since I read that one.
AuntNi's Avatar AuntNi 05:31 PM 10-16-2008
I first read Pillars of the Earth years ago, and by now I've read it three times. Such a cool book - not like anything else I've ever read.

I actually liked it much better than World Without End, so hopefully you're in for a real treat when you get a chance to read it.
Katrinawitch's Avatar Katrinawitch 01:41 PM 03-10-2009
I'm bumping this post up, because I love this book! I had read "Pillars of the Earth" in the fall, on the recommendation of my mom. She just finished "World Without End", and brought it by over the weekend, and I dove right in.

I hadn't read any of Follett's other works, but I just love a good, juicy historical fiction novel. It's all of the details about life back then that mesmerize me. It's totally fascinating, learning about day-to-day life, the class system, how people earned their livings, the power of the church and the ruling lord class, even what they ate and wore, going back almost 1000 years ago!
Up